Forums

Topic: DOOM

Posts 161 to 180 of 1,257

YummyHappyPills

@MegaTen The key thing I took away from their statement is the DOOM look and feel, implying 60fps feel.

Im sure idSoftware would only do it if their vision was possible. Looking at stuff like Skyrim running comparably to PS4? Or the custom FIFA? Mario + Rabbids? Im sure custom Switch engines and wider used engines can get great results.

More so when using Vulkan

Switch FC: SW-5242-2997-2115

Samus7Killer

@MegaTen nice reverse art...
Im wondering if this is just reverse and itll have the ugly version with the download notice on that ugly side? ๐Ÿค”

Samus7Killer

JaxonH

People gotta get off this 60fps kick. Game was smooth on consoles and it wasn't 60fps. It was 40-60fps. And if 40-50fps hopping all over the place plays so good it "feels" like 60 and people think it's 60, then a locked 30 that's stable won't be much different.

It's one of those things where people could play it and love it and will say it feels great, but tell them it's not 60 and suddenly they'll say it plays horribly

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
Switch: Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Resident Evil Revelations 1/2
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
PSVR: Skyrim VR, DOOM VFR
Vita:
X1X: Wolfenstein 2
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

YummyHappyPills

@JaxonH TotalBiscuit has been a perpetuator of this. Most of his videos say, and he even said it about BOTW, he hates, and thinks no one should play, games below 60fps.

Switch FC: SW-5242-2997-2115

MarcelRguez

@BLP_Software John Bain is an elitist tool โ€”among many other thingsโ€”, but that has little to do with the hit in quality Doom would take at 30fps.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

SKTTR

DOOM is about fast-paced action.

It would be logical to try and achieve 50-60fps on this port.
That's what Nintendo would do in a game where speed is one of the essential factors of gameplay.

They could even implement customization options for graphic settings, a simpler version of what is available in most PC games.
You know, something like 1080p/30fps and 900p/60fps.

I just hope they find the right balance. Maybe they'll blow us away with what Vulkan is capable of doing with the very compatible Switch hardware.

But man, I still play and love Breath of the Wild and that one has 30fps.
So, even locking DOOM at 30fps wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

I really just want to play DOOM on Switch on the go with that music cranked up in the bus and the train and kill demons everywhere. Then, shortly after that, I hope I can repeat the same fun but with ripping apart nazis instead of demons.

Edited on by SKTTR

backloggery.com/SKTTR

MegaTen

A high, solid frame rate has always been preferable, just like good graphics. I remember playing at the arcades, where games ran at 60fps...and always was blown away by it. I always wanted that quality - at home. Then you had things like the home-version of TEKKEN 2, or Gran Turismo's unlockable GT HiFi-Mode which ran at 60fps...or R4: Ridge Racer Type 4's Bonus Disc called Ridge Racer Hi-Spec Demo that contained Ridge Racer Turbo, running at 60fps. I was into these things a lot. Hell, Super Mario Kart even ran at 60fps. Super Bomberman R for Switch received a patch because 30fps isn't good enough for this kind of game.

Defending low frame rates is not going to help anyone. Especially when the type of game is in desperate need of it's opposite... Nintendo itself realizes it's importance, and is doing a great job in that respect. Imagine N64's F-ZERO X or GameCube's F-ZERO GX running at half the frame rate...nobody wants that!

Why Frame Rate Matters After All

Edited on by MegaTen

Done with gaming. Farewell people!

kobashi100

For me 60fps would be nice but not if it visually looks like a blur. Have to be realistic on what the switch can do.

If the only way to get it looking nice visually is 30fps then I will take that

kobashi100

NEStalgia

What was the original DOOM (DOS version) FPS again? And I don't mean glDOOM......

NEStalgia

JaxonH

kobashi100 wrote:

For me 60fps would be nice but not if it visually looks like a blur. Have to be realistic on what the switch can do.

If the only way to get it looking nice visually is 30fps then I will take that

This. Nobody wants to see 30 frames per second but we have to be realistic about it. And I do feel 30 frames per second needs to be defended because while yes, it is worse than 60 and while no, it's not what we actively want and hope for, it is still very much playable. It's not going to be that big of a deal for most people, and it's a very real possibility the game will need to run at 30 so let's hash this out now. Nobody is saying 30 is a better choice- what we are saying is that in the absence of hardware capable of producing a DOOM experience equivalent to X1/PS4, which is an unstable 60fp dropping to 50, 40 and in between... a stable, locked 30fps comes in a very close second place and is more than viable as an alternative.

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

Samus7Killer

30FPS seems so sluggish after playing 60FPS for so long

Samus7Killer

sillygostly

NEStalgia wrote:

What was the original DOOM (DOS version) FPS again? And I don't mean glDOOM......

35fps.

sillygostly

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3134-0847 | Nintendo Network ID: sillygostly

NaviAndMii

MegaTen wrote:

@mauroh It's a modernized "oldschool shooter". It's design is pretty reminiscent of the golden age of the FPS genre (AKA the 90s) of which the original DOOM was part of. Like the past game, it's hectic, fast but fluid; you have to dodge a lot. But it also has some minor linear elements; you have to clear waves of demons to proceed further.

The game was well-received, by both old and new fans alike. One of the better things was the design of the demons. Here's a comparison video (may contain spoilers!):

Sorry to go back - just wanted to thank @MegaTen for sharing that video! Man, that took me back! The Golden Age of Gaming right there! ..my appetite is well and truly whet for the Switch version now! I love how faithful it seems to be to the original - just brought right up to date with some nice modern touches added too! Can't wait to return to Hell and get my gore on again all these years later!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

๐ŸŽฎ SNES ๐ŸŽฎ N64 ๐ŸŽฎ GB ๐ŸŽฎ GG ๐ŸŽฎ PC ๐ŸŽฎ PS2 ๐ŸŽฎ GC ๐ŸŽฎ PSP ๐ŸŽฎ Wii ๐ŸŽฎ X360 ๐ŸŽฎ PS4 ๐ŸŽฎ MDC ๐ŸŽฎ Switch ๐ŸŽฎ

Currently Playing (Online):

PS4: GT Sport (DR: D, SR: S)

Switch: Mario Kart 8 DX (R: 8500, B: 2000) | Splatoon 2 (Lvl: 46, RM: A-, SZ: B+, TC: A)

Switch Nickname: TomCatโ˜…

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | My Nintendo: NaviAndMii

JaxonH

Ya this video rocks. Takes me back to the Windows 95 era... loaves of bread with wings flying around on your screensaver

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

Ryu_Niiyama

Oh I'm dead. Never beat the originals. (got sick playing doom 64...why am I doing this to myself?)

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Switch FC: SW-2230-0265-0353
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.
Villanova University: 2016 NCAA Champs! GO NOVA NATION! 2008 Alumna

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ryu_Niiyama

@Samus7Killer Yeah I'm going to buy it. I rolled my eye at the original Doom reveal, but for some reason I feel like the ability to tackle it small chunks on a smaller screen means I won't wimp out.

It's silly really. I don't mind horror (don't care for it personally, but it doesn't bother me) but since this scared the daylights out of me as a kid, I still panic when playing doom 64 or seeing the enemies. If I'm in the Switch thread whining about having accidentally thrown my switch, you'll know what I was playing. Not going to play this docked though.

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Switch FC: SW-2230-0265-0353
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.
Villanova University: 2016 NCAA Champs! GO NOVA NATION! 2008 Alumna

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

MegaTen

@NEStalgia 35fps (for 70Hz CRT monitors). Some source ports allow you to play at the original frame rate. Personally I use DOOM Retro.

@NaviAndMii I think the original DOOM still rocks. Kinda cool they went for the "DOOM 3" design of the Hellknight, instead of a palette swap like they did with the original.

DOOM is also one of the few games I always play at the second-highest difficulty. Gonna do the same when I attain the new one.

Done with gaming. Farewell people!

Paperboy

Would be so cool if they included the original Doom in the Switch version...

Paperboy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic