Forums

Topic: Battery percentage issues

Posts 1 to 20 of 25

DrumNFreak

Hey guys, I've been having issues with the battery percentage on my Switch. You see, I'll charge it on the dock until 100% and I take it out and then if I turned it off and back on it will go down to 60% and then go back to 100% if I have it off for awhile. But one time my Switch said it was at 9%. But I then turned it on again and it went back to 98%. The battery of course doesn't change when connected to the dock except if it's charging. is this a firmware issue or battery issue? I believe it started after I did the update at least since I noticed. I appreciate it if anyone knows the answer, thanks!

DrumNFreak

Zyrac

The battery meter on Switch is known to be glitchy. I've heard the issue is caused when you turn off the console entirely instead of keeping it in sleep mode. It's definitely something Nintendo needs to fix, in any case.

Pullblox levels | Fallblox levels | Fullblox levels | Mario Maker levels
ACNL Dream Address: 6E00 000F 65D2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6987-6502-7004 | 3DS Friend Code: 0044-3085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: Zyrac23 | Twitter:

DrumNFreak

@Zyrac Oh okay, thanks for letting me know.

DrumNFreak

MikeTS

I've had battery problems ever since I bought my switch. In handheld mode I'll be lucky to have it last an hour. I do always turn it off complety so I might try putting it in sleep mode and see if that makes a difference.

MikeTS

PowerStar

Somewhat related:
Is there any way to play the Switch while docked WITHOUT having to charge? I feel like not constantly charging the console would help prevent any battery issues.

Try my newest Mario Maker stage: "Can You Dig It?" 545C-0000-01B2-C095

Nintendo Network ID: PitBrawler

DrumNFreak

So, I recently did the new 3.0 update and it still does it. Is it still glitchy?

DrumNFreak

Raiko

@MikeTS I have that same issue. It tells you the battery is low about an hour into a session. Honestly, you can push through that and the console wont die. After 10 minutes it warns you again that the battery is low. 10 minutes later it tells you it's going to shut down very soon if you don't charge it. From this point i've played for at least another hour and a half.

Raiko

MarcelRguez

@PowerStar On the contrary. You'll wear out the battery faster if you drain it every time you play.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

DrumNFreak

Okay, I just noticed something. Apparently if I remove the Joy-Cons. The battery percentage doesn't lie anymore. I wonder if the console is taking energy from the Joy-Cons?

DrumNFreak

ValhallaOutcast

@DrumNFreak well ya the Joy Cons use the Switch to charge/keep charged

not sure its enough to notice a huge percentage change though

Friend Code SW-4365-4821-7317

DrumNFreak

But, I am wondering. Does the console also drain battery with the Joy Cons connected to the console while the console is off?

DrumNFreak

DrumNFreak

Because my Nintendo Switch only seems to drain battery when the joy cons are connected even when the console is off. But, if I take the joy cons off the console while the console is off the battery works fine when I turn it on again. This has to be a bug with the Joy Cons maybe?

DrumNFreak

Guovssohas

@DrumNFreak Yes it seems like when the joycons are connected they drain the battery, happens with my switch too. If i stop playing with 60% battery, the next day it's 40-50% even if it's completely turned off.

Guovssohas

MarcelRguez

Of course it is. That's how you charge the joycons.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

MikeTS

Raiko wrote:

@MikeTS I have that same issue. It tells you the battery is low about an hour into a session. Honestly, you can push through that and the console wont die. After 10 minutes it warns you again that the battery is low. 10 minutes later it tells you it's going to shut down very soon if you don't charge it. From this point i've played for at least another hour and a half.

Thanks for pointing this out to me. I'm Currently playing Arms in handheld mode, had the 2 battery warnings the last one to tell me my switch will soon be put to sleep popped up an hour ago and I'm still playing fine on 1% battery.

Edited on by MikeTS

MikeTS

ValhallaOutcast

Guovssohas wrote:

@DrumNFreak Yes it seems like when the joycons are connected they drain the battery, happens with my switch too. If i stop playing with 60% battery, the next day it's 40-50% even if it's completely turned off.

off or sleep mode?

Friend Code SW-4365-4821-7317

GuruOfGreatness

I turn my Switch off properly when I'm done (put it in the dock, hold the power button down for 5 seconds etc, and actually power it off). I never use Sleep Mode.

What I'd LOVE to know, is that why is it when I do this, that the console STILL charges up when not in use, AND powered off?

Surely if I've just powered it off properly, whether it's in the dock or not, it should NOT charge.

The only reason I'm concerned is that I feel that if my console is always docked (which it is 95% of the time), then surely it can't be doing the battery much good can it? To be constantly at 100%.

The only thing I can think of to avoid this is to take the power cable out of the back each time I'm done.

Can anyone help? Have I got a faulty Switch or is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

GuruOfGreatness

Guovssohas

GuruOfGreatness wrote:

I turn my Switch off properly when I'm done (put it in the dock, hold the power button down for 5 seconds etc, and actually power it off). I never use Sleep Mode.

What I'd LOVE to know, is that why is it when I do this, that the console STILL charges up when not in use, AND powered off?

Surely if I've just powered it off properly, whether it's in the dock or not, it should NOT charge.

The only reason I'm concerned is that I feel that if my console is always docked (which it is 95% of the time), then surely it can't be doing the battery much good can it? To be constantly at 100%.

The only thing I can think of to avoid this is to take the power cable out of the back each time I'm done.

Can anyone help? Have I got a faulty Switch or is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

I'd like to know this too, since my switch is also docked 95% of the time, if not more.

Edited on by Guovssohas

Guovssohas

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic