Forums

Topic: Civilization VI

Posts 381 to 400 of 409

edhe

I'm still struggling a bit in my game - I've now met every leader, and they all have so many more cities than me. Meanwhile, in my last session, I settled an additional city in Australia. I've gained the upper hand in the religious cold war between me and the Inca (I've got my first debater apostle, and I've also been utilising support and flanking bonuses to defeat a lot of the apostles the Inca are sending my way.

We also discovered the ancient secret to building walls in the year 1450AD. I'm not in any danger of invasion, but they could prove handy one day.

Nethertheless, I might start a new game - although I'd like to finish this off eventually, I was hobbled in the early game to such a dregree that victory seems impossible. What's more, with my cities all being on the coast, my precious little land is going to be underwater soon - at least before I gain access to flood barriers.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

Ruthless4u

Any tips for a beginner?

I’ve played other Civs in the past ( 2, 5, and ugh revolution) but no experience with Civ 6.

Just have the vanilla version currently

Ruthless4u

edhe

@Ruthless4u

If you want to succeed, you'll need to be mindful of your city layouts, and in some cases, plan ahead. Certain districts provide adjacency bonuses, and when you throw wonders into the mix, you can achieve obscene levels of production, science or wealth.
Districts can house buildings , some of which can affect cities within a certain radius that offer various bonuses - for example, a power plant can provide 'electricity' (production boost) to cities within 6 tiles.

I think, having played other civs, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting to grips with it though. Are you having trouble with anything in particular?

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

Mountain_Man

Ruthless4u wrote:

Any tips for a beginner?

I’ve played other Civs in the past ( 2, 5, and ugh revolution) but no experience with Civ 6.

Just have the vanilla version currently

Why do you say "ugh revolution"? I thought Civilization Revolution was a great adaptation. It wasn't as broad and deep as the full game on PC, but it did a fantastic job of distilling the Civilization experience down to something that could run on consoles at the time. I loved the Nintendo DS version and played it for many hours.

The Mountain Man

Ruthless4u

@edhe

Not actually had time to start, every time something comes up lol.

@mountain_man Civ 2 on the PlayStation proved that they could of done much more with the game on console that the cut down version that revolution ended up being.

Ruthless4u

toiletduck

This weird bug happened to me yesterday. I noticed that I had a lot of housing issues, even though I had the policy +2 housing for 3 specialty districts (or something like that) applied. I had a few cities with enough specialty districts, but the housing bonus didn't get applied. I took a while before I figured this out though; hadn't played for a while. After I changed the policy card from economic to wildcard, the housing bonus got applied. Anyone else noticed this? Are there any other bugs like this I should be aware of?

Something else I noticed: if I recall correctly, the Holy site upgrades used show housing +1 in the production selection menu (if you have the correct belief applied for your religion of course). When I'm playing now, it doesn't show housing +1 anymore, but after producing the district upgrade extra housing is still added to the total in the background. Familiar to anyone? It's not a big deal, just a slight inconvenience.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Heavyarms55

@toiletduck Are you sure it is a bug? Several things were changed in the DLC for balance reasons. Perhaps that was changed.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

toiletduck

@Heavyarms55 it definitely should be a bug. I don't even have the DLC, although I have noticed some other (QoL-)updates so that doesn't rule it out per se.

The policy card got applied in 'economics' slot --> didn't work. Than I applied it to the 'wildcard' slot --> did work. If this is something they did on purpose, it's very confusing

toiletduck

Heavyarms55

@toiletduck From what you are saying, it certainly sounds like a bug.

nessisonett

@Ruthless4u Just remember the number one rule of Civ. If in doubt, nuke Gandhi first.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Heavyarms55

I love this game, I adore my Switch, but on Switch, since we got the DLC, I can't finish a game. I get repeated crashes in the late game and extreme lag. It'll be fine for the first like, 85-90% of a big long campaign, and by the time I'm launching my moon landing, it's nasty with a crash almost every 15 turns. But after I launched the Mars colony mission, it's like 1994, and I can't go 2 turns. And each turn is so laggy and bogged down that it takes like 10 minutes each...

Why is the large map size even in the game, is Switch can't run it? Or would this be happening regardless of map size? I don't feel like spending the time to test it.

SKTTR

I thought they fixed this?
Well, the game wasn't as great as I hoped it would be.
I only played it twice and was crushed twice by the CPU.
I like the classic ones better.

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

Heavyarms55

@SKTTR I still love the game. After I gave up on my Switch playthrough, I went back to PC and did a run as Scottland. Got the science victory. But even on PC the end game did start having issues. No crashes but turns started taking longer and longer. It must just be that on huge maps you end up with so many units and upgrades and stuff that it slows everything down.

I don't like the classics better, but I do miss some of the things we had in older titles, like being able to build roads where ever I liked without needing traders. And I liked the importance they had in Civ 3, where cities lost access to certain resources is the road or water route to that resource was cut off. I also prefer how cities rebelled and directly joined your civ, instead of becoming barbarians first, always. In my playthrough I had a my ally's city revolt because of loyalty pressure from me, but instead of joining me, it went to a free city/barbarian city and the units it spawned attacked me, even though they revolted from my ally due to pressure from me.

toiletduck

I noticed an update was installed. Anyone knows the contents? Or maybe just to advertise the new DLC?

toiletduck

Mordridakon

I have. no joke, been playing Civ 6 non-stop for weeks. I need help.
I can do a cultural victory, science victory, diplomacy victory and a religious victory. But for whatever reason, I can't get up and running for a domination victory. Everyone tells you to start war early, but war machines take gold, production and science, and it isn't until at least the late classical and even medieval until you unlock everything to have a production machine, arguably way too late to get started. So how do you quickly build up a war machine that doesn't leave you bankrupt or falling behind in other areas?
Any tips? Any particular leaders to use for domination?

Mordridakon

Remolution

What’s the best DLC to pick up? I think they’re on sale, too.

Remolution

Justifier

@Remolution
Expansion Bundle adds so much for the game it's insane.

"Wake me... when you need me."

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

Mordridakon

@Remolution Everything
The bundle adds both expansions(Rise and Fall and Gathering Storms). The New Frontier pass is arguably worth it for secret societies mode, which I have on every game.

Mordridakon

toiletduck

@Remolution thanks for the heads-up. I've been eyeing this.

Even though I've played quite a few games now, I'm still playing very casually and usually there's months between every 2 or 3 games. I have my hands full managing everything that's going on, especially early game.

Any thoughts whether the DLC may be too overwhelming? Also @Justifier @Mordridakon ?

toiletduck

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic