Forums

Topic: Dragon Quest XI + I, II, III & Beyond

Posts 421 to 440 of 705

BruceCM

You like it, though, @komodo182 .... ? Going on to 2 & 3?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

komodo182

@BruceCM It was fun. Not sure I will ever replay it. Will probably pick up 2. Currently playing that free racing game asphalt.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6361-0099-3716

BruceCM

Just defeated Heliodor Castle boss after being sent there by the king....

SW-4357-9287-0699

Dezzy

Nearly finally finished the demo. I know because if you try and leave a certain point on the map, it tells you "this is where the demo ends", lol.

Still dunno if I'll buy it on Switch or just get the PS4 version for a third of the price. I don't think the orchestrated music is really that much better than the midi stuff.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

darkfenrir

What about all the other extras like story though?

darkfenrir

Eel

Yeah the switch version is packed with extras, it’s quite easily the best version of the game.

Maybe you could just wait for this version to go down in price.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

DenDen

Are the prices worth the amount of content?
Wich one is the best?
Of 1, 2, 3,

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

BruceCM

3, @DenDen ... It's the 1st where you can change party members. It's about twice the size of 2, it has less grinding & difficulty spikes

SW-4357-9287-0699

RR529

@Dezzy, the Switch version adds:

• New story content that you play through as the other members of your party, around midway through the main story.
  • New optional dungeons taken from past games in the series.
  • the 2D mode.
  • A photo mode (replaces the first person view that's in the PS4 version).
  • Party members now visibly follow you in the overworld sections.
  • the ability to marry any of your party members in post game, rather than just Gemma as in the PS4 version.
  • the orchestrated soundtrack.
  • Japanese VA (the original release only had English VA).

I think the only thing the Switch version is really missing out on is the target shooting minigame/sidequest, but that's more than a fair trade considering all the new stuff it got.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Eel

It also has some quality of life improvements like the fact the harvesting spots that give you multiple materials have them automatically collected here, while in the other versions you apparently need to pick them up individually.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

Another good addition on the Switch is that you can control what outfit they wear, independently of its stats. I appreciate features like that. It's really annoying finding a really strong suit of armour that just looks crap.

StableInvadeel wrote:

Maybe you could just wait for this version to go down in price.

Or wait to see if they add the extras to the PS4 version as DLC, which they said they might. I do slightly prefer having better graphics over portability for a game like this.

Edited on by Dezzy

BruceCM

Got Rab back & on our way to find the rest of the party....

SW-4357-9287-0699

Ralizah

I couldn't play the PS4 version after experiencing the orchestrated soundtrack (the MIDI-sounding versions of several of the tracks are really bad; I understand why so many people playing on PS4 complained about it so much) and QoL updates in this version.

Anyway, I'm on my way to finding the final orb right now in Sniflheim, I believe it's called. Nearing 40 hours of playtime.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Dezzy

@Ralizah

Quite a few of the tracks are completely fine in MIDI as well though. I did hear a couple of terrible ones though, yes.

Ralizah

@Dezzy Unfortunately, the exploration themes don't sound good. The one when you're exploring on land is just grating, but it sounds gorgeous with the real instruments. Not sure why. The boat theme, on its own, sounds fine in MIDI form, but I can't enjoy it at all after hearing the orchestrated version, which is gorgeous and really brings it to life.

The sillier, bouncier music sounds alright either way. I mean, obviously it sounds a good deal better with real instruments, but it's not too bad with the MIDI tracks either.

The music that plays during emotional parts is SO MUCH nicer in orchestrated form. It really pulls me into the scene. The MIDI version isn't bad on its own, but it's not nearly as engaging.

Music is a big part of games for me. It has a way bigger impact than slightly downgraded visuals.

Of course, if you have a decent PC, you can play DQXI with higher res visuals, a higher framerate, and with a mod that adds in the orchestrated music. It doesn't have the other points I like in the Switch version (QOL upgrades and portability, mainly), but it beats the pants off the PS4 version.

Ralizah

@scubydo Depends on how long it is. If I'm right and I'm nearing the halfway point, though, I could easily see myself pumping 100+ hours into this. Of course, I'm doing as much side stuff as I can, so if you want to just blast through with a faster playthrough, you could probably finish it in 60-ish hours.

Either way, it's one big hunk of JRPG goodness.

JaxonH

Idk where I’m at in the game. I’ve been bouncing between this, Ori and the Blind Forest, Yooka-Laylee Impossible Lair, Sniper Elite 3, and even some What Remains of Edith Finch and Taiko Drum Master. Because it’s on Switch, I’ve been hopping in for 15-20 min at work here and there, and at home, since it’s so quick to go in and out of sleep mode.

Think I’m just outside Gondolia. Which, I have a ton of hours put into the game for only being this far. Even moreso given the demo which was another 5+ hrs not being accounted for.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

DRAGON QUEST XI S LIST OF ADDITIONS AND IMPROVEMENTS

Additional Elements and Improvements

• The gameplay styles of both the PlayStation 4 and 3DS versions in one.
  • Spell of Restoration scenario selection.
  • Newly added party member dialogue.
  • Added [???].
  • Fully-voiced events.
  • Voice support for all party member dialogue.
  • Switch between voice languages (Gorgeous Edition-only).
  • Option to turn on / off sounds from the protagonist (exhaling, etc.)
  • Improved [???].
  • Voice Drama.
  • The timing at which you can visit Yocchi Village has changed.
  • The placement of Yocchi that possess passwords.
  • New “Appearance-Changing Equipment” added.
  • Madame Cherie.
  • Added [???].
  • Implemented horse racing remedial actions.
  • Furigana display.
  • Ability to skip cutscenes the first time around.
  • Camera improvements.
  • Photo Mode added.
  • Increased variation of ridable monsters.
  • Ability to attack ridable monsters on the field to earn experience points.
  • Switches to dedicated background music when riding a great sabrecat.
  • Party members follow you on the field.
  • Dash movement.
  • Ability to call horse at all times.
  • Obtain experience from blowing away monsters on the horse.
  • Shiny spots stand out more.
  • Immediately obtain materials upon examining gathering points.
  • Bowgun gameplay revised.
  • Added church Yocchi before the Lord of Shadows Mordegon.
  • Adjusted the placement of guest NPCs when camping.
  • Increased the tempo of party dialogue.
  • Added [???].
  • Added [???].
  • Added party member speech bubbles in battle.
  • In battle, party members move on their own according to the situation.
  • Adjusted battle speed.
  • Added ability to switch between free movement and auto camera mid-battle.
  • “Skill Reset” available from the beginning of the game.
  • “Learn Multiple Skills” available from the beginning of the game.
  • Forging can now be done anytime, anywhere.
  • Reverse lookup and purchase materials required for forging.
  • Made it easier to understand which items can be created with forging.
  • Display 2D-only monsters in the 3D bestiary.
  • Navigate the UI with the joystick.
  • Added shortcut menu.
  • Added guide for opening the map.
  • Added effective weapon type icons to the skill panel.
  • Display defeated monsters list in the map menu.
  • Display rarefied monsters on the defeated monsters list.
  • Display status ailments when switching out party members.
  • Improved the display of walking recovery effects.
  • Appearance-changing equipment is properly labeled.
  • Purchased materials automatically go into the item bag.
  • Revised soldier events in the Heliodor Sewers.
  • Partial improvements to 2D graphics.
  • Partial improvements to 2D event scenes.
  • Adjusted the 2D map at the start of the game.
  • Added “Smell” to replace Noah’s Archive.
  • Added ability to click through the message window as the level up melody is playing.
  • Partial quest adjustments.

Pickup Elements

• Increased party member reactions in battle, emphasized a sense of unity.
  • Improved forging.
  • Added Photo Mode.
  • Implemented horse racing remedial actions.
  • Madame Cherie.

Voice Drama Downloadable Content

• About four to five hours in length. A collection of short stories that dive deeper into the characters, including their pasts, as well as depicts their everyday lives.
  • There is a story of Jade when she was a child, a young Rab, as well as a story about a Medamoiselles play.
  • There are various stories, from good stories that make you laugh to matters of life.
  • There is also a read-aloud story in which Mitsuki Saiga plays about nine roles by herself.
  • Rab serves as the guide for the Voice Drama.
  • Text can also be displayed. There are log, fast-forward, and rewind features.

Increased Party Member Reactions in Battle, Emphasized a Sense of Unity

• In order to create a sense of unity with your party members, characters left alone will move on their own, or move to evade when approached, as well as produce speech bubbles related to the battle situation.
  • In event battles, there are even some special lines that are voiced.

Improved Forging

• Forge anywhere.
  • While this does not apply to everything, it is also possible to purchase the materials you are missing.

Additional Ridable Monsters

• The great sabrecat runs at high-speed. By roaring, you can summon nearby monsters.

Appearance-Changing Equipment

• “Appearance-Changing Equipment” can now only change appearance without affecting attack power and defense power.
  • The “Kingdom of Trodain Set” changes the protagonist’s appearance to that of the Dragon Quest VIII protagonist. Dragon Quest VIII music also plays on the field.

Adventure the Worlds of Previous Dragon Quest Titles

• All the worlds of previous Dragon Quest titles use 8-bit graphics. Even the maps that were 3D in the 3DS version were recreated in 8-bit. The music is also 8-bit sound source.
    Spell of Restoration Evolution*
  • Go back to an adventure that you have already passed. Return and replay a previous adventure while carrying over your strength. You can also choose between 2D and 3D modes.

Photo Mode

• Photo Mode includes features such as rearranging characters, changing the way the camera is facing, posing, turning on or off the character display (individual settings also possible), blurring the background, and more.

Madame Cherie

• Madame Cherie is a professor at L’Academie de Notre Maitre les Medailles.

There’s just so many changes that help make the game smoother and more streamlined and more enjoyable, like when picking up items they go directly into your bag, or purchasing materials you need at the Fun Sized Forge which, btw, can also be used anywhere. Triple battle speed, shiny spots standing out more, calling the horse any time, immediately getting mats from gathering points, photo mode, seeing status effects when rotating in characters, not to mention transmog for outfits, the new orchestral music, 2D mode (and not just the entire game being playable in 16-bit SNES graphics, but also additional content and quests for all 10 previous Dragon Quest games with worlds reconstructed in 2D being integrated into the main game, so even if you never switch to the 2D mode you still get a hefty taste of it by just playing the game through normally), another 4-5 hours of extra content via character quests... it’s a lot. Really makes one appreciate this version of the game, and that’s without even accounting for the fact the game can be played as both a console and handheld game and anything in between by virtue of just being a Switch game.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic