Forums

Topic: ARMS

Posts 961 to 980 of 1,427

chardir

@NEStalgia I'm really enjoying Byte & Barq. Barq can be really useful, getting extra hits in and often blocking incoming punches or the first hit of a rush. He's an extra thing the opponent has to keep an eye on.

@MyNameIsRandy I believe ranks go up to 15, though I'm nowhere near that myself.

Friend Code: SW-1014-2011-3950 (Switch name: Dii)
Currently playing: Snake Pass, Fast RMX, Splatoon 2, ARMS

chardir

@Linoshi The AI has quick reactions. The way to get a rush to hit is to use it in response to them punching or jumping, so they can't block, or just get in really close so they don't have time.

mav-i-am

Sorry if this has been answered already (it is a 52 page thread now!)

Is this worth playing with a single joycon for each player?

Switch games list,

Legend of Zelda BotW, Human resource machine, NBA Playgrounds, Street Fighter 2, Super Bomberman R, Snipperclips, Overcooked, World of Goo.

Nintendo Network ID: mav-i-am | Twitter:

Linoshi

@mav-i-am I had a friend over to try this and we both found this method extremely...odd feeling. It didn't feel right at all and we quickly gave up.

@chardir Thanks for the tips.

Edited on by Linoshi

Linoshi

JasmineDragon

Flashman wrote:

I loved this game.... right up till I got beaten 3 times in a row by my 9 year old niece. Going back to Mariokart so at least I can beat her on that ha ha

Yay, I'm not the only one! My 9YO daughter was stomping me so hard when we started playing ARMS! After some more practice on my part we're about 50-50, but at first she would completely own me. Don't underestimate 9 year old gamer girls - their reaction times are freaky good!

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Current location: Skyrim

ThomGee

Does anyone else think ARMS is a little too light on content? I get that more will be added ala Splatoon, but Splatoon seemed to have more at launch than ARMS, and had much more plentiful updates to boot. Sure, Ranked will keep me busy for a month, as I'm all about getting a high rank, but I don't know if it's enough to keep me playing for years like Splatoon did. Anyone else notice this?

I, for one, welcome our new Nintendo overlords.

Switch FC: SW-7745-4331-2226

My Nintendo: Strix | Nintendo Network ID: WakerOfWindsHD

Zyrac

@Nintendoer Honestly, I think this feeling is just due to the nature of fighting games. ARMS has more variety in stages and weapons than Splatoon did at launch, but with gameplay built around 1v1 player interaction, there's only so much you can do to mix things up, especially with the simple mechanics here.

Available for online play around 7-10PM UK time most weekdays, whenever on weekends.
Pullblox levels | Fallblox levels | Ful...

Switch Friend Code: SW-6987-6502-7004 | 3DS Friend Code: 0044-3085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: Zyrac23 | Twitter:

chardir

@Nintendoer Well, technically Splatoon didn't even have ranked at launch But no, I doubt Arms is going to get that much more content. We'll get a few new arms and characters but I doubt there'll be any new game modes.

ThomGee

@Zyrac @chardir Yeah, fighting games are a bit more repetitive than team shooters. I doubt they could really do any more modes either, besides the Spectator mode we know is coming.

NEStalgia

@Nintendoer Well, it's a fighting game, not a team shooter. The nature of fighting games are that they're content-lean. It's what kept me out of the genre for the past few decades until Switch somehow inspired an interest in it. But it's niche. Street Fighter II has little more than a handful of stages and characters with a handful of basic moves, and some custom moves per character, yet 30 years later, lots of folks are still running tournaments and buying the latest and greatest version of the game, Nintendo Tax included. It's just how the genre works. Same for Pokken.

@chardir IIRC Yabuki already said they'll be adding characters and modes. It might have been a bad translation, of course, but it sounds like there are additional modes planned.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@JasmineDragon That's an interesting thought. It always was the thing that children have much better reaction times than adults. That's something that used to be one of the reasons video games were for kids and adults wouldn't touch them. But I haven't heard that mentioned in AGES. That's probably why playing on Nintendo can be frustrating, all those darned quick impulse kids Yet competition pros are certainly older....so I'm guessing at some point strategy outweighs reflex.

NEStalgia

ThomGee

@NEStalgia Yeah, it's true. The main focus of fighting games is to refine, not add, but I do hope more is added to the game.

As for the pro players are usually older, I'd chalk that up kids don't have the time or simply don't want to be pros. Most pros can make pro gaming their job, while kids have school, and most pros have the discipline to devote themselves to a game, but kids just lack that attention span for the most part. It's not that younger people can't be pros, it's just that they aren't pros.

Count how many times I said pro in that. I swear it's over a hundred times.

NEStalgia

@Nintendoer I don't know, it always seems to me like kids are the ones that can manage to spend ridiculous amounts of times playing games, perfecting their play constantly, and still manage to be in 4 after school activities, and acing classes 4 grade levels above them

Maybe they're just 10x smarter than us these days?

NEStalgia

ThomGee

@NEStalgia Trust me, that is not the case at all.

ThomGee

Probably both.

ThomGee

Anyways, I think I found my perfect character and ARMS combo. I use Kid Cobra and my ARMS slots are made up of the Retorcher/Ice Dragon, Seekie, and Coolerang. I especially enjoy using the Seekie and Coolerang combo, as they perfectly compliment each other, but if the enemy turns out to be really evasive, I'll hit them with an Ice Dragon.

Spennymoor

Just to say - fantastic game. Big N does it again. Not a fighting game guy but this pushing all kinds of buttons. (main = spring man)

Spennymoor

meleebrawler

@Nintendoer You stole my Byte & Barq combo!!! But in all seriousness, I'm thinking of trading the Seekie for a Homie. While the former can potentially give you free hits with it's explosion, it can also backfire on you spectacularly by stunning you on an unfortunate premature detonation. Factor in only getting the paralysis on a blast radius hit and the weapon's preference to long range, limiting followups, it may not be the most reliable weapon. And while the Homie can blow up on you too, at least it doesn't stun you much when it does.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

NEStalgia

@Nintendoer Yeah I like the Coolerang on Cobra, but I pair it with that anti-air vertical 3-shot one (forget the name.) That's one of my mains, along with Min Min and a pair of Ramrams, Ninjara with the 3-shot thing and the curved spinner thing, and my "main main" Ribbon girl with a pair of poppers. I like fast moving characters that can hit hard and fast

Side note. Is it just me or does every single Arms lobby have someone playing named Ethan? It's the weirdest thing. Almost every time I play there's an Ethan in there. There's another name or two that seems to pop up more often than not as well.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic