Forums

Topic: Dragon Quest XI + I, II, III & Beyond

Posts 221 to 240 of 705

Ryu_Niiyama

I do hope that the official guide book gets updated for the Switch.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Dezzy

@Magician

Yeah I'd mostly agree. 30fps is a bare minimum for me.

I'd rather 30fps at 540p than 20fps at 720p. Especially on handheld. That resolution is fine for handheld mode.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Dezzy

English demo is on the eshop! Woooo

Magician

Dezzy wrote:

English demo is on the eshop! Woooo

Does progress carry over to the full release?

That seems to be the shtick with rpg games from S-E on Switch these days.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

darkfenrir

@Tsurii Once you finish the first dungeon, reached back to the village and go to the church. I was wondering as well, but once I saved I feel nice and immediately went to redeem the voucher.

The story feels good and I enjoyed the gameplay (although now I'm left wondering how people survive grinding this game when I picked the fastest battle speed and going "wow... why is this still slow")

darkfenrir

Bankaj

Started the demo. Going to be my first mainline DQ Adventure and I'm pretty excited for it!

Though came here to complain. That voice of Gemma is getting on my nerves already, and I'm only 30 min in.. No offense to the folk from the region, but this accent is horrible :X

Bankaj

Quarth

Trying the demo. I think I'm gonna love this game. First DQ title I play. It looks and plays great, and the music... WOW!

Edited on by Quarth

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

RR529

Just a note to anyone playing this for the first time. The post game content acts as a proper continuation of the main story (rather than extra fluff), so be sure to tackle it if you can.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Dezzy

Resolution looks fine to be honest. Just don't sit too near to the screen and you won't notice much difference between this and the PS4 version.

Ralizah

Posted these on another forum, but I thought they'd fit well here, too.

UNDOCKED:
Untitled

DOCKED:
Untitled

-

UNDOCKED:
Untitled

DOCKED:
Untitled

-

UNDOCKED:
Untitled

DOCKED:
Untitled

Game looks really darn good undocked.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

darkfenrir

I honestly can't see if there's any difference

darkfenrir

Ralizah

@darkfenrir It's a bit more noticeable when you examine the screenshots on a large TV, but it's never the case with a game like Xenoblade 2 where it looks like there's some huge performance gulf. Docked is a little sharper in spots, but it's still a very pretty looking handheld game.

S-E dun good.

Ralizah

The Switch version holds up really, really well to the PS4 version. It's missing some of the lighting in the environments, and the foliage is patchier on Switch, but, otherwise it's extremely similar.

Edited on by Ralizah

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

but it's never the case with a game like Xenoblade 2 where it looks like there's some huge performance gulf. Docked is a little sharper in spots, but it's still a very pretty looking handheld game.

I never noticed that supposed performance difference on Xenoblade 2 at all. I dunno why. Some games I tend to notice these things, others I don't.
Like the Breath of the Wild framerate problems really annoyed me.

Ralizah

@Dezzy That's funny. BotW's framerate issues were so localized and short-lived that I never gave them a second thought, even during launch.

I mean, if the whole game dropped like Korok Forest used to, I might have issues, but it never disrupted my gameplay too much.

NEStalgia

I can't help but think that comparison was designed to make Switch look bad. The gamma curve is radically different, and the Switch one is set entirely wrong, making everything look dark, contrasty, and "vintage" next to the bright and detailed PS4 version.

Aside, technical, visually, I much prefer the lighting and foliage detail on the PS4 version. Since I already own that version I'd really be tempted to just play i there...but considering the Switch version has so much more actual content it's still a no brainer to pick the complete but less perfect visual version versus the very incomplete but somewhat prettier version.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

NEStalgia wrote:

I can't help but think that comparison was designed to make Switch look bad. The gamma curve is radically different, and the Switch one is set entirely wrong, making everything look dark, contrasty, and "vintage" next to the bright and detailed PS4 version.

Aside, technical, visually, I much prefer the lighting and foliage detail on the PS4 version. Since I already own that version I'd really be tempted to just play i there...but considering the Switch version has so much more actual content it's still a no brainer to pick the complete but less perfect visual version versus the very incomplete but somewhat prettier version.

Well, of course it looks better on PS4. It's a far more powerful system.

Although that version is probably the least appealing one to me on the market. For me, the big choice was DQXI S for extra content + portability, or the PC version for the improved framerate and even nicer visuals (it also has an orchestrated music mod, which gives it even more of a leg up over the PS4 release and its dinky MIDI tracks).

All I needed DQXI S to do was be close enough to the PS4 version to not feel like I was playing an inferior experience, and it accomplishes that in spades, IMO. I can live with a darker image, worse lighting, and sparser foliage if it means getting all the extra benefits that come with the Switch release.

Edited on by Ralizah

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I forgot there even was a PC version. Yeah, there's that. Wait, how did PC get an orchestrated music mod if the orchestrated music wasn't made until a Switch game that's not out yet? Or is it just some random small orchestra doing a cover?

Though I already own the PS4 version so that one makes more sense to compare. And yeah PS4 (pro)....I do wish I had the better graphics for it (I played the intro into the first town on there already.) But the Switch version just has more content (and the 16 bit mode, which, I doubt I'll use it much, but it's fun all the same. I wish you could toggle on the fly, but I understand why you can't.)

The worse lighting and sparser foliage are a negative to me, but I don't think the darker image is legit. I think that's just a bad comparison video, either purposefully to make Switch look worse, or just because it's an amateur comparison not on the level of DF calibration skills. No way SE actually messed with the gamma that badly - it doesn't look "worse than PS4", it looks "bad" as in "broken on the gamma curve" - which I doubt is how the retail game actually looks. The bad calibration in the video would obscure detail as well. I haven't checked the demo, but I definitely doubt it really looks like that.

NEStalgia

Quarth

I think the game looks really good on Switch. Really looking forward to the full release.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Ralizah

@NEStalgia The orchestrated music, as far as I'm aware, is always composed first, and then the synthesized music is inserted into the game based on that. The lack of orchestration in the games apparently serves as an incentive for people to go see the concerts.

Anyway, the modders said they took the original orchestrated suite and fixed it so that it fits into the game properly.

I don't think it looks bad at all, but the darker image is absolutely legit. You can go download the demo and confirm for yourself. That's what the game looks like.

Edited on by Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic