Forums

Topic: Dragon Quest XI + I, II, III & Beyond

Posts 541 to 560 of 705

Ralizah

73 hours in now. I've finished the majority of the non-2D mode quests (haven't even visited Tickington in all this time, lol), and am ready to tackle the Fortress of Fear. I'm glad to know that there's essentially an entire third act to this game, because the time seemed to pass quickly. Too quickly.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

komodo182

Anyone pick up 2 or 3 since they are on sale?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6361-0099-3716

Magician

Just started Act II, thirty hours in. This is my lunch-break game, so I've just been slowly picking away at it. I assume I'm what...only a third of the way through the game? I've really enjoyed my time so far, but I'm afraid I won't get through the game before AC:NH arrives. DQ XI will have to be shelved as AC:NH is going to be my main game for several months.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Tasuki

Got back into the demo again and it still amazes me how great this game looks on the Switch. I am 13 hours into the demo and can't believe how long this demo is.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Ralizah

@Tasuki I got the Switch version with portability in mind, but mainly ended up playing it on the TV. It looks GREAT docked. Portable mode isn't bad, but it's one of those games where I want it to look as good as possible.

I don't regret going for the Switch version, though. I wouldn't want to play this without the orchestral OST and faster battle mode. And they apparently made the forging a lot less annoying in this version.

Tasuki

@Ralizah I play most of my Switch games docked, I have never been one for portable gaming. I can't compare this version to the PS4 version cause I passed on the PS4 version for this one. I am just waiting for the Switch version to get as low as the PS4 version.

My Backlog

Ralizah

@Tasuki Good luck with that. It's a Nintendo published title, so I'm guessing $39.99 is the hard bottom it'll drop to years from now in a sale.

Edited on by Ralizah

Tasuki

@Ralizah It's not published by Nintendo it's Published by Square. So I figure in a few months or so it will be down to $19.99 like the PS4 version did after a year or so after release.

My Backlog

Ralizah

@Tasuki It's published by Nintendo in both the UK and the US. Feel free to check that out on the game's product page on Nintendo's website if you don't believe me.

Edited on by Ralizah

Tasuki

@Ralizah That's the only site that mentions Nintendo published it. Every other site I go to GameStop, Square Enix, Amazon all say Square which I am inclined to believe. After all if it was published by Nintendo it wouldn't have been on PS4 first or at all.

Edited on by Tasuki

My Backlog

Ralizah

@Tasuki ...you don't think Nintendo knows better about who published the Switch version of the game than GameStop?

And, for the record, Amazon also lists Nintendo as the publisher for DQXIS.

They've published other Switch ports of third party games, too.

Tasuki

@Ralizah And again if Nintendo did publish it it wouldn't have been on PS4, last time I checked Nintendo doesn't publish games for the PlayStation.

My Backlog

Eel

Nintendo published the switch versions of Dragon Quest Builders, Dragon Quest Builders 2, and Dragon Quest XI (at least outside of Japan).

They are completely capable of publishing an specific version of a game, it doesn't make the older releases disappear, and it doesn't really give them any special kind of ownership over the game as a whole.

In fact, Nintendo often publishes games for Square Enix (on their own consoles). Mostly those SE doesn't see as huge sellers in our side of the world, like spinoffs and obscure titles.

Other examples include Bravely Default, The World Ends With You, and Octopath Traveler.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Quarth

Yep, it also says Nintendo on the spine of the physical copy. That's usually the case when Nintendo is the publisher.

And why would Nintendo lie about being the publisher on their website?

Edited on by Quarth

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Quarth

Just beat DQ1 in the Trilogy collection on Switch. Primitive, but still good! Short, but sweet! 7/10.

komodo182

@Quarth Short and to the point. I beat that one too.

rallydefault

@Quarth
Yea, I picked it up for free a couple weeks ago and was actually surprised at how much I liked it. I generally do like old games, but not usually old RPGs that require lots of grinding. But it was fun!

rallydefault

komodo182

@rallydefault The only thing I didn't like was the "updated" graphics. Seemed odd to me. I tried 3 as well, but stopped since the graphics made me not like it. I wish they just used the original.

Quarth

@komodo182 Yeah, it was quite relaxing actually. I'm OK with the graphics, but would prefer something more uniform.

@rallydefault Yeah, it wasn't too grindy and confusing as some old RPGs can be. But I used a guide at some points in the game.

Hope I'll like nr 2 as much.

Magician

So, word round the campfire is that Dragon Quest III will be the next game to get a Trials of Mana-esq remake.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic