Forums

Topic: Astral Chain

Posts 241 to 260 of 278

Galenmereth

@JaxonH The camera setting descriptions make no sense though. “Fixed camera during battle”? What does that even mean? It’s off by default; turning it on seems to have made no difference, although it seems it doesn’t auto lock-on anymore..? Honestly it’s a mess still when you’re used to games like NieR and Bayonetta. It might be worked around, but it shouldn’t be this bad by default.

The platforming segments aren’t hard. They’re obnoxious and cumbersome because the movement of your legion is mapped to the same stick as the camera. It feels awkward even after 15+ hours. Randomly the camera decides not to follow the legion quickly enough, leading to unnecessary fiddling and falls.

Out of curiosity, how far in are you? I’m at file 9, and there’s segments here with huge sliding blocks that push your camera all over the place. Why anyone thought it’s be a good idea to have moving scenery collide with and move the player’s viewport is a puzzle to me. It feels like many steps back from Platinum’s last games.

Galenmereth

JaxonH

@Galenmereth
The camera setting descriptions are definitely vague but at the end of the day, I don’t really care what it is by default as long as I have the power to get it how I like it.

As for the platforming it doesn’t really matter if it moves your camera because it only takes a split second to send the Legion out and make the jump. I’m quick with it. Even if I have to wrap it around something I’m quick with it. I’ve got the camera situated how I like it before I even send the Legion out.

I haven’t got to the part you’ve gotten to, and maybe it’ll change my mind when I do, but as of right now this is the best Platinum game I’ve ever played. That said, I don’t think a bad section with falling blocks is going to change that opinion. Bayonetta had QTE that I actually did have issues with, and it still ended up being my favorite games.

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Three Houses, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Vita: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz

Jesus is Lord.

CLICK HERE For My Switch Collection

Galenmereth

@JaxonH I think it's unfair to say a game is the best one from them until you've played through all its parts.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but so far it's very far from their best for me, and I've played most of them. Then again, their games do tend to have some issues that have tended to hold them back.

You'll understand my gripes later on when there's jumping puzzles that require very precise landing where you have to combat the camera while dealing with extremely imprecise landing indication. Try landing on a pipe you can barely stand on and then end up colliding with your legion when pulling yourself to it and sliding off. It's frustrating for the wrong reasons and poor design.

There's combat scenarios later on where you'll have enemies all around you and above you, and if you can find some way for your character to shoot their gun at the one you want, and the camera not to out, you'll have to tell me how. I'm nearing the end of the game, and while I do get fairly good ranks on PT Standard, it doesn't feel rewarding. It feels like luck half the time.

Edited on by StableInvadeel

Galenmereth

JaxonH

@Galenmereth
Well you're free to feel that way, but I dont think its unfair, and since it's my opinion to give, what I feel is all that really matters.

I dont buy into into the "only people who have completed a game can have any valid opinion" narrative. I can have an opinion before I even play the game, during my playthrough and after. That opinion may change but 9 times out of 10 it does not.

Otherwise you could then take it even further to the extreme and say "only those who have 100% a game can have a valid opinion" because clearly there's content you haven't experienced by merely "beating" the game.

Maybe if someone only played for 15 min I could see an argument but, if I've played half the game, my opinion isnt going to radically change, even if there's an annoying section later on. It would take a pretty radical departure in consistency to see a radical departure in my opinion.

I dealt with frustrating parts in W101, Bayonetta 1/2 and Nier, even Metal Gear Rising. I have yet to have issues in Astral Chain. Actually I've had a few but it's all been my fault and things I overcame once I figured them out. That could very well change toward the end of the game. I'm not discounting the possibility. But Astral Chain is so good, that even if it does I dont think it'll be enough to change my overall opinion.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

DenDen

@link3710
Well I didnt get on my first run everything S+ most of the time A and S

But yes this gives a decent challenge Im at file 5 now and gotta say its getting though.

@Galenmereth
Sorry man never had any issues with the camera.
Read more about it but cant see how this can happen.
Also no problems here with the platforming

Now playing
Switch : Astral Chain, Fire emblem tree Houses, Daemon X Machinema, (updated 14-09-19
Switch fc: SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Galenmereth

@DenDen You're at file 5. Get back to me later on.

@JaxonH Obviously you don't have to complete a game to have an opinion about it. But saying it's better than other games before you've even seen it through is premature, IMO. In the same manner, I'm still witholding final judgment on this game. But so far I'm in disagreement with this site's review to say the least.

Galenmereth

JaxonH

@Galenmereth
Opinions are always subject to change. That's a given and should go without saying.

And I'll be sure to let you know if it does. I just dont think it will.

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

DenDen

@Galenmereth
Yes on file 5 in my second playthrough on ultimate.
Finished the whole game already

Now playing
Switch : Astral Chain, Fire emblem tree Houses, Daemon X Machinema, (updated 14-09-19

NintendoByNature

Ended up finishing the game last night. 18.5 hours in total. Had to do casual on the last boss unfortunately. But for pretty much the entire game, I had it on pt standard. Only 2 other times I had to switch to casual for a boss fight. But this is my game of the year. The only other game that will come close for me in zelda because I've played the dx version tons of times so I know what I'm getting. But yea.....goty

NintendoByNature

RR529

BTW, is there any romance in this game (whether it's your choice, or a set in stone part of the story)?

I only ask because if so it'll affect my choice of avatar.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

darkfenrir

Nope, no romance at all

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

kyleforrester87

File 10, no issues with the camera, occasionally I’m not looking at the enemy I’m attacking but I just target someone else...

I maybe missed 1 or 2 platforms but took it as part of the challenge, nothing jumps out at me as particularly bad.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

RR529

@darkfenrir, thanks.

Anyhow, I got my replacement copy in today... as well as the original lost one. Hopefully they don't charge me twice (I'll see about returning one copy in store this weekend).

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Mountain_Man

I found one thing I don't like about this game:

You'll be happily exploring, planning to go back to things you might have missed, but then suddenly you'll trigger a cut-scene, and the way back is blocked by those orange holograms. So frustrating!

The Mountain Man

Mountain_Man

RR529 wrote:

BTW, is there any romance in this game (whether it's your choice, or a set in stone part of the story)?

Considering the two main protagonists are brother and sister, I'd hope there was no romance!

The Mountain Man

RR529

Just started it this evening. I'm loving the style so far, but not much else to say about it yet. Cleared the first mission, switched up the difficulty to Standard to see if I can handle it, did the training exercises and then quit for the moment.

Mountain_Man wrote:

RR529 wrote:

Considering the two main protagonists are brother and sister, I'd hope there was no romance!

It's not like they're the only characters in the game or anything, which is why I asked.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

link3710

@RR529 I mean, technically there is a character with a crush on you, but it doesn't change the dialogue at all based on gender as far as I can tell, and it's a minor sidequest character. That's the only thing I'm aware of so far.

@Mountain_Man Ugh, tell me about it. Astral Chain is leagues beyond where Platinum used to be (try Bayonetta 1 some time, it had lockouts galore), but they still have enough lockouts without warning that it's a constant issue. Luckily it seems to have lightened up significantly in the back end of the game (the entire last file I played didn't have a single lockout without a specific warning), but the early game was rough about it.

link3710

RR529

Cleared File 2 on PT Standard. I got a game over once during one of the boss fights, but otherwise I didn't have much trouble (used quite a bit of medicine to heal, but at least at this point in time, it seems to be generous enough with the stuff where I wasn't running too low).

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Galenmereth

Man I wish there were more variation in enemies and fighting in general. My main struggle apart from the camera and jumping puzzles (which are annoying, not hard) is that the combat is already feeling extremely repetitive even at the end of my first play-through on PT Standard. And I keep getting S and S+ Ranks when I felt it went terrible. So far I’ve never lost more than one heart per file either.

Maybe I’m just personally done with repetitive action games of this kind, but I honestly can’t understand how it has scored this high in reviews. The story certainly doesn’t carry it, something which helped out in NieR a lot through the more monotonous areas. At least there you had musical and scenic variety and an amazing story.

Astral Chain feels overly stylish and polished, but otherwise mediocre at best. I’ll leave this thread now so you guys and gals can continue enjoying the game.

Galenmereth

DenDen

@Galenmereth
For me its so far game of the year,
But either his own, luckly I dont have the issues with the game you have.

Now playing

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic