Forums

Topic: DOOM

Posts 141 to 160 of 1,213

Haruki_NLI

@MegaTen The key thing I took away from their statement is the DOOM look and feel, implying 60fps feel.

Im sure idSoftware would only do it if their vision was possible. Looking at stuff like Skyrim running comparably to PS4? Or the custom FIFA? Mario + Rabbids? Im sure custom Switch engines and wider used engines can get great results.

More so when using Vulkan

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Samus7Killer

@MegaTen nice reverse art...
Im wondering if this is just reverse and itll have the ugly version with the download notice on that ugly side? 🤔

Samus7Killer

JaxonH

People gotta get off this 60fps kick. Game was smooth on consoles and it wasn't 60fps. It was 40-60fps. And if 40-50fps hopping all over the place plays so good it "feels" like 60 and people think it's 60, then a locked 30 that's stable won't be much different.

It's one of those things where people could play it and love it and will say it feels great, but tell them it's not 60 and suddenly they'll say it plays horribly

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haruki_NLI

@JaxonH TotalBiscuit has been a perpetuator of this. Most of his videos say, and he even said it about BOTW, he hates, and thinks no one should play, games below 60fps.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

MarcelRguez

@BLP_Software John Bain is an elitist tool —among many other things—, but that has little to do with the hit in quality Doom would take at 30fps.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

SKTTR

DOOM is about fast-paced action.

It would be logical to try and achieve 50-60fps on this port.
That's what Nintendo would do in a game where speed is one of the essential factors of gameplay.

They could even implement customization options for graphic settings, a simpler version of what is available in most PC games.
You know, something like 1080p/30fps and 900p/60fps.

I just hope they find the right balance. Maybe they'll blow us away with what Vulkan is capable of doing with the very compatible Switch hardware.

But man, I still play and love Breath of the Wild and that one has 30fps.
So, even locking DOOM at 30fps wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

I really just want to play DOOM on Switch on the go with that music cranked up in the bus and the train and kill demons everywhere. Then, shortly after that, I hope I can repeat the same fun but with ripping apart nazis instead of demons.

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

kobashi100

For me 60fps would be nice but not if it visually looks like a blur. Have to be realistic on what the switch can do.

If the only way to get it looking nice visually is 30fps then I will take that

kobashi100

NEStalgia

What was the original DOOM (DOS version) FPS again? And I don't mean glDOOM......

NEStalgia

JaxonH

kobashi100 wrote:

For me 60fps would be nice but not if it visually looks like a blur. Have to be realistic on what the switch can do.

If the only way to get it looking nice visually is 30fps then I will take that

This. Nobody wants to see 30 frames per second but we have to be realistic about it. And I do feel 30 frames per second needs to be defended because while yes, it is worse than 60 and while no, it's not what we actively want and hope for, it is still very much playable. It's not going to be that big of a deal for most people, and it's a very real possibility the game will need to run at 30 so let's hash this out now. Nobody is saying 30 is a better choice- what we are saying is that in the absence of hardware capable of producing a DOOM experience equivalent to X1/PS4, which is an unstable 60fp dropping to 50, 40 and in between... a stable, locked 30fps comes in a very close second place and is more than viable as an alternative.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Samus7Killer

30FPS seems so sluggish after playing 60FPS for so long

Samus7Killer

Sisilly_G

NEStalgia wrote:

What was the original DOOM (DOS version) FPS again? And I don't mean glDOOM......

35fps.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

NaviAndMii

MegaTen wrote:

@mauroh It's a modernized "oldschool shooter". It's design is pretty reminiscent of the golden age of the FPS genre (AKA the 90s) of which the original DOOM was part of. Like the past game, it's hectic, fast but fluid; you have to dodge a lot. But it also has some minor linear elements; you have to clear waves of demons to proceed further.

The game was well-received, by both old and new fans alike. One of the better things was the design of the demons. Here's a comparison video (may contain spoilers!):

Sorry to go back - just wanted to thank @MegaTen for sharing that video! Man, that took me back! The Golden Age of Gaming right there! ..my appetite is well and truly whet for the Switch version now! I love how faithful it seems to be to the original - just brought right up to date with some nice modern touches added too! Can't wait to return to Hell and get my gore on again all these years later!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

JaxonH

Ya this video rocks. Takes me back to the Windows 95 era... loaves of bread with wings flying around on your screensaver

Ryu_Niiyama

Oh I'm dead. Never beat the originals. (got sick playing doom 64...why am I doing this to myself?)

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ryu_Niiyama

@Samus7Killer Yeah I'm going to buy it. I rolled my eye at the original Doom reveal, but for some reason I feel like the ability to tackle it small chunks on a smaller screen means I won't wimp out.

It's silly really. I don't mind horror (don't care for it personally, but it doesn't bother me) but since this scared the daylights out of me as a kid, I still panic when playing doom 64 or seeing the enemies. If I'm in the Switch thread whining about having accidentally thrown my switch, you'll know what I was playing. Not going to play this docked though.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Paperboy

Would be so cool if they included the original Doom in the Switch version...

Paperboy

Bart_T

@Ryu_Niiyama Honestly, I've played through the game twice on PC, and I can't really recall any actual horror moments. The game's brutal and gruesome, but not quite scary.

The fact that you're basically a one-man-army in the game really makes it feel more 'Let's kick some ass!' than 'ohgodscarydemonsrunrunRUN!'.

Bart_T

Peek-a-boo

Urgh.

Time to hop off the hype train, as Digital Foundry have confirmed that it’s going to be 30fps...

DOOM should have been prioritised to run at 60fps, even if the resolution and visuals takes a hefty hit. The silky smooth frame rate is one of the main reasons why the game is such a joy to play.

Peek-a-boo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic