Forums

Topic: FIFA 18 Switch

Posts 101 to 120 of 645

electrolite77

@Hughesy

Cool. I preferred 16 to 17 TBH. PES was much better last year IMHO.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

dkjc2018

@Hughesy This was the Polygon Review - Most importantly, the engine manages to deliver action at 60 frames per second, with resolutions of 1080p when the Switch is docked and 720p when undocked. We were also impressed by the visuals, whether playing on a TV or with the Switch in our hands. The game certainly looks better than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions, with the players’ detailed uniforms being a particular highlight.

dkjc2018

Hughesy

None of that addresses my point though. If it played the same as FIFA 18 on PC but with worse graphics I wouldn’t mind, but it plays like an old FIFA.

Switch friend code: SW-3225-7165-4815

Jeronan

@Hughesy It only looks that way, because The Journey mode is not included in the Switch version.
The Journey was added last year with FIFA17.

They have explained that in numerous interviews as to why!

While FIFA18 on the major consoles is just an iteration on the previous version, the Switch version of FIFA18 has been built from scratch on a custom engine!
It is a FIFA18, with all the content, teams, players, etc of the major console version with exception of The Journey mode. That's it.
They just didn't had enough time to get the Journey mode in and instead focused on getting the gameplay and performance right instead!
It's better to have a polished excellent game, then a sloppy port like NBA2K18.

They said, if FIFA18 is a success on the Switch, they might include the Journey in the next version.

If you are so hang up on the absence of The Journey mode, then buy the other console version instead.

Jeronan

gcunit

@Hughesy Buy it on PC then, but you'll never be able to carry on playing while you nip to the toilet.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Hughesy

@gcunit Eew.... I never play my Switch on the toilet. 🤢

Hughesy

Jeronan wrote:

@Hughesy It only looks that way, because The Journey mode is not included in the Switch version.
The Journey was added last year with FIFA17.

They have explained that in numerous interviews as to why!

While FIFA18 on the major consoles is just an iteration on the previous version, the Switch version of FIFA18 has been built from scratch on a custom engine!
It is a FIFA18, with all the content, teams, players, etc of the major console version with exception of The Journey mode. That's it.
They just didn't had enough time to get the Journey mode in and instead focused on getting the gameplay and performance right instead!
It's better to have a polished excellent game, then a sloppy port like NBA2K18.

They said, if FIFA18 is a success on the Switch, they might include the Journey in the next version.

If you are so hang up on the absence of The Journey mode, then buy the other console version instead.

Where did I say anything about the story mode? I’m on about the actual gameplay. Story mode sucks anyway, I played it once and that was enough. At no point have EA said the actual game of football plays differently, just that it uses a different engine.
I still haven’t cancelled my pre order, I just wish EA would come out with the truth, because as it stands it seems like PS Vita all over again.

Edited on by Hughesy

OorWullie

After playing FIFA 18 at my mates last night, I'm glad the Switch version doesn't play the same. The first game I played ended with the score 6v5 which is ridiculous. It's all attack, attack attack. Midfield might as well not exist. If I remember correctly FIFA 16 was much more revolved around midfield battles and counter attacks. Perhaps a bit too much though as nearly all games would be low scoring affairs,still I prefer that than every game ending up with a cricket score. There needs to be a balance. After all these years you would think EA would have found it.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

electrolite77

@OorWullie

Unusual that 18 is a really open version. In my experience FIFA usually alternates between one year being very arcade-y and the other low scoring. FIFA 16 was really good because the midfield actually mattered and you could set your team up to defend. Last year's version was awful because pace in attack won out every time. Even Ashley Young was rinsing everybody with the ball at his feet! I'm crossing everything the Switch version is closer to 16.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

Gex91

I wonder why no one seems to have reviewed the Switch version. Are reviews not allowed yet? If so, that would be sketchy, seeing the frostbite version got reviewed last week.

Gex91

Scal_Capone

@Gex91 Hasn't it been the case that almost all Switch games haven't been reviewed until after release? I could be wrong.

Scal_Capone

Switch Friend Code: SW-0430-6686-6417

Scal_Capone

FIFA is now showing in the E Shop, marked up at £54.99 GBP.

Scal_Capone

Switch Friend Code: SW-0430-6686-6417

Gex91

@Scal_Capone
I'm not sure about that myself either tbh. Just found it strange that firstly, there is no demo for Fifa switch and secondly there isn't a single reviewer score to be found on Metacritic. I just hope it is as good as Fifa can be on a portable/ home console hybrid and that it's not like the 3DS versions, which were absolutely dreadful to play imo.

Edited on by Gex91

Gex91

Spoony_Tech

@Scal_Capone Most games get reviewed before release but it can very to one day before or 4 to 5 days before. Not every game gets review copies sent out and sites have to purchase them on their own. Hope that's not the case here and it's just a later embargo then the others.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

JaxonH

I'm not worried about this game in the slightest.

It's 1080p/60fps docked and 720p/60fps handheld, isn't intrusive with microtransactions, is confirmed to be a solid game via other version reviews. So the only thing left in the air is if this version is stable without a mountain of bugs.

And judging by all the gameplay and people who demoed it, it looks and plays fine. I think EA just didn't want people making a 1:1 comparison with other versions by sending out review code at the same time, because then people would say oh well it's missing the story mode and it doesn't look quite as good because it's on a different engine, and slam the game. They really want people to look at this as it's own independent release, and I think (PS4/X1 version aside) this is probably the best FIFA ever released. It's more than just "good for a handheld", it looks straight up good. Which also happens to be incredible for a handheld.

Would have been nice to have the story mode like NBA 2k18 but, it would have likewise dropped resolution to 720p and framerate to 30fps. While that is still totally playable I appreciate the peak performance of this game, and am happy to forego the story mode to achieve it (and obviously, once this new patch drops for the Switch version, NBA 2k18 will be a much better game and will need to be re-evaluated- I don't want to make unfair comparisons).

But ya, I wouldn't worry about it. I was reading an article and the team seems really proud of this release. Definitely broke through the stigma of previous Nintendo versions and handheld versions of FIFA.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Spoony_Tech

@JaxonH And yet no demo. What are they afraid of. I still want it as It does look really good but you're going to have to convince others on the fence and a demo goes a long ways to showing how much you trust you have a good game.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Gex91

The reviews for the ps4 and Xbone versions came rolling in like a week ago. I wouldn't have been surprised if EA handed out review copies of the Switch version a bit later so the game isn't compared to the aforementioned versions directly. But...the game comes out in 2 days! And there isn't even a single review of this version online. A mod on Eurogamer even said the following: "I plan to give it a shot and at least write some impressions when it's out". That doesn't sound like they even feel like writing a review on this "lesser" version. If it truly is such a great handheld Fifa then why hasn't there been a demo? And why don't there seem to be any review copies/has the embargo not been lifted? I can't imagine that there are no reviews because of other reviewers sharing the same sentiment as the Eurogamer mod. There has to be another reason. I still have it in pre-order but I find it a little bit odd that there still isn't any information about the quality of the retail version of the game.

Edited on by Gex91

Gex91

Hughesy

Mine has just dispatched from Amazon🙂

Jeronan

I just noticed it finally showed up in the Coming Soon section of the e-Shop.

What is disappointing however, that it only shows pictures of different UI elements showing game modes, but no gameplay pictures or any video whatsoever! :-/

Jeronan

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.