Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch)

Posts 281 to 300 of 326

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Not really. It was actually a very simple statement. And I say this as someone who has occasionally indulged in the pleasure of fashioning a needlessly overwrought sentence or two.

Anyway, while I'm normally not a fan of underwater levels, this game handles controlling your character in water very well (versus Mario games, where I suddenly feel like I'm playing Flappy Bird any time he enters the water). What didn't you like about them? Or is it just a generalized dislike of watery environments in platforming games?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I think it's PTSD from playing TMNT on the NES. I'm not really a fan of underwater levels in general, but specifically DK....I LOVE the music and feel. I love that the physics are good for water. But I hate that the physics are good for water, which are in fact terrible for moving in predictable reliable precise positions when you're a freaking gorilla. It's "well done", but I personally find it miserable. The turning radius is like a Peterbilt at Daytona.

NEStalgia

Agriculture

BenGrimm wrote:

This game is definitely tough. Considering starting a Funky run just to finish it off.

Funky Kong is in some ways harder, because you don't get the updraft move Dixie Kong provides.

Agriculture

Agriculture

NEStalgia wrote:

@Ralizah I think it's PTSD from playing TMNT on the NES. I'm not really a fan of underwater levels in general, but specifically DK....I LOVE the music and feel. I love that the physics are good for water. But I hate that the physics are good for water, which are in fact terrible for moving in predictable reliable precise positions when you're a freaking gorilla. It's "well done", but I personally find it miserable. The turning radius is like a Peterbilt at Daytona.

The best underwater levels in gaming is in Mega Man. Mega Man sinks and it's just like a normal level except you can jump higher.

Agriculture

RR529

Yeah, I didn't really care for the underwater levels here. Even to the point that when I got back to World 4 after going back to the beginning to unlock the K Levels I was like, "Nope, I think I'm good", lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

robl45

Hello,

We are going back through and completing the secret levels after beating the main game. We are trying to get to world 3K, but it is saying we have not done world 3-6, which I know we definitely did do, but the world is greyed out and we can't get to it. It looks like there should be a path from the boss to the 3-6 world, has anyone else had this issue?

robl45

RR529

@robl45, That's the water world isn't it? It's been awhile since I've played it so I can't remember the exact layout (and I'm going to work in a few minutes, so I can't check right now), but I believe you unlock it via a secret exit in an earlier level (there are a couple in this world in particular, one of which is unlocked by a secret exit in a secret level, so if you've already unlocked one secret level here, search for a secret exit there).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

robl45

It is world right before water world

robl45

JaxonH

Reviving this thread in case anyone else is playing right now.

This is my 3rd full playthrough (maybe 4th? I lost track). The game is just so good I can't help but play it through every other year or so.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

dionysos283

@JaxonH
I also love this game to pieces! Maybe the best 2D platformer I've ever played.
But I have the opposite problem: I don't want to play too often, so that it stays relatively fresh, when I play it every 2-3 years.

dionysos283

Losermagnet

@JaxonH it's prolly my favorite modern 2d platformer. Ever play it on hard mode? That really made me admire the level design. And made me miss checkpoints lol.

Switch friend code: SW-2223-7827-8798
Give me a heads-up if you're going to send a request please.

1UP_MARIO

My favourite too I don’t think no modern 2d platformer comes close. Fantastic soundtrack too.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

dionysos283

@1UP_MARIO
The soundtrack is a masterpiece!
Some levels I love mostly because of the soundtrack. 😅

dionysos283

JaxonH

Funky mode was really fun, too. A good reason to replay when it released. But this time I'm back to using DK. Just hit a gold time run for Bopopolis 2-K and it felt so good.

Back on Wii U, I was #12 in the world for level 6-K, and actually #2 if counting no-damage runs. Was so proud of that. Also hit top 50 on 6-2 and top 350 for Perilous Pendulums, 3-K. Was devastated when they deleted the replays on the Wii U server for anyone outside top 10.

Idk if I have the patience to get back into time trials that hard-core again. I can settle for gold medal runs I think.

@dionysos283
Right on. Can always mix it up with Returns in between. I wish that game were on Switch.

@Losermagnet
I have, but never followed through because it was so difficult. I typically 100% the game and do time trials, but stop there. I've heard a lot of ppl go for 200% which is crazy to me.

@1UP_MARIO
Oh, the soundtrack is unbelievable. It boggles my mind how this game was never recognized or acknowledged for its soundtrack. Just goes to show the "awards" are all corporate in favor of the AAA marketing machine, not actually giving flowers to the ones that truly deserve it.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

1UP_MARIO

@dionysos283 @JaxonH yup fantastic ost. My favourite tropical freeze Track always changes too. 😀 chilly coast starts at 2:40 which never gets boring. Actually every track is for a different mood.

Enjoy

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Losermagnet

@JaxonH yeah the levels are really long so they're much more enjoyable with checkpoints. I don't regret playing it (except for the final boss. That i regret lol) through on hard but I can't recommend it either. Time Trials are where I drew the line lol. I find stuff like that way more challenging. But I imagine the levels are great for that type of gameplay too.

Player_One

@1UP_MARIO scorch N torch. Music and level. Like to hear everyone’s favourite

Player_One

JaxonH

@Losermagnet
Time trials are great for any skill level, because anyone of any skill can beat any level, it's just a question of how fast you can do it.

Start off by challenging yourself to hit a bronze medal in every stage. Or if you're somewhat skilled, silver should be no problem. Gold takes a lot of skill though. So don't go for gold until you've wet your feet a bit with the bronze and silvers.

I think you'll find it's incredibly fun and not really that hard. If you've played HARD mode you can definitely do time trials.

dionysos283

So, does anyone actually prefer the motion controls over button input?

I for one vastly prefer button input. The waggle mechanic is a fun gimmick for 1 or 2 levels, but it gets tedious very quickly. That’s why I play DKC Returns emulated with waggling mapped to a button.

dionysos283

Losermagnet

@JaxonH i guess I feel like if I get anything other than a gold I've failed. I'll give it the ol' college try though. I really like the idea of DKs moveset being used for speed and maintaining momentum.

@dionysos283 button inputs for me. I can't stand motion controls. Even gyro aiming kinda feels gimmicky to me.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic