Forums

Topic: DOOM

Posts 241 to 260 of 1,213

NEStalgia

@MegaTen You know, Nintendo's been going so crazy with unexpected things, I wouldn't be against mouse and keyboard. Heck, they're the only console maker to have ever actually sold their own mouse for a console. Why not? OTOH, if it has motion controls (IIRC it does) it has an AirMouse anyway.....so you're pretty much there

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@MegaTen

https://www.amazon.co.jp/CYBER-USBキーボード-SWITCH-ブ�...

Untitled

@NEStalgia
I think there's just as many core gamers on PS4 and X1 as Switch- there are a great many core games on those platforms after all, Bethesda's portfolio included. But there are a truckload of casual gamers too. That's where the muchos sales numbers come from, tbh...

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

EvilLucario

I heard that motion/gyro controls were confirmed to not be in the game, according to Reddit. A shame, since they're way better than sticks.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Qwertyninty

Watched all the preview impression videos and the game looks Damn good. Don't think 30fps is going to be an issue at all. Also taking into account this is a preview build and not the final code. I really hope people Support this game. We don't get this kind of support these games need to sell well.

Qwertyninty

JaxonH

@EvilLucario
Ya, that was my biggest dissappointment tbh... it'll be a great game regardless but it would've really elevated it a notch if it had gyro controls... which I'm kind of surprised it doesn't given that even Skyrim has them.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Zyrac

Are we certain this doesn't have motion controls, then? If that's the case, it pretty much shifts this game from a "maybe" to a "no" for me. I don't ever want to go back to dual stick. Take note, developers.

Zyrac

Twitter:

Ryu_Niiyama

@EvilLucario true but current general perceptions are that motion controls hinder games. So anything that is "hard core" (skyrim has a wider appeal imo because you do whatever you want) unless it has the sony move seal of approval is likely not going to have motion controls. Sucks as the gyro aiming is one of the reasons splatoon is enjoyable (since I flail less).

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

MarcelRguez

@Zyrac Yes, no motion controls whatsoever. It's an (almost) 1:1 port.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

JaxonH

No motion is a shame indeed. It's still an awesome game, but it would have been elevated to epic status had it also had motion.

TuVictus

Not that I think it'll fail without them, but it certainly would have given the port a much needed edge over the other versions. But personally it just would have been amazing to have a Metroid prime trilogy esque control scheme in DOOM

TuVictus

Lethal

It is cool that they can even put a current generation game on the Switch. But man does it take a beating.

1. 30fps
2. Graphics = low settings on PC

Why would anyone buy this game on the Switch if they have a PS4 or XB1? The game is $30 new and I bet the Switch version will cost $60.

MarcelRguez wrote:

@Zyrac Yes, no motion controls whatsoever. It's an (almost) 1:1 port.

Not at all a 1:1 port.

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

FragRed

@Lethal Here in the UK you can get it for under £10 brand new on PS4/Xbox One. The selling point of this port is the ability to play anywhere. And not everyone has or wants a PS4 or Xbox One necessarily. But I agree the 30 fps is a big disappointment, though there is still time to hopefully get it up to 60 fps. As for visuals, I will wait to see actual direct feed not what Digital Foundry have put together using a custom built PC or YouTube videos of the game played in undocked mode.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Haruki_NLI

@Lethal No one is saying buy it again if you already own it? I...dont see anyone saying that actually.

Plus that assumes that everyone who owns a Switch also owns something to play this game on, and this game too already which...they most likely dont.

Plus for someone who doesnt have the game yet, or doesnt have another console, its for them.

As Pete Hines said, while there may be some overlap this is new to many people.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

erv

EvilLucario wrote:

I heard that motion/gyro controls were confirmed to not be in the game, according to Reddit. A shame, since they're way better than sticks.

Any shooter on nintendo systems should have a solution like that. Just have the ability to use gyroscope controls to adjust your view. Splatoon does it right in my opinion, and I remember black ops on wii was a joy to play.

To be honest, most of these types of games are great games, but bypass a lot of what nintendo owners take for granted - the seamless, no hassle play that just works and plays really nicely.

Gameplay on nintendo systems in general is of a much higher standard. I hope developers take that into account when porting great games over.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

NEStalgia

Sucks about lack of gyros. That would have made Switch the only console version that could keep pace with PC in terms of input and control. Kind of hard to think of playing Doom without that kind of free look, honestly. Especially after Splatoon got me back into it in my post-PC days, all shooters feel flat out wrong on sticks alone to me...eww. Splatoon spoiled me just after I finally got used to console controls after a decade on mouse. Though, it's DOOM.....it was originally to be played on keyboard ONLY....maybe the handicap is retro goodness?

@Lethal
"Why would anyone buy this game on the Switch if they have a PS4 or XB1?"

Because handheld Doom would have made me squeal like an 8 year old girl 20 years ago and still kinda does now? 30fps or not, I can pick up and play it on Switch in short bursts of demon slaying goodness on and off and suspend it on a moment's notice rather than sitting down and setting up for a long term session. perfect for a burst action game IMO. Nobody ever talks about the instant-on instant-off of Switch. That gets rolled into "portable" but IMO that's still the absolute biggest differentiator. Whichever system lets me put a game on an instant-on instant-off form factor wins.

I have a PS4. I ignored doom. I'm still ignoring it at $30. I'd still ignore it at $4.99. But on Switch I'll pay $60. Bottom line is I can play the game in the manner/time table I want to play the game on this version and not on that version. Life's busy. When I get 6 minutes to quick shoot some demons I'll take it. Switch lets me do that all the time. The PS4 would consume that time just powering up the AVR and display and waiting for the HDCP and EDID handshake to time out twice before finally linking across the 3 repeaters in my video signal chain. I'll only go through that mess when I'm sitting down to a long session, whether it's splatfest grinding or Uncharted. Doom begs for pick up and play bursts. Like alt+tabbing between it and email back in the day Back before video drivers crashed when you alt+tabbed out of a game....

@JaxonH @samus7killer Sure theres hardcore and casual on every platform. But PS4 and XBox seem to have a different kind of "core". A lot of that "core" there seems to be the, maybe not competitive, but the online focused gamer that buys one or two games and plays it endlessly online. It's "core" but that's why I said "lifestyle." It seems to me that Nintendo and PC actually have a more common "gamer" audience than the other two consoles that may have a load of "gam3rz" but less "gamers" if that makes sense. The audience that plays anything and everything across all genres and appreciates the genre from beginnings to present. Gaming as a lifestyle and passion more than a dedication. The present Nintendo base echoes much of what I think of when I think 90's PC culture which still exists (despite PC picking up the "gam3rz" too.)

Bethesda games are steeped quite deep in that PC culture and often feel wrong on console. They're gamer's games for gamers. But they don't really make any games for gam3rz at all, compared to, say 2K or EA that mostly makes gam3rz games. They're much like Nintendo, draped in a blood soaked skin (ok...a bug-laden blood soaked skin ) . Thus why I think it's a really good match when you look at it closely.

What do I mean by "gam3rz" versus gamers? If I were really to drill it down I think it probably does split between those that buy few games that are online competitive time sinks versus those that buy a huge breadth of games, ultimately mostly solo experiences. Bethesda, like Nintendo, makes games mostly catering to the latter (ignoring Quake Live and such which of course keep going. But even that is mostly a retro player base.)

NEStalgia

JaxonH

@Lethal
I have a PS4 and Xbox One (in fact I have a Pro and soon X1X). But I'm all over this.

Just because some people only care about having the best performance doesn't mean everyone does. There are other factors that come into play. It's why many people with a PC still buy an inferior PS4 or X1 version- other factors such as ease of play are considered... in this case, playing anywhere (And I say anywhere, because it's not just playing on the go that's appealing, its getting a respectable console version and a Portable version and seamlessly switching between- a simple portable version with separate save file would be much less appealing)

And people do see this as being pretty close to 1:1. Sure the resolution and framerate is dialed back, but this is what we're getting now...

Untitled

versus what we've gotten in the past

Untitled

... and this is on a portable console while past versions were on a 100% home console!

Only performance hawks (which is a minority of gamers) will look at the Switch version and see anything other than a viable alternative that offers basically everything the other versions do plus the ability to play on the go

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

@MegaTen
Thanks for posting!

And I really respect your reconsideration. I know from reading your posts you value a good looking, high performing game. But it's nice seeing people who prioririze those things also consider the other aspects of gaming that bring value to the table. It's not always just about the prettiest graphics (although pretty graphics are nice! I of all people appreciate a nice, visually stunning game in 4k)

Azooooz

The craziest part of all is that the game was able to run on a freaking mobile processor, and it still looks good.

I never thought that Nvidia Tegra X1 can be this powerful.

Edited on by Azooooz

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic