Forums

Topic: Civilization VI

Posts 101 to 120 of 409

toiletduck

@SuperJoon Cool! I'm looking forward to it. I'm especially interested in late game performance and ease of use of input methods. Both for handheld as well as docked. For what it's worth

edit: when I check your website I can't click the most prominent banners in the reviews section. Maybe a bug? I'm using Chrome on Windows 10 right now.

Edited on by toiletduck

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

SuperJoon

toiletduck wrote:

@SuperJoon Cool! I'm looking forward to it. I'm especially interested in late game performance and ease of use of input methods. Both for handheld as well as docked. For what it's worth

edit: when I check your website I can't click the most prominent banners in the reviews section. Maybe a bug? I'm using Chrome on Windows 10 right now.

Those are already on my items of things to look for. Looking forward to playing it, always a series I wanted to play but never had a pc powerful enough to do so 😂

Which banners in the review section? I'll get it passed over to the guys who sort the website. 😁

PSN: SuperJoon84 | Xbox GT: SuperJoon

Nintendo Network ID: Superjoon | Twitter:

toiletduck

SuperJoon wrote:

Which banners in the review section? I'll get it passed over to the guys who sort the website. 😁

The 5 under 'Latest in: reviews', with the LEGO one in the middle.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

SuperJoon

toiletduck wrote:

SuperJoon wrote:

The 5 under 'Latest in: reviews', with the LEGO one in the middle.

Ah yes, thanks for that ill get this looked at. See what can be done to fix

PSN: SuperJoon84 | Xbox GT: SuperJoon

Nintendo Network ID: Superjoon | Twitter:

JasmineDragon

gcunit wrote:

I usually try and avoid pedantry, but I don't see why it should go without saying that it's only a 'console exclusive' and not a full exclusive.

Either a game is exclusive to one piece of hardware or it isn't. The mobile and PC markets are massive, so I don't really see 'console exclusive' as much to shout about for anyone other than legit console war fanboys.

Promising early review though, no doubt.

Generally I agree with that, but the big deal here is there hasn't been a real Civ game on consoles since PS2, and to be perfectly honest the console experience was never great. Consoles just weren't really ready for a true 4X game of this size.

Which is why they streamlined the hell out of Civ to make Civ Revolutions for XBox and DS, and ended up with a game that might have been okay (I personally didn't dig it) but was definitely not the full Civ experience. They had to do that just to make a playable game.

Now, on Switch, it seems they think there is finally a console hybrid that is actually suited to the full Civilization. I think it's a combination of having a touchscreen and being portable so you can "one more turn" in bed or on your lunch break. It's Firaxis and 2K acknowledging that the Switch actually does have strengths and is not just an underpowered console. It's a validation of Nintendo's vision for the Switch. And even though I generally loathe the console wars, it's nice to hear someone say "you know what, this concept has some benefits" after a year and a half of fanboys screaming "UNDERPOWERED! UNDERPOWERED!!" every time the Switch gets a new port (or, even worse, doesn't get a port because, well, it's not powerful enough for that game).

And now for something completely different. It really kind of bites that there is no multiplayer at all. I don't play online at all, like I said before, but my introduction to Civ was actually a hotseat game of Civ 1. It was a lot of fun, even if it's not something you're going to play every day. It would have been great to see that implemented on the Switch, which is absolutely perfect for the hotseat style, and I don't see why any reason for its exclusion.

It's not going to change my mind about buying the game, as long as the reviews of the actual gameplay are positive I WILL buy this, and soon. But it's a feature I really would have liked to see. Maybe it will be implemented in an update down the road sometime. I take it for granted that they have DLC planned for the game, that's kind of how Civ has worked since Civ 3 at least. So hopefully there will be updates and patches along with the DLC.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Mountain_Man

I've never played Civ multiplayer, so it's exclusion doesn't bother me, but I would be curious to know the devleoper's reasoning.

The Mountain Man

JasmineDragon

@Mountain_Man Me, too. It's such a baffling decision. How much work could it be to include multiplayer? The game already works on a turn-based structure, and multiplayer was already in the original game.

Mountain_Man

Bought it today, and I've played maybe a couple of hours. I rate it an excellent port so far. It appears to be the full game, feature for feature identical to the PC version. No corners cut that I've seen.

It controls very well with the JoyCons, too. Navigating menus isn't quite as fluid as it is on PC, but I can't imagine how it could have been done better. Plus it can be controlled entirely with the touchscreen, which I think is a first for the Switch since most developers seem to forget it even has one. The UI is generally large enough to be easily readable in handheld mode, though I wish it were a little more consistent because some text can be quite small.

I'm still in the early game and haven't uncovered a lot of the map, but oerformance so far is very good, and it looks gorgeous. AI turns take longer than they do on PC, but this is because of the Switch's weaker CPU compared to the PC.

I hope this sells well enough for them to release expansions in the future.

Edited on by Mountain_Man

The Mountain Man

Mountain_Man

JasmineDragon wrote:

@Mountain_Man Me, too. It's such a baffling decision. How much work could it be to include multiplayer? The game already works on a turn-based structure, and multiplayer was already in the original game.

To clarify, it supports multi-system multiplayer. There's just no internet or "hot-seat" play.

The Mountain Man

JaxonH

Been going through the tutorial again- it's been a while since I've played. Looks great on Switch, and text is big enough in handheld mode which is great.

Wanted to play more but... Pokemon unexpectedly sunk its teeth into me, as the game was significantly more addictive than I was expecting. Will probably fire it back up here shortly, since it's a slow day at work.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@gcunit
I'd say it is that good of a game. Besides which, you have to consider the impact of said features. When the features are massively popular, it's a much bigger deal than when they're extremely niche features all but the most avid fans would use, and even then not much. Civ is a single player game, and always has been. Furthermore, it's a bigger deal when there are other versions in the same market (in this case, the console market) that offer said features. But that's also not the case, since Civilization VI is not on any other console or handheld. Then there's the fact the full fat Civ series hasn't been on consoles in decades, so this particular release brings a lot to the table for gamers.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JasmineDragon

@Mountain_Man Ah, the old "buy two copies to play this game multiplayer". I find that quite irksome. You literally have to wait for the other player to finish their move anyway, so there is no reason it couldn't have been hotseat.

I should stop thinking about this. I still want the game. I've been waiting so long for a true 4X game on the Switch, and this is one of my all-time favorite franchises. I can't let a litle thing like this poison my feelings for the game.

StuTwo

toiletduck wrote:

@Mountain_Man there will be an option to save in between turns right?

It's likely but when you save it'll tell you how many hours you've been playing...

I love Civ (especially 4 with the amazing Fall From Heaven 2 mod installed) but having it on a handheld is basically one step up from jumping off a cliff. There are some rabbit holes that just go far too deep. So I'm out of this one*.

*see also Pokemon.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Mountain_Man

The developers know how addictive these games are. That's why Civ has had an on-screen clock since at least Civ 4. It even made its way into the Switch port.

The Mountain Man

Mountain_Man

JasmineDragon wrote:

@Mountain_Man Ah, the old "buy two copies to play this game multiplayer". I find that quite irksome. You literally have to wait for the other player to finish their move anyway, so there is no reason it couldn't have been hotseat.

I should stop thinking about this. I still want the game. I've been waiting so long for a true 4X game on the Switch, and this is one of my all-time favorite franchises. I can't let a litle thing like this poison my feelings for the game.

I agree that hot-seat multiplayer would be an obvious feature for the Switch given the turn-based gameplay and that there are no hidden moves in Civ.

The Mountain Man

Rich10

I've been playing this only for a few hours and, whilst I have noticed a couple of odd things (example: music stopping abruptly when in dialogue with a civ, and no obvious way to turn the grid off on the map display; both real minors), I have to say that once you adapt to the controls, it's a very nice port indeed. The initial loading of a saved/new game is the longest wait I've had so far.

I plan to try out smaller maps, for that faster gameplay style, so you're meeting/trading/fighting with other civs sooner, as I think this would suit the Switch better than huge maps with 15 civs on it.

I accept that the missing multiplayer is an issue for others, but it doesn't affect how I play it - on this: I've seen people mention this on metacritic as a reason for giving it a low score...when we knew this before it was released, so I'd question their intellect if they don't read up on a £45 game's festure list before they spend their money on it.

Edited on by Rich10

Friend code: SW-2475-9405-1512

JaxonH

Ya, I honestly don't know anyone who would want to play a game of Civ with me (nor would I even want to). Better luck asking my mother to play a game of chess with me through the mail.

This is for single player. A nice, exceptionally girthy, complex single player game to sink into like Monster Hunter and Dark Souls. High learning curve (and for that reason it's incredibly obtuse for MP), but well worth the investment if you're willing to make the investment.

Just bought the 2 DLC packs on the eShop. I'll buy whatever else they wanna sell, too. I don't care. I'll take it all. Every last pack.

Mordridakon

I caved and bought it. Its wonderfully done and I'll sink many, many hours into this. This kicks the Civ Revolution games in the teeth(which were so easy it was boring).
Also, Its so nice to finally have PC-strategy games on handheld.
Next up, either Endless Legend or Galactic Civ III on switch please ^-^

Mordridakon

Mountain_Man

JaxonH wrote:

Ya, I honestly don't know anyone who would want to play a game of Civ with me (nor would I even want to). Better luck asking my mother to play a game of chess with me through the mail.

This is for single player. A nice, exceptionally girthy, complex single player game to sink into like Monster Hunter and Dark Souls. High learning curve (and for that reason it's incredibly obtuse for MP), but well worth the investment if you're willing to make the investment.

Just bought the 2 DLC packs on the eShop. I'll buy whatever else they wanna sell, too. I don't care. I'll take it all. Every last pack.

This is game that takes many hours to complete a single match, so I can't imagine trying to coordinate a multiplayer game, especially online where people are prone to bail as soon as they they hit their first significant set-back.

As for DLC, unless you really want to play the civilizations being offered at the moment, I don't see the point when the vanilla game has well over a dozen to choose from. I would, however, be willing to buy the Rise and Fall expansion if they were to release it since that includes significant gameplay content.

The Mountain Man

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic