Forums

Topic: Dark Souls Remastered \[т]/

Posts 101 to 120 of 1,002

Dezzy

I think the fact that this is going to be so cheap probably suggests they haven't changed much about it but it's just a fairly straight port of the original game. I'm mostly fine with that. The original was designed so well and I think the visuals of 2011 suit the game just fine.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Pazzo-TheFool

I waited and held off on buying Dark Souls for a long time because a glimmer of hope said that the Switch might get it, and here we are. Big MH guy, can't wait to try it.

'The shortest route was a detour. It was a detour that was our shortest path.'
Tell me your favorite plant.
~~youtu.be/r0HnIr6jYWU~~

Dezzy

Monster hunter? It's not really like that.

KirbyTheVampire

@Dezzy It's pretty similar, though. Other things are somewhat different, but the combat is pretty darn similar.

KirbyTheVampire

maruse

Wow! Quite a "hot" topic this is!

Everyone has their opinion and preferences. Some prefer probability above all else, others prefer frame rate or ultra realistic graphics... It's all in the eye of the beholder. What's good for some, it's crap for others. It's always been like this and will never change.

For those who own multiple platforms and don't care about portability, by all means get any version but the Switch's.
For those who think probability is a big plus, or for those who only own a Switch (like myself) all these ports are Heaven sent even if there are compromises to be made. I myself, don't play Doom side by side with a PS4 Pro comparing graphics and frame rate every second. I play Doom on my Switch and find it perfectly enjoyable in every single way possible. That's enough for me since I play games to have fun, and Doom and Skyrim are giving me hours upon hours of fun.
I honestly think that even if I had a PS4 or Xbox I still buy all those games on the Switch, since the compromises are perfectly bearable and don't take a bit away from the enjoyment but give you the plus of being able to play anywhere, anytime. Like I said before, it all comes down to personal preferences.

Nickname/user name: マノロ

Switch Friend Code: SW-0173-2422-2348 | Nintendo Network ID: maruse

JaxonH

A bunch of Dark Souls players are jumping into MH because of the combat. It only makes sense MH fans would do the same.

I'm a vet of 1600 some odd hours, and I've played a bit of Dark Souls. It's definitely different but at the same time you have to learn the precise moment to dodge roll, and as someone who always ran Evasion builds in MH, dodging though attacks with i-frames is my forte.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

kobashi100

PS4 or Switch Version?

Not a difficult choice @ all for me. The version that allows me to play the game whenever and wherever I want is always gonna win.

Need that dark souls fix on my train to work.

kobashi100

Dezzy

Vaati Vidya announced that he's redoing all of his old lore videos for Dark Souls to coincide with this remaster (they were originally on a really bad microphone)

So for people who don't know: Dark Souls has a fairly detailed story and lore but absolutely nothing is actually told to you. It's all hidden away in the world for you to discover if you choose to. A combination of item descriptions and hidden character questlines reveals most of the story and lore. But on your average playthrough, you'll miss a lot of it unless you know where to look. So various youtube channels cropped up that just explained all of the stories and lore for people who didn't have hundreds of hours to go and piece it together themselves. Vaati Vidya's is the biggest and best channel for this. It adds so much to the game if you go and watch all the videos after playing it.

Octane

@Dezzy We haven't seen any footage yet, have we? The Shadow of the Colossus remake is built from the ground up and is €39.99 too. I hope this is similar to that. On the other hand, the original game doesn't look bad. Increased resolution and a new lighting system can do wonders.

Octane

-Green-

Dark soul games have very simplistic story. They’re all very similar.

The lore is difficult mostly because it’s broken up and purposely vague. Not to mention in Dark Souls 1 there is also that issue of time ‘distortion’.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

bluemage1989

@Dezzy

That sounds really interesting. I like when games do away with fast travel till the end it makes every journey feel important and I get a kick out of planning every trip. I know I could just ignore fapaychology if it's there but my psychology just tempts me to much and I end up losing out on the experience.

Off topic but really hope we see Dragons Dogma come to Switch. Not one for replaying games all the time but would like to replay one of my favourite games of last gen.

bluemage1989

JaxonH

@bluemage1989
Dragon's Dogma on Switch would be amazing.

Even if I don't want to replay a particular game right away, I'm all for porting the 7th generation creme de la creme. Because A there's always people who want to replay right away B there's always people who haven't played it and C there's people who want their favorite games on a handheld, even if not replaying immediately.

I love having a modern, all in one system with a pool of all the best games compiled onto one device that offers them all in handheld, console and portable console. I swear if I could buy every single good Wii U and PS3 game on Switch, I would.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

bluemage1989

@JaxonH

I think it's good to see so many titles coming forward to the Switch who would have thought wed have the likes of LA Noire, Skyrim and Wolfenstein 2 on Switch. And the WiiU ports are great at filling out the library and for all those people who missed out on some great WiiU games. I hope the balance of ports, multiplats, indies, first party and third party exclusives finds a good balance. I would hate to see such a great machine become a Nintendo and last gen port machine.

I like playing some last gen games but like retro I always prefer playing on original hardware rather than all on one system. That's just me though and I can see why so many people like the modern all in one system.

Would you prefer straight ports at a budget price or full price for an improved game like MK8D??

bluemage1989

JaxonH

@bluemage1989
Well, who wouldn't prefer a lower price, right? But I have no issue if they do charge full price. If the game is worth it. Which, so far they've all been worthy. DKC Tropical Freeze is the best 2D Platformer ever created. Definitely worth the price. Hyrule Warriors will have all the Legends content and season pass content. Definitely worth it. But when games do get a discount (like Dark Souls or Bayonetta 1/2) even better. I've never really been a stickler for discounted prices though. I settle it in my mind that every single game is $60, and anything less is a bonus.

I agree about balance. Of course I'm all for ports, but obviously that comes with the expectation of a balance of new games as well. So as long as they're not all we get, I'm ok with it. The way I see it, ported games are almost always contracted out to studios for hire, so it's usually games in addition to, above and beyond what we would have gotten otherwise. Like, we can get 10 new 1st party exclusives in 2018, or 10 new 1st party exclusives + 5 ports of Wii U exclusives. So in my view, it's all cherries on top. That's why I like to see as many as possible. When PS4 was getting mountains of ports in 2014-2015, I was a staunch defender of those games.

I was telling someone else, we got 7 big, new Nintendo exclusives in 2017, plus 2 Wii U ports. Right now, we already have 7 big, new Nintendo exclusives in the pipeline, in addition to 4 Wii U ports. That's as much, if not more than what we saw for the entire year of 2017, and it's only the second week of the year. Still have yet to see the spring Direct, E3 or the fall announcements. And we have far more 3rd party support than we did last year as well, many brand new games, exclusive or at the very least are masterpieces (The World Ends With You, SMTV, Dragon Quest XI, Valkyria Chronicles 4, No More Heroes, Dark Souls, etc).

I'm not big on original hardware though. Although playing GameCube and Wii on my modded Wii U is nice, it's so much more enjoyable in native 1080p - 2160p on PC running Dolphin. And having games on Switch means having HD portable all-in-one versions. So it kind of feels like the ultimate version for every game that graces the system.

JoyBoy

Would anyone mind to explain in detail how the online part works in this game?

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Dezzy

Spanjard wrote:

Would anyone mind to explain in detail how the online part works in this game?

It's interwoven into the main game. You see other people's ghosts moving around the world at the same time as you but can't interact with them.
You can leave messages for each other on the floor and you can invade other people's game in order to fight them.
There are also things called "convenants" which are kind of multiplayer sidequests you can do with or against other people.

The best part of the multiplayer was the fact that in the earlier years of the game, a lot of the secrets weren't yet found so you relied on other people leaving messages around in order to figure some things out. Like there's a very strong sword you can get early on that you'd never find without someone pointing it out.
There are also 3 different areas that are hidden and completely optional that a lot of people will completely miss without someone pointing out how to find them.
Obviously as the online community grew, everyone became aware of all of these secrets over time anyway. But if you're going into the game blind, some hints are definitely helpful.

Edited on by Dezzy

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy So is the 360 version of Dark Souls unplayable if you don't have Xbox Live Gold then? I could see Nintendo's paid online service causing trouble for Dark Souls Remastered if that's the case.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

-Green-

They could just do what Bloodborne did, and give the option.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Dezzy

@Grumblevolcano

No it works fine with no online component. You just can't fight other players and you don't get the messages.
They do include some regular AI opponents at some parts of the game to make it seem similar for offline players.

I only played 1 of the Soulsborne series with the online component running. The rest I just played offline. It's just fine without it.

Edited on by Dezzy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic