Forums

Topic: ARMS

Posts 961 to 980 of 1,369

NEStalgia

@meleebrawler I hadn't thought about that part.

I still can't stand the 3-way fights. It inevitably comes down to either one player successfully hiding while the other two focus on each other, and then the hider cleaning up the trash at the end, or the flip side, one player getting ganged up on by BOTH opponents without ever a chance to get up.

I also discovered accidentally that the tethered teammates mode features friendly fire! I had no idea! that finally explains why I seem to keep getting pummeled even though I saw nobody punching. My own darned teammate is whacking me in the back

Still not sure how I feel about the "arms getter" process. It seems wrong to enter ranked when opponents have more weapon combination possibilities than others based squarely on hours played * wins earned, + luck in the getter. It's Spyke all over again. Granted, I seem to win more often than lose against odd weapon mixes so it might not really affect fairness....but it still seems wrong for the balance to have a random weapon acquisition (where it's even for a random character!)

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

ARMS: Halo Edition - Every time you KO a teammate, an announcer calls you a huge jerk!

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JoyBoy

Wow. So much fun. I just brawled someone in rank mode for 2 hours straight, if not more.

The fights were really dynamic, really close, we were evenly matched. He would win, I would win, draws and some real nerve wrecking close calls. I think we both improved every match, it was so fun to experience.

I've not yet played much, I'm rank 7 but I can already tell this game is super awesome.

Btw, am I the only one who plays just with the standard red (springman) toaster(i think?)gloves? Both left and right. I have to say, I'm doing pretty well with just those.

Also, like some already pointed out. I'm super impressed with the smooth online. I have no hiccups or lag or anything.

Great game.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

TuVictus

So before you guys gave me the good strategy of using my flurry when my opponent is in the air, does anyone have any tips for players that spend 99% of their time dashing/jumping from side to side to evade next to every single one of my punches? I'm at my wit's end

TuVictus

JoyBoy

@Operative2-0 Curve your punches, maybe use those ARMS that attack from the side. For example; use your left ARM to force him to go right and follow up with your right arm.

Letting him/her attack first is also good because they lose their mobility.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

NEStalgia

@Spanjard I've seen plenty of lag (punches going through people or weirder) and opponents disconnecting..... but it was clearly on their end. Playing Japan shows definite lag (it's better where you a are located though.)

And yeah I'm a big fan of dual - same weapons in many cases unless a specific pairing really soaks to me. I'm not a spring man player but when i do i use dual toasters too!

@Operative2-0 I'm one of those jumping/dashing players it's tricky because you really just need to time it right. The jumping leaves lots of openings, but you have to predict well and see them. Flurries are our downfall. We're open to them and easily caught by them if we stay in range when you're charged.

NEStalgia

TuVictus

Yeah I've reached a plateau in my skill and I have no clue what to do now. I can't get through level 6 Grand Prix and the ranked players are out-maneuvering me. I'm feeling very discouraged, I need some wins to make me want to play more and I just can't get them

TuVictus

NEStalgia

@Operative2-0 IMO, the AI plays very different to real players. I haven't played lv6, only lv5, but the tactics and pacing imo aren't helpful against humans. I've played only to lv6 ranked, but against a lot of lv7 opponents and while i beat them all it was VERY close calls. I'm not great

But id spend a lot more time in party mode if ranked isn't doing it for you (assuming you're not already a higher rank than me) since the alternating of opponents becoming teammates can give some insight into tactics.

That said in the last 3 days I've seen the tactics in use change up dramatically. And I've seen the introduction of a lot more Japanese players, and like with splatoon their tactics seem very different. It took me a bit of adapting to their seemingly more evasive play style. They stay out of range more and tend not to punch to pressure but to wait you out and dance around you.

Edited for autocorrect clarity.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

TuVictus

I think I'll stick to party mode like you suggested, cuz if I'm not being dodged at every turn by the AI I'm being out run by quick dashers in the ranked mode, haha. So I need to just play for fun for a while

TuVictus

meleebrawler

@NEStalgia Look at it this way. Between all characters and their default loadouts, you have every single type of arm in the game. So you can't really blame losses on something unfamiliar thrown your way. Plus, this "randomness" is nothing compared to Smash, which does nothing to keep you from getting useless duplicates. And here's a tip: if you really want to get arms for a particular character, play a bunch of short rounds with him or her. The first gift that spawns is always one for the character playing, unless they have already earned every possible arm (including upgrades).

@Spanjard I personally use Buffs/Bubbs for Springman instead. While Toasters are indeed powerful weapons, they don't offer much in the way of followups when charged, something that is exacerbated when Spring Man enters crisis mode. The Buffs still deal respectable damage, while offering the possibility to link into a flurry (thanks to fist version's speed), and that isn't lost at low health. With it's size and flexible curving, and a Phoenix to act as my "hook", I can often nail the slipperiest of opponents.

I haven't really met any japanese players in ranked yet, but I have noticed (hovering at the beginning of 9 currently) that a lot of them have severe problems with changing up strategies. No matter how often they get countered they still keep on using the same tricks, only to get countered some more.

I also noticed how Master Mummy completely and utterly laughs at puny zoning strategies. Which is super-ironic considering that is usually the primary weakness of these types of characters (big, slow heavy grapplers). After struggling a bit against a Twintelle's Seekie barrage with Byte & Barq, I switched to Mummy for the rematch, and barely took any damage as I guarded and intercepted the missiles with his Megaton arm, while sneaking a Thunder Bird around. (This would also inspire me to pack some Whammers on Byte & Barq for added defence, which I feel improved my game with them somewhat).

Edited on by meleebrawler

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Mylie

Must say, really enjoying so far. Tried out the test punch but I was useless. I tried to match mayhem with mayhem and was overwhelmed each time. Since then I’ve adopted more of a Mayweather style. I like to slow things down and stay just out of reach with simple side steps and back tracking, while returning single jabs or grabs. I imagine this absolutely infuriates those who come across my path, but hey, it’s all about the W.

Mylie

Jhena

First day playing with mechanicha. Much better than master mummy and at least until level 5 difficulty the ki cant handle the 3 shot electroweapon (electromatic?). And her son goku cry when she unleashes the special attack is also awesome.^^

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

Kogorn733

How good is this game? A little on the fence, as I'm not all that into Multiplayer titles aside from Smash, Mario Kart, and occasionally Tekken.

Kogorn733

NEStalgia

@Reverandjames The full price is for what you're getting in the total package AFTER the drip feed. They already made it, they're just not activating it for play yet in order to curate the online meta. That can be controversial as a policy, whether it produces a better experience by evolving the meta slowly, or by dumping everything at once, but the purchase price is to pay for the full content that you're going to get through the "life cycle" of the game. If there isn't much over the life cycle and it's still bare bones, then it's fair to say it wasn't worth the money.

They did confirm new modes will be coming, however, a story campaign will not. Sadly, fighters these days, short of Pokken and DoA, just aren't doing that. It's an artifact of the genre. I'd rather have seen one in the game, but we all knew before buying that arcade mode was the single player (heck, a lot of fighters these days don't even have THAT...)

NEStalgia

meleebrawler

@NEStalgia Well, Tekken 7 and the upcoming Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite do have story modes. But the difference for those is that they have either been around for a long time, or have well established plots and characters to draw upon in the case of the latter. ARMs is still establishing, carving an identity for itself in both it's gameplay and world-building. The framework is being set, and chances are we will see more detailed plot lines in future installments.

...But if you ask me, fighting game story modes tend to be just glorified arcade modes with lots of cutscenes (and occasionally unfair conditions), or at most shifts the gameplay to a beat-em-up style.

Edited on by meleebrawler

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

NEStalgia

@meleebrawler I agree with what fighting game story modes are......though I don't mind them. I do agree with james in the sense that I prefer having a fleshed out story mode for a fighting game. It's a glorified arcade mode but it gives it a sense of space and presence, even if it makes no real sense to do so. It gives the game a home console meaning to exist for those that aren't into competitive play. Something the older arcade focused games that started the genre didn't need to worry about.

It's clear Arms is super online focused. The Arcade mode couldn't be more bare bones, and even Biff is just chintzy. He had better value in the Directs. But it least it has arcade mode. Though I'd argue Splatoon 1's solo campaign, though it used unique assets and some unique gameplay was scarcely a campaign as well....didn't hurt impressions of that game.

NEStalgia

MikeTS

I'm trying to complete the level 4 Grand Prix so I can play the ranked mode but I can only win the first couple rounds then I lose. In fact last night I won my first match against Byte & Barg with a perfect score and then lost the next two and lost.

MikeTS

TuVictus

They also need a way to allow you and a friend to group up for Party mode similar to how it is when you play online locally. I joined bf in party mode and the RNG never put us together. It treated us as two strangers

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic