Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch)

Posts 281 to 289 of 289

Ralizah

@electrolite77 Sleep on it for a day or two. I didn't have much of an issue with any of the bosses in this game, but I remember when I struggled to beat the final boss in God of War (PS2, not the new one), after trying probably a dozen times in a row to beat him, I sat the game down for a day or two, returned, and got him on my first go. Allow your brain to strengthen what you've learned on a neurobiological level.

Ralizah

bluemage1989

@electrolite77 the boss fights were the only let down in this game. They go on forever and with no check pointing having to start the whole thing over can be a real drag.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Arms and Mario Odyssey.

N64: Top Gear Rally.

Mega Drive: Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3.

SNES: F Zero and Donkey Kong Country.

electrolite77

Thanks for the replies folks. I’ve decided to leave it a couple of days and come back to it maybe when I’m off work later in the week.

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

NEStalgia

@Ralizah "Allow your brain to strengthen what you've learned on a neurobiological level." That has got to be the most overwrought statement I've ever read on a video game forum.

@bluemage1989 Yeah I agree, I hate, hate, hate, HATE the bosses in this game....they take far too long with far too many "phases" and yeah not checkpointing it drives me insane. I dread the boss star.

Though the sheer volume of minecart and rocket barrel levels get on my nerves too. The game shines with core platforming and those stages get in between the rhythm of the otherwise excellent platforming, making them feel kind of sparse.

I also dislike the underwater world....but I've always hated DK underwater and minecart worlds. I blame Rare.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia Not really. It was actually a very simple statement. And I say this as someone who has occasionally indulged in the pleasure of fashioning a needlessly overwrought sentence or two.

Anyway, while I'm normally not a fan of underwater levels, this game handles controlling your character in water very well (versus Mario games, where I suddenly feel like I'm playing Flappy Bird any time he enters the water). What didn't you like about them? Or is it just a generalized dislike of watery environments in platforming games?

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I think it's PTSD from playing TMNT on the NES. I'm not really a fan of underwater levels in general, but specifically DK....I LOVE the music and feel. I love that the physics are good for water. But I hate that the physics are good for water, which are in fact terrible for moving in predictable reliable precise positions when you're a freaking gorilla. It's "well done", but I personally find it miserable. The turning radius is like a Peterbilt at Daytona.

NEStalgia

Agriculture

BenGrimm wrote:

This game is definitely tough. Considering starting a Funky run just to finish it off.

Funky Kong is in some ways harder, because you don't get the updraft move Dixie Kong provides.

Agriculture

Agriculture

NEStalgia wrote:

@Ralizah I think it's PTSD from playing TMNT on the NES. I'm not really a fan of underwater levels in general, but specifically DK....I LOVE the music and feel. I love that the physics are good for water. But I hate that the physics are good for water, which are in fact terrible for moving in predictable reliable precise positions when you're a freaking gorilla. It's "well done", but I personally find it miserable. The turning radius is like a Peterbilt at Daytona.

The best underwater levels in gaming is in Mega Man. Mega Man sinks and it's just like a normal level except you can jump higher.

Agriculture

RR529

Yeah, I didn't really care for the underwater levels here. Even to the point that when I got back to World 4 after going back to the beginning to unlock the K Levels I was like, "Nope, I think I'm good", lol.

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic