Forums

Topic: DOOM

Posts 1,161 to 1,180 of 1,213

rallydefault

Been playing again after the patch, and seems... pretty much the same to me. I was one of the lucky few who didn't really encounter much in the way of bugs my first time through. I did experience the audio glitch maybe 2 or 3 times during the whole campaign, but that was it.

As @OorWullie mentioned, you really should go in and tweak the visuals before doing anything else. It's crazy they don't set the aberration off by default. The game looks so much better without it. It is weird but oddly charming to see a console game give so much visual customization lol

rallydefault

Sisilly_G

Switchcraft wrote:

Audio seems very compressed. Actually, captures on YouTube of the PS4 version almost sound better than the audio on Switch. That is very disappointing and I haven't seen this being mentioned in any review so far.

Audio will almost always be compromised for Switch versions of multiplatform games as it is an extremely easy method in which developers/publishers can help reduce the file size and consequently the cartridge size used. Where multi-platform games are concerned, the Switch version will almost certainly always be the loser as developers will be more focused on producing a serviceable handheld experience as opposed to enhancing the home theatre experience (hence why so few AAA games support home theatre set-ups and 5.1 surround sound on Switch).

I'll point out the example of Just Dance 2017 which shipped on a 16GB cartridge on Switch, pretty much bringing it to line with its console counterparts, but with Just Dance 2018, I noticed that the A/V quality was noticeably compromised (and I noticed this in handheld mode!!!). Surprise, surprise, the game was reduced to a measly 6GB or so file size (in other words, shipped on an 8GB cartridge) as a cost cutting measure. While many may not take notice, there was a lot of artefacting in the video that simply wasn't there in 2017. Considering that the video clips comprise the majority of the file size of the game, it was an easy compromise to make. Ironically, this makes the Switch version inferior to the Wii U version (in terms of A/V quality), as the Wii U has far more breathing space by default as all Wii U discs have 25GB of storage capacity, whereas it is believed that Nintendo offers 8GB cartridges by default on Switch.

It sure as hell isn't ideal, but expect this to be a lot more common.

Panic Button doesn't have any excuses with DOOM, really, seeing as they already cheaped out on the cartridge. Ideally, they should have used the 32GB cartridge, included ALL content as well as higher quality audio in order to bring the game in line with other platforms. Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of audiences don't particularly care about audio quality whether that be in their home entertainment set-up or the music that they listen to.

We could, theoretically, be listening to lossless music on the go, but most people seem happy enough to listen to music pirated at a 1/20th of the bitrate or purchased digitally at 1/6th of the bitrate of CD, and CDs are close to 40 years old and are noticeably lossy, and the industry still hasn't moved forward (in terms of offering audiences a premium listening experience). To put the market into further perspective, consumers are happy to pay hundreds of dollars for poor quality branded headphones to listen to 3 megabyte MP3s. And there is a certain group in Australia notorious for installing obscenely expensive stereo systems in their cars (some of which occupy the majroity of the boot [U.S.: trunk]) so that they too can listen to 3 megabyte MP3s. And don't get me started on "DJs". If you need any further demonstration of the sheer ignorance of the general consumer, I could begrudingly go on, but I think you get the idea.

So in short, yes, you aren't imagining things (where DOOM's audio is concerned).

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

JaxonH

I've been playing since the update. It's basically flawless.

Not a single audio issue, not a single performance issue, resolution looks a little bit higher now, Motion controls are spot on perfect...

I LOVE this freaking game now. I loved it before. It's always been a good game but now that that audio glitch is gone and the resolution doesn't seem to drop as low as it did before, and now that I can play with these perfect motion controls I swear this is one of my favorite games on the system. I was playing this challenge that I simply could not beat before where you had to kill 30 demons with 6 seconds on the clock and you got an extra second or two for every one you killed... I beat it now that I have motion controls. I can aim so fast and so precise... I was killing enemies that were so far away in the distance they looked like a tiny speck. But that's how accurate I'm able to aim now. It's incredible. It feels so good and so natural... it pulled me away from Bayonetta 2 even, and that's one of my favorite games from last generation. Even MH World. I just want to play DOOM now...

I recommend 62 for motion speed. I cannot remember what I have my analog speed set to but I think it's around 60 as well, and a tad less for vertical.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

OorWullie

@JaxonH Yep that's basically my thoughts too . I was so into the game when I first got it it but the audio glitches became too common for me that I ended up putting it down until it got patched. As the months went by without a patch in sight it kind of tainted my opinion of the game and Panic Button.If this update only contained an audio patch after all this time, I'm not sure I'd have been too motivated to go straight back to it. However the addition of motion controls, as well as various other graphical improvements went above and beyond what I expected and gave me the motivation to start the campaign again from scratch. The motion controls have made me so much better at the game and even more immersive than it already was.Its an incredible game that just got more incredible. With how much I love Rocket League and Doom, my opinion of Panic Button couldn't be higher. Bring on Wolfenstein 2,Im confident it'll have motion controls in there day one.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

SKTTR

So is that third (or rather first) Panic Button game for Switch any good? Astro Duel Deluxe?

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

OorWullie

@SKTTR I haven't played it but I recall it not getting very good reviews. It's average at best I think. Seems like they're better at porting than developing. Saying that, maybe it was just a lack of funds to develop a better game but with the success and experience they've gained since, they may go on to make a much better game next time.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

NintendoPete

JaxonH wrote:

I've been playing since the update. It's basically flawless.

Not a single audio issue, not a single performance issue, resolution looks a little bit higher now, Motion controls are spot on perfect...

I LOVE this freaking game now.

Same here, no issues whatsoever after the patch - motion controls are awesome and the rune trials much easier to accomplish.

NintendoPete

OorWullie

I told my mate about the addition of motion controls, he loves the game on Xbox and has recently started playing through it again too. He just laughed and said "they're not for me, dual analogue will always be the way to go. If they were better every shooter would have them".I'm sure he thinks it's a kiddy thing for us naive Nintendo gamers. He's not a clue, motion aiming adds so much to shooters and outside of a keyboard and mouse is the optimal way to play them. I'm sure AAA developers know that but are afraid to add them because of the uproar it would cause among a significant amount of PS4 /Xbone gamers.

Disclaimer ; I've never played a shooter with keyboard and mouse and would likely struggle if I tried but I've read many saying it's the optimal way so I trust their judgment. If I could play with them then it makes sense they would be super quick and accurate.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

GrailUK

I am personally hoping Turok 1 + 2 remastered comes to the Switch with gyro aim. That would be splendid.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

JaxonH

@OorWullie
Tell your bud that dual analog is the absolute worst way to play an FPS. Oh it can be done and even be fun, but tell him to take aim assist off and see how he fares. The only reason dual analog even works is because of copious amounts of aim assist.

But hey, if he likes the game to do the aiming for him, it's definitely the way to go, and always will be. If be wants to actually do the aiming himself, and be better at it than the game with aim assist... It's time to start questioning long held beliefs.

Best to just have him watch you play, and then pass a pro controller and turn off aim assist and have him take a crack at it. Won't take long to realize how bad he sucks in comparison. Seeing is believing

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

rallydefault

@OorWullie
It's true. Plank and mouse is the absolute best way to play an FPS. I'm not saying that just to be the PC snooty guy, it's just true.

You can even gather semi-objective proof on that. Overwatch on consoles, for example, bans players they find to be using a keyboard and mouse because it's such an unfair advantage over shmucks playing on the controller.

rallydefault

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I like that there's options and DOOM Switch is basically my expectations for Metroid Prime 4 in terms of controls.

Handheld, Pro controller and Joy-Con grip: Dual analog with optional gyro controls
Split Joy-Cons: Metroid Prime Trilogy's controls

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Gameplay_Matters

Switchcraft wrote:

So I finally got Doom because of motion controls. I wanted to wait for the price to drop but that doesn't seem to be happening soon. But boy, do I have issues with them! I think vertical sensitivity should be adjusted separately. I feel like it should be 50% vertically and 150% horizontally... I have a much higher accuracy with normal right stick aiming and aim assist (and I don't have a Pro controller).

I figured out what my problem with the motion controls is. It's been a while since I last played on Wii, but the way it was there was that you don't change the perspective with the wiimote but only the cursor. So I wanted to aim and shoot at everything that is visible on my screen and use the analog stick only to change the view. But sadly that's not how it works. The Switch would need a sensor like the Wii had to track where exactly you are pointing.
So now I still aim with the analog stick and only use the motion control to adjust the remaining 10% for sniping or whatever. But with a fast paced game like DOOM this is not much help to me. I wish only the cursor would move for at least minor movements. It needs something like a threshold, IMO.

Anyway, good game.
Thanks for the tips on setting the video options.

Gameplay_Matters

SKTTR

subpopz wrote:

I waited until the update hit to get into Doom (and until I finished XBC2). I think I'm really glad I did. I have not played a FPS with analog sticks since the Metroid Prime trilogy, and even that had lock-on. Before that, the last one I probably played was Goldeneye. Otherwise, I've been strictly kb/m for FPS.
I say this because I think that I would not enjoy this game without gyro/motion controls. I'm finding it wicked fun though and quickly got used to the motion. Lovin the soundtrack, and the no BS at getting started. No lengthy story, no real tutorial, just here you go...get blasting! I love a good story, but sometimes I just wanna jump in and have a blast and does this ever provide that on Switch.
I can't believe some people complain about the graphics being toned down from the PC/other console versions (yeah, yeah, they are prettier and I have a PC that'll run it).....but I'm truly amazed at having a game like this on a handheld. I don't think people appreciate that enough.

I did try it without motion controls, just to see what its like, and I honestly have no idea how people can play FPS using dual analog only. I must assume that anyone who tries to argue dual analog is best for FPS has never actually tried anything else.

Many can't handle motion controls. I know people first hand that prefer the clunkier dual analog controls.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

NintendoPete

finished Doom yesterday and it took me over 30 hours for the campaign. Found every secret and did all the rune trials but had major problems finding the secret levers. I guess I had to look up at least half of them because they are hidden quite well and sometimes in plain sight but are blended in the environment that I just missed them.

Great game and I can't praise the graphics and motion controls enough even though I prefer motion controls without using the right stick - like in red steel 2 or conduit - let me look around by using the gyro but have some threshold that you can adjust. But nevertheless - Doom rocks and I usually do not play these types of games anymore, but it makes me want to try out Wolfenstein 2

NintendoPete

astros75

@NintendoPete

I just started playing the game today and all I can say is wow. Can't wait to see what the rest of the campaign has in store for me. I'll be picking up Wolfenstein 2 when it releases as well.

Switch FC: 305297906526

Fav 3DS Games:
LoZ: ALBW ~ FE: Awakening ~ AC: New Leaf ~ Luigi Mansion: DM ~ Mario 3D Land ~ Smash Bros 3D

Fav Switch Games:
LoZ: BoW ~ SM Odyssey ~ MK8 ~ Arms ~ LA Noire ~ Doom

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0174-1633 | Nintendo Network ID: astros75

bluemage1989

Picked this up spontaneously and have been thoroughly surprised by the quality and enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would.

I like how it just throws you in hands you a gun and says go kill demons. Great quick gameplay and nice looking. I like the dual stick controls they may not be the best for everyone but they are work best for me. Tskrs me back to pre Halo shooters which were just about shameless action.

I thought Wolfenstein New Order and Old Blood were decent on Xbox One bit of a mixed bag for me but will to give Wolfenstein 2 a go on Switch.

bluemage1989

Eagle9

Does this have difficulty settings, or only default.

Edited on by Eagle9

It all started from Game&Watch.

3DS Friend Code 5455 9594 9430.
Switch Friend Code 7313-1538-3028.

Spoony_Tech

@Eagle9 You choose before you start your campaign so yes.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Eagle9

@Spoony_Tech
Haven't played this before, or any games like this. So is this too hard for me? And thanks.

It all started from Game&Watch.

3DS Friend Code 5455 9594 9430.
Switch Friend Code 7313-1538-3028.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic