Forums

Topic: DOOM

Posts 261 to 280 of 1,213

MarcelRguez

@Lethal It is almost the same in terms of content and controls. Follow the conversation before jumping in.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

kobashi100

MegaTen wrote:

Talking about multiplayer (and Game Card size):

"[...], a Bethesda spokesperson confirmed that Doom runs at 30 frames-per-second on Switch, adding:

"The game and rendering technology underlying Doom is extremely scalable. In bringing Doom to Switch, we targeted outstanding visuals at a solid 30 fps and by maintaining a consistent 30 fps, the experience remains consistently fluid and smooth. We’ve been thrilled with the feedback that Doom is among the very best looking and performing games on Switch."

While I was able to play the game's arcade mode for as long as I wanted, the game was not docked, meaning it wasn't making use of the extra processing power that kicks in when the system is running on a television. Something I've asked about, but haven't heard back on yet.

Bethesda also clarified that while it is the publisher for the game, Panic Button, working with id Software, is actually developing the port.

Finally, Bethesda said that the game's single player campaign and arcade mode "fit on a 16 GB cartridge," but that the multiplayer mode for the game, which will have to be downloaded after purchase, comes in at 9 GB."

'Doom on Switch' Runs at 30FPS, Multiplayer Download is 9 GB

Not surprised about this. Publishers are not gonna spend more on 32GB carts. If they do then the price will be passed on to the consumer.

Can't blame them for not going down that route

kobashi100

Samus7Killer

Uh oh.....Time to hit the Panic Button!

Samus7Killer

Lethal

MarcelRguez wrote:

@Lethal It is almost the same in terms of content and controls. Follow the conversation before jumping in.

I do not need to follow anything to know that this is not at all a 1:1 port. Frame rate is cut in half and the graphics take a tremendous blow.

People here seem to get all wet because it can be played on the go. I personally do not have time to play games on the go. If I have time to play games it is because I am at home sitting on my couch or laying in bed. But then again I am probably older than most of you with nowhere near as much free time.

I am very interested in seeing the sales figures when it comes out. I have a feeling it will not do well because because of the downgrades.

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

Azooooz

@Lethal But what's impressive is that despite the game running on a mobile processor, it still runs good, while also looks good. Kudos to the chip manufacturer.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

MarcelRguez

Lol, turns out the achievement hunter is an insanely busy person when he's not soft-trolling online.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Samus7Killer

How much will DOOM cost?
Tell me, somebody tell me please tell me....

Edited on by Samus7Killer

Samus7Killer

Spoony_Tech

Well I for one don't have any other choice for this game so I welcome it with open arms. Even if I did have the other systems I always favor Nintendo first when it comes to 3rd party ports. Graphics are nice and all but I like to be more a one system guy and if I can get a lot of these 3rds on my Switch then I don't need nor want the other systems.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

kobashi100

@Lethal you do realise that playing on the go isn't just traveling right. Some people want the luxury of playing games on the sofa, kitchen, bedroom etc etc.

Also I think you are wrong. Skyrim, FIFA and doom are all gonna sell well.

A 1:1 conversion would be worse. trying to brute force a high end PC game on to switch hardware would be a train wreck waiting to happen.

Edited on by kobashi100

kobashi100

Lethal

Azooooz wrote:

@Lethal But what's impressive is that despite the game running on a mobile processor, it still runs good, while also looks good. Kudos to the chip manufacturer.

Oh I never said I was not impressed. I am. I am just not excited about a $60 price tag on a game that costs $30 now.

kobashi100 wrote:

Also I think you are wrong. Skyrim, FIFA and doom are all gonna sell well.

I just don't think they will.

Skyrim has already made its money twice over and the Switch will suffer greatly from it. It will have low sales.

FIFA is not eve the same game as the home consoles and is lacking game modes. It will have the lowest sales. I think people will choose 2K18 over Fifa if they have to make a choice.

MegaTen wrote:

I read numerous comments from "older" gamers, that they'd love to take a game like this with them on the go - because they are on the road for example or love to play at lunch breaks...

That may be true for some. But I own and operate a construction company and my lunch breaks consist of me grabbing a pop-tart and eating while I work. So my opinion is based off my life style and those I am around.

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

kobashi100

@Lethal FIFA will smash NBA sales outside of North America.

Oh and FIFA may sell less then other consoles. Doesn't mean it won't sell though. Considering the huge gap in user base it doesn't take an expert to predict it will sell less on switch.

Edited on by kobashi100

kobashi100

Samus7Killer

Yeah this shoulda at least be 50 not 60. Im still buying day 1.

Samus7Killer

Azooooz

@Samus7Killer It's as cheap as a cheeseburger

Edited on by Azooooz

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

Azooooz

@Lethal The only thing Fifa 18 Switch is missing is Journey mode, which according to EA, requires Frostbite Engine, in which Switch isn't. I applaud EA for making custom engine for Switch that allows the game to run 1080p/60FPS Docked and 720p/60FPS Handheld.

The point is as long as the console has a unique exclusivity, the game sells.

Edited on by Azooooz

JaxonH

I think some people might over estimate how many gamers actually care about "fps" or resolution specs. Even of the minority who do care about those things, I think a great many of them will find portable version of games they like... to be a very appealing proposition.

The only people who likely won't care are people who absolutely have no interest in portability and also own other consoles. But I think a lot of people who, as of now, consider themselves not interested in portability, would actually love the portability once they experience it for themselves.

I never really considered myself a handheld gamer. I never really took my handhelds with me on the go, save the rare trip on my empoyer's dime or the seldom vacation. I only really bought them for the exclusive games. But ever since I got a Switch, it's made me a portable gamer. It's changed how I think, and how I play. I take it with me to work every single day. And it's not just about leaving the house with it either- it's the convenience of, "oh I'm in an online hunt in Monster Hunter, can't pause, but I want some snacks and tea, and need to run to the bathroom... just grab it and go, come back and dock it". It's something you really can't appreciate until you own one and you realize just how dang practical having a hybrid system really is.

And I think a lot of people who play games like DOOM, would really love playing said games on their break at work, or while they're getting an oil change, or when someone else is using the TV, or at a friend's house, etc... sure it's not pound for pound in terms of technical specs, but it's still DOOM, it still looks and feels 85% as good as a technically "superior" version, and looks even better on a small screen so the compromises made aren't as evident...

The game is $60 because it's brand new on the system. When it was brand new on PS4/X1, it was $60 also. But even right now, even at $30 I still think a lot of people would rather pay twice as much and get two versions in one. Why pay $30 for a television version when you could pay $30 for a television version and $30 for a handheld version and have seamless transition between the two? It's the same price value wise, when you break it down. And seeing as sSwitch games offer more than just the sum of their parts (you're not getting a separate console version and a separate handheld version with their own separate save files, you're getting one hybrid version with one save file that switches between the two versions on demand) I actually think the best value for your money is with the Switch version. But if you really want a fair comparison, wait til DOOM has been out on Switch a year like other consoles and it's $30 just like the rest. Then it's going to be the same exact price but two versions in one.

Now, I don't have any delusions about this game selling as much as on the other consoles. But I do think it can sell well. Keep in mind the install base is still in the single digits, and as Pete Hines said, the fanbase is not familiar with these franchises yet so I think the sales expectations should be kept in line with that in mind. But also as Hines said, not only do you have an untapped market of Nintendo-only gamers who might buy it, you have a considerable number of PS4/X1 gamers buying a Switch as a secondary console who will want to play their favorite games anywhere, particularly on the go. And Bethesda is not shortchanging us- they are making a real effort to bridge the gap and build a lasting relationship- and I think fans will respond well to being treated with dignity, especially among a fanbase who is used to being treated as second rate gamers.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

rallydefault

The full price tag sucks - there's no talking your way out of that one. But that's a perennial problem that the hobby's been dealing with for the last couple console cycles, and I guess internal analysts have yet to see any significant blow back to change course on the thinking.

Just be logical about it: publishers aren't going to push their game out at a certain price (especially late ports) unless they have market research telling them that it will sell. Everybody on this site scoffed at Bomberman's price tag when the Switch launch, and the darn thing went on to be remarkably successful. It's just a combination of two things: you need to use your head a bit and understand that publishers aren't suicidal, and you need to (again) understand that forum environment like this one do NOT accurately represent consumer mindset.

rallydefault

Sisilly_G

I normally resent late ports being released at full price while other versions are available dirt-cheap, but this is friggin' DOOM. I'll be there day one. They can rip me off if they wanted to. As long as the full game is on cartridge and there's no sneaky underhanded BS being executed by the publisher, I'm there. I've been itching for iD Software support for years and here we are. I would have been chuffed with a Doom 3 BFG Edition port, but this completely exceeds my expectations. I still hope for a port of Doom 3. It's one of few 3D games that I feel has aged really, really well. It was state-of-the-art in 2004, and it still impresses me today. Hell, they even ported it to the original Xbox! That was a feat in itself.

I will also grab Wolfenstein day one without hesitation.

The Switch has been exceeding my expectations at such a rapid rate and to think that we're only in the first year of its life!

And I know it's really unlikely, but a Commander Keen reboot would be a dream come true, and the Nintendo fanbase is perfect for it.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

JaxonH

@sillygostly
Well, just a heads up the full single player game is indeed on cart, but the multiplayer portion will be offered as a download. It's not an ideal situation but, it's DOOM, and personally, as long as they get all the single player content on there I can accept it, because ultimately the multiplayer content won't be viable when the servers are shut down, which means it won't do any good on a cart long-term anyways. And, the game is a single player game- that's the main course meal.

Thankfully there are only three games today which required downloads- NBA 2k18 (16gb), DOOM (9gb) and Resident Evil Revelations Collection (26gb). Obviously with Resident Evil they couldn't fit everything on the largest carts made. Same tactics were used on Vita for larger games. And in hindsight not too many games did it overall. So I'm not expecting more than two or three per year. But I think a microSD card is definitely something everyone should pick up. And then you don't have to worry about anything.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Sisilly_G

JaxonH wrote:

the multiplayer content won't be viable when the servers are shut down, which means it won't do any good on a cart long-term anyways.

That's the only reason why I'm not particularly bothered about this, however, if it does take up a large amount of space, then I would consider that to be poor form on Bethesda's part, but it's not a deal-breaker by any stretch as multiplayer can constitute a significant portion of space which will inevitably amount to naught, so it's no sweat off my back. If the game offered local multiplayer and this content was withheld from the cartridge, then I would take issue with that.

JaxonH wrote:

DOOM (9gb)

If the game is only 9GB (!?!!!?), then they would have to be using a 16GB cartridge. It seems bizarre to me that they can hack and slash and optimise the single player campaign to 9GB, but couldn't squeeze the multiplayer portion of it onto the cartridge as well (which should only take up a few gigs more; surely it's nothing more than a few maps?).

JaxonH wrote:

Obviously with Resident Evil they couldn't fit everything on the largest carts made.

That is not true. They wouldn't have been able to fit both games onto one 32GB cartridge in their current forms (I'm sure they could have though with a little further optimisation, I mean, the first game on 3DS was only 3.15GB so it can be done). Capcom chose not to put the LARGER of the two games (being Revelations 2 at 26GB) onto the cartridge (which incidentally has never been previously available on a Nintendo platform), and chose to give us the first (and smaller) game instead, which had already been released on 3DS and Wii U. In addition to that, the retail release is budget-priced, which is even more baffling as I'm sure that they could have justified a full price release seeing as we're getting two games as opposed to just one. I would much rather have had a full-priced release that takes the Bayonetta route, with both games on their own cartridge (or at least the second game), as opposed to the idiotic direction that Capcom have taken with this release. As excited as initially was for both of these games, I won't be supporting this release unless Capcom issues the second game on cartridge.

Even if I were to download only the second game (which will probably cost $40 in Australia), that is also going to require $25 worth (on average) of micro SD storage. It is unacceptable for publishers passing on such large expenses to the consumer without giving us the option to buy the game at retail. This isn't a home console where 26GB is chump change on a 1TB-2TB hard drive. Every gigabyte counts on a portable device, and as I said, I would happily have paid full-price on day 1 for these games, even if they were released separately, but in its current state, I won't consider it, not even at a discount, which is really disheartening as I was really looking forward to playing Revelations 2, and the enhancements look really swell, but not having the second game on cartridge is a deal breaker.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic