Forums

Topic: Final Fantasy VII, IX, X, X-2 and XII - Now with 80% more FF VIII

Posts 61 to 80 of 1,768

Magician

Anti-Matter wrote:

What makes so many GB for PS4 version ?

Up-rezzed, nicer textures = larger file sizes.

There's no doubt that the Switch version of FFXII will be de-rezzed and compressed to fit a 16GB cartridge.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Anti-Matter

@Magician
I really really hope, SquareEnix will NOT ruin the sounds volume quality when being played on Handheld mode. Street Fighter 30th Anniversary was an example of Very Quiet sounds on Handheld mode.

Anti-Matter

Krull

I guess many of these games are so old that they count as new for a lot of players. I haven't actually played any Final Fantasy games more recent than FFX, which is pretty much where I jumped off the series. A decent game, but it's also when Square Enix gave up any pretences that it was not simply channelling players down a single-track story. Kept waiting for that world map to arrive... Far prefer the preceding three PS1 games.

That said, FFXII is the entry I'll get on Switch, as it's the only one I've not played - apart from X-2, but I can't go back to that world! Also, FFXII is Ivalice, which is the best Square Enix setting (see Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story,).

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

JaxonH

Final Fantasy X was my first traditional JRPG I played through, and it's still one of my faves to this day.

For anyone new to the series, Final Fantasy X and XII are must owns, and if you can stomach the PSone graphics (even if they are touched up a bit from the PC port), Final Fantasy VII.

And even though its being ignored, Final Fantasy XV Pocket HD. Being more streamlined and story driven without the bland (it really was bland) open world makes it feel much more in line with traditional FF games. It's almost what FFXV would have been had they adhered to the traditional formula more. Im loving it, and I played most of the original! Especially for $18. Pocket change.

Also, World of Final Fantasy is fantastic, and more of a Pokemon styled (somewhat, anyways) FF game. Oh, Nintendo fans will love that one.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

darkfenrir

FF9 is definitely one of the best JRPG I ever played personally Not sure if I want to rebuy it though, I have bought it around 3 or 4 times by now and idk if I can muster the feeling of buying it again... T_T

If WoFF Maxima is giving tons of new story, gonna buy it though, I bought it at Vita and they aren't giving the DLC on Vita, only PC/PS4

darkfenrir

Eel

I could give it another try, never finished the game on PSP because space was very limited and I ended up deleting it. So maybe I can play it to the end on the switch.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

@Krull

FF12 and FF15 are both openworld-ish.

FF12 is segmented zones but very open and after the early stages of the game you can explore quite a lot. FF15 is a bit moreso although has a lot of invisible walls.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

bluemage1989

@darkfenrir I loved the story of FF7 still rates as one of the best ever in my opinion but FF9 was to me the better game in every other way.

Anyone know why FF8 is a no show?? The only pre FF9 game I haven't played. I missed FF10-12 as I never had a PS2 so looking forward to them.

bluemage1989

EvilLucario

@bluemage1989 Could be multiple reasons. For one, FFVIII is extremely divisive. You'll find that a lot of people who either hate it or love it for multiple reasons, from the characters (some think Squall sucks, I think he's actually pretty good) to the combat (easily broken and abusable yet also a bit convoluted and grind-heavy compared to IV, VI, VII, and IX) to any other random reason, FFVIII tends to get a lot of mixed reactions from fans.

A less spiteful reason though would just be that Square Enix lost the source code (which happens with them a lot) and therefore would just need to rebuild it.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

boop22

im just looking forward to FFVII, and maybe try FFIX. either way im pretty psyched for more FF

boop22

embison

Speaking just for me:

• I want 3/6 dangit. Come on Nintendo. Release the SNES FF games. Or would that be too virtual consolish, which we aren't allowed to have for some reason?
  • VII is a groundbreaking game. Assuming the price is right (it's $10 on the PS Store) everyone should get this, if only to see what the fuss is all about. If you only play until you reach the outworld, it's worth it.
  • VIII? It seems that Nintendo and I agree on its merits
  • IX? If somebody missed the PS1 FF games, this is the one to play all the way through first.
  • X/X-2? X-2 is top of my "embarrassing guilty pleasure" list.
  • XII? Ready to try it, assuming the price is right. More likely it'll come out at near/full price and I'll just pick up up for my PS3.
  • PS3??? Yeah, I know this is a Nintendo board. But I also love me some Sony Consoles.

The Wii U is still the world's best console. Buy one today!

Cineologist

I read somewhere that IX is the most "Final Fantasy" game of them all, if that makes sense.

I definitely recommend it as a starting point for those who haven't played any of the FF games. The music for VII, VIII, and IX is superb. I still listen to them on my iPod and Spotify.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4947-0280-9215 (Cinéphile)

DoomTurtle

The reason they're not doing FF8 right now is due to licensing issues with a song that's in the game.

I've only had Nintendo consoles, so I've never played any of these FF games, and I'm excited to play them all! Even so, I hope they do port over 1-6, FF4: The After Years, and even Mystic Quest. The SNES FF games are my top favorite RPGs!

DoomTurtle

bluemage1989

@EvilLucario I think the PSone Final Fantasy games in general were quite divisive I've heard plenty of hate and love for FF8 but the same goes for FF7 and FF9 (and FF10... and FF13... wait FF15 also actually maybe the whole series is divisive lols) but yeah maybe FF8 is the most divisive of all but I would have thought even being divisive if they could they would have released just to have the full line up so yeah I think your source code idea sounds (sadly) possible.

bluemage1989

hirokun

Hmmm. I don't really want to go back to the old FF games, but it is good for those who want them. For me, I'm looking forward to new games in the future. As much as I remember playing 8 and 10, I also remember giving up on them.

I sexually identify as a Pommelo

EvilLucario

@bluemage1989 VII and IX were pretty universally loved. VII nowadays gets a bit of hype backlash effect the same way BotW and other popular games get it, but it didn't change the fact that VII REALLY brought JRPGs into the mainstream.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

link3710

@EvilLucario I don't think they lost the source code, they ported it to PC after all. It just needs to be remastered still, unlike the others.

link3710

Mordridakon

iKhan wrote:

It's very simple. Octopath Traveler sold a bajilion units on Switch on a relatively low development cost, and Square Enix came to Nintendo running.

I agree, if Octopath Traveler had bombed, we wouldn't be getting these games.

Mordridakon

Anti-Matter

@EvilLucario
About FF VIII.
In term of leveling up, FF VIII was the Simplest and Fastest. Just every 1,000 points you leveled up. Other FF games you start from very small number EXP points and it will increased every levels.

Anti-Matter

Dezzy

EvilLucario wrote:

@bluemage1989 VII and IX were pretty universally loved.

Yep. Pretty much every public poll puts those 2 at the top. RPGSite did a huge poll earlier this year which got 10,000 people voting ( https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/6530-here-s-the-final-fantasy... ). The order was:

1.FF7
2.FF9
3.FF6
4.FF10
5.FF15
6.FF8
7.FF14
8.FF12
9.FF4
10.FF13

This is bizarrely the same as my own top 10. Except for FF14, cos I don't play MMOs

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic