Forums

Topic: FIFA 18 Switch

Posts 361 to 380 of 407

dav2612

@JaxonH

Harsh on the Vita version I feel. Personally I thought it played a good game of football and certainly the best handheld football there had ever been at the time. A factor that some people, like yourself, say should be the focus of the Switch version.

I'd disagree with your comment that you get 2 versions in 1 with the Switch game. The console allows you to play on TV or portable, the game itself isn't giving you any extra versions.

My take on it all is that the negative reviews I have read come across as harsh. The comparison to other versions is as applicable as comparing PS4 and Xbox One versions of the same game or comparing MK8 or Rayman Legends to the Wii U equivalents. Comparisons need to be made so those of us fortunate enough to own more than one console can make an informed decision. I don't however think these differences should be reflected in score and neither should the price.

"(just think about that for a second, a story... in a sports game"... strangely I think that was the best thing that has happened to FIFA in years and therefore a big factor. But judging by the % of people who got the achievement for completing The Journey, I'm in a minority.

dav2612

YummyHappyPills

I always maintain a game should be reviewed as what you pay for not what its contemporaries or other versions are.

Because after all...you arent paying £60 for those. Those are irrelevant to you. You want to hear about the game you ARE buying.

Switch FC: SW-5242-2997-2115

JaxonH

@dav2612
My intention wasn't to knock the Vita version, but to draw a comparison. And in order to do so, it's necessary to point out how short it fell in comparison to console versions at the time. I'm sure it was a fine game. In fact, I don't disagree with the praise or score they give it. I'm using it as an example to show why I disagree with their evaluation of the Switch version. They didn't unfairly praise the Vita version, they unfairly panned the Switch version.

I understand the story mode is a neat mode. But being perfectly honest, you buy a basketball game to play basketball. You buy a soccer game to play soccer. Not saying it has no value- it does, but it's omission is hardly detrimental to the game. I would have loved to see it, but it's nothing to get too bent out of shape over.

As for the portability, it really is like 2 versions in 1. I mean, if you wanted a game on console and handheld before, you'd have to buy it on PS4 and on Vita. And even then, hope you get cross save. You buy a Switch version, you get the console version. But when you leave and want to play on the go, you don't have to buy a separate handheld version. You've got it already.

Again, that's thanks to Nintendo, not EA, but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how or why a game offers the value it does, all that matters is it does. You can't just ignore the fact you get a console + handheld version in one with every Switch game.

I do appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

PLAYING
Switch: Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Resident Evil Revelations 1/2
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
PSVR: Skyrim VR, DOOM VFR
Vita:
X1X: Wolfenstein 2
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

SLIGEACH_EIRE

You get a gimped home console version and I don't care about portability.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

kobashi100

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

They were able to play The Journey and able to play against friends online in FIFA 17. You can't on Switch and other less subtle differences. They also didn't try to sell a year old product at full price. But then a lot of developers are doing that on Switch. In some cases, the games are years old and still full priced. Someone's got to try swindle and hoodwink Switch owners.

You just completely ignored what I said. Read it again and actually see why I said they look a bit silly

kobashi100

OorWullie

All I know is FIFA on Switch is superb, I love it. I say that as someone who bought every single FIFA from the original through to 2009 and who plays each new entry on my mates Xbox when I'm back in the UK. Any football fan who only games on Nintendo and doesn't own this game, you're missing out big time. I've never been a handheld gamer myself yet Switch has converted me. Splatoon 2,ARMS and BOTW are my TV games, the rest are my handheld or table top games. Not because I need to but because I want to as games just feel better on Switch. Fact!

Edited on by OorWullie

Switch Friend Code: SW-6101-8403-1640

Nintendo Network ID: Ar_Tee_Es

gcunit

dav2612 wrote:

Comparisons need to be made so those of us fortunate enough to own more than one console can make an informed decision. I don't however think these differences should be reflected in score and neither should the price.

IDK - the NL review of FIFA 18 bent me out of shape - it felt almost more of a review of the PS4/XB1 version than it did the Switch version.

I can understand an 8/10, no problem. A FIFA game will never get a 10/10, so it would have to be pretty amazeballs to get a 9/10, and therefore 8/10 is fine here. But the text of the review seemed to be going out of its way to steer readers towards other consoles. Completely unnecessarily.

The IGN review is just a joke.

All that's actually needed is a bullet point list of features - by all means presented as a comparison table of PS4/XB1/Switch, and let us decide which version works best for us.

I've just held an Ignored Users amnesty on my account. 20+ users are back in the game with an extra life - make it count :)

Currently playing: Rocket League - Chess Ultra - Super Mario Odyssey - FIFA 18

SW-3124-5612-5724

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

dav2612

JaxonH wrote:

@dav2612
I understand the story mode is a neat mode. But being perfectly honest, you buy a basketball game to play basketball. You buy a soccer game to play soccer. Not saying it has no value- it does, but it's omission is hardly detrimental to the game. I would have loved to see it, but it's nothing to get too bent out of shape over.

The absence of the story mode isn't detrimental to the gameplay as such but it is to the overall package, or at least it is for me. I'd happily lose FUT and have The Journey in its place. Others will scoff at that suggestion. For my tastes/interests, it is a significant portion of content that is not there. Whether that matters is going to an individual preference but if EA released the Switch version at say £10/$10 less than the PS4/Xbox One version then I don't think there is even a conversation to be had. But they didn't.

Re Vita lack of criticism. The internet is a lot more critical these days and we analyse to the nth degree - videos comparing resolutions and frames per seconds for instance.

dav2612

Hughesy

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

You get a gimped home console version and I don't care about portability.

So why are you here then? Other than to troll. If there’s something I don’t care about I don’t waste anytime on it....

Switch friend code: SW-3225-7165-4815

JaxonH

@Hughesy
I hit that ignore button a long time ago, and I recommend you do the same. It's a lot more peaceful- some people are just unhappy, and misery loves company, as they say. Only purpose of being here is to try to piss in your Cornflakes.

PLAYING
Switch: Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Resident Evil Revelations 1/2
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
PSVR: Skyrim VR, DOOM VFR
Vita:
X1X: Wolfenstein 2
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

flapjack-ashley

I have had FIFA 18 since launch and I have enjoyed it. Sure I would have liked it to be fully featured like the other consoles, but it plays very, very smoothly and I have had a blast with it.

Twitter/Instagram: flapjackashley

Switch Friend Code: SW-0100-0243-5950 | My Nintendo: flapjackashley | Twitter:

kobashi100

@flapjack-ashley I am not a FIFA fan at all but this is what I see across multiple forums. Switch owners are enjoying playing FIFA. No matter how much someone is trying to change that opinion it's good to see people like the game.

kobashi100

Hughesy

@JaxonH Done, cheers😀

Switch friend code: SW-3225-7165-4815

OorWullie

Good to see this thread is fairly active, it seems everyone who owns the game is happy with it. It is a real shame we can't play each other. We could have organised a mini tournament.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6101-8403-1640

Nintendo Network ID: Ar_Tee_Es

flapjack-ashley

@OorWullie Well, there is always hope for a patch of some sort.

Twitter/Instagram: flapjackashley

Switch Friend Code: SW-0100-0243-5950 | My Nintendo: flapjackashley | Twitter:

gcunit

@Ervex_109 Please just hit the ignore button. And the report button. By quoting it and confronting it, you're just perpetuating it and even people ignoring that user will see it. Report and ignore is easy and effective.

I've just held an Ignored Users amnesty on my account. 20+ users are back in the game with an extra life - make it count :)

Currently playing: Rocket League - Chess Ultra - Super Mario Odyssey - FIFA 18

SW-3124-5612-5724

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

@gcunit I seen his remark, had a whole response written out to them but I didn't want to engage them or start an argument. There was nothing wrong with what I wrote. This game has more mixed reviews than positive on Metacritic. That's a fact, it has less features than on other platforms, that's a fact. You can't in 2017 do something as basic as play online against friends, that's a fact. EA, don't deserve to be rewarded for shoddiness and charging the same price for a lesser experience. I don't slight games like for example Stardew Valley or Golf Story. Why is that? It's because they're great games that put the effort in and remember, they're indie developers. They've a fraction of the resources EA have at their disposal and put them to shame.

People have their views and they're entitled to them. I have mine and don't attack anyone for being on the pro side of this game. I posted reviews, they're as valid as anybody elses. People can't let it go unchallenged though. They have to say something. I can't even tell you when I last reported a comment, maybe you can. It must be a few of months at least. We're not made of glass or maybe I've grown a thicker skin. I think I may just post the reviews and ignore the responses in future.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Soroush2023

@SLIGEACH_EIRE , i completely agree with you..really i dont like ea but iam trying to see company and games that they make or published seperately.

Edited on by Soroush2023

Soroush2023

JaxonH

@OorWullie

It's nice knowing that, no matter what, we'll always have this game to fall back on for Switch. Even if they never bring a new entry (which I think they will, but let's just assume they don't) this is a solid game and honestly it could last me- as far as soccer is concerned- all generation. I don't really follow the sport so the new entry each year isn't necessarily a big deal to me. I mean if they do bring a new one I'll probably grab it but I'd be content just playing this. Same for NBA 2k18.

I like the drills. They really help you get better at the game. I wish Nintendo had video capture- I used Ronaldo to head a goal in from a corner kick, and it was so glorious man... oh it was so slick! One day we'll have video capture. That'll be so nice.

PLAYING
Switch: Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Resident Evil Revelations 1/2
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
PSVR: Skyrim VR, DOOM VFR
Vita:
X1X: Wolfenstein 2
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

Leon_Kennedy

JaxonH wrote:

@OorWullie

It's nice knowing that, no matter what, we'll always have this game to fall back on for Switch. Even if they never bring a new entry (which I think they will, but let's just assume they don't) this is a solid game and honestly it could last me- as far as soccer is concerned- all generation. I don't really follow the sport so the new entry each year isn't necessarily a big deal to me. I mean if they do bring a new one I'll probably grab it but I'd be content just playing this. Same for NBA 2k18.

I like the drills. They really help you get better at the game. I wish Nintendo had video capture- I used Ronaldo to head a goal in from a corner kick, and it was so glorious man... oh it was so slick! One day we'll have video capture. That'll be so nice.

Can you save your replays? You used to be able to in pro evo.

Re: another one next year, I don’t know if I would buy it every year but was really hoping the game would be a success as it would encourage more 3rd party support and we’d maybe get pro evo as well if the appetite was shown to be there

Leon_Kennedy

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic