Forums

Topic: ARMS

Posts 961 to 980 of 1,254

MyNameIsRandy

Anybody else playing a lot of the ranked matches? What's the highest ranking? I've made it to 8, but that took a while and might be hard to keep.

SW-3961-9294-9210

Ryu_Niiyama

@NEStalgia bwahaha learning a fighting game takes time. I'm more fighting with myself than the AI. I have some curving and timing mistepps. And I need to find the ARMS set that works for me.

Taiko is good for the soul. Let the drums fill you with FIRE! Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Switch FC: SW-2230-0265-0353
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14 I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.
Villanova University: 2016 NCAA Champs! GO NOVA NATION! 2008 Alumna

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JasmineDragon

I'm trying to complete Level 3 with Mechanica, having found that I do better fighting my daughter with her than with any other character. Levels 1 and 2 were easy peasy, but L3 is slow going - I win some rounds in a minute but can't get anywhere in the second and third rounds. I was stuck on Hoops vs. Ribbon Girl for two days! Hoops is definitely not Mechanica's game...

Venturing into Party mode occasionally with various characters. I lose more than I win, but I'm learning. This game has a lot more depth than I originally gave it credit for.

My kid is loving it, soaking up the lore like a sponge and pounding away with motion controls. She looks hilarious but she is a great fighter. She took Twintelle as her main the second she saw her in the second Testpunch, only occasionally using the other fighters for variety. I've never seen her get so into a game. Fighting games are really not my prefered genre, but the kid is all over them. She hasn't gone online much since the Testpunch, but y'all better watch out when she starts. Kid has killer reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364

NEStalgia

So who else has Ribbon Girl's singing voice stuck in their head 24 hours a day, even waking up to it in their head in the middle of the night. "Na nah nahh." It's getting annoying....curse that theme song and Ribbon Ring!!

@Ryu_Niiyama My curving missteps are continuous And my timing. But I'm not a fighting game vet, so I expect that from me!

One thing driving me crazy is the whole weapons upgrade thing.....I haven't bought anything yet, but I end up partly choosing characters based on their 3 starting arms more than the characters. I'm not sure how you deal with buying other weapons for any character, and I'm not sure I like the idea you can upgrade the power of a weapon (I.E. fighting in party mode (or even ranked?) against people who's same weapon is stronger just because they've played more hours and spent coins on it.... ) But I haven't even TOUCHED the purchasing system yet, and may not even change the default arms on my characters, just switching characters to change weapons.

I do think the AI fights very differently from humans though. No less fun, but I'm finding I need to fight differently. So far most characters are getting destroyed in Lv5 except Mechanica that I'm up to round 8. (Not looking forward to solo lv5 hedlock...my online teams get obliterated 3v1.) But I get ruined playing mechanica online, but seem to be decent with Ribbon, Ninjara, Min Min, Cobra.... I can do Twintelle ok for both, but don't enjoy playing her too much.

The AI in this game is so brutal!

Though I almost don't care about ranked. I'm up to Lv3 Pinwheel, and my last fight to get there was against a Lv4 playing byte and barq that I absolutely trashed....which feels wrong because lv1's were trashing me the other day. But somehow party mode is so fun that ranked isn't appealing. The nodding and winking rivalries in the lobby are weirdly fun, and every lobby seems to have one or two players that are top notch so you keep getting rematches against them in random times. It was really rewarding trouncing the Master Mummy that kept hiding in the corner and healing and deflecting the grab attempts once I figured out how to find an opening. Or the handful of 3 way matches that I cleaned up the floor with only a shred of health remaining (and finishing off the little snot that tried hiding in the corner with full health while the other two battle it out ) Ranked seems bland in contrast.

NEStalgia

chardir

I'm really enjoying party mode. It's a shame there isn't some variety in ranked mode, or separate ranked modes for 1v1v1/minigames/whatever.

Friend Code: SW-1014-2011-3950
Currently playing: Splatoon 2, ARMS

meleebrawler

@JasmineDragon You have to play very safe against the AI, spacing as much as you can. For Hoops, forget trying to grab them unless you're absolutely sure you can get them (via shocking or other disable). Just keep throwing punches from afar until you get your flurry, then fire that off on a smaller opening to get a three-pointer and slam on the defense for the rest of the match.

@NEStalgia You can only upgrade weapons once, for a small 10 damage increase. And unlike Smash, you won't get stuck getting useless duplicates near the end, they're taken out of the selection entirely. So everyone has a fair shot of collecting all arms.

I get that you're afraid customization will take away some of the character's individuality, but it can really open doors for new strategies with them. Master Mummy, for instance. You could go with an ice-wind combo like Chilla-Popper for strong keepaway and holding leads with his healing, or move in with a shock arm to help land those damaging grabs, with an anti-air Hydra to keep them honest about jumping.

There's not much distinction between level 1 ranked and level 4 with how easy it is to raise at that point. And rank is never a perfect gauge of skill in fighting games anyway. Just because they haven't gone on ranked to increase it yet does not mean they haven't been honing their skills in other modes.

Face it, the other modes just aren't conducive to competitive play because the game is not balanced around those. Shock arms give a huge advantage in Hoops, and slow characters like Mummy really stink at it (especially since the latter's healing is now useless). V-Ball is often decided by unfair coin-flips, and Skillshot again favors particular arms, this time of the spread variety.

I enjoy Party mode as much as the next guy, but the random elements can really wear on you after a while. Ranked gives a respite from that, and really lets you get into a groove with multiple rounds.

Edited on by meleebrawler

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

-Green-

So I don't actually plan on getting this game. I enjoyed what I saw and played, but I had a hunch that I won't play it.

How are the ranked matches in this game? From what I heard they're apparently awful. The streamers I watched said that the games turn into sessions of cat and mouse. With it basically being that it comes down to one player landing a few hit(s) on you and running away the rest of the match to win by time out. They also said that the game doesn't reward offensive moves enough, and that it's overall pretty bad. How true is that? Like I said, I wouldn't actually know.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Operative2-0

I managed to beat level 5 with Mechanica after some time. I think electricity is by far my favorite of the elemental charges.

Operative2-0

jump

-Green- wrote:

So I don't actually plan on getting this game. I enjoyed what I saw and played, but I had a hunch that I won't play it.

How are the ranked matches in this game? From what I heard they're apparently awful. The streamers I watched said that the games turn into sessions of cat and mouse. With it basically being that it comes down to one player landing a few hit(s) on you and running away the rest of the match to win by time out. They also said that the game doesn't reward offensive moves enough, and that it's overall pretty bad. How true is that? Like I said, I wouldn't actually know.

The people I've played against who go for a time out win just lose.

I suppose there's some truth to the not offensive enough notion but I find it's because the game is alot easier once you figure out how best to block/dodge and apply it to the triangle of block-throw-punch.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

meleebrawler

@-Green- While it's true that time-outs are not an uncommon occurrence, the notion that all you have to do to win is land a few hits and run away for the whole match is laughable (except in free-for-alls, and maybe Kid Cobra's stage with the snakeboards). If this tactic is working on you, then you need to reconsider your arm selection, strategy and-or ability to read patterns. And if you still can't find openings, throwing punches while your opponent is running scared builds your special, which can nail them with the smallest of openings (read: when they jump).

People do sometimes run to win by time-out, but only when it is close to running out and they have a narrow lead. This happens in any fighting game. Never have I seen anyone in ARMs make that their main strategy. I can only assume these people are just overreacting to tactics that beat them like they always do with new games.

@Operative2-0 Electricity is purposefully strong. Arms that use it deal lower damage than comparable ones. They lend themselves better to aggression because of this, since otherwise you won't get as much out of them.

NEStalgia

@meleebrawler Actually I originally loved the idea of weapon customization ala Splatoon. I actually began liking the idea less once I started actually playing the game. I imagined the weapons, like Splatoon, really determine how you play it, but once I realized it's a more technical fighter than it appeared, I liked the idea of set weapons per character. Whats REALLY the difference between Min Min, Cobra, Ninjara, and Cobra if they have the same weapons? I mean, yes Ninja has the smoke puff, Cobra has the rapid dash when charged, and Min Min has the kick away a puch (I'm not even sure that's useful...) move....but overall with the same weapons, they're all going to play extremely similarly. Maybe less so for Ninjara since he's more about psyching out the opponent.

Well, yeah, I'm not a fan of hoops, skillshot, and vball, honestly. I dread getting those in party mode. But the party mode fights and lobby rivalries are still a lot more fun than the random "sit on the menu until a challenger appears, then either fight the same one again or move to the next one" There's that looming sense that you may or may not face them again. I'd have loved to see a bracket system instead of a rank system for ranked.....it somehow fits the game really well, and party has more that aspect. Maybe because it's so well set up like a boxing promotion which would of course be bracketed.

@-Green- It's only cat and mouse if you don't get caught. Hiding isn't really a good strategy in this game, your opponent can just corner you. And if you're both actively attacking/dodging, then it's not actually cat and mouse hiding but dodging and trading blows. Sure, whoever is ahead is going to try to defend and avoid risking more damage. So the opponent is on the offensive trying to whittle them down. You know...like any boxing? Sure you may be able to run out the clock but it's not exactly passive...it's frantically trying to dodge punches while the other frantically tries to land them. Either the dodger or the attacker will be the better player. No different than Street Fighter, just a bigger map.

Not sure what they mean by not rewarding offensive moves.....every move but dashing is offensive. Guarding is important but dangerous since it leaves you open for grabs which break guard. It's not a particularly defensive game.

I'd say it really embodies Ali's philosophy for real boxing well of "float like a butterfly, sting like a bee." It's best if you can stay nimble, stay moving, and stay out of range....then close in and strike, and float away again if you can.

If you're not being offensive, you're not knocking down your opponent's health. If you're not knocking down their health you can't win. If you're the one ahead and are trying to hide, and you MANAGE to not get hit again, then you earned that win - it's difficult. If you're the one behind and can't hit them...well they earned that win

If there are any real complaints about the game it's not the pacing so much as potential balance issues with some characters (which I'm sure will get appropriate buffs/nerfs when Max Brass is released.

NEStalgia

Operative2-0

Good points about the cat and mouse. Yeah, even if someone were to do that, there's always ways around it. Even if they block when you use your special, you do damage. Eventually they'll slip up and have to move, giving you more openings. I think running away is an easily punishable strategy.

Operative2-0

meleebrawler

@NEStalgia Min-Min's air kicks move her further in the air than other character's air dashes. In addition, her backdash, normally a poor option to dodge punches is covered by one, giving her added defense. Ninjara has a fast walk speed and ground dash recovery, giving him more rounded mobility compared to Cobra being slow in certain areas with huge bursts. Cobra's air mobility also isn't very flexible with a poor air-dash, despite being able to jump far naturally.

It's your prerogative if you want to stick to defaults, play how you want is basically the game's (and the Switch's!) unofficial motto. But you can still customize them in such a way that your characters still feel distinct from each other.

I haven't really noticed much balance issues with the characters. Only Master Mummy strikes me as being somewhat lacking; his armor doesn't stand up to the majority of charge attacks and he obviously can't dodge well. I'd personally kick it up a notch to be more like Party mode Hedlok. Or give him a temporary speed boost after guarding in addition to healing.

@Operative2-0 Not to mention the grazing hits landed on the opponent's arms can weaken their guard even if they run a lot, allowing it to be broken by your eventual flurry.

NEStalgia

@meleebrawler mummy also had an issue in pairs mode that his model size obstructs his teammates view..... that's really annoying as the teammate

Bytebarq seems reallyy imbalanced (weak) as well. I have yet to see any player really doing great with him. Could be learning curve though.

NEStalgia

Zyrac

@meleebrawler Master Mummy just needs to keep his distance and make the most of his healing. An ability that essentially forces the opponent to make a move can be quite potent if used well. The only potential issue, I think, is that if the opponent does get up in his face it becomes rather difficult for him to do much.

Right now I do feel like the game is a bit slanted towards defensive play - or perhaps the word would be reactive. Since you can't defend with an arm extended, throwing the first punch leaves you pretty open. It therefore seems as if the best strategy is often just to wait for your opponent to do something so you can punish them. Hopefully, though, as people improve we'll start to see better ways of mounting an offense.

Pullblox levels | Fallblox levels | Fullblox levels | Mario Maker levels
ACNL Dream Address: 6E00 000F 65D2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6987-6502-7004 | 3DS Friend Code: 0044-3085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: Zyrac23 | Twitter:

meleebrawler

@NEStalgia He (or rather they) happen(s) to be one of my mains. Barq can sometimes be unreliable, especially on uneven terrain, but he is invaluable at relieving Byte of wakeup pressure, even if that comes in the form of the opponent taking time to knock him out. The ability to jump super-high in the opponent's face is also a powerful move, easily throwing your opponent's punches off-target (if the jump itself doesn't deflect them harmlessly). It works well with his default Cracker, for painful surprise attacks. But of course, nothing is more surprising than Barq himself, especially when he manages to release you from a grab or sneak in a KO.

I like to fight primarily at range with his Seekie, and a Coolerang to help keep the opponent there, or a Cracker if the opponent is particularly adept at approaching. This way, Barq trampoline attacks keep their element of surprise.

@Zyrac True... I feel equipping him with a Hydra is a sensible choice for it's speed, vertical coverage and power, easily deflecting oncoming grabs and keeping opponents from being too jump-happy near him. And now that I've unlocked the sneaky Thunder Bird for him... hehehe...

MyNameIsRandy

@Nintendoer
You might just be good. At level 8, wins and loses count close to the same(also seems to be where I'm going to stay for a while). So maybe wins and loses count the same at 9 and 10 is the highest you can get. I was wondering if anyone figured that out.

SW-3961-9294-9210

SuperWeird

The more I play ARMS the more I like it. Was actually bored with the global testpunch, but since I bought it I've learned to really really like it. It's a fantastic fighting game that's really weird. I'm a big fan of fighting games and this one is legit. Worth buying a Switch for.

SuperWeird

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic