Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch)

Posts 101 to 120 of 326

Grumblevolcano

I was expecting the game to be normal Switch game price (£50).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NaviAndMii

Yeah, sorry everyone - I was talking nonsense! I genuinely thought that the 'normal' UK price for a first-party WiiU port on Switch was £40 - but I was mistaken (it's more like £50) ..just ignore the jibberish I've been writing about pricing!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

OorWullie

Donkey Kong should be launching for no more than £40.It was a budget Wii U release compared to the premium £50 for titles like Super Mario 3D World. The problem with Switch is the new UK premium is £60 and budget titles like Kirby are £50. Even still the fact it launched for £40 quid 3 years ago and can now be had for cheaper than its RRP of £20 means its RRP should be no more than £39.99.Just because they've added Funky Kong to make the game easier doesn't change that.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Kimyonaakuma

@OorWullie Is £60 the new premium? I thought it was still £50 except for Breath of the Wild. I'm expecting Donkey Kong to be £50 but I'd say £40 is more appropriate.

If MK8 + 2 DLC packs and new battle mode =£60, and Bayonetta 1+2 = ~£45, then DK should be £40 at most.

It doesn't matter if they add a Funky Kong easy mode or maybe a resolution upgrade, it doesn't add up to a £50 price tag. But Nintendo prices games on the gameplay (allegedly), so I'm not expecting a reduced price. But with that said I'm probably going to buy it, it looks great and some people here have already recommended it to me. So I guess Nintendo's business is working.
Oh consumerism!

Kimyonaakuma

Octane

You shouldn't pay extra for a mode you shouldn't use in the first place. Funky Kong looks way too OP.

Octane

OorWullie

@Kimyonaakuma I think BOTW is the only title to cost £60 but there's been 2 or 3 that have cost £55.Off the top of my head I can only think of FIFA 18 but I'm sure there's more.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Kimyonaakuma

@OorWullie Fair enough, I haven't look at many prices for third party games. At least a £55 third party game is more likely to go on sale.
Nintendo did have £10 off ARMS at New Year so I'm hoping that they learn that reducing the price of old games can be a good business decision. They'll be able to sell BotW and Odyssey for the lifetime of the Switch but reducing the price of some ports or smaller games can't hurt

Kimyonaakuma

Grumblevolcano

@Octane Funky is just as OP in Tropical Freeze as he was in Mario Kart Wii

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

Who cares. $10 isn't gonna break the bank.

And if ever a game was worth the price, this... would be it. Besides, being a tribrid version makes every game worth the price, even more so for a game that's top of its genre, and one of the finest video games of all time.

I still watch the original launch trailer to this day

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NaviAndMii

JaxonH wrote:

Who cares. $10 isn't gonna break the bank.

I get what you're saying, especially given the apparent quality of the game itself - but £50/$60 does seem a little pricey for a ported game (if that is going to be the kind of price we're talking)

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe includes all of the DLC from the original, a fully fleshed-out Battle Mode (and the added stages that came with it) - as well as some new characters and general gameplay improvements - so it can sort of justify an 'inflated' price tag...with Tropical Freeze, as I understand it, the only additions are a new playable character (which they didn't have to build a new model for, just add one new mechanic) and a bump in resolution (which may not have taken much work either) - they're both great games, but one port seems to offer a significant amount more 'additional content' (over the original release) than the other, so that should perhaps be reflected in the price I think...

There's nothing 100% official yet, so perhaps the pricing will be a bit more generous than some retailers are suggesting - but I don't think that many people will 'double-dip' if they price it at £50 - and others may be reluctant to pay a premium price for a last-gen port...it's not so much that $10 is going to break the bank, more just the feeling that the inflated price-tag doesn't represent sufficient 'value for money' (compared to other, newer titles - or more generously priced Deluxe ports)

I do hope that they'll get the pricing right so that it's 'second chance' proves to be successful...either way, a top-drawer 2D platformer (w/ co-op play) was right at the top of my personal 'Switch checklist' when I first got the console - and Tropical Freeze was one of the potential WiiU ports I was hoping for - so I have a couple of great reasons to get it! ..but if they get the pricing wrong, it may not be as successful (sales wise) as it perhaps deserves to be

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Ralizah

$40 is the sweet spot for a game like this, I think. It has some minor changes, and is still a great game, so it's fully worth the money, but the changes aren't as substantial as in the Hyrule Warriors port (all DLC, Legends content, AND new BotW costumes) or MK8D (all DLC, a few new characters, and a redesigned battle mode).

IF they're pricing DKC:TF at full retail, then it should at least have a new world with 6 - 8 or so new levels to explore.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Ralizah There is the hybrid factor though. If Switch was just a home console or just a handheld then sure it would be overpriced but you can do both.

That is a terrible reason to give to try and justify it's exorbitant price. There is no justification for it being €20 now on Wii U and Nintendo releasing it on Switch for €60. It's greed, plain and simple.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Ralizah

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Not without substantial changes, anyway. Like I said, if there was some level of new content, the price wouldn't bother me as much.

Grumblevolcano

@SLIGEACH_EIRE You're just salty about Wii U ports in general. Let's be honest, if it was up to you 0 Wii U games would be playable on Switch.

Grumblevolcano

ZeD

As a player who skipped the Wii U and hopefully picking up a Switch next month, all these ports are welcoming news
Fingers crossed Windwaker HD makes it across

ZeD

Nintendo Network ID: desmayer | Twitter:

Ralizah

I might break down for portable Wind Waker. That game is a joy.

Chandlero

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

There is no justification for it being €20 now on Wii U and Nintendo releasing it on Switch for €60. It's greed, plain and simple.

What about the justification that one needs developer time and money to port a game from WiiU to Switch? This is no easy Drag and Drop task at all.

However, Nintendo should increase the price of the WiiU version to 60 EUR, too. Then you won't have a point anymore

Edited on by Chandlero

Monkey_Balls

Currently playing this on Wii U and have a love-love, love-hate, hate-hate relationship with it (sorry, but simply stating "love-hate" doesn't seem adequate enough). Every time I play I don't know whether I enjoy the game or want to throw it out of the window. While it has its great moments, most of the levels seem to be about trial and error, cheap deaths are aplenty, and the controls feel awkward (there's a horrible input lag that ruins the game).

I wish I could give it the same approval my (biased) avatar does, but the flaws can't be ignored. It's far from the amazing game many claim it to be. When it comes to (Wii U) platforming, NSMBU, Yoshi's Woolly World and Rayman Legends do it much better. I certainly wouldn't pay full price for the Switch version (even if I didn't own the Wii U version). Sorry DK, I love you man (er, ape), but I can't praise this game as much as I wanted to (or others seem to do).

My avatar will now haunt me forever. Stop looking at me!

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

Ralizah

@Monkey_Balls Did you play Donkey Kong Country Returns?

Chandlero

Monkey_Balls wrote:

(there's a horrible input lag that ruins the game).

Honestly, I don't know what are you talking about. I never felt any horrible input lag at all while playing the game. And I am playing Super Smash Bros. Melee only on CRTs for avoiding input lags. So maybe you could describe the problem in more detail?

Edited on by Chandlero

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic