Forums

Topic: FIFA 18 Switch

Posts 461 to 480 of 645

electrolite77

@Lroy

There's nothing particularly sophisticated about it. 3 Centre backs and 2 Holding Midfielders with 2 full backs that are allowed to attack. It only really works against cpu opposition because they never go wide but it's very effective. Usually I go for one AM with a free role and two Strikers though sometimes I make one of them a SS and one a target man. If I can get on the Switch later I'll put up some more detail.

Oh if the opposition do attempt to go wide and cross, quickly switch to all out defend and you can crowd the box.

I have to say that it works well at keeping a clean sheet, I'm still slightly less effective at the actual counter attacking and scoring bit. Just like a classic Mourinho team though,once I get in front I almost always win.

Edited on by electrolite77

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

Zkibu

I am using a classic flat 442. Formation itself maybe outdated compared to modern favorites 433 with inverted wingers and 4231. Still its strengths are two tight banks of four and strikers playing close together. Basically it is quite simple shape to deploy and play effectively. IMO best display of this formation is early 90's Arrigo Sacchi's AC Milan.

So I am trying to recreate that style in my seasons. I may have to change formation at some point if I am getting killed in the middle against three in the middle systems, but we'll see how it goes. Famous traits of Sacchi's style is relentless pressing game high up in the field and taking out the space in the middle effectively killing 10's and false 9's. "Interception high in opponent's area is the greatest playmaker". With the ball it is fast paced short passing with players overlapping and changing positions.

I have currently assigned both of my full backs to overlap, other cm to stay back, one striker to run behind and other one act as a target man. To encourage my team to do more overlaps and runs I have set my chance creation to Risky with lots of crosses and shots and adjusted positioning to free form instead of organised. Defensively my instructions are very high pressure and aggression with Offside trap.

Instead of Blackburn I picked Valencia. They are a good Spanish side already using by default the flat 442. So I just needed to adjust the instructions and tactical settings. I played one test match with world class AI against Atletico and I won 1-0. My goal was amazing team effort which got me hooked finally for this game.

Zkibu

Switch Friend Code: SW-3139-0887-1010

gcunit

Has anyone done much with the 'Training' in the manager career mode? I see you can do the drills yourself (seems very time consuming when it's only one player at a time) or just simulate them. Wondering if there's much benefit to putting the thought and time into it.

@Zkibu Wow, love the appliance of classical 90s Milan tactics, sounds formidable.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Zkibu

@gcunit thanks I'll report later how my season goes with my strategies. I am using 6 minutes half times with world class AI. With the difficulty I am not expecting huge amount of success. Instead there should be lots of games where I need to just sit back and play without the ball meanwhile slowly improving my team and my playing skills.

I have no idea how beneficial the trainig drills really are, but I think that you are able to focus or speed the development of your prospects with weekly drills. Especially if they are not in your starting XI.

Zkibu

Lroy

Nothampton Town had an eventful second half of the season with the Manager going to the Board with cap in hand to ask for more cash for much needed transfer activity, promises of a promotion push and an FA Cup run were made, changes to formation and system for both home and away games. A barren period for the strikers and inconsistent form, including a crucial 2-1 defeat to Brighton in the Championship Title run-in despite leading the game and having beaten the same team previously in the reverse fixture. A Fifth Round replay 1-0 defeat to Spurs ending our FA Cup hopes... but once the dust was settled we managed to put some wins together, the new faves at the club and some of the old guard contributing key goals, to eventually finish runners-up to Brighton. We effectively gave them the title we that aforementioned defeat as we ended 3pts behind them. But overall still an incredible achievement. Back to back promotion and now pre-season begins for Northampton as a Premier League club.

Will try and post some more specifics e.g. tactics, formation and players I am signing when I have more time.

Hope your seasons are progressing well? I've put in another 15hrs since my recent post about hitting the 50hr mark, several late nights and fuzzy head in the morning ☺️

Edited on by Lroy

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

toiletduck

Lroy wrote:

Free transfers aye? Any recommendations? Not tried this out in my career save yet.

Really depends on where you need some extra legs. E.g. my full back positions were really weakly covered, so I scouted a 65-ish RB for around 8k salary. Salary is typically higher for a free agent, but it pays of versus transfer value.

Another word of advice: scout for specific players in positions you need and search for players with less then a year in contract. Specifically when you're in the lower leagues (<72 avg), you can sign a lot of high value free players. You can sign them in the winter window so that they will arrive in the next summer. Make sure you have some spare salary budget.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Zkibu

I simulated the pre-season friendly cup. 2 draws and 1 loss. My season started at home against Las Palmas. Very low event game, I couldn't press as high up in the middle as much I wanted because of opponent's man advantage in the middle and clever passing. 0-0 after full time. I made one stupid sliding tackle inside my own penalty area, but saved the penalty shot.

Next game was in Bernabeu against Real Madrid I actually dominated the first half. Real played constantly fast high through balls to Cristiano Ronaldo which my defense coped easily. I created some chances but couldn't score but instead scored a silly own goal. Tried to clear the ball after corner but it hit my own defender and bounced back to the net.

Second half started great. I scored my first season goal (Coquelin). Played well after the equaliser well, but messed up second own goal, when my defender blundered a harmless cross to own net. After that I tried to press with risk and Real just outplayed me and scored third time. 3-1 unlucky loss to the European champions.

I am not going to do big changes after two games, but I am going start with Attacking mentality. I feel my team is still too static in attacking third.

Edited on by Zkibu

Zkibu

Grumblevolcano

The rumour is true, World Cup is a free update:

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haruki_NLI

Im still curious as to the fact that Sony has marketing rights yet Nintendo can advertise this game as much as they want

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

SuperJoon

Im hoping this is going to come back down to Β£21-24 it was back in February time, I would invest again if it did.

Nice free update!

PSN: SuperJoon84 | Xbox GT: SuperJoon

Nintendo Network ID: Superjoon | Twitter:

Meesh

Finally an announcement for World Cup DLC!

Though I suppose there is no chance of an online world cup mode with friends for us switch owners? It would hace been a blast to get a group of us from here for it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0182-8684-8029

Lroy

Great news! I'm currently addicted to Manager Mode and steering lowly Northamton Town to an away win at Arsenal in their first Premiership away game of the season. Awesome game.

World Cup DLC - Free = tremendous stuff. One of the last FIFA games I owned before FIFA 18 on Switch was FIFA WORLD CUP 2010 SOUTH AFRICA.

Edited on by Lroy

OorWullie

@Lroy The last World Cup FIFA I owned was World Cup 98 on N64.Incidentally it was also the last World Cup Scotland qualified for.

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Mr Mustard πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡­
SW-6101-8403-1640

πŸ•ΉοΈ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards πŸ•ΉοΈ

Lroy

@OorWullie Remember it well. Great game, spent many a night on the N64 with all the lads playing through the entire World Cup multiple times. Henry was an insanely fast winger back then.

But back in those days ISS'98 was king of the footie games.

N64 was a terrific machine for local multiplayer.

EDIT How's your Manager Mode Save File going? I've been dabbling more and more with the game. Training regimes, Youth Academy development, scouting the most promising players for my transfer shortlist. Wily Loan deals to get players I otherwise couldn't afford. Set custom tactics for home and away matches.

Built up a modestly impressive side heading into my third year at the helm of Northampton Town. Back to back promotions as runners-up in League One and the Championship has seen me turn this minnow into a Premiership debutant.

Playing on Professional difficulty with this Save File. Really, really enjoying it. Not ready to start over on World Class yet. Will need to learn how to use skill moves and modifiers before I feel comfortable doing that I suspect.

Edited on by Lroy

Lroy

Seeing as a fair few of us are currently playing or have invested game time in the past in the Manager Mode of FIFA 18, I wondered if anyone could recommend a clinical finisher up front for me to buy?

I know there are lists of recommended players online but I want to hear from you folk. Ideally, an attacker, striker or centre forward you personally have experience using to great effect in your Manager Mode career.

The ideal player I am looking for is someone who tends to finish every chance he has or as close to that as possible. So I'm assuming finishing, pace, strength, dribbling and distance shooting are vital stats?

This player is most likely going to be a promising youngster as it isn't of much use to me suggesting established World Class forwards as I won't ever be able to persuade them to join my modest little team.

I'm finding actually scoring the multitude of chances I create in every match to be the single biggest hurdle facing my team and their chance of Premiership survival.

So please, anyone out there know of a striker who can be relied upon to score if given a chance on a plate?

toiletduck

Lroy wrote:

The ideal player I am looking for is someone who tends to finish every chance he has or as close to that as possible. So I'm assuming finishing, pace, strength, dribbling and distance shooting are vital stats?

Add shot power to your list of requirements and preferably a strong weak foot. What's your game style? If you tend to come in from the wings every now and then, heading accuracy and jumping are also important of course.

What's your budget - wage/transfer? What's your current squad avg? If you're somewhere between 65-75 there should be a lot of options. Perhaps some players from the lower leagues of the top 5 competitions? Or the top teams of lower competitions? Specific scouting could be your answer. I think there's also websites where you can search the database. And if you've found a transfer target, you can always feel how he plays in a friendly match outside of your manager mode.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

gcunit

My lesson from the last 48hrs is... when you've fought for progress to the point where you can beat Inter 3-0 from home, don't stop playing (or just stop forever).

I took a break for a day and now I just can't re-find that form. Heartbreaking. Puts pay to any hopes I may have had of Europa League qualification. My chance creation ability has vaporised. Dejected.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

QLM17

Packed TOTS Gomez and he is absolute beast.

QLM17

Lroy

@RETRO_J @ToiletDuck Thanks so much for the tips gents. Really appreciate it. Early season in the Prem is going well for lowly Northampton. We have beaten the likes of Arsenal, Brighton and Leicester as well as holding Liverpool and Stoke City to 0-0 draws despite totally dominating those matches. Lost to Everton at home though. Again, created more chances than them but they scored theirs. That's the difference.

Just need that killer goal machine up front to take my side to the next level. Survival in the league could then be transformed into pushing up the table and defying even the most outlandish expectations.

Will try and save some cash for the January transfer window and see if I can land a couple of the players you suggested. Plus that tip of trying them out in an exhibition match outside of the Manager Mode was golden. Why I hadn't thought of that, doh! ☺️

Edited on by Lroy

Lroy

@QLM17 Who is this? Full name, club? Age?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.