Forums

Topic: Astral Chain

Posts 261 to 280 of 337

Quarth

@JaxonH Ah, sorry. Missed that! You're in for a treat!

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

link3710

@Quarth Interestingly enough, this seems like it might prove to be a much bigger plot point as the series moves forwards. The Axe Legion isn't the only one to take on their controllers traits, the Arrow Legion's actions seemed in line with Akira wanting to protect the protagonist from having to take that action.

@JaxonH Ugh, now I want to play through Wonderful 101 for a... third or fourth time? I've lost track. I know I won't be able to stop myself if it comes to Switch from getting it again, but at least I'll get my money's worth out of it

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Quarth

@link3710 Hope we'll get an answer in Astral Chain 2!

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 @Quarth Some database entries shed further light on this. Just like the scan visor in the Metroid Prime games, taking photos in Astral Chain gives you more info on the locations, characters, enemies, etc.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Quarth

@Grumblevolcano Yeah, I always forgot the camera mode in the game. That's one part that I wish they implemented better, even though it's purely optional.

link3710

@Grumblevolcano Oh yeah, I've gotten about 70% of the entries now I think? I will say, taking a photo of the commander as my first test of the system was uh... interesting. I can't believe they let you find information like that out right at the start of the game.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

Does anyone have any tips with arm type chimeras? All my battles so far against them have been luck beating them but my luck has ran out with a certain file 12 case.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@Grumblevolcano There's a few tricks that I've got working inconsistently. For one, there's a ZL combo you can trigger after three hits with the Gladius that usually knocks the Arm type chimeras in the air and on the flat of their back. If you can pull it off once, it's possible to cheese it over and over again, but usually I only manage 3-4 consecutive goes before the chimera pulls something to stop it. Another success tip I've had is using gun + arrow legion and just sniping it as much as possible from a distance, and using Arrow legion's massive speed (+ a chain up) to stay well out of it's way. Finally, if you can stay behind it with the baton it's really easy to dodge and you do extra damage. Also, leave any small legions alone and kill them with the perfect last hit to heal yourself as needed.

As for skills? I highly recommend having Blue Shield on the Axe legion to combo with the Gladius. Speed Star on just about anyone is good all around, letting you spend less time vulnerable and more time in iframes. Pretty sure it's the best skill by far. Autobind is useless against Arm legions with how easy they are to bind, don't bother. Arrow Shot is nice to have to hit from the distance, just make sure you use it while they're loafing around and not before a charge. Chain Drive is easy to use on Arm legions with Beast but... it's not really good. It's mostly for dealing with weak enemies fast I think? Haven't figured it out. I'd prefer Howl on Beast, assuming the enemy isn't immune.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 Oh yeah, forgot about skills. That and using the Axe legion more made the case much easier. I think I may be ready for a Pt. Standard run as I'm getting lots of S+ ranks on file 12 cases.

@scubydo There's 2 things to consider regarding leveling up your legion. Gene codes which are obtained by defeating enemies and material codes which are obtained in a number of ways (completing red cases for the first time, obtaining items at certain places for the first time and completing orders). Replaying files can help particularly if you've missed lots of red cases though legion level isn't the only thing to consider, don't forget to upgrade your X-Baton and Legatus by talking to Tabitha on level B3 of HQ (requires material codes and money).

Grumblevolcano

link3710

@Grumblevolcano Yeah, I went through about half the game without using skills, until I realized how ridiculously much they impacted combat if you used them. I still hate the fact that ZL+L is one of the skills though, I'm trying hard to get used to the idea of having separate fingers on each shoulder button for this game.

link3710

farrow000

On the story playthrough you have 5 hearts but on the aftergame you only have 2. I completed the story no problem on casual mode but getting my ass beaten on the first file on mission 12. I thought okay i'll try lower it to unchained mode to see if i get more hearts but doesn't change.

farrow000

My Nintendo: SW-3219-1520-3721

DenDen

How is everybody doing in file 12?
Im stuck in one of the missions, so In replaying the story missions now on ultimate.

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

link3710

@Galenmereth The rating system is mostly there in PT Standard for beginners to challenge themselves. It's not serious. The lowest rank doesn't even have a rating system (or at least doesn't track them). I don't see an issue with is being there, it's not like it hurts to have it on an easier difficulty, and it actually helps people to learn how the rating system works before going to higher difficulties.

@DenDen I've only played the first mission and "Desk Work...?" so far, I had to take a break to try out Spyro Trilogy. Still, neither of those seemed particularly hard? It's good to know it gets harder.

link3710

RR529

Cleared File 4 yesterday on Pt Standard. Beat the Arm Legion with only having to use one mini-medicine, and then the File's end boss without having to use any items.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Late

Cleared File 4 earlier today. I defeated the boss really fast and I was like, "well, if they gave me S+ from File 3's boss even though I didn't think I earned it, then this should give me the same score". Proceeds to get a D...

I'm more of an explorer when it comes to this game. I search every nook and cranny and try to take photos of every new encounter. I like the slower paced investigation phase and gathering clues but the quizzes have been pretty pointless and boring so far. Sometimes it feels like they straight up give you the answer and then you just have to pick it from the menu. Far from something like Ace Attorney but that clearly wasn't the focus here.

The game certainly wouldn't work if it was only exploration and I'm happy to say I'm enjoying the action too. Not liking the combat was my main concern going in since I don't usually play action games. I'm just scratching the surface of what the combat has to offer. I was a bit overwhelmed from the start and they just keep on adding more options. I've mostly adjusted by now though there are some skills I should use more often. I'm glad they're giving plenty of healing items. I sure need them. Haven't died yet though.

My main problem with this game is that it demands longer play sessions. I wish it let me save whenever I want to but at the same time, I understand why it doesn't. It doesn't help that I'm currently playing multiple other games too and new games are on the horizon like AI: The Somnium Files (Europe gets it on Friday), another game where you work at the police department.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

link3710

@Late If it helps, the game does autosave constantly, and you can always check when your last save was. Any time you clear a case it does for certain at least, which is usually about a 10 minute gap at most.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

@DenDen Struggling with the R3 cases, though I think the difficulty of File 12 is similar to Bayonetta 2's postgame (Witch Trials) where the difficulty isn't decided by the difficulty you choose but rather the levels themselves have a predetermined difficulty. From what I can tell so far:

R1 = Casual difficulty cases
R2 = Pt. Standard difficulty cases
R3 = Pt. Ultimate difficulty cases

Grumblevolcano

DenDen

Im in r3 so that explains much haha

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

AndyD

Finally beat the main game. Now to finish up file 12 so I can level up my legions some more and try to finish off the last boss on PtStandard. I had to lower that part to casual.

SW-3806-8055-1317
DIY Needs list
My ever growing backlog
Switch:Minecraft Dungeons,Borderlands 2,ACNH

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic