Forums

Topic: Dragon Quest XI + I, II & III

Posts 441 to 460 of 566

Ralizah

@BruceCM Not really, although that's mostly because, for whatever reason, my Zing spells kept working on the first try (whereas, with the squid boss, I tried Zing four times on the same dead character and it didn't work, which meant Veronica didn't get any experience at the end of that fight). I've heard people call this game overly easy, but I'm pretty happy with the difficulty curve. I haven't died yet, but I've been keeping my levels up, upgrading all of my equipment constantly, looking around and doing everything, etc. It feels like the game could easily stomp me if I slack off, which is the sort of motivation I need.

The story is simple, but I REALLY like the presentation and how it's handled. Things like the Michelle subplot and finding out about Jade's connection to Hero were enrapturing and very emotional.

And god, the music. I'm so glad they fixed it. It's beautiful. It's like the whole soundtrack is this wonderful classical score.

I think the smithing system is fantastic. The minigame itself is fun and requires some planning and forethought, and the way they use recipes to keep you exploring everywhere is well done. Also like how I can refine my equipment at any time. And how you can keep costumes you unlock even when you move to other pieces of armor.

Unlike DQVIII, mounts are everywhere in this game, and they're easily accessible. I've been having lots of fun playing around with them. My favorite so far is the Slime Knight. I love the bounciness!

I think I really like the change to a FFXII-esque zone based system as well, versus just having one big world map to explore.

I'm only 35 hours in, but it's dangerously close to becoming my favorite JRPG on the system.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

BruceCM

Yeah, if you explore properly, you shouldn't have too much difficulty, @Ralizah .... The story still has some development & stuff happening yet!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

komodo182

Finished dragon quest 1 last night. Dragon quest 11 was my first dragon quest game, so yeah, a lot of differences between those two games haha

Switch Friend Code: SW-6361-0099-3716

BruceCM

You like it, though, @komodo182 .... ? Going on to 2 & 3?

SW-4357-9287-0699

komodo182

@BruceCM It was fun. Not sure I will ever replay it. Will probably pick up 2. Currently playing that free racing game asphalt.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6361-0099-3716

BruceCM

Just defeated Heliodor Castle boss after being sent there by the king....

SW-4357-9287-0699

Dezzy

Nearly finally finished the demo. I know because if you try and leave a certain point on the map, it tells you "this is where the demo ends", lol.

Still dunno if I'll buy it on Switch or just get the PS4 version for a third of the price. I don't think the orchestrated music is really that much better than the midi stuff.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

darkfenrir

What about all the other extras like story though?

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

Eel

Yeah the switch version is packed with extras, it’s quite easily the best version of the game.

Maybe you could just wait for this version to go down in price.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

DenDen

Are the prices worth the amount of content?
Wich one is the best?
Of 1, 2, 3,

Now playing
Switch : Little Dragon Café, Gleaner Heights, my friend Pedro

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

BruceCM

3, @DenDen ... It's the 1st where you can change party members. It's about twice the size of 2, it has less grinding & difficulty spikes

SW-4357-9287-0699

RR529

@Dezzy, the Switch version adds:

• New story content that you play through as the other members of your party, around midway through the main story.
  • New optional dungeons taken from past games in the series.
  • the 2D mode.
  • A photo mode (replaces the first person view that's in the PS4 version).
  • Party members now visibly follow you in the overworld sections.
  • the ability to marry any of your party members in post game, rather than just Gemma as in the PS4 version.
  • the orchestrated soundtrack.
  • Japanese VA (the original release only had English VA).

I think the only thing the Switch version is really missing out on is the target shooting minigame/sidequest, but that's more than a fair trade considering all the new stuff it got.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Eel

It also has some quality of life improvements like the fact the harvesting spots that give you multiple materials have them automatically collected here, while in the other versions you apparently need to pick them up individually.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

King-X

@RR529 I'm aware these were probably copy and pasted from a source but I have a couple of those bullet points to address:

RR529 wrote:

• New story content that you play through as the other members of your party, around midway through the main story.

This is limited. One character's episode can only be undertaken in the final act. 2 characters don't have an episode at all. If it just said "other members" I'd have no objection but "the other members" implies everyone so that's misleading.

RR529 wrote:

• ...the ability to marry any of your party members in post game, rather than just Gemma as in the PS4 version.

Though she is still the only one you technically marry. The game refers to it as "sworn companion" and the status of that depends on the relationship, whether it be with Erik as best friends, etc. All of them get a scene on the Tor, all of them move into your house and get a commemorative picture on the wall but only one will refer to such things as wedding vows.

Edited on by King-X

Currently Playing: Pokémon Sword / Atelier Ryza

Dezzy

Another good addition on the Switch is that you can control what outfit they wear, independently of its stats. I appreciate features like that. It's really annoying finding a really strong suit of armour that just looks crap.

StableInvadeel wrote:

Maybe you could just wait for this version to go down in price.

Or wait to see if they add the extras to the PS4 version as DLC, which they said they might. I do slightly prefer having better graphics over portability for a game like this.

Edited on by Dezzy

BruceCM

Got Rab back & on our way to find the rest of the party....

SW-4357-9287-0699

Ralizah

I couldn't play the PS4 version after experiencing the orchestrated soundtrack (the MIDI-sounding versions of several of the tracks are really bad; I understand why so many people playing on PS4 complained about it so much) and QoL updates in this version.

Anyway, I'm on my way to finding the final orb right now in Sniflheim, I believe it's called. Nearing 40 hours of playtime.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Dezzy

@Ralizah

Quite a few of the tracks are completely fine in MIDI as well though. I did hear a couple of terrible ones though, yes.

Ralizah

@Dezzy Unfortunately, the exploration themes don't sound good. The one when you're exploring on land is just grating, but it sounds gorgeous with the real instruments. Not sure why. The boat theme, on its own, sounds fine in MIDI form, but I can't enjoy it at all after hearing the orchestrated version, which is gorgeous and really brings it to life.

The sillier, bouncier music sounds alright either way. I mean, obviously it sounds a good deal better with real instruments, but it's not too bad with the MIDI tracks either.

The music that plays during emotional parts is SO MUCH nicer in orchestrated form. It really pulls me into the scene. The MIDI version isn't bad on its own, but it's not nearly as engaging.

Music is a big part of games for me. It has a way bigger impact than slightly downgraded visuals.

Of course, if you have a decent PC, you can play DQXI with higher res visuals, a higher framerate, and with a mod that adds in the orchestrated music. It doesn't have the other points I like in the Switch version (QOL upgrades and portability, mainly), but it beats the pants off the PS4 version.

Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic