Forums

Topic: ARMS

Posts 961 to 980 of 1,073

Linoshi

Part of me feel like arms should of been released in autumn or winter. We are currently having a bit of a heatwave in England and its incredibly hard to play much of the game without getting too hot.

Linoshi

Linoshi

@Joeynator3000 I am fully aware but it's clearly not how they really intend you to play the game nor is it anywhere near as fun.

Linoshi

MikeTS

I'm looking forward to playing this game, buying it tomorrow after work. One of my close friends already has it, he bought the yellow joy-cons with it too. I'm just buying the game, the yellow joy-cons don't interest me.

MikeTS

NEStalgia

@meleebrawler yeah, I'm finding that getting in close is really advantageous...... and dangerous. Especially for grabs and slower arms. I'm working on lv5 ai now before going ranked again. Ninjara was owning me online.... But i still sick as him. His vanishing act on block arms to leave him vulnerable to the next hit.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Linoshi not sure they "intend" it to be played with motion. They advertise it that way because its most unique and fun to the wide market, but we all know any esports (PR invitationals aside) will be using wired pro controllers

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

It'd love to see the list of voice actors. I think mechanica is the kids from botw. And Max brass is DK i bet. Ribbon girl sounds familiar, butt i can't place from where. I love that the singer of the main theme second verse is her

Edit: mobile typing sucks.....i get the weirdest typos. Nougat made it worse!

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

meleebrawler

@NEStalgia You can control which way Ninjara warps after a guard by holding a direction, which should help avoid followups. Be mindful of the state of your opponent's arms before you try to counter, though!

All characters can do essentially the same thing by dashing just after blocking attacks. Difference for Ninjara is that it is automatic and he goes further than most.

Also it turns out every character can dash twice in the air, but only Ribbon Girl and Twintelle can pull it off without the assistance of trampolines. And for everyone but Twintelle, the second dash barely keeps you up in the air, so you plummet while dashing.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

shani

Linoshi wrote:

We are currently having a bit of a heatwave in England and its incredibly hard to play much of the game without getting too hot.

I actually play with the ventilator running.

Linoshi wrote:

@Joeynator3000 I am fully aware but it's clearly not how they really intend you to play the game nor is it anywhere near as fun.

I completely agree on that. Not only is playing with button controls less fun, it's also disadvantageous (at least for me).

NEStalgia wrote:

They advertise it that way because its most unique and fun to the wide market, but we all know any esports (PR invitationals aside) will be using wired pro controllers

Why would they? Are you referring to that myth of latency with wireless controllers? That problem was fixed a long time ago (probably 10-15 years). Some pro players in some games might still prefer wired controllers, but there's no rational reason for that. I don't think anyone plays Splatoon with a wired controller either.

NEStalgia wrote:

It'd love to see the list of voice actors.
Edit: mobile typing sucks.....i get the weirdest typos. Nougat made it worse!

About the VA: Is anyone else disappointed that Biff has no voice acting in the game? Despite him talking in all the promotional trailers? I don't get how they could do that. I was totally expecting him commentator to have VA... he's the commentator, after all.
But I agree on touchscreen typing. That's why I prefer phones with hardware keyboards.

Edited on by shani

xPH03N1Xx86

Got it on Friday, immediately did the Gran Prix and rank 4. Min Min gave me such a hard time.

But dang, do I get whooped at ranked. Twintelle gave me alot of trouble.

Meow. :3

Nintendo Network ID: xPH03N1Xx86

thms3rd

hopefully Arms can sell a few million switch systems. if the switch manages to sell over 6 million this year it will look really attractive to 3rd party developers

thms3rd

NEStalgia

@meleebrawler he seems to be vulnerable to the next hit where other characters aren't though.

Might be more relevant against lv5+ ai though. Yikes, lv5....

And i don't think using stage features counts as dashing twice

I have such a hard time with the ai in particular pretty much never getting specials use wrong.... It's always during an opening where humans may get it wrong. And they block grabs way more than real human reflexes can.

@shani yeah latency. Real or not, esports types believe in it and 100% of competition grade controllers and especially fight sticks are wired only as a result. even the official pro controller supports wired use specifically to cater to splatoon and probably arms esports. It's why the cables in the box.

Tho for competition, there's a lot of wireless devices competing..... inputs might get lost. Treehouse was using modded weird joycons on the convention floor due to that.

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

shani

NEStalgia wrote:

It's why the cables in the box.

Tho for competition, there's a lot of wireless devices competing..... inputs might get lost. Treehouse was using modded weird joycons on the convention floor due to that.

Tbh honest I always assumed the cable was only there for charging the controller. ^^

Unless we're talking about something like E3 where a lot of controllers and mobile phones are active, I don't think signals can be lost with today's wireless hardware.
But regarding the wired Joycons at E3: the Treehouse Staff said these were there for development reasons. Maybe something like Dev-Kits.

meleebrawler

@NEStalgia Yeah, I know, and it does give him some problems dealing with certain flurries, like chakrams or tri-shots. But also means his guard technically cannot be broken (only by disabling an arm through damage) and avoids all chip damage.

An easy tip for using flurries on the AI: wait for them to jump. They put little to no effort in dodging them, always attempting to block instead, so in the air they are wide open. For those with advanced air mobility, wait for them to exhaust their options or attack before unleashing.

And if Byte jumps off Barq to air-dash twice, does that count? Speaking of, it turns out you CAN control the latter to a certain extent. Someone here mentioned Barq moving directly in front of Byte when he is guarding, and if you air-dash towards him while being reasonably close, he'll (try to) automatically position himself for you to jump off of.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

rk3388

@thms3rd
It is inevitable for the Switch to sell 6 million consoles by the end of they year. I would be shocked if they didn't. I believe the current number is resting around the 4 million mark.

Unfortunately I don't know if ARMs is going to be a "system-seller". I pre-ordered it and I'm having quite a bit of fun, but definitely think it could use a few more characters and stages (which I believe it will) just to make it feel more like a complete experience. It will definitely increase the attach rate of games though.

rk3388

SLIGEACH_EIRE

ARMS reached number 2 in the "Individual" and "All Formats" UK charts.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

JasmineDragon

@shani Personally, I'm tremendously glad Biff doesn't have that voice in the game. I hated the voice in the introductory videos and would have hated it even more if I had to hear it every time I played. That cheesy "old-time newscast" voiceover annoys me every time I watch the Legend of Korra and it's one of the reasons I never got into Star Wars: the Clone Wars. It's like nails on a blackboard to me.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364

SMODomite

@Linoshi I can see that being an issue in London, but luckily for us in the USA, everywhere is air conditioned indoors...When I visited London in the Summer I was dying since most places didn't use air conditioning, I stayed in Harrods one day for like 3 hours just for the a/c haha

SMODomite

CorvoRevo

@SMODomite too bad for Global Warming.

“Above all, video games are meant to just be one thing: Fun for everyone.” S.Iwata

Nintendo Network ID: CorvoRevo | Twitter:

SMODomite

@CorvoRevo Yeah I will do what I can to help against global warming, but giving up my A/C just isn't going to happen.

SMODomite

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic