Forums

Topic: Yooka-Laylee

Posts 961 to 980 of 1,090

Nin10dad

Yeah, I think I remember seeing something about when it's released on Switch, it will be the fully updated version. I just really hope it drops before Odyssey.... @Spoony_Tech

nintendad.co.uk

Twitter @nintendad

Switch - SW-5274-3655-0708

Spoony_Tech

@G0dlike I've been saying that since the game jumped to the Switch that it better not release anywhere near Mario. Hopefully early September at the latest. They have to know it will hurt sales a bit to release near Mario.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Ralizah

Once Mario launches, this game is going to get buried, so yeah, they'd better release it in September or early 2018.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

rallydefault

Yea, this thing cannot launch in within a couple weeks of Mario OR a couple months after, I think, or else it will just get buried under the bigger Holiday titles.

rallydefault

kkslider5552000

Ralizah wrote:

Once Mario launches, this game is going to get buried, so yeah, they'd better release it in September or early 2018.

Considering how a fighting game from the early 90s sold for 40 bucks is close to half a million on Switch, I have my doubts on this.

I mean, Mario will overshadow it regardless but maybe if there was...a 3rd or 4th 3d platformer than people knew about on this Nintendo console, then I could see Yooka Laylee maybe having problems? Maybe?

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Haruki_NLI

@kkslider5552000 Sonic Forces and Mario Odyssey are both end of year. Yooka Laylee lacks that kind of branding

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

kkslider5552000

BLP_Software wrote:

@kkslider5552000 Sonic Forces and Mario Odyssey are both end of year. Yooka Laylee lacks that kind of branding

OMG I completely forgot about Sonic Forces.

Ok, that might be a good point. I doubt it won't do well even with that, just because so much of the audience for this game that's already successful is still the Nintendo one. But I could see that severely hurting initial sales at least. A bunch of people might just wait...

It's kinda like when everyone thought Titanfall 2 was doomed because it had COD and Battlefield for competition, and then it was still a top selling game last year. Not that I'm comparing the two necessarily, but despite any critical disappointments, this is still a fairly top-tier known indie game. Like a Shovel Knight.

Spoony_Tech

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

Considering how a fighting game from the early 90s sold for 40 bucks is close to half a million on Switch, I have my doubts on this.

I mean, Mario will overshadow it regardless but maybe if there was...a 3rd or 4th 3d platformer than people knew about on this Nintendo console, then I could see Yooka Laylee maybe having problems? Maybe?

What other fighting games did that have to go up against again?

I get what you're saying though, this systems seems to be breaking a lot of the old notions Nintendo systems have had in the past.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

Spoony_Tech wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

What other fighting games did that have to go up against again?

Those NEOGEO games are in fact, newer video games. XD

Bunkerneath

Is this game EVER going to come to switch?

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

Bunkerneath wrote:

...there were updates like...in the past week.

I presume the successful spiritual successor to Rare games that are showcased to be working on Switch will in fact, come to Switch, a successful system where games are consistently selling well. I realize that's a bold statement, but I think I MIGHT be right about this.

I mean, it could be worse, I'm still waiting for Chromophore, a Wii U game that was kickstarted before the release of the Wii U.

Paraka

For a game that's supposed to be a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie is sure as hell reflecting more of the company as a spiritual successor to Rare's older dev times.

Paraka

rallydefault

Bunkerneath wrote:

I just got a call from Playtonic. Game's NEVER coming to Switch.

rallydefault

Haruki_NLI

@kkslider5552000 Its a fairly top tier known indie game yes, but that comes with caveats.

The Nintendo crowd was the primary audience for this style of game and a lot of them have been burned by the Wii U cancellation and lack of news, even coming up to 5 months since launch elsewhere. That could affect sales, like I know I already bought it on PS4, because back then, there was no word. It was a thing. Even now it's a thing, but now with an image.

Secondly, Mario. No matter where Mario is huge, and there is no doubt in my mind Odyssey will be more of a critical darling. In fact that makes me wonder if reviews for Yooka-Laylee on Switch will ignore the fact it will come with the fixes just issued to the other versions. That'll be one to watch.

Third: Sonic Forces. Say what you think of the game but there is one indisputable fact: Sonic historically sells at it's strongest on Nintendo hardware. That has been a trend only bucked by the Wii U having a miserable install base. There is probably a very good reason SEGA announced this game for Switch from Day 1, and why all the advertising has been in association with Nintendo.

Those two games alone are going to be big for the Switch, and in the eyes of the general public and not us gamers, outside our little bubble, Yooka-Laylee has nothing like Sonic and Mario. Both of those at the same time on a handheld? Sales. Yooka-Laylee wont factor into that.

Grumblevolcano

@BLP_Software I'd say Sonic Mania is more dangerous for Yooka Laylee than Sonic Forces as 3D Sonic games have been more mixed quality over the past 15 years.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haruki_NLI

@Grumblevolcano They still, regardless of quality, sell best on Nintendo hardware. Just compare Colours to Generations. It's not a huge margin but Colours managed to sell 2.18 million across Wii and DS. Generations only pulled 1.85 million across 3DS, 360, PC and PS3.

Even Lost World on the Wii U and 3DS did 780,000. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle? 1.73 million.

Regardless of quality the brand is strongest on Nintendo, that was the point I was making, not one of quality.

Grumblevolcano

@BLP_Software That's the thing though, Lost World is the only example you've given that isn't considered one of the best 3D Sonic games. Look more at stuff like Secret Rings, Black Knight, 06 and Boom.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Haruki_NLI

@Grumblevolcano Here ya go.

As you can see I cant mention games like Secret Rings, and Black Knight or Sonic 4 as SEGA delisted them. As far as their numbers go those games never happened.

But looking across numbers are higher on Nintendo systems than on others, and in the event of a multiplatform release it makes you wonder what the sales split is.

But as I said. Im not debating quality. This is about if Yooka Laylee will be swamped by sales of Sonic and Mario. And the answer is, pretty much.

Reginald

I realize I might be derailing the thread a little, but is it just me, or are people being really hard on Playtonic and this game? Heck, indie developers in general.

I'm really starting to dislike this constant negativity and entitled impatience that surrounds the development of indie games and their studios. I realize Playtonic is staffed by experienced people, but they are working with newer devices and may not be sufficiently staffed to properly quality check a game. At least they are working on it and ensuring that the Switch version is in tiptop shape and the definitive version. It will most definitely compete and be overshadowed by Mario and Sonic, there's no doubt about that, but at this point it's more about delivering the game and fixing its problems.

I have plenty of games to tie me over until whenever Yooka-Laylee releases, and more still coming. I'm in no rush to play this game, especially when they're in the process of improving it. It makes the wait all the more worthwhile.

I'm getting tired of this entitled attitude. I could understand people being upset with Mighty No. 9 as that was very much a train wreck, but I see this everywhere now.

Reginald

kkslider5552000

I know, it's quite absurd. I mean, I have problems with how they've handled things, but not so much where I'm like "OH YOU IDIOTS, YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING RIGHT AND YOUR GAME SUCKS". No. Yooka Laylee had a good chunk of people who liked it before its initial patch that clearly improved it, and the Switch version coming last is a good thing for the port not sucking. There are problems within that, but like...I'm not sure what I could reasonably ask of them right now.

Now, if they want to compete with Mario and Sonic, that's simply a dumb idea, but one they can survive.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic