Forums

Topic: Buying early, or not?

Posts 141 to 160 of 177

Octane

@shani Zelda doesn't use the GamePad screen on the Wii U though.. It's the same version as the Switch, except that the Switch seems to have a more consistent framerate. I'd argue that the Switch is the definitive version in this case.

Octane

shani

@Octane Huh, since when?! I just wanted to post a link from the 2014 presentation but then I saw the news from June... that's really ridiculous! They removed a great feature that was advertised for the game before, only because they don't want the Wii U version to be superior to the Switch version. Unbelievable!
The even forced Aonuma to make this statement, which is a lame excuse: “We realized that having something on the GamePad and looking back and forth between the TV screen and the GamePad actually disrupts the gameplay, and the concentration that the game player may be experiencing."
This was the main feature of the Wii U. For many years they advertised it and told us how great it is (and it is!). Now they are reversing their stance and say it's a distraction? Really?
It's obvious they only do this to make the Switch look better. That's pathetic.

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

Octane

@shani Yeah, it's weird how quickly they backpedaled on that idea when the rumours of an NX version of this game started popping up.

Octane

AlexSays

Preordered on Amazon which is a surprise given my lack of enthusiasm for anything Nintendo related for the past decade or so.

Bridging their mobile/console platforms and adding a paid online service are huge steps in the right direction.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

Andrzej777

AlexSays wrote:

Preordered on Amazon which is a surprise given my lack of enthusiasm for anything Nintendo related for the past decade or so.

Bridging their mobile/console platforms and adding a paid online service are huge steps in the right direction.

I agree with that bridging argument. Definitely awesome to just buy one console and have all the games you want.
But why is a paid online service a good thing? Its good if you use it a lot and want some free rentals for a month
But if are more of a casual online gamer its not really that great. I may have spend about 10 hours in the last two months playing mk8 online, this worries me a little

Andrzej777

AlexSays

It shows they're taking their online services more seriously; whether its maintaining completely stable servers for their games, offering digital content, providing more online utilities for users. Sony and MS have both been able to offer more to consumers in exchange for a paid service.

Its like a toll road (in theory, for the sake of not starting a politics debate). Everyone pays a small fee, and that road receives regular maintenance. Previously Nintendo was taking a hit on online services (they cost money, and weren't receiving anything in return). Now they'll have an additional source of income which they can use for the benefit for the system.

For certain people it will suck. Some people only play Halo a couple times a month on the Xbox, and it sucks needing XBL for that. But for the good of the console it's better that they implement this and then utilize the extra money for the system's benefit.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

Bolt_Strike

This is already a better launch lineup than most Nintendo launch lineups, and definitely equates to more than 3DS and Wii U combined. I'm not entirely happy with the Day 1 lineup, but I'll definitely get it sometime this year.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

scubydo

Day one for us, along with Zelda.

RPG, FPS, Adventure,Action...oh I like 'em all!

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

6ch6ris6

@shani it's not the traditional graphics discussion with BotW. pop-ins break the immersion and that's really important for games like zelda. i also don't care about super cool effects and such, but if the game doesn't run stable then it sucks. i'm pretty sure there will be more fps drops on wiiU than on switch.

Steam: ACAB or 6ch6ris6
waiting for a pricedrop on switch

shani

@6ch6ris6 Yeah you're probably right about the fps drops. But I don't mind pop-ins that much (but of course I'd prefer if there weren't any), why would they break the immersion? For me the immersion (in non VR games) is caused through the story, the characters and the liveliness of the world, not through pop-ins and other graphical stuff. Besides, pop-ins are not uncommon in open world games, GTA V on PS3/Xbox 360 was full of pop-ins for example.

BUT - after watching this video...

... I also realized that the Switch version offers a great level of detail, especially for things that are far away like the trees in the background.
The Wii U version also has more fog, which may even prevent too frequent fps drops.

Well, before I was sure that I would buy the Wii U version.
Now I already have three reasons to buy the Switch version (if I should really buy one):

1. region free, which means I can buy the Japanese version (unless every version offers all languages for voice acting)
2. The Gamepad functionality for Wii U was scraped for no reason (but strangely enough, the Sheikah slate, which is basically a Wii U Gamepad, still exists in the game)
3. Higher level of detail

Edited on by shani

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

Octane

@shani The fog is probably there to cover up the lack of detail in the distance. Or it could be the time of day, think that's more likely. Anyway, yes, the difference is noticeable. I hope it won't affect the gameplay too much in the end.

Octane

Monkey_Balls

It's my birthday 2nd March so thought I'd treat myself. However, when comparing the £329.98 price tag (Switch and BotW) to my £35 pre-order of BotW (Wii U) it doesn't feel like much more of a treat. There's a high chance I'll cancel my Switch pre-order and stick with the Wii U for now.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

This is already a better launch lineup than most Nintendo launch lineups, and definitely equates to more than 3DS and Wii U combined.

Wikipedia disagrees. Looking at those lists it seems the Switch will have one of the worst launch lineups ever, especially from a first-party point of view.

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

Bolt_Strike

Monkey_Balls[url wrote:

Wikipedia disagrees.[/url] Looking at those lists it seems the Switch will have one of the worst launch lineups ever, especially from a first-party point of view.

Well for one, I was speaking more launch window than launch day, second, I was speaking more quality over quantity. There's 4 high selling IPs in the first year (Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, and Mario Kart), and several styles of games that were completely absent on Wii U. And most of what the Wii U has that the Switch doesn't will come eventually. So it's not premature at all to say the Switch's lineup will be better than Wii U's.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

renaryuugufan92

If Breath of the Wild wasn't at launch I would have waited but when Amazon pre-orders went live I secured one the same night as the presentation. But I do agree the launch line up is rather poor when you take Zelda out of the equation, I know we got MK8D a month later but thats the thing, its still a month later.

Style Savvy Shop Code: R22M60G78 | XboxLive: NikkiChan92 | Steam: Nikki_chan92 | Switch FC: SW-0079-0452-6231
Console history 1998 - today: N64 & PS1, GCN & PS2, Wii & 360, Wii U & XBONE
Handheld history 1999 - today: GBC, GBA SP, og DS, og 3DS & XL.
Hybri...

Switch Friend Code: SW-0079-0452-6231 | 3DS Friend Code: 0001-3400-5874 | Nintendo Network ID: Nick-kun13

rallydefault

@Monkey_Balls
Are you off your rocker? The Switch is launching with ZELDA. The Wii U launched with . . . a NSMB reskin. And . . . Nintendoland.

But you think this is "one of the worst launch lineups ever"?

The Switch will have freakin' BOMBERMAN in March (launch month), Mario Kart in April, Splatoon in summer, and more RPGs than you can shake a stick at throughout launch/first few months, but you think this is "one of the worst launch lineups ever"?

We have a CONFIRMED 3D Mario seemingly in the vein that everyone has been clamoring for slated for Holiday '17. The Wii U got . . . Pikmin 3 about 6 months into the Wii U's life. PS4 had . . . Knack. Xbox One had . . . Ryse.

How. Please. HOW is the Switch's launch and launch window not one of the most fantastic lineups we've seen in recent memory?

rallydefault

Monkey_Balls

@rallydefault @Bolt_Strike As mentioned, Zelda can be bought for the Wii U. Therefore it's not an essential or (more importantly) system-selling title for Switch. People are getting excited about Bomberman? Really? Mario Kart and Splatoon can be played on Wii U. The new Mario isn't due until holiday 2017 - it's hardly a launch title. It's not even in the launch window.

Look again at the Wii U's launch titles: 34 games in the US, 31 for the UK, 11 in Japan. That's day one, not launch window - more than the entire first year of Switch it seems (US and UK, at least).

I did say "one of the worst", not the worst launch lineup. I can only comment on what we've been shown, coupled with Nintendo's output in recent years. I wish I could share your enthusiasm, guys, but being a bit cautious this time around.

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

Bolt_Strike

Monkey_Balls wrote:

@rallydefault @Bolt_Strike As mentioned, Zelda can be bought for the Wii U. Therefore it's not an essential or (more importantly) system-selling title for Switch.

Considering that only 13 million people own a Wii U and that the Wii U is being dropped, it most certainly will be a system seller. There's a lot of gamers that were specifically waiting for this game and since they don't have a Wii U already, there's more incentive to get it on the Switch which is getting more games over the next couple of years as opposed to the Wii U which is dying.

Monkey_Balls wrote:

Mario Kart and Splatoon can be played on Wii U.

Mario Kart you can argue since it's just a port. But again, it's a port from a system only a handful of people bought, and there's an untapped audience for it.

Splatoon is a sequel though, and it's a different game from the original. Just because it's the same IP doesn't mean it's not a system seller, by that logic nothing should be except 1, 2, Switch and Arms and I'm sure very few people will be buying a Switch for those games. But even still, the same argument applies, for many people this could very well be their first Splatoon game.

Monkey_Balls wrote:

The new Mario isn't due until holiday 2017 - it's hardly a launch title. It's not even in the launch window.

Launch window = 1st year of the release.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Monkey_Balls

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Monkey_Balls wrote:

As mentioned, Zelda can be bought for the Wii U. Therefore it's not an essential or (more importantly) system-selling title for Switch.

Considering that only 13 million people own a Wii U and that the Wii U is being dropped, it most certainly will be a system seller.

Yes, for the Wii U. Cheaper system; cheaper game.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

There's a lot of gamers that were specifically waiting for this game and since they don't have a Wii U already, there's more incentive to get it on the Switch which is getting more games over the next couple of years as opposed to the Wii U which is dying.

As I just posted in the main Switch thread, the Switch is expensive, has few games and limited stock. The Wii U is cheaper, has a larger library and is readily available. BotW is being released on both. I guarantee Wii U sales will go up come March 3rd.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Monkey_Balls wrote:

Mario Kart and Splatoon can be played on Wii U.

Mario Kart you can argue since it's just a port. But again, it's a port from a system only a handful of people bought, and there's an untapped audience for it.

Splatoon is a sequel though, and it's a different game from the original. But even still, the same argument applies, for many people this could very well be their first Splatoon game.

Those games didn't help the Wii U to sell so why would they help the Switch to sell? Plus, with increased Wii U sales due to BotW, surely those buyers will also purchase the cheaper versions of Splatoon and Mario Kart for that system instead? Plus with free online. More reasons to not need to buy a Switch.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Launch window = 1st year of the release.

A launch window is definitely not one year. It's typically three to four months after release date.

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

Bolt_Strike

Monkey_Balls wrote:

Yes, for the Wii U. Cheaper system; cheaper game.

If it were as simple as that we'd still be playing Game Boys.

Monkey_Balls wrote:

As I just posted in the main Switch thread, the Switch is expensive, has few games and limited stock. The Wii U is cheaper, has a larger library and is readily available. BotW is being released on both. I guarantee Wii U sales will go up come March 3rd.

The Wii U, the gimmicky console that had terrible third party support, is going to see an increase in sales? People actually believe this? No, there's going to be much more interest in the Switch version. There's much more interest in the Switch as a console. And yeah, it has less games, but guess what? New consoles tend to have less games. Shocker. What matters more is that the Switch is going to have a future whereas BotW is most certainly the Wii U's last hurrah, so they're going to be more inclined to spend their money on a Switch so they can play future games.

Monkey_Balls wrote:

Those games didn't help the Wii U to sell so why would they help the Switch to sell? Plus, with increased Wii U sales due to BotW, surely those buyers will also purchase the cheaper versions of Splatoon and Mario Kart for that system instead? Plus with free online. More reasons to not need to buy a Switch.

Because the Switch is less gimmicky and has a future.

Monkey_Balls wrote:

A launch window is definitely not one year. It's typically three to four months after release date.

Launch window is pretty much whatever they announce out of the gate. Three to four months is too short for a launch window.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Monkey_Balls

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Monkey_Balls wrote:

Yes, for the Wii U. Cheaper system; cheaper game.

If it were as simple as that we'd still be playing Game Boys.

I didn't realise that BotW was available for the Game Boy.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

The Wii U, the gimmicky console that had terrible third party support, is going to see an increase in sales? People actually believe this? No, there's going to be much more interest in the Switch version. There's much more interest in the Switch as a console.

Here in the UK, Switch pre-orders can be found everywhere. There is hardly any interest. Look around on gaming forums or YouTube. The general consensus regarding Zelda - a much anticipated game - is "I'll get the Wii U version", even by folk who don't yet have a Wii U. The console is cheaper. The game (BotW) is cheaper. It has a bigger library of games. Of course Wii U sales will increase when BotW is released.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Because the Switch is less gimmicky and has a future.

I guess you didn't watch the Nintendo Treehouse, in particular the part where they showed folk milking cows or eating baguettes.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Launch window is pretty much whatever they announce out of the gate. Three to four months is too short for a launch window.

And a year is too long for a launch window. Let's compromise and say it's six months. Regardless, have a read of this.

Edited on by Monkey_Balls

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic