Forums

Topic: Astral Chain

Posts 301 to 320 of 337

link3710

@Grumblevolcano That sounds like almost certainly a glitch. Someone forgot to put a check on the ledge retrieval code to make sure the user was alive beforehand, and falling off a ledge always brings your HP to 1 if it would otherwise kill you. It's an easily missable edge case.

link3710

RR529

A couple photos I took of a poster in an out of the way area. I don't recall seeing it anyplace else (though I could be wrong), so kinda curious about it.
Untitled
Untitled

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Grumblevolcano

I'm down to the last 10 cases of the postgame, the difficulty curve is definitely a lot fairer than the Bayonetta games.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

kkslider5552000

This game is definitely way easier than the average Platinum game once you know how to play, even on Platinum mode. Some of the other Platinum games have your rank plummet if you die (both for one mission and thus the entire chapter), but the battery system doesn't seem to do that. It's still easy to get hurt if you aren't good at dodging, it just doesn't matter as much.

I think one of the main things I love is that I've reached the point where I'm able to easily do a bunch of this game's seemingly endless gameplay mechanics at once, so the battles are just really cool and varied. Arguably even more than most Platinum's games.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

RR529

@Knighty_IX, oh, so she's some sort of company mascot of sorts then? That's pretty cool I guess.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

CTmatic

I just bought this tonight. Any advice or “top 3 beginner tips” before I start?

~ A man chooses. A slave obeys. ~

link3710

@CTmatic Ah jeez, it's been awhile since I played, let me see what I can recall...

1. You can't 100% any mission til close to end game on your first go through, so don't obsess over trying. Once you have all the legions you should be good.
2. You can go back and replay chapters at any point, but you're best off doing it at the beginning of new chapters so you don't lose progress.
3. Experiment. This game has tons of systems, and basically everything is usable if you want. Don't be afraid to try out whatever new comes in, or lock yourself into using only a single legion. You'll truly start to shine once you learn how to switch between all your legions on the fly in battle, but don't worry about that early on.
4. Explore. The game has stuff hidden basically everywhere, so it's always good to explore.
5. There are lockouts if you move to far forward in some levels. These are almost always warned with dialogue boxes to confirm you want to trigger the next area, but there are a few that aren't. You can always replay if you miss anything however.
6. Use items. Most games items are optional, but here, you're pretty much expected to be using them, at least the ones you find within the level. Most of them expire at the end of the level (and are marked as such), so there's no point hording those anyways.

link3710

Zeldafan79

I might be finally getting this game soon and i have a few concerns. Is it anything like Bayonetta? I know it's the same developer. What about the combat? The whole chain thing where you're tethered looks complicated. The game seems awesome. Hope it's as fun as i've heard.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Fujin

Can you guys tell me what does the easy difficulty do exactly. Is it that you do more damage to enemies and take less damage from enemies.

To achieve something it takes more than practice it takes belief and confidence that you will succeed.

Beaucine

@Zeldafan79

It's like Bayonetta in that you can tell it's a Platinum game, so you have their refined combat mechanics, graded battles, epic set pieces, and off-kilter humor.

However, the battle systems are different. Bayonetta is about combos and quick movements. In high-level play, you're looking at how each kick, punch, and wicked weave plays into the next one, like steps in a dance, only your dance partners are trying to kill you. It's more skill-based and weapons have more depth to them.

Astral Chain has only a few basic combos, so combat doesn't revolve around them. Instead, it's about the synergy of your different Legions and your own character's melee and ranged attacks, and about how you can weaponize the chain itself.

Grading in Astral Chain, unlike Bayonetta, is not based on pure skill, speed, and lack of item use, but rather on variety and creativity. You'll get better grades if you switch up your tactics, which is the developer's way of suggesting how they meant their game to be played. Different Legions are good at different things: some can be used for defense, some for ranged offense, some for melee combat, and so on. And your basic combos will have different effects depending on which Legion you're using.

I won't lie, there are a lot of systems and it can be overwhelming at first. However, unlike Bayonetta, Astral Chain is a relatively long game. You have more time to adjust and it drips-feed you new Legions and skills. You even have a holodeck-style training room to make sure your skills are up to snuff.

Moreover, Astral Chain has a bunch of gameplay styles that Bayonetta doesn't touch. There's exploration, dialogues with NPCs, detective work, platforming, puzzle solving, and side-questing. The plot itself isn't as wild and fun as Bayonetta, to say nothing of the dull protagonists. But the world-building is top-notch. It's a very immersive game with a great deal of content and fantastic music.

Beaucine

Zeldafan79

Just got the game and I'm liking it alot so far! The look is really neato! Like something outta the movie Tron. I love the music and how you can customize your character! Still getting used to the combat though. I keep getting D's all the time. I did a few training missions and I'm sorta getting it. I'm only five hours in so maybe after a bit more time I'll really be able to get into it. I don't exactly know what's going on with the story but I'm guessing story isn't the main focus of this game. Seems like a cool possibly hidden gem on switch!

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

Bolt_Strike

I beat this game about two weeks ago. I tend to be very wary about beat em ups, many of them look like repetitive button mashers, but this game is most certainly not. The combat has a surprising amount of depth and variety that makes it just plain fun to play. I need more of this. Hope it gets a sequel in a few years.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

rallydefault

I'm still a hold-out on this one, but my defenses are starting to weaken lol

It's quite a gap between now and July for Origami King, so I may end up buying this one. It's either gonna be this or Ultimate Alliance 3.

rallydefault

psychoBrew

So I just picked this game up a couple of weeks ago and I have one big issue. When aiming with the arrow legion, left and right on the motions controls are backwards, so when I aim my controller to the right, the legion aims to the left, etc. How do I fix this?

psychoBrew

jump

I've finally completed it now since having it day one. I think it came out around the time of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Cadence of Hyrule and Yooka-Laylee 2 which stole my attention at the time.

To be honest I didn't like it as much as I wanted to. I found the platforming, puzzles and cases are bit boring, I didn't really care for most of the urban & astral plane areas and the fist half of the game was a slog but the action is really interesting and looks flashy. I also wish the word itself was a bit more fun like having more wacky NPC, I really didn't care about most of the sidequests as it felt like going from A to B rather than helping someone.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Bolt_Strike

So the game seems to have been successful and probably will get a sequel. When do you think we'll see it? The earliest it could probably happen is 2022-2023, but will we see it that soon or will it take a little longer?

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

kkslider5552000

If we do see a sequel, that timeline seems right.

It's kind of a weird game, in that it was great enough that I would want a sequel, but at the same time I can't imagine it being something I'd be super hyped about either (tbh, same with Bayonetta).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Grumblevolcano

@Bolt_Strike I think later because of Bayonetta 3 so perhaps 2022 for Bayonetta 3 and 2024-2025 for Astral Chain 2 if there is a sequel.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jump

I'm really not fussed over the idea of a sequel myself. The combat was interesting and it looked cool but it just lacked personality, so many boring support and random NPCs to talk to and the detective bits and dungeons were abit dull.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Raylax

I'd be down for a sequel but yeah there's definitely room for improvement. The core of the game is really solid but a lot of the characters were really bland stereotypes and I got bored of the astral plain pretty quickly. They could definitely build it into something really special though

Raylax

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic