Forums

Topic: Civilization VI

Posts 361 to 380 of 409

toiletduck

@Eagle9 if you're really new to the game there's multiple ways to win 'by accident':

• max number of turns are played (500 I believe)
  • you've reached science goals
  • you've reached tourism goals
  • etc.

Once you've played a few rounds and you've become more familiar with the winning criteria, it probably won't happen anymore.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Eagle9

Thanks. Clearly i didn't understand everything, watched videos from youtube. Still i'm just as interested in the game as before played any, so that's a good point to continue.

E: My first victory where i knew all along what was doing, clearly watching those videos helped. I bought also that DLC expansion, which have not played obviously as of yet. ^^

Edited on by Eagle9

It all started from Game&Watch.

3DS Friend Code 5455 9594 9430.
Switch Friend Code 7313-1538-3028.

Mordridakon

I am pissed! I am playing Saladin and close to a science victory, but the game crashes at turn 480 every time I load up. I can go back a few turns and play forward, and it crashes at exact same turn. I think I'm supposed to win at that turn, but it crashes instead, denying me my victory
I hope they churn out a bug fix patch soon, the bugginess of the game with the expansions is really disappointing.

Edited on by Mordridakon

Mordridakon

Ruthless4u

Concerned about buying the DLC give. The bugs, how is the vanilla version?

Ruthless4u

AndyD

Ruthless4u wrote:

Concerned about buying the DLC give. The bugs, how is the vanilla version?

I’ve not had any trouble and I’ve played all the way through several times with the expansions.

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Eagle9

So AI was making a suprise war against me, next thing was what i didn't understand was that they made peace too. I thought that needed my permission too. Can someone explain what just happened.

E: No any jokes thanks. I'm a noob to the series.

Edited on by Eagle9

Eagle9

Have to just take advantage in that on the future then.

Justifier

@Eagle9
I don't know what happened in your game, but AI need your permission for peace.

"Wake me... when you need me."

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

aresius

i was taking some info about the game, is true the AI is terrible at diplomacy/trading and always declare war without reason even after praise you the turn before and does not use air and ship units at all or just once in a while . does they improve something in the switch version or after the last expansion ?

aresius

Ruthless4u

Just bought this ( for me and my son to play) now got to wait till Christmas to play it.

Ruthless4u

edhe

I'm halfway through my first game since buying the expansions, although victory could be imminent as it keeps giving me notifications I'm winning culturally, but usually, the counter disappears after I reach 2 turns to win.
I started, occupying a continent with China, and, after repelling an invasion, I later declared war on them and took their two biggest cities after great effort.
I picked up a great admiral that allowed me to send a ship across the ocean where I met the two other opponents - England and Poland (who seem to be in just about every game I play). I settled the tip of the new continent, and cosied up to England, and would eventually send a few troops across the sea to join the new colony.

I seemed to make a mistake in settling another city, closer to Poland as a staging ground, because it seems it is never going to stay loyal. I ramped up my local forces with submarines, two battleships and more cavalry, which seems to be enough to flip the city back in a single turn, but I've identified that Poland is applying too much pressure on my city, so the only thing that can be done is to push back Poland.
Their city defences don't seem to pose too much threat to my units, inflicting up to 10 points of damage, and a single artillery shot can destroy their walls, but my original city still suffers a -20 loyalty penalty from "pressure from nearby citizens" despite razing the two closest cities and taking the third.

From what I can gather, I may need to strengthen my loyalty output in a nearby city, and maybe place another one nearby. The city is rebelling every 5 turns.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

toiletduck

@edhe always fun to read someone's endeavors! Keep us posted on how it ends/ended.

toiletduck

edhe

@toiletduck
I ended up winning a culture victory as expected, and, fortunately, I didn't trigger the system crash, possibly due to being at war with Poland at the time.

I started a new game on a true start world map with more AI, more city states, with the marathon speed setting. Unfortunately, the computer wanted me to be the Mapuche, and my starting location was pinned between the Pacific Ocean and the Andes.
It took me about 5-10 turns to move south to a more expansive area - a bit close to Buenos Aires for my liking, and a barbarian camp too, for that matter. The Inca were my immediate neighbours, and they didn't seem to have any issue with their starting placement, as they were easily able to settle multiple cities.

By the time I was able to settle my 2nd city (a spot east of Buenos Aires that was chosen for the fishing boats production boost of my own pantheon) the Inca had 3, maybe 4 cities. The Canadians somehow managed to get a scout down to meet me, and, less surprisingly, the Polynesians were also exploring my area. They even tried to settle a city just to the east of me, and I saw my chance and nabbed it when it flipped to free-city status from the Incan pressure. It took a bit of effort, but I was able to stablilise the loyalty so it wouldn't flip to the Incans, but it required a few supressions (thankfully, I had two Galleys parked outside the city that were able to do some good damage). Also, making myself the suzerain of Buenos Aires (with the help of that governer) gave me a few much needed amenities by converting fish from a bonus resource to a luxury.

At the moment, I have four cities - an additional one in the narrow passage between the Andes and the Pacific, close to where I spawned, although maybe out of range of the Glapagos islands. The Incans have blocked me in, and although I'm not in danger of invasion, I'm aiming for Civil Service so I can set up a cultural alliance with them which can negate their loyalty pressure towards me, and could allow me to settle cities on their other side, and not immediately lose them to rebellion.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

toiletduck

@edhe That's nice! I always have a hard time coming back from a bad start... once I'm behind in de start, the gap only seems to become bigger and bigger. That makes the first ~15 turns always quite stressful for me

toiletduck

edhe

@toiletduck

I was comfortably ahead in science in the last game, but when it comes to Epic or Marathon games, I tend to lose my edge (on Prince difficulty, at least). But I'm more inclined to play a longer game because it gives you more time to use your unique units before they're obsolete.

Something I didn't mention was that I have not popped a single goodie hut this game - the Inca probably got all of them. Might be interesting to play as the Inca's best buddy/lackey because unless I can find some prime land, I'm not likely to win this one.

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

edhe

I did another session recently, but I don't think I fancy my chances at all. I'm currently the second lowest scoring civilization, and the Inca, my neighbour, are steaming ahead. Here's a snapshot of the land I've had to work with:
Untitled
As I described in the previous post, I had to migrate south to more expansive land (I can't recall if I was blocked from moving north by a barbarian camp, but in hindsight, I should have tried that), so already, I lost a few turns. The Inca, conversely, had all the space in the world, and no doubt, a few tribal villages to boost their starting situation.
This left me with increasingly little space to work with, and so when it came to settling new cities, I'd spend far too long suppressing the rebellions, and my fledgling settlements would be effectively dead weight until I could stabilise the loyalty.
I had managed to create my own pantheon, and I prioritised fishing boat production yields, which allowed me to get some precious production in my cities. I also managed to upgrade it to a religion, which I named after the nearby Galapagos islands which I intended to settle asap for the science boost.

Eventually, I was able to research civil service which allowed me to enter into a cultural alliance with the Inca - preventing my cities from receiving loyalty pressure from the Inca's massive cities. This solved one of my biggest problems, before another, more annoying one presented itself.
The Inca seemed to be quite keen on wiping my religion of the face of the earth, and they actually managed it, giving me no recourse but to load a save from a few turns back in the hope that I could save it.
The problem with religion is that when a civ converts your city, any religious unit you try to produce there will be of the new religion.
Before I reloaded, I realised I had produced a missionary with the Incan religion, and instead of tilting the balance towards my religion, I was puring more Hinduism into my city and dooming my own religion. Once all of your cities are flipped to a foreign religion, I'm not sure there's a way back.

The Inca were sending a stonehenge apostle to my holy city, but fortunately, the placement of a holy site presented an effective defence:
Untitled
The Incan apostle, when passing my holy site would attack the missionary placed inside. With some tactical healing/swapping I was able to defeat the apostle (missionaries can only defend), and produce a burst of religious pressure to nearby cities, which was certainly welcome.
Unfortunately, the Inca got wise to this, and instead of killing their apostles on my mercenaries (not to mention their apostles were getting increasingly strong, necessitating more missionaries in rotation.

At one point, I noticed the Inca had three apostles wandering around the holy site, and that's when I knew I had to act. I had planned to migrate for a while (I just needed to research navigation to allow me to cross the ocean), and so I took two of my missionaries the hell out of there along with a settler, galley (I'm a third of the way through the game, and I haven't been able to spare the money or production to upgrade a single unit!) and scout to find Australia - hopefully, the Maori (I called them the Polynesians in a previous post) hadn't taken it from me.

The Exodus begins
A prime landing location (although there were a few barbarians around the place - I decided to send for an archer and quadrireme. I was able to comfortably settle northeast of the galley in the picture, across the river from the cavlary archer.
Send in the turtles - I embarked my two missionaries to my new settlement, safe in the knowledge that, unless the Maori start to get on my case, there'll still be a place for my religion, should my holy city fall. Then again, after several turns, my fears may have been unfounded because with the missionaries almost across the Pacific, the Inca hadn't completely wiped out my religion - they attacked a Canadian apostle, and they may have been managing their own cities, as my religious victories allowed me to knock away their majority from a nearby city. My holy city fluctuates between a net gain and a net loss in regards to my own religion, but a few of my other ones are in net gain, so unless the Inca start getting really aggressive, I should be able to maintain my own religion at least.

It does appear though that I currently have the whole continent of Australia available and if I play well, I could secure it all - there's some real prime locations compared to what I have in South America. I'm really lucky in this regard - the Maori started not far north and they seemed to ignore it. They apparently prioritised a barren arctic island off South Georgia to anywhere in Australia.
Untitled

Edited on by edhe

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Heavyarms55

So is there any more info on those bugs caused by the DLC? I got the DLC but haven't had time to play it yet.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Heavyarms55

@scubydo With the DLC? Glad to hear it!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx