Forums

Topic: Astral Chain

Posts 241 to 260 of 337

RR529

Cleared File 2 on PT Standard. I got a game over once during one of the boss fights, but otherwise I didn't have much trouble (used quite a bit of medicine to heal, but at least at this point in time, it seems to be generous enough with the stuff where I wasn't running too low).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

DenDen

@Galenmereth
For me its so far game of the year,
But either his own, luckly I dont have the issues with the game you have.

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

link3710

Okay, so I finished Astral Chain, here's my endgame rant:

So File 11 was incredible, as always from Platinum. Had a blast playing through it. But the story though...
1. They really need to dive deeper into the relationship with the legion. Everything that happened with Axe and Arrow legion at the end was really intriguing, but needs more to it. A lot of the postgame hints also show that that might get a much larger focus next game.
2. We FINALLY get Howard voiced right at the very end, are you kidding me? Do that all next game please, you actually managed to pique my interest in them, since it's clear they have a definite personality under all that silence.
3. Playable Lappy is hilarious, and I may be using it for some second run stuff.
4. I am (as always) so annoyed they didn't examine anything anything about the clones lives, what they were like, etc.
5. The pacing of the story was... off all game. Hopefully AC2 will be better with that since it won't have to do all that world building, and exploring the surface sounds like it could be a great way to grow the game naturally.
6. Having an actual postgame is wonderful, and something Platinum's games usually lack. Haven't played too much of it yet, still have a lot of revisiting old levels I want to do.
7. So during File 11 I finally, truly, clicked with the combat to an insane degree, cleaning up most of the end game fights without taking a single hit. There's a lot of synergy possibilities, and once you start chaining them together it's crazy. I want to play through the whole game again just now that I can fight like I can now. Also, I realized editing legion order and taking the skills relative to the order into account is key.

link3710

rallydefault

@Galenmereth
I appreciate hearing your opinion, though, because I'm still on the fence about purchasing. I'm a HUGE action gamer, so I know all-too-well what you mean about some action games just having super repetitive gameplay loops. Definitely not in the mood for that kind of action game at this point, especially for full price.

A good story isn't enough to redeem a game for me, usually. Light platforming can help, but it seems others are saying the platforming is not the most responsive.

I think the world is telling me to wait for a sale lol

rallydefault

NintendoByNature

@rallydefault while i respect galenmereth's opinion. Astral is not repetitive compared to other action games. Bayo is much more repetitive than astral chain. Astral has investigating, light platforming, motorcycle riding, and of course action. Most of the game is action and investigating though. So by no means did i personally feel it was repetitive. That's my opinion though. It was my favorite game of 2019 without a doubt and is worth full price. I got 18.5 hours out of it too.

NintendoByNature

RR529

Working my way through File 3, and man are these missions long! Since it auto saved, I put it down after Akira was dragged into the gate by the bow Legion.

When you get into a groove the action feels absolutely awesome (I even managed to get a couple S+ ranks). I felt like I really struggled through that Cerberus boss (didn't have to be revived, but I used quite a bit of healing items), though I still somehow got an A rank on it.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Quarth

I'm on the last file now. This game is a pure joy to play. Poor Fire Emblem: Three Houses has been resting since the launch of Astral Chain, and that's saying a lot about the addictive nature of AC, seeing as FE is a marvelous game too. But AC is the better game of the two, both being masterpieces.

I hope we'll get a sequel.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

link3710

@RR529 Part of the trick to high ranks in this game is using a varied moveset. The more things you pull out, the more bonus points you can rack up to make up for less than stellar fighting. Also, there's a few bonuses you might not realize exist, like you get more points for not using the IRIS at all during a fight, using at least one or at least three(?) item(s), and I'm pretty sure there's a bonus you get for consistently hitting the opponents non-weak spots, (not as nice as the weak spot bonus but it's there), and a few others I haven't even figured out exactly what they mean.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

@link3710 Having certain areas blocked off because you don't have the right legion on your first playthrough of that file helps with replayability too.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Quarth
But AC is the better game of the two, both being masterpieces

I thought long and hard, but ultimately I think I have to agree with you on this. And that’s really saying something because I loved Fire Emblem to death. I think Fire Emblem is a better game for getting absorbed into, with 200 hours of content, 4 separate playthroughs and multiple difficulty modes that change the tactical approach needed, with absorbing characters and splendid dialog... it’s the full package.

But Astral Chain, while shorter, and while not as engaging in terms of story or characters, is near flawless as far as I’m concerned. FE had some graphical shortcomings, a few stutters, and fell off a bit on the story ending (at least in Black Eagles), but Astral Chain is just ON POINT. In practically every aspect this game is on point. Gorgeous, beautiful graphics, rock solid framerate, killer action gameplay, engaging investigations, and the world building and story is not bad either. In fact I’d say it’s the best I’ve ever seen from Platinum Games to date.

It’s a hard choice. Fire Emblem Three Houses and Astral Chain are the two best games I’ve played this year, along with Final Fantasy X which I replayed again on Switch, Divinity Original Sin 2 (and by extension, these are all some of the best I’ve played in recent years). Choosing a favorite is like picking your favorite child... but if I had to, I’d say Astral Chain. And I didn’t honestly think I’d be saying that if you asked me a few weeks ago.

Now. Dragon Quest Builders 2? High honors as a runner up. Mario Maker 2? High honors as a runner up. Final Fantasy XII? Same. And I think Dragon Quest XI S, Ni No Kuni, The Witcher 3, Luigi’s Mansion 3, Zelda Link’s Awakening and Ori and the Blind Forest are ALL going to land in the general ballpark of “masterpiece I’ll remember and talk about for years to come”, but it’s going to be super, super hard to sort out which is actually “best”.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Quarth

@JaxonH Yeah, your analysis on why AC is just a little bit better than FE suits my take on it.

While FE has some apparent flaws (not game breaking by any means, but could have been improved before release), AC is nearly flawless in my book (sometimes the camera jumps around a little in the most heated battles, but it's mostly depends on my own (lack of) skills). I don't even mind the protagonist being silent (though he/she comes off as a little bit unemotional sometimes). The variety and polish of the gameplay is what makes this game stand out.

Next week we'll have Link's Awakening among many other games and while that one will certainly be a pleasure to play, I don't think it or any other game released this year (talking out of the perspective of someone who only plays Switch) will top Astral Chain for me. It's one of the best games I've ever played and will fit into my top list of greatest games ever.

My top 3 so far this year:
1. Astral Chain
2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
3. Super Mario Maker 2

rallydefault

Man, now things get complicated lol

I wish it had a demo.

If some are saying it's not as repetitive as Bayonetta, then I'll probably have no issue with it.

rallydefault

Quarth

@rallydefault Yeah, it has more variation than Bayonetta.

RR529

Just cleared File 3 this morning on Pt Standard. I managed to beat the chapter boss, the Arrow Legion, only using a few mini medicines, so I'm pretty proud of myself.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

DenDen

@rallydefault
Its far from repetitive.

Platoforming searching, shooting, even bike riding.
Very diffrent styles in fighting.
If you like bayonetta, you will LOVE this.
My goty so far

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Quarth

Just beat the game, only the bonus file left.

The last battle was epic as hell. WOW!

This is, without a doubt, the best game I've played this year. Seriously, this is a success on so many levels. It has been on my mind ever since I bought it and will remain long after I beat it. I hope it is getting a sequel.

10/10

Again... WOW!

Edited on by Quarth

JaxonH

@Quarth
That’s what I’m talking about! Epic final battles are Platinum’s strongest suit.

To this day, the final battle in Wonderful 101 stands as the most epic boss I’ve ever had the privilege of fighting. If I manage to get to the end of this game, I’ll be eager to see how it stacks up!

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Quarth

@JaxonH Yeah, I remember the final battles in Bayonetta 1 and 2 being grand as well! Have you beaten AC yet?

Though the story contains a lot of clichés (obvious villain is obvious), I'm glad they didn't went with the trope "person everyone thought was dead returns to save the day" with the dad character (if he doesn't somehow return in the bonus file). But it was somehow implied during the final boss battle that his spirit "lives" through his former Legion (the Axe one).

Edited on by Quarth

JaxonH

@Quarth
No, like I said if I get to the end of this game I’ll be eager to see how it plays out.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic