Forums

Topic: Civilization VI

Posts 281 to 300 of 409

maclifer

Hi all. I feel stupid asking, but for a rank Civilization player, what's the best way to get my head around it?

I've tried playing the tutorial twice but ended up confused and unsure how to proceed. Is just diving in the best way? What happens if I don't know what to do next; will the game offer suggestions?

Apologies for the general nature of my questions as I'm overwhelmed but really want to get into Civ. Thanks!

maclifer

JasmineDragon

@maclifer I would just start a game on the lowest difficulty, tiny world, any civ. The advisors will chime in with every new event, walking you through the whole process of playing the game and developing a strategy. It's a big game with a lot of systems to learn, but it does a great job teaching you how to play it.

How to win it is a whole different story....

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Heavyarms55

@maclifer @JasmineDragon has a good point, the advisers give you a lot of good hints early on but I don't encourage you to do the lowest difficulty. If you do the AI players will basically never attack you and you wont be able to learn to deal with that. The game defaults to Prince, but I encourage you to try the level just below that. Don't worry about winning, just experiment, try things see how they work out. Go into the game treating it as a test match, so if you get wrecked, it doesn't matter.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

JasmineDragon

@Heavyarms55 @maclifer Good point about the difficulty. I agree, you will learn more playing on Chieftain.

Also, activate tooltips and use the Civilopedia! The Pedia will not only teach you about game concepts, but will teach you a fair amount of actual history. I have a friend who used to swear that he got through high school history papers using it as a reference.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Heavyarms55

@JasmineDragon Lol, yeah there is a good bit of interesting and historically accurate info alongside the gameplay stuff.

edhe

I'm getting pretty impatient waiting for information, anything regarding the expansions on the Switch.

It's beginning to look like a bad omen, that reddit post being edited to remove references to the Switch. I hear the state of the game on iOS is a clusterf#%@ as well, so they're probably concentrating on that, if anything.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

backup368

I have this game, but it's been a while since i last played it. Any change on battery usage? Because I recall it is one of the most demanding games on Switch.

backup368

Switch Friend Code: SW-3852-6842-9110

Justifier

@backup368
There has been no updates. I have been playing pc version lately, while waiting expansions for switch.

"Wake me... when you need me."

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

MSTRDM

@backup368 I don’t see this back though. Travelling often to my parents (2,5h train ride) ending up with some battery left.

MSTRDM

Heavyarms55

@backup368 It does seem to go through battery quite fast when compared to less demanding indie games. But nothing super over the top. It is comparable to BOTW. I've put nearly 100 hours in the Switch version, about 1/3 of which has been portable.

Arsenal1

Own this game,my instinct told me to buy this,it’s the first few switch games I own.I spent a few hours already,but totally don’t understand the game.Whats actually the fun?

Name:TX Location:MALAYSIA

Favorite Game:Fifa series

Subscriptions:Amazon Prime,PSN

Heavyarms55

@Arsenal1 The fun is building your empire and going for one of the many win conditions in whatever manner you see fit. You can conquer your neighbors or spread your religion, you can push of science or win through your dominant culture. You can be a loyal ally or stab your allies in the back. And you can mix and match too. You can go to war for a while then shift gears and go for science, or you can abandon your peaceful ways and nuke your neighbors into a steaming pile of ash.

MSTRDM

@Heavyarms55 you should become a salesman, I get the urge to buy the game even though I already have it.

MSTRDM

Grumblevolcano

Cross-save between Switch and Steam exists now:

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Heavyarms55

Hey, has anyone else ever noticed how this game seems to take longer to close on Switch than most other software? Nothing major or a problem, but definitely noticeably longer.

@MSTRDM lol, thanks!

@Grumblevolcano I was wondering what that update did. Very cool!

Heavyarms55

Okay, I have found a GAME BREAKING bug in this game. Twice now I have had it happen and I think I have figured out what is happening. When an AI civ declares war on the same turn another civ proposes an alliance, and you accept, it breaks.

What happened to me, in two different games now, is, my "ally" was at war with me, but they were still my ally. The diplomacy options still treated them as an ally while their army raped and pillaged my territory. My army could not fight back, the game would not let me target their units because it was treating them as allied even while they killed my units and pillaged my land.

While this doesn't technically prevent the game from functioning, I would argue it is still game breaking in the sense of making it almost totally unplayable!

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there some way I can contact the publisher and report this issue?

I love Civ 6 and this only seems to happen under the very specific circumstance of having one civ declare war on you while another one proposes an alliance and you agree to it all on the same turn. So it has only happened twice in more than a dozen games but... When it happens, 4 hours into a game, it's kinda soul crushing, especially if you didn't think to make several save slots of previous eras to go back to...

I also do not know if this bug exists in the PC version of the game, though I have it and have played it a lot too, I cannot test it because the odds of one civ asking to be an ally on the same turn another civ declares war are actually quite low. It could be that this bug does exist in that version and I simply never triggered it.

[update] A quick Google search has shown me that other people have run into this in the PC version too, as far back as 2 years. How has this not be fixed?!

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Justifier

That happened to me, but when it happened I could destroy AI's units, but he could not attack my units/cities. He just wanted to trade, when I had his cities under siege.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0456-5973-9496 | 3DS Friend Code: 0533-4480-5285 | Nintendo Network ID: Justifier

Heavyarms55

@Justifier Lucky you! Sucks to be on the receiving end!

Justifier

@Heavyarms55
Hope they patch it.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic