Forums

Topic: Civilization VI

Posts 141 to 160 of 409

Mountain_Man

Freelance wrote:

It's kinda funny seeing all these positive reviews when at launch PC gamers were crying foul for weeks/months/whatever

To be fair, we are getting the game with the benefit of two-years of patches and bug fixes. Plus, a lot of the early criticism leveled at Civ6 was of the "It's different, so it sucks" variety, which is what people said about 5 when it was first released, but now it's considered one of the best games in the franchise. Personally, I think 6 is vastly better than 5, and it's also the most complete "vanilla" Civilization experience to date. Previous iterations made us wait for expansions to get many of the features that are in Civ6 by default.

Edited on by Mountain_Man

The Mountain Man

Taya

I have had my game crash a couple times. It gives a message that says something like "an error has occurred and the software must close". It's not a huge deal as the game autosaves and it forces me to finally stop playing and go to bed, but it's annoying. Anyone else experience this?

Today at work I'm going to write up a cheat sheet with stuff to remember. Build industrial zones next to mines/hills, build campuses next to mountains(?) and so on. Just something to quickly reference.

Taya

BrainOfGrimlock

Mountain_Man wrote:

Freelance wrote:

It's kinda funny seeing all these positive reviews when at launch PC gamers were crying foul for weeks/months/whatever

To be fair, we are getting the game with the benefit of two-years of patches and bug fixes. Plus, a lot of the early criticism leveled at Civ6 was of the "It's different, so it sucks" variety, which is what people said about 5 when it was first released, but now it's considered one of the best games in the franchise. Personally, I think 6 is vastly better than 5, and it's also the most complete "vanilla" Civilization experience to date. Previous iterations made us wait for patches to get many of the features that are in Civ6 by default.

Bang on. It took me a long long time to move from 4 across to 5 but it wore me down over time & I do much prefer it now (especially as Shaka doesn’t appear next to my capital with 40-odd military units on a single tile!). Same with 6; base game was good (although AI was dodgy), but patches & then Rise & Fall mean I haven’t touched 5 now in a good while.

It’s almost Nintendo-esque really how they’ve kept the franchise going for so long, kept it largely the same, but also kept it fresh?

Edited on by BrainOfGrimlock

BrainOfGrimlock

Mountain_Man

BrainOfGrimlock wrote:

...(especially as Shaka doesn’t appear next to my capital with 40-odd military units on a single tile!).

Stacks of Doom were the worst! They were almost impossible to counter in any meaningful way because you couldn't choose which unit attacked which, and the game logic would automatically select the "best" unit. I greatly prefer one-unit-per-tile. It makes for a much more strategic and aesthetically pleasing experience.

The Mountain Man

edhe

I ordered it today, and then they go and announce an expansion for the PC version - Gathering Storms. It introduces climate and related disasters, re-introduces the World Congress, along with new era, civs and leaders.

Are we very unlikely to see any of the expansions for the switch edition?

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

Toy_Link

If there’s a demo of CIV VI, it won’t come for a few months, where it can only help sales.

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

Mordridakon

@edhe That depends on how well it sells. If it sells well, expect expansions, if not, don't.

With that said, I'm ok with the version we have, even if it never gets expansions, it'll still be great game.

Edited on by Mordridakon

Mordridakon

Mountain_Man

I would love to see the expansions come to the Switch, and I was a bit bummed that Rise and Fall wasn't included on the cartridge. Let's hope the game sells well enough to entice Aspyr to port the expansions.

The Mountain Man

Fowlersrs

You would like to hope there are plans to support the switch with expansions providing it can cope. Nothing worse than when a game is released on switch and left to sink..

Fowlersrs

Freelance

@Mordridakon Except Civ games are -always- better with expansions, so hopefully you will actually get to play some of them.

Freelance

Grumblevolcano

I see PC is getting the 2nd expansion in February. DLC is the big point where you see whether a platform is being treated seriously. Plenty of times in the past, 3rd party games on Nintendo platforms have been shafted and that was made very clear through DLC coming to everything but the Nintendo platform. It'll be interesting to see what happens for Switch here.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Mordridakon

Freelance wrote:

@Mordridakon Except Civ games are -always- better with expansions, so hopefully you will actually get to play some of them.

True. But that will only happen if people buy the game.

Mordridakon

Mountain_Man

Freelance wrote:

That was very true for Civ 5 which was a fairly dry experience until the second expansion, and Civ 4: Beyond the Sword practically reinvented the game (Warlords, on the other hand, was entirely forgettable). Civ 6 vanilla is a different animal, however, being arguably the most complete Civ release to date. The expansions, in this case, feel more like additional content rather than essential content.

The Mountain Man

Mountain_Man

My first game has turned out to be very interesting. I'm playing Japan and decided to go for a religious victory (although Spain is better suited for that strategy because of certain bonuses). My starting location happened to be on a large peninsula with plenty of room to expand and a narrow, easily defended choke point to the south which has allowed me to peacefully expand without pissing off any other civilizations. This has been good for my diplomatic relations because everybody likes me. I've so far converted three of five rival nations to my religion leaving two more to win.

That's the nice thing about the Civilization series: every game plays out differently. A word on performance, I'm around turn 250, so almost exactly the mid-point of the game with a large chunk of the map uncovered, and the game continues to run great with reasonably short turn times. I'm not sure what Aspyr did for the Switch port, but it runs much smoother than it does on the PC (at least the Linux and OSX versions). Assuming the AI logic is identical to the PC version, Aspyr did a hell of a job optimizing Civ6 for the Switch.

The Mountain Man

BrainOfGrimlock

@Mountain_Man that’s pretty reassuring on the performance front!

Come on though, let us in on it - what did you call your religion?

BrainOfGrimlock

Mountain_Man

BrainOfGrimlock wrote:

@Mountain_Man that’s pretty reassuring on the performance front!

Come on though, let us in on it - what did you call your religion?

I went with the default name of Protestantism.

The Mountain Man

BrainOfGrimlock

Ah. Maybe it’s just me who’s a ridiculous man-child that rushes to found a religion purely to name it something that amuses - in all likelihood - only myself!?

Glad it’s going well in any case, actually interesting to know who all you new players are playing as? The different civs can make a huge difference if you leverage their strengths!

BrainOfGrimlock

MattFox

I can`t wait to see how I fare( I usually completely ignore religions in games. I`ll be a monkeys uncle before I use taxpayer`s money to build worship places for corrupt institutions ).

MattFox

Switch Friend Code: SW-5186-9440-8712 | My Nintendo: MattFox | Twitter:

JaxonH

@MattFox
Well, it's your civilization. It's only corrupt if you choose to be corrupt 😁

Speaking of which, is corruption a gameplay mechanic in Civ? Or is that more dictated by your choices such as, not keeping a promise you vowed?

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Quarth

Got it yesterday. Only had a short time to play and didn’t really understand what I was doing. All you others who are new to Civ, is the ingame tutorial enough or did you use guides on the internet?

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic