Forums

Topic: FIFA 18 Switch

Posts 481 to 500 of 645

Lroy

@gcunit I'm up from 50 hrs played to 75. Noticed you are now on 90. We are Manager Mode addicts 🙌

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

QLM17

Does anyone want to play me in the tournament to get Special Callejon? There's never anyone in tournaments.

QLM17

Lroy

Approaching the mid-way point in the 3rd season in my Manager Mode - Professional Difficulty - Save File. After ten or so games played, my revamped Northampton side sit at the lofty heights of 2nd in the Premiership!!!

Also through to Quarter-Finals of the League Cup thanks to a recent penalty shoot-out win over Premiership rivals Swansea City. In-game cup rival Spurs await as our next opponents. Have either knocked them out or lost to them in League or FA Cup in each of my previous two seasons to date.

Proud to say this progress from League One minnows to Championship runners-up, to Premiership new boys was largely achieved by keeping the spine of the original side intact. Goalkeeper, Full Backs, Central Defenders, Midfield being largely comprised of original Northampton players.

Youth development and the signings of a dozen or so promising youngsters (including finally securing the three players I thought I'd already signed in a previous season but who never arrived?!) pushing into the first-team as seasoned first-teamers retire, regular training regimes and the implementation of custom Attacking tactics at home and custom Counter Attack away is really beginning to bare fruit. Often win 1-0 away, seldom lose by more than a single goal in defeats and am never out-played or out numbered in terms of chances created.

Have a nearly full squad with burgeoning youth filling any gaps in most postions. New recruits have all been brought in for cheap, only one, a promising attacking midfielder, Traore form Empoli, costing 1 million. My current record signing but even he isn't a guaranteed starter as the fringe-starlet to Bona-fide star man, Northampton's own Hoskins, is playing himself into the side each and every season with vital goals.

My strike force has failed to really ignite since moving up from League One and Championship level. I rarely score more than one goal in a game and that is shared across many players in the side.

Marc McNulty, previously my record signing at 650, 000 from Coventry City, wants a drastic and unaffordable wage increase. Looks like he'll be leaving on a Free as his contract ends at the end of the season. At least he is chipping in with occasional goals from the right side of my 3-man Forward line, whilst he is still here.

My trio of seemingly never ending 'short' loan deals are still the mainstays of my attacking postions. Each score once in every two or three or four games. Hence my search for a forward capable of claiming the League's Golden Boot continues and shall remain my top priority come the January Transfer window or the following Summer pre-season.

That said, my training regime seems to be working for Ayeni - one of my loanees from Burnley. He has now risen to around (71/72) Overall rating. Making him my highest rated Striker and among the highest rated players I have at the club (albeit if I don't own him).

Having used him mainly as a wide striker in the past season or more, he seems to be blossoming in a new central role up front. Netting a brace for me in my most recent League game. A 3-1 home demolition of Norwich City.

So perhaps Ayeni will prove a sufficient stop-gap until I can land a top striker of my own.

Edited on by Lroy

toiletduck

Lroy wrote:

Marc McNulty, previously my record signing at 650, 000 from Coventry City, wants a drastic and unaffordable wage increase. Looks like he'll be leaving on a Free as his contract ends at the end of the season. At least he is chipping in with occasional goals from the right side of my 3-man Forward line, whilst he is still here.

That's something you should try to avoid at all cost. Any chance of getting the budget to raise his salary, maybe even only for a few months and then sell him to get the budget available again? How far in season are you? Any chance on price money from cups? Otherwise: have you tried asking the board for a (small) extra financial injection? It's somewhere hidden in the finance menu or something.

If you're somehow able to prevent him from walking away as a free agent, you'll make up for it financially big...

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Zkibu

After my last post I played 5 games. 2 wins 2 draws and 1 loss. My Valencia was 11th after 7 games and three games without losing. Then after a home win against Athletic Bilbao I got an email from the chairman that my contract was terminated. I am pissed I had no idea that you could get sacked in this game and so early. I picked Huddersfield for my next club, but it feels too overwhelming to start again. I might take a break and start again with another career.

Edited on by Zkibu

Zkibu

Switch Friend Code: SW-3139-0887-1010

bluemage1989

ISS 64 and 98 wow they were something special I played FIFA up to 14 before I just burnt out on the series to the point that things I liked I couldn't enjoy because of minor things that bothered me more than it should. I made the change to Pro Evo and it kinda has that magic something I loved about the classic Konami N64 games I was really tempted to buy FIFA 18 on Switch but long story short it's not viable for me in my region. I hope to see Pro Evo on Switch sometime soon but if not this year I will be tempted by a possible FIFA 19 with improved features on Switch. It does worry me that the amount of FIFA sales that came because of the reduced price will mean EA will put minimum effort into a Switch FIFA 19 to reduce costs and look to sell it as a 'budget' portable FIFA companion to it's PS4 release

bluemage1989

bluemage1989

On a related note give me Super Mario Strikers!! Glad everyone here is enjoying FIFA 18 though don't want to sound like I'm a hater as it has given me some great times I just need something more from FIFA and I'm not even sure what that is!!

bluemage1989

Lroy

@Zkibu By pure coincidence, I was recently offered the Valencia Manager's job despite them still being in the Champions League and in the Top 10 of their League. Clearly, that is a club with a very demanding board. That's one of the reasons I always prefer to start with a small club with very achievable objectives from the Chairman.

That's probably been the biggest job offer I have had to date, I also got offered the Brighton job and numerous international posts with the likes of Bolivia, Chile, Ecuador, Austria, Bulgaria etc.

Turned them all down as sticking with Northampton until I win some major silverware (I am in the Final of the League Cup this season, still in FA Cup and aiming for a Top 5 Finish in my first season in the Premier League) and take them into European football competition.

Sorry to hear you were pushed out the door before you had even started. I'm not sure what Division Huddersfield are currently in, Championship or Premiership? But if it's of any help, I took a sticker of theirs Quaran (?) on loan and he was a great addition to my modest side as I was climbing up the divisions. Alas, his goals have become very sporadic and he is now a back-up for me as I spent some cash to bring in some promising youngsters.

Keep at it and let us know how you fare.

Edited on by Lroy

Lroy

@toiletduck Yeah, once January came, I requested more cash for the kitty and promised a lot in return - European Football next season and an extended cup run. Lordy! This is with Northampton Town, I pretty much went big or go home 😂

Managed to get 4 million for my transfer budget and spent that on two new strikers. Both young and promising. One was recommended here by @Retro_J - Christian Kouame from Cittadella. A bargain at 1.3 million despite the press saying I'd spent too much?! The other striker, I had my eye on for a while, Sylla (?) from Monaco. Paid a club record fee of 2.3 million. Both players have already scored for their new club and fingers crossed continue to do so.

I offered McNulty a better contract but still some way shy of the ridiculous 7,000 a week he wanted. Crikey! He has hardly been prolific for me and is currently on £750 a week. If he wants to walk, let him. I've got 52 players in my senior squad. Plenty of youth and cover in all areas.

Edited on by Lroy

gcunit

@Lroy 52 players? Are you sure all those players are earning their keep?

@Zkibu Sacked after 7 games is ridiculous, unless you'd been trounced in them all. Was that your first season with them?

I've been progressing more slowly, still in my first season with Fiorentina playing 6 minute halves. I have to admit to having done a little bit of quitting out of games and restarting from the last save. I don't like doing it, but I was so pissed because the game was cheating me, there's no other way to explain it:

Players through on goal getting bundled over in the box from behind without the opposition touching the ball... no penalty. Would be given with a red card if it had been me doing the defending.

Another time I was 1-1 against Juventus, and despite not having played particularly well we were really ramping up the pressure on the them around their box into the final 10 minutes and I could feel a winner was coming. My midfielder played a ball into my centre-forward's feet along the ground. My CF was well onside and didn't touch another player as he moved to receive the ball just outside their box. Free-kick given to Juventus. No ****ing reason whatsoever. I was absolutely fuming, I've never seen that happen in a football video game before (that I can remember). This game gives a few fouls to opposition for things that are largely beyond your control, handballs and the like, but I've never seen it just fabricate fouls before.

I wouldn't mind so much if I felt I got away with the occasional offside etc, but this game is brutally strict with its application of offside.

I don't like or want to cheat, but I won't accept the cpu cheating me. Not when I need every point I can get to try and keep my job.

I'm clear of the relegation zone now, but still about 18 points behind where the board wants me to be, with only about 10 games left to play. Every dropped point, every conceded goal, every missed chance and even loss of possession, comes like a hammer blow right now. Fortunately I've exceeded the board's expectations in the cup, so hopefully that will buy me some leniency in the league.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Zkibu

@gcunit Valencia's board was quite trigger happy. It was indeed my first season and first seven games with the club. I simulated the pre-season tournament. If I remember correctly the board wanted me to finish in Euro league positions so in other words atleast sixth. I was 3 points behind that position. Absolutely ridiculous.

Oh well. Time to move on In my home country English football is traditionally huge deal. Much bigger than our domestic league. This has nothing to do with Premier League's massive marketing all over the world. It just has been like this since the 70s. So the clubs in first two leagues are quite familiar and have fanbases here. Funny thing is that I have never heard of Huddersfield Town and it's a Premiership team.

I might try to continue with my 4-4-2 system, but change it more safer and modern shape with CDM:s in the middle. Like Atletico is using.

Zkibu

Switch Friend Code: SW-3139-0887-1010

gcunit

@Zkibu No shame in that, most people in the UK don't know Huddersfield Town are in the Prem either. I forget most of the time. Couldn't even point to Huddersfield on a UK map.

I guess after the Gary Neville debacle the Valencia board ain't gonna take no ****

I must be lucky to still be in a job then - the Fiorentina board want Euro league qualification too, and I was bottom of the league with barely a point after about 10 games.

Just played the return game against Genoa (the side we threw away a 2-0 lead against, as posted about previously). Went 2-0 up again... and held it like that to the final whistle. Justice.

Edited on by gcunit

Lroy

@gcunit Ha! Ha! Without knowing it I filled up about 25 squad slots with burgeoning youth players from my new academy. Will learn from that and not feel compulsory to promote every prospect with potential of 70 and over to the senior squad. Just that, I'd already had two 90 potential youth academy players poached away from me.

Going into next season I will trim things down a bit as I have an abundance of youth midfielders that whilst hot prospects, I simply can't accommodate with first-team action due to competition for places.

But it's a nice headache to have considering how threadbare my squad was back when I first took over the reins at Northampton.

Edited on by Lroy

gcunit

@Lroy Cripes, I don't have any youth academy players yet, haven't done much player scouting since the start of the season when I blew all my money on mediocre players, just been concentrating on improving performance on the pitch and saving money to hopefully buy a game changing player in the summer... if I'm still in the job.

In his first game back after a 3-month injury lay-off, one of my best players, Badelj, has just made a massive contribution by breaking the deadlock in a game we had no excuse not to win. Went on to our biggest win of the season, 4-0. Get in.

I've got no players in the top 25 league goal scorers. Juventus have 3 players in the top 10. Simeone is my highest scorer on 9.

Edited on by gcunit

SuperJoon

Might have to order this tonight, loving the stories everyone is sharing

Plus liking the World Cup update to come

PSN: SuperJoon84 | Xbox GT: SuperJoon

Nintendo Network ID: Superjoon | Twitter:

Lroy

@gcunit Ah glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't seem to be able to have a consistent top scorer to challenge for the division's Golden Boot then. Thought it was either I was too wasteful in front of goal, my strikers all previously below 70 overall rating weren't of high enough quality or something. But perhaps it is just a reflection of the system I play? Typically, to date, my main three strikers will get 10 goals a-piece each for the season and then my attacking midfielder might get about 8. The rest is like one or two goals each for the remaining postions.

However, I'm determined to try and improve on my chances to goals ratio and have spent what little money I had on Strikers with huge potential. So we'll see how it goes.

Am I the only one playing on Professional difficulty? It seems right for me for now but kind of feel I need to be playing on the same difficulty as you fellas to really share the experience of Managing and chatting here, lol!

gcunit

@Lroy If I knock up many more 4-0 wins I may need to leave World Class difficulty behind

To be fair to my man Simeone, on 9, he's a solid performer in front of goal, but when you have the start to a season we had, nobody's scoring and it wasn't down to him. Plus my system kinda relies on other players to exploit the areas he leaves around him.

Not sure where I'll spend my money when I go for that big ticket signing. Leandrinho has fallen right away in recent months and just can't seem to keep the ball, so it might be someone to play his role while he (hopefully) continues to develop.

How are people getting on with the training? If I do the drills myself then the players make good progress, but that's time consuming and if I simulate the drills they don't perform so well, and it's annoying you can only do 5 players a week, rather than the whole team.

Edited on by gcunit

Lroy

@gcunit I definitely recommend setting up a youth academy. It's basically a relatively low-cost way to churn out players for any position you need cover. I'd invest in two or three Youth Scouts depending on your available budget. Then give them instructions for the skill/general position required.

Task one of the scouts with searching in your domestic country. For you, Italy. Then send another to another county on the same continent and then thirdly to some far away place - Africa or South America for example.

Each month then you get a little report with a couple, then a few and then a whole team of youth players typically aged between 15 and 17.

The longer you assign the scout to search the better prospects he may uncover. I'd recommend signing any player in a position you are looking to recruit for who has potential to get an 80 or higher rating. Maybe even 75 plus.

Once these identified hot prospects players are signed to your club they will form your Youth Academy. Going forward you will get emails detailing more accurate and up to date estimations of their quality and their preferred positions. Again, I'd advise promoting to the senior squad any of these prospects who meet your positional requirements and who have estimated potential overall ratings of 75/80 or higher. You usually have to wait until they are about 16/17 before you promote them IIRC. Anyway, of course all of this is dependent on your wage bill and how many of the 52 squad slots you have available. But I'd urge you to snap the best of the best up quick even if you promptly send them out on loan as all the time they sit in your Youth Academy they can be stolen off you by another 'unnamed' without any for warning.

Edited on by Lroy

Lroy

@gcunit I've been simulating the training. I just don't see myself playing the drills every single week. I even skip them pre-match now whereas I used to play them all.

If anyone has a recommended regime, I'd love to hear it. Be much easier to just keep pre-loading a definitive drill, an offensive drill on a rotating basis.

Edited on by Lroy

Lroy

First-hand recommendations of players for Manager Mode.

I think we might of discussed this above and I certainly am very interested in doing it. I know their are lists out there and @Retro_J posted some useful links but what to my mind is most helpful are recommendations of specific players for specific postions that you have first-hand experience of finding successful for your team in Manager Mode.

That way, we can each add these to our shortlists in the game and cherry pick the 'proven' players for our own teams as needed.

I'm terrible at names but will try and get the names of the players I have found most useful in my Manager Mode career so far. I'll update this post with the names when I can.

UPDATE These are some of the promising players I have scouted and signed in my first three seasons at Northampton Town (Professional Difficulty).

These players have all managed to progress to the point of being first-team regulars or will be by next season.

If you want cover for your squad or manage a lower league team and are looking to build your promotion pushing team around hot prospects then these chaps are definitely worth your consideration:

Daniel Matsuzaka DEF CB (Left Footed) Age 19 approx. Original Club: Southend Utd. Bought for 300, 000. 61 Overall Rating approx but can progess fast with first-team games and training regimes. Currently at 66 Overall Rating for me and rising.

Ron Schallenberg MID CDM (Right Footed) Age 19 approx. Original Club: ? I've forgotten. A German club, lol! Bought for less than 500, 000. 62 Overall Rating approx. Currently on 64 Overall for me and will be a first-team starter next season.

Emil Bohinen MID CM (Right Footed) Age 18 approx. Original Club: ? A club in Norway. Bought for about 625, 000 or thereabouts. 66 Overall Rating approx. Currently on 69 Overall Rating for me and will be a first-team regular on his return from an anterior cruciate ligament injury. Ouch!

... more to follow

Edited on by Lroy

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.