Forums

Topic: Do you feel like the Switch is going to be a let down?

Posts 161 to 180 of 232

Bigj0110

Bigj0110 wrote:

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

Bigj0110 wrote:

Spanjard wrote:

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

Spanjard wrote:

@KirbyTheVampire How would making the system way more expensive sell it better? 4K on such a small screen? Are you kidding me?

It's just a hypothetical scenario. 4K on mainstream mobile devices is years away. I'm just saying that resolution sells pretty well, especially if it's 4K. Nintendo fans tend to dismiss such things as resolution, but sometimes better specs do make a difference. Not that it would be a plus in this case, since the Switch is already pricey, and like you said, it's a small screen. Still, 4K on the tablet and 4K support for the TV would be a big hit. It would never happen at this point, though.

I agree that 4K for its docked state would be nice eventually. 1080 on the system itself will be fine even years down the line I think. Heck, I play on my new 3ds XL still fine. But that obviously needs replacement, thus Switch. But I do think it's different for gaming than it is for watching movies etc. Games are an interactive medium. You are part of the experience and so I think it is not as much of an issue.

I wasn't talking about 4K on the handheld. I was talking about only when docked.

Second of all all I was trying to say is that since other consoles that are coming out soon is capable of running native 4K(Xbox One Scorpio). All I'm saying is to have this console be able to at least make the minimum requirements 1080P. At least when docked. Because slowly but surely 4K is becoming mainstream for TVs. So all I'm saying again is to make it 1080P, as a minimum requirement.

I think it does run at 1080p when docked, for a lot of games anyway. Not 100% sure on that, though.

I mean if it's not going to be able to run 1080P at least when docked. To me that is a little bit of let down. Maybe it's just me, but I say this because I feel like Nintendo is slacking. I mean, I would even go as far as may be making the minimum requirement for games to be native 1080P. Then when you're using the console as a handheld, it down sizes to 720P(like I read the screen resolution is going to be). Which I am completely ok with that because it's going to save battery. But when it's docked there's no excuse as to why it shouldn't be a minimum requirement of 1080P.

I mean at least if you're not going to support majority of the older or newer AAA games. At least do a much better job in the hardware department to makeup or compensate for that!

Bigj0110

rallydefault

@Bigj0110
It can run at 1080p when docked...

As with any game and any console, though, it's on a case-by-case basis. But it is certainly capable, and that has been reported on numerous times.

rallydefault

TheMisterManGuy

If you were expecting any sort of radical shift in Nintendo's philosophical and idealogical views on gaming, of course you're going to be disappointed. Nintendo might be done with the Wii brand, but the philosophies and technology that it introduced still remain within the company and they're never going to go away.

TheMisterManGuy

FGPackers

Annother reason i don't think as the title, just to put it there: there will be a great steady flow of games. Nintendo understood it and is doing a lot of good things about it: last case the Splatoon 2 global testfire starting at the end of March. I like the way they are doing things with Switch: for the first time since Wii era they are doing ads on italian tv, where Sony almost owns all the console market unfortunately...

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Brian-Price

@BiasedSonyFan im a playstation 4 owner too, but i grow tired of greyscaled dark dull games such as dark souls, witcher, from honor, ect. Nintendo offers JRPGs more and colorful vivid expuerence.

Brian-Price

zitpig

ReeLongbow wrote:

@BiasedSonyFan im a playstation 4 owner too, but i grow tired of greyscaled dark dull games such as dark souls, witcher, from honor, ect. Nintendo offers JRPGs more and colorful vivid expuerence.

You obviously haven't played The Witcher III as it's one of the most vibrant and colourful games on any system -

Untitled

Untitled

Has Nintendo ever released a JRPG? Hmmmm... Nintendo systems have however hosted some JRPGs, but other than Earthbound, which is hardly a traditional JRPG I can't think of one JRPG that they've developed and published. Super Mario RPG was written by Square. Paper Mario is close, but again, I wouldn't class that as a tradtional JRPG either.

zitpig

Brian-Price

@zitpig Thats a nice screen shot but Sony does not have the games i want, and i grow bored of playing Uncharted 4 over and over. Nintendo basically has all the Dragon Quest games, and with DQ X and XI coming soon to switch, i can't wait. Also XenoBlade and Legend of Zelda is open-world beautiful games.

Edited on by Brian-Price

Brian-Price

zitpig

Zelda isn't a JRPG either, BTW.

BTW DragonQuest may well release on other formats too.

If all you look for is dull western games on PS4, you're looking in the wrong place - or deliberately looking for dull western games. PS4 has soooo much more than that.

And before you state Sony fanboy, I'm far from it - I've got all platforms since the 8bit days, including the PC Engine, Megadrive and everything upwards. I'm more excited for the Switch than I have been for any system ever. I can;t wait to play all those games and many more to come - my fave games of all time have all been Nintendo - Animal Crossing, Zelda, Pikmin, Metroid etc. etc. etc. If only we could get a sequel to Eternal Darkness on Switch, eh?

zitpig

Octane

ReeLongbow wrote:

BiasedSonyFan im a playstation 4 owner too, but i grow tired of greyscaled dark dull games such as dark souls, witcher, from honor, ect. Nintendo offers JRPGs more and colorful vivid expuerence.

What else did you expect from the medieval horror inspired Dark Souls?

Also, don't throw away your PS4 just yet, this is still coming too, arguably the most colourful RPG I've ever seen:

Untitled

Octane

rallydefault

Yea, come on, guys. I was playing Call of Duty once, and I couldn't be sure, but I THINK there was some sort of ray of light coming through a window. I could've been wrong, but that doesn't sound very "dull and gray," now does it! ha!

I kid. I actually really enjoy CoD for some reason. Well, not the past couple actually. Anyway, it's not true that the other consoles don't have bright and creative games. They definitely do.

rallydefault

kkslider5552000

It's just that they get overshadowed quicker than you can say "every hardcore, original 3rd party Wii game that was actually good"

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

KirbyTheVampire

The examples I always hear from people about how PS4 only has dark and dull games are Dark Souls 3 and CoD. There are a lot more games on the current most popular console than Dark Souls 3 and CoD, lol. There are actually a lot of colorful and cheerful games on the PS4. If you absolutely can't stand dark games though, Nintendo's probably more up your alley, since there tends to be very few, or at least very few first party ones.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

BigBadJohn

PS4 has a really good library of games in a large variety of genres. It's a very good console. The only thing that gets me about games on my PS4 is that it's home to these massive franchises that bring out new iterations every year that are almost identical to the last game. I've owned every Sony console and really apart from being more powerful than the console that came before nothing new is added. I'm a big Nintendo fan because they go their own way. They try something new every time. It's a very brave decision when the easy route is to just make a powerful console that competes with Sony and Microsoft.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

Octane

@Mellor2000 If you're talking about FIFA and COD, I mean, you don't have to buy them. I don't buy them too, but their presence doesn't sour my time playing the other games that I do like.

Octane

rallydefault

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

The examples I always hear from people about how PS4 only has dark and dull games are Dark Souls 3 and CoD. There are a lot more games on the current most popular console than Dark Souls 3 and CoD, lol. There are actually a lot of colorful and cheerful games on the PS4. If you absolutely can't stand dark games though, Nintendo's probably more up your alley, since there tends to be very few, or at least very few first party ones.

Yea! There is also the Witcher, people!

Lol again I joke. I played PS/Xbox brand consoles for roughly a decade. They have lots of awesome games.

rallydefault

Brian-Price

I own a ps4, ive owned nothing but playstation since 2009 and im very bored of what the ps4 has offered, very bland games IMO.

Brian-Price

rallydefault

@KidRad
I'm in the same boat. I considered trading in my PS4 and Xbox One toward the Switch (I still may trade my One), but I think I'll keep the PS4 as a BluRay machine. Also, one of my favorite games of all time is The Last of Us, so I'll keep it for the sequel whenever that comes out. I haven't touched my Xbox in months only to find out the power supply is busted, and I've been playing the Uncharted Trilogy on my PS4 for the last year or whatever and have been really disappointed by the games that I thought I would love.

rallydefault

ErrantEmbers

It's tough to say if I expect to be letdown by the Switch. I was disappointed in the Wii and Wii U, and yet those are both in polar opposites of the spectrum - one super successful and one...not successful. I had high expectations for Wii which is probably what led to disappointment since it was focused too much on motion controls which I didn't enjoy. And the Wii U I had almost no expectations at all for. I simply bought it because it was "the next Nintendo system". I almost didn't even buy it at all but ended up seeing it in Target maybe 2 weeks after launch and said "why not?". Despite that, I was still disappointed with the Wii U.

So that said, I'm trying to go into the Switch with low expectations so I'm not disappointed. Right now, though, I'm loving the console itself, way more than I did the Wii and Wii U. I think the "secret ingredient" of the console is very appealing to me - being able to play anywhere and with several play styles. I love that approach. But as we all know, it's all about the games. Sure the system could be amazing but without great games it's useless. So it's hard to say right now if the Switch will deliver on enough great games that I enjoy. Wii had a few gems, Wii U had a few gems, but neither offered enough that I liked personally. I'd like to think Switch will offer more for me than those two but who knows? I'm trying to keep my expectations in check, but at this time, I would have to lean towards "no". I am optimistic that the Swtich will deliver.

ErrantEmbers

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.