Forums

Topic: Disgaea 5 Complete

Posts 101 to 120 of 161

JasmineDragon

@FGPackers I honestly prefer it in handheld mode, as it's a lot easier on my eye and psychologically I feel like I can take my time and tinker with things in handheld. I'm about 10 hours in and over 5 hours have been spent in my netherworld! That's just how I play these things. I love tinkering.

To be honest, I had started to think that the strategy in D5 was going to be simplistic all the way through (like FF Tactics or Fire Emblem mostly are), but I've just discovered how wrong I was in the fifth level of the second world. Things are really starting to get interesting now. Looks like everything up to here was basically a tutorial. I like it a lot.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

FGPackers

@JasmineDragon i have like 5 hours and i have to do 2nd level of 2nd Netherworld. By the way yes, as of now all levels were really easy. I'm waiting for more difficult to come...

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

SKTTR

I'm 15 hours in, chapter 5, and the game just adds and adds more and more stuff.

There are really interesting mechanics like forming squads or sending troops for research, capturing and interrogating enemies, making political bribes and cheat the system, not to mention the crazy amount of different combos and skills and items and units and quests, and all the free DLC that would cost you 45 bucks on PS4.

I like how the main hub grows over time, more features and NPCs are added every couple of stages, it doesn't seem to stop anytime soon. Something to sink into in the next weeks/couple of months.

From what I've played this seems to be an extremely polished, bargain, definite deluxe edition of the original game. I enjoy it, and hopefully get through it while waiting for the next big SWITCH RPG to hit the shelves (probably Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star or Skyrim).

Edited on by SKTTR

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

FGPackers

@SKTTR yeah i'm loving this one too. If i remember right i'm at 13/14 hours and i just started Episode 4. It is massive, but not overwhelming, and "SUPER" fun!

FGPackers

BigBadJohn

Embarrassingly I'm about 20 hours in and only just discovered you can swap to your sub weapon during battle!

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

JasmineDragon

BigBadJohn wrote:

Embarrassingly I'm about 20 hours in and only just discovered you can swap to your sub weapon during battle!

Even more embarrassingly, I'm also 20 hours in and discovered that fact by reading your post. I really miss manuals. One thing I'm not crazy about in D5 is that it's really hard to figure out what things actually do. Even the Help section is, well, not much help.

Great game, though, overall. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

FGPackers

I'm kind of wasting time doing again and again low level maps to get class mastery to unlock new ones through quests, even because sometimes characters i recruit "stay behind" in level. I get some help with research on the exp side but i don't think i can get class mastery out of it...so i'm going really slow on story mode but i'm trying to get everything i can...

FGPackers

SMW

@JasmineDragon I agree that they don't explain some things enough. I've played almost all of the other Disgaea games in the series, but this one has so many new and unique things that even I don't get. You just have to learn as you go.

SMW

derrin

@Xyphon22 Well that only matters if you are a collector I guess. It's available in the eshop. I think there is demo you can download.

derrin

FGPackers

@JasmineDragon @BigBadJohn i did not have your kind problems, but i have to say i used like 2 hours at least reading ALL help section. ALL. OF. IT. It was a huge patience work lol

FGPackers

BigBadJohn

@FGPackers Reading the help sections undoubtedly would have helped but there are so many systems at play in this game I just got bored of reading plus it's quite nice discovering things as I go. Remember there are no tutorial levels in life.

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

rallydefault

I played the demo and liked it, but not enough for a purchase just yet. And reading some of your posts makes me both excited to maybe own it one day, but glad I don't own it now. All of the systems in the game sound very complicated, and I'm usually more of an action-y, twitch gamer. I did enjoy FF Tactics back in the day, but looking back at that, it really wasn't all that complicated.

rallydefault

SKTTR

Since this is my first Disgaea game I also have some questions.

I'm into solving quests, as they're a good place to learn many of the games mechanics.

1. There are quests in green and black, what's the difference?

2. I'm unsure how to upgrade classes, like Fighter or Mage? What do I have to do? It's not in the main help section of the game, but I'm too lazy to read through dozens of help text pages from all the different NPCs just to find the correct help section. Referring to quest "Impregnable Guard".

3. There's a quest called "Enhancing Skills!" where you have to "increase the Enhance Level to 3". What does that mean?

I have plenty more questions, but I'm going to focus on just a few things at a time, instead of posting wall of texts here. ^^

Edited on by SKTTR

FGPackers

@SKTTR 1. Black seem "repeatable" quests, green not repeatable (unlocking new classes for example)

2. You have to use classes in combat to get mastery and unlock new ones through quests. And right now i discovered that i wasted a lot of time since in the assembly you can put sub classes to main characters and get mastery through them, and not only by using hired characters. So you don't really need to use recruited ones (now i'm using them just for research). Doing it this way you can unlock new evilities for main characters too! Check them in "status" page

3. For enhancing skills go to skills shop

Edited on by FGPackers

FGPackers

SKTTR

@FGPackers Thank you very much! Still some questions.

1. Isn't there an icon for quests already completed? I haven't found one, and it sucks to check the "completed quests" list and compare it to the open quest list to see what I've already done.

2. Using classes in combat? You mean using special skills?
I have assigned all my characters to free spots in all the different squads. I don't know exactly what each of they do. But at least I got a squad researching netherworlds from which I just got my first 100% that got me some special stuff and items and captured citizens.

3. So enhancing is only possible in the Skills Shop? Enhancing skills in battle doesn't count for this quest?

Edited on by SKTTR

FGPackers

@SKTTR

1. If you mean something to tell you that you have completed a quest, a message pops up in the right upper corner when you are in the main HUB saying "quest done". Instead if you mean how i recognize which quests is better to do just look at prizes: classes and evilities are best ones (green ones)

2. I mean using actual characters in combat based on classes. You can check by going on "status" page and go the second-to-last page on the right. If a class is in a different colour that's it. If there is not a class selected you can do it in the assembly in the main HUB near the interrogations NPC (but set/change it only for overlords, not with recruited characters because they will not increase in their original class and lose a lot of bonuses. They would be useless at that point). About squads you can check what they do in the squad list menu, if you press Y you can have a better idea by looking at level bonuses.

3. Enhancing is only in skills shop (the "letter level" of the skill: F -> F+ -> E -> E+, etc). In combat you just raise skills level, that's a different thing.

Now i have to start Episode 5. I'm starting to comprehend better the mechanics now and wow. Game is really deep and satisfying to play!! You have a lot of options based on your playstyle. I thought i would have drop this after some hours, instead i want more everytime!!

FGPackers

NEStalgia

@JasmineDragon Oh geeze, a printed manual for Disgaea would look like a Manhattan phone book.

NEStalgia

JasmineDragon

@NEStalgia Heh, coincidentally I have been packing up our house for moving and came across some of the old manuals for computer games - not the little Nintendo manuals but actual books written for games like Starfleet Command, Hearts of Iron and Arcanum. I should probably get rid of them, as I don't even have those games anymore and they have no real "purpose" now. But I couldn't do it. They are great things to read through. I packed them all up with the rest of my books.

Disgaea could really use one of those.

NEStalgia

@JasmineDragon Starfleet Command....that thing came with a SPIRAL BOUND book if I remember correctly! I still have that (and the box and the game) around somewhere! Interplay was incredible. That was the height of their heyday.

Arcanum....oddly I don't remember the manual. I have it around somewhere. Sierra didn't have as amazing a "free swag" setup as Interplay though.

For a game like Disgaea, though, there's just so MANY little baubles....a book would be great! And yet, it would be encyclopedic rather than instructional I think!

NEStalgia

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.