Forums

Topic: Yooka-Laylee

Posts 1,081 to 1,090 of 1,090

Oswinner

I think Yooka-Laylee suffered from expectations. I only found the game in Jan/Feb and had zero expectations after reading loads of reviews slating it. As a massive Banjo/90s 3D platforming fan I was pleasantly surprised and it was better than the reviews gave it credit for.

By contrast, A Hat in Time got great reviews around the same time. Most saying it was better than Yooka. So I’ve been left feeling disappointed by it as I was expecting it to be better than Yooka and it just isn’t (in my opinion). I feel like A Hat in Time benefitted in the reviews of that era from Yooka not living up to Banjo expectations.

I have Yooka down as a 7 or 8/10 (4* game) and Impossible Lair as a 9 or 10/10 (5* game).

Oswinner

rallydefault

@Oswinner
The first Yooka definitely did suffer from expectations, but they really dropped the ball when it came to some technical stuff that makes a 3D platformer fun. The camera (even with the fixes) just wasn't up to snuff, the hit detection was unintuitive, lots of the moves and therefore platforming was floaty, and I have no idea how the flight controls made it into the final version of the game. If they would have fixed even the flight stuff before launching I probably would have enjoyed the game much more.

They still created a charming world, great characters, all the trappings. But the technical stuff just limited my enjoyment so much.

Impossible Lair fixed most of those gripes.

rallydefault

Oswinner

@rallydefault I had no problem with the camera or hit detection. Probably because I played Super Mario 64 right before, I was actually happy with Yooka’s camera. Characters didn’t seem floaty to me either, A Hat in Time meanwhile...

I do agree with the flight controls. Although I got used to them near the end, they weren’t the best...

Oswinner

Snatcher

I mean when I played it, I just thought it was ok.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

dionysos283

I liked both Yooka games, but the first definitely had its flaws. I only played it years later with all the fixes, so I don't know how bad it was before. But as a 3D platformer fan from the N64 era, I also had a good time with Yooka.

But to defend A Hat in Time: It was just more innovative with the 3D platformer genre. Every level was different, not only in its theme, but also in the kind of tasks you had to do. I also really liked the tight controls that made platforming fun. Overall it's just a much better game than Yooka imo. Of course some people may prefer the oldschool clunky platformers.

dionysos283

rallydefault

@Oswinner
Playing an older game like Mario 64 right before probably helped your senses, yea. The camera was okay-ish after the patch, but the hit detection I just couldn't get past. Combined with the flight it really made the last part of the game a slog.

rallydefault

Oswinner

I’ve only gone and done it. Impossible Lair is defeated!

40:20 hours
43/48 bees
195/200 Twit coins
42/62 tonics
28 attempts

Adore this game!

Oswinner

rallydefault

Nice!

Impossible Lair is still on my revisit list for sometime this summer. I played it and beat it before they patched and made the Lair easier, but that doesn't really matter because I want to find all the bees and stuff anyway.

I may even give the original Yooka a fresh shot. ...

Probably not lol

rallydefault

Oswinner

@rallydefault yeah you should defo do that.

I completed the game the originally intended way and didn’t use the checkpoints. Went into the final battle for the first time with zero bees and managed to get the end sequence still in-tact somehow. Lost Laylee on the end sequence but just survived to tell the story...

I’ve only got 5 bees and coins left to collect so although I’m not normally a completionist I think I’m going to return to the game to collect them. And then...take on the Impossible Lair without bees, aka the real Impossible Lair, because I’m mental.

Edited on by Oswinner

Oswinner

WoomyNNYes

Wasn't feeling this game the first time I tried it. But now that I've given it another try, I really started enjoying it after 1-2 hours. I'm five or six hours in. Man, that Great Rampo boss, rolling the logs down that down-sloping alley, was pretty tough.

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic