Forums

Topic: Dragon Quest XI + I, II, III & Beyond

Posts 121 to 140 of 705

RR529

VIII is my favorite, but IV & V were great too.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

darkfenrir

I see... should be okay to just jump in then.

I'll look for the ones on 3DS, but not sure yet :/ (Backlogs + amount of other games I want to play makes me unsure to grab older ones)

darkfenrir

Magician

The reviews have been pouring in for Dragon Quest XI on PS4.

This is going to be a long, difficult bout of waiting for the Switch version in 2019 or 2020.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/dragon-quest-xi-...

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Ryu_Niiyama

I'm going to crack (as in my will, not the game) and import the 3ds version of XI to tide me over. It's below 30 on play asia last I checked.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Krull

@ReaderRagfish You got IX at the top? Interesting! Most DQ fans seem to rate V highest. Personally, I've only played through VIII, which I loved, and part of the way through IV (before I got distracted by Xenoblade 2).

However, I picked up a secondhand DS and IX a couple of weeks ago. Really looking forward to playing it for the first time.

And if you do crack and decide to read any reviews of XI, I recommend the Tim Rogers article on Kotaku - he freaking loves it. Can't wait for this to come to Switch. DQXI and Shin Megami Tensei were two of my biggest reasons for getting the console. Didn't expect either of them to take this long, though, back in March 2017!

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589
3DS ID: 2492-5142-7789

Ryu_Niiyama

Ok now the long wait for shipping from Play Asia. All this talk about IX is making me wish I could find the DLC files somewhere. Sigh I kept forgetting to log on before the DLC went down and never got it.. Granted the game is huge by itself but still.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Ryu_Niiyama

@dharmajones93 Nope 3ds version of XI is Japanese Language only (which I can read) and I'll be playing on my MM JPN 3ds. Been importing video games for about 17 years now. Ugh I wrote that three times and I think it still came out accidentally snarky.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

CroRock

I can not understand why they need one year to translate game for West releases. Same goes for Capcom and MH Generations Ultimate. I mean, there’s lots of text in DQ games, but they are not small indie team who can’t afford translators.
And why they don’t want money from 3ds players on the west?! If DQ 11 was released in Europe I would be buying hell out of it and later for Switch too. They have a game, and they have translations from PS4 and PC editions so why don’t they just release it ffs?!

3DS - 2294 - 4578 - 7970
SW - 3371 - 1931 - 2042

Dezzy

@CroRock

They did voice acting too so it'll definitely take a while overall.

I don't understand why they did it all after the Japanese release though. Seems like localisation should be built into the main development period, like it is for most games. It's not like Squenix needs the money ahead of time. And it's not like the Japanese release tells them anything about whether it'll sell in the west.

I really hope they put some money into the marketing though. Given that this has reviewed so well, it'd be a good time to try and get more people on board.

Final Fantasy being a big deal in the west was hugely down to the massive marketing campaign that FF7 got.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Tyranexx

I really wish that the 3DS version was still coming; I definitely would have picked it up. Alas, we're stuck waiting for the Switch version and whenever it shows up...2020 maybe.

I'm currently still deep into V (my first DQ) and own VIII for the 3DS. I also plan to pick up IV at some point in the next few months.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Dezzy

I don't think this is gonna do very well on PC. I looked through youtube for reviews and there's hardly any. Nearly all reviews for the game are on written media sites.
That's generally a bad sign for PC sales. Youtube massively drives PC sales.
That is a very consistent trend though. JRPGs don't sell well on PC.

@Tyranexx

I think the PS4 version is really the one to play. It's so pretty and you know they're gonna end up downgrading it visually for the Switch.

Tyranexx

@Dezzy: Possibly. Tbh I'm not a huge graphics nut: I just feel like it's part of the full package in most cases (though I will agree that there are some pretty ugly games out there).

I'd kind of like to get a PS4 since it has a few games I'm interested in, but unfortunately I barely have time for the systems I have already. 😑

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Dezzy

@Tyranexx

I don't see how anyone who likes gaming could not have a PS4 tbh. About half of the PS4 exclusives are complete masterpieces. It's one of the best libraries of exclusives any console has ever had.

Tyranexx

@Dezzy: It's mostly down to time, budgeting, and backlog for me. I'm making some headway with the latter two (just got some big purchases out of the way, plus my backlog is miraculously shrinking), but the former is a little harder to balance these days since I've thrown healthier yet time-consuming habits in with my other hobbies. Weekends aren't usually bad, but most weeknights I'm usually lucky to fit in 1-2 gaming hours and sometimes don't even hit that amount (if at all).

Trust me, I'd love to get a PS4. I'm attracted to many of its exclusives like the Uncharted series, The Last Of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn, Infamous: Second Son, and Nier: Automata to name a few. There are even a couple of non-exclusive franchises like the Assassin's Creed series that I'd like easier access to. Unfortunately, this late in the console's lifespan, I'm not sure if it'd be wiser to wait for the inevitable PS5 and the likely ports that may follow (unless BC is a thing...but I doubt it) or if I should just play catch-up at some point since some of the games I'm interested in are pretty cheap now.

I'm sort of glad that Nintendo's resources seem to be funneling almost exclusively into one console at the present time; the 3DS and Wii U (soon to be replaced by a Switch) keep me quite busy already...with the rare PC indie title thrown in.

Dezzy

@Tyranexx

I know what you mean. 2 hours a night is more than I ever have time for.
Also, you didn't even mention what I'd say are the best PS4 exclusives. Uncharted 4, Bloodborne and God of War.

Oh and Nier Automata is available on PC and Xbox btw!

On the graphics issue though, I'm not that fussed about technical fidelity in graphics. But I care a lot about art style, world design and detail. This game nails all 3 of them as far as I'm concerned. I just like any game that creates a fictional world that feels like it could be a real place.

Edited on by Dezzy

Tyranexx

@Dezzy: It helps that I have a three day weekend, but I'm busy for a good chunk of it. I'm hoping to tack a few more hours onto DQV. I'm about to go after the monsters who ran off with my wife. We'll see how this plays out.... I think I'm at least over halfway through, but we'll see.

Uncharted 4 was more or less addressed along with the rest of the series. As for Bloodborne, that's one that I'm admittedly not very interested in. God of War? Definitely. As for Nier...d'oh. Most of the rumblings I've seen about it are PS4-related, so I had just assumed it was another exclusive. XD

I see what you mean about art style. DQXI is definitely aesthetically pleasing and is one of the better-looking games I've seen in recent memory.

Ryu_Niiyama

I do think I'll try the PC version to see how the dialogue is written. I've not been a fan personally of Squeenix's localization job so I've been heavily considering switching to just importing DQ games from now on. If I go that route I'll still wait for the switch version and just snag it off the eshop.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Tyranexx

@ReaderRagfish: I'll look into that. Thanks!

Introspect

Only Dragon Quest game I've played was IX. Never finished it though, due to me playing it on a family members DS and moving before I got too far into it. After watching some streams of XI on PS4 recently it really gave me the itch to play IX again. Just picked up a Switch yesterday, and I'm really hoping XI comes out next year for it, but I'm still tempted to pick up a second hand DS somewhere to play IX again (maybe even a 3DS so I can play VIII as well).

Introspect

Dezzy

@Introspect

The 3DS has DQ7 remake as well. Which is also incredibly good. DQ8 is the best in the series though imo. I haven't played 11 yet though.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic