Forums

Topic: Dragon Quest XI + I, II, III & Beyond

Posts 281 to 300 of 705

rallydefault

@Nintatious
I mean, it's a turn-based rpg. What do you ever consider "gameplay" in that genre? Lol

rallydefault

Nintatious

@rallydefault
I hear you, but I expect to have to do something that requires some level of thought or interaction. E.G. Turn based games can require tactical battle play, resource management, exploration etc etc but this seems to be very forgiving to the point of feeling like a glorified Anime movie. Dunno...

Nintatious

darkfenrir

@Nintatious You might want to turn on some Draconian Mode instead to amp up the difficulty (unless you already did), and also don't forget to change the battle setting to follow your orders instead of controlled by AI.

Although do note that Draconian Mode can only be turned on at new game, and if turned off can't be turned on latter on

darkfenrir

RR529

@Nintatious:

• The glowing spots aren't treasure, they're crafting materials, and can be re-harvested after a small amount of time (though they can be sold for small amounts). Actual treasure chests don't glow.
  • As for the difficulty, while it isn't an overly difficult game, you've got to remember that it's a massive game and the demo is just the tip of the iceberg. It gets more in-depth as time goes on when enemies start using magic, breath attacks, and other special abilities.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Nintatious

@rallydefault

I hear you. I think there's room for both. Open world games are great when done well. The main issue here is that DQ11 just looks like a typical open world game but it isn't. It's quite a weird experience actually to be plunged into what's essentially a really complex 3D background that you can kind of interact with. I guess that's why it would 'feel' better in the 2d version since you don't have the 'red herring' of the open world constantly flapping about. For me, the real issue is the lack of gameplay.

Nintatious

Dezzy

Snaplocket wrote:

@Nintatious I think Dragon Quest XI is one of the best examples on how to use large environments in a JRPG. There's plenty to explore to sink one's teeth into but there's still a clear path to take.

I like this style a lot too. It's very similar to the Xenoblade Chronicles environments. I just wish they'd get rid of some of the invisible walls and teleporting.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

RR529

Even though I've already played it on PS4 (even post-game), the Switch demo is sucking me right back in.

Even though I shouldn't, I'll probably end up double dipping, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

The demo crashed on me 4 times today, which is starting to get on my nerves (I think I've maybe only had the system crash on me once before the entire time I've had it).

The first time it happened was during a battle in the Kingsburrow (a dungeon), the second time it happened was when I was running around Hotto (a village), and the last two times were when I was trying to upgrade equipment with the forge (really irritating the last time because I had just finished on the last item). Oh, the first time it happened was undocked, but the last three times were all docked.

Hopefully it's just a problem with the demo & not my system (and that they get things running more smoothly in the full release).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

darkfenrir

Weird, I got 0 crashes... it feels like the ones that crashes somehow keep getting them, and the one that didn't crash didn't get them.

Iirc Japan's got a fix for the bug, but not sure if the NA's got it

darkfenrir

SwitchForce

So does anyone know how high the levels you can go? I hit the level 20 does the full game go higher?

SwitchForce

RR529

@SwitchForce, if you're saying there's a level 20 cap in the demo, then no, you're not limited to that in the full game (last I checked, my party in the PS4 version is in the 90's). I assume the cap is probably level 99 or 100.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

SwitchForce

RR529 wrote:

@SwitchForce, if you're saying there's a level 20 cap in the demo, then no, you're not limited to that in the full game (last I checked, my party in the PS4 version is in the 90's). I assume the cap is probably level 99 or 100.

Good I hope they don't cap the level that would ruin the fun of Grinding.

SwitchForce

Dezzy

I've just got to the Mangelgrove part. How far is that through the demo?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

@Dezzy Somewhere between 50 - 75% of the way through the demo, I'd say.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Tasuki

Played a bit more of the demo tonight, this time I tried it on docked mode and it looks just as good on the big screen. Again, I can't compare it to the PS4 version since I never played that version.

I got to met Erik's old partner and am slowing making my way back to my home village. I also learned how to craft which I admit is a bit interesting. I am use to games like WoW or Skyrim where you just have to have the crafting mats hit a button and BAM you're done. It took me a bit to figure out the mini game when it came to crafting but I think I have the idea of it now.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

RR529

I noticed that they may have removed the target hunting side activity from the Switch version, for whatever reason.

In the PS4 version there are a few wooden targets hidden around every field area (as an example, there's supposed to be one hanging from the roof of that seaside hut that's near the Kingsburrow), and at a point not too far after the demo ends you obtain a crossbow you can use to shoot them (and draw the attention of far away enemies). You earn items & gear every time you destroy a certain number of targets.

However, I noticed that these targets don't seem to exist in the demo (they're supposed to be a natural part of the environment, and aren't something that only appear once you get the crossbow), so either they removed them from the demo specifically (which would be odd, as they haven't cut anything else from this portion of the game, other than some of the new Switch specific features), or the Switch version entirely.

Either way, the Switch version is adding more than enough to make it the more valuable version (even IF this one feature is missing), but I just thought it was odd.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

SwitchForce

Now the wait begins for September 27, 2019. I tried to cancel a NIN order but can't so I have to wait for that release so I don't spend more they I should.

SwitchForce

darkfenrir

I regret not farming for Bunny Tail Will I be able to farm that later?

darkfenrir

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic