Forums

Topic: Do you think we will ever get the ability to sell digital games to another person?

Posts 81 to 94 of 94

Slitth

No
This is good because more of the money you use goes to the ones that develop the game.
Where if you buy used copy you are give money to the previous owner.

Besides all the fraud that could be made with selling your license is not worth the time

Slitth

GameOtaku

@Slitth
But what if the game is no longer available? If they aren't currently selling it and not making any attempt to do so your only option is to buy from someone who has it.

GameOtaku

BruceCM

GameOtaku wrote:

If it can age then it should be considered new or used!

Afraid not.... I can still buy a 'new' Switch physical game from last year. That may have been sitting on the shelf or elsewhere for months. But it's not used.
While when you move files, even on your own phone or whatever, how it actually works is copying it to the new location & deleting the original. So, however you transferred your digital game to another person, they don't actually get the 'used' version
In the same way you can't play Wii & Wii U games on Switch, unless it's ports, etc, you might not be able to play Switch games on future consoles. Is that clearer?
"By y'alls own assertion some data can't be ran using today's computers so that would imply age."
It

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Slitth

GameOtaku wrote:

@Slitth
But what if the game is no longer available? If they aren't currently selling it and not making any attempt to do so your only option is to buy from someone who has it.

Then the game is no longer available to sell on the service that handles the User Licence.
Because that what you are really selling. An User Licence.

As the User Licence is bound you your account, you would need a way to unbind the Licence.
While that would be possible it open up a lot of problems.
What if you account was hack and the unbind all your the games?
Can you get them bound to account again?
What if the Licence key is not bound to another account?

No, that would make account hacking much more profitable and therefore more enticing.
Any digital store would be wise not to open up this can of worms.

And there is also the possibility that reselling of User License may cost the developer so much money that they close. And then you cannot get "new" copy of the game any more.

Besides most digital stores have discounts on older games that would be cheaper that a "used" game.

Slitth

Mountain_Man

Link-Hero wrote:

Mountain_Man wrote:

They think that because it does. Do you know what a store like Gamestop does with the money from used game sales? They use it to support their business which includes purchasing new games from publishers to keep their stores stocked. It's a win for everybody.

Here's the thing, I want the money to go to the company that made the product, not the ones who are selling it. It's one of the big reasons why I'm such a supporter of digital downloads since I know that most of that money is going directly to the developers and publishers.

Don't kid yourself. Digital shops are taking a cut of the purchase, then publishers take their cut, and then developers get their cut, depending on their agreement with the publisher — in some cases, developers are given a certain amount up-front with additional payments tied to milestones, such as "Earn a minimum score of 8.5 on Metacritic" or "Sell X number of copies in the first week". If you think buying digitally means the developer gets more money then you're just fooling yourself.

When it comes to physical purchases, once the game box lands on a store shelf, the publisher has already been paid by the store. That's how it works: the shop buys from the publishers and then tries to turn a profit by selling to the public. That's one of the reasons stores like GameStop push pre-sales, because they don't want to eat the loss on unsold product.

Edited on by Mountain_Man

The Mountain Man

Slitth

@Mountain_Man
Do you think that the store buy it at the same price?
No they get a cut to, same as a digital store.
Sure the physical store might have to pay the publishers and developers cut before the sale.
But there is always a split between the store, publisher and developer.

On pre-owned the games is often sold to the store first and then to the new owner.
Now where in this chain does the publishers and developers get a cut?

So buying unused games supports the ones the create and deliver the games to you.
Pre-owned do not.

Slitth

Mountain_Man

Slitth wrote:

@Mountain_Man

Of course not, but the markup is only a few percent. Stores like GameStop usually have razor thin profit margins on new sales. Used sales is where they make the real money because the markup is much larger.

And, yes, buying used from GameStop does support the industry, as I said, because they use part of the revenue from used sales to buy new product which directly benefits the publisher and developer.

The Mountain Man

kkslider5552000

Slitth wrote:

So buying unused games supports the executives who run the companies who publish games.
Pre-owned do not.

amended for accuracy

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CurryPowderKeg79

Mountain_Man wrote:

Slitth wrote:

@Mountain_Man

Of course not, but the markup is only a few percent. Stores like GameStop usually have razor thin profit margins on new sales. Used sales is where they make the real money because the markup is much larger.

And, yes, buying used from GameStop does support the industry, as I said, because they use part of the revenue from used sales to buy new product which directly benefits the publisher and developer.

Gamestop has huge margins on used games they will pay you $17 or $18 for a game then sell it for $55 a 300% markup. I never sell games to brick and mortar stores anymore(Rip Off). I sell them on Ebay for 2 time what they would pay me. Which is a deal for me and the buyer. As i get double the money and the buyer gets it for $36 instead of $55.

(CURRENTLY PLAYING)
ASPHALT 9: LEGENDS

Switch Friend Code: SW-3830-1045-2921

Mountain_Man

It depends on the game. Newer, popular, and rare games will naturally fetch a higher price, but I've always found GameStop to be fair, and it beats the hassle of eBay.

The Mountain Man

DenDen

Why whould you want to sell a digital game?

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Sisilly_G

It'll never happen unless consumer laws change, and that power ultimately lies with the people.

The corporations themselves, however, would never be willing to allow such a practice.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Slitth

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Slitth wrote:

So buying unused games supports the executives who run the companies who publish games.
Pre-owned do not.

amended for accuracy

Yes there are people that sit on top of it all and earn money.
Without executives and investors company do not run and games do not get made.

Mountain_Man wrote:

Slitth wrote:

@Mountain_Man

That depend where or not enough new-sales as made to keep the publisher and developer afloat.
And Pre-owned take away from new-sales making the publisher and developer more vulnerable.

Not to mention that the money earned from a Pre-owned sell do not necessarily goes to buying a new game from the same publisher or developer.
The Pre-owned could be a Mario-game. but the sell from the Mario found the purchase of a new PS4 games.
Or perhaps the money goes to the executives and investors of the store.

In short by buying pre-owned you may not be support the creators of the games you like.
The money could go to the people you hate the most.

Buy new ensures that at least some of the money goes to the creators of the games you like

Slitth

Sorry, this topic has been locked.