Forums

Topic: ARMS

Posts 661 to 680 of 1,369

veeflames

Oh wow, it seems like Nintendo weren't kidding when they said they were going to match you up with players of the same skill this time. While I still held up, some of the matches were really tough. Just today I learnt that more skilled Ninjara players tend to come up close to you while blocking your special, leaving no room for retaliation. Like, wut. And I think it's not just me, either. In the lobby I was everyone was struggling to rack up points. Yesterday I easily reached 60+ points, but it took me and literally everyone else in the lobby to get to 60. The highest was a 70, if I recall correctly.

But yeah, it was another fun (albeit very challenging and somewhat frustrating) round. Hedlock Lv. 6 was a beast to fight (yeah, he has 6 arms, so...). Hoops and Skillshot are 50 times better than V-Ball because in you can ACTUALLY engage your opponents in both Hoops and Skillshots and, thus, formulate better strategies on winning. Instead of being the grabfest that Hoops was advertised to be, my opponents and I threw in regular punches and even specials to spice up the formula (to throw either of us out, basically). Skillshot's a matter of disabling your opponent to punch those targets for yourself. I found that Twintelle's bird arms were really effective in Hoops because they still attack your opponent even after the actual punch's been thrown. Of course, if you're on the other side of those birds, then it's quite frustrating. Haha...

I've also been using Helix a lot, and this time I actually dodge attacks with his stretch and "dip" abilities. Really the only thing I don't like about him right now is the ARMS he has. The blorbs seem like they have a mind of their own, and I never liked the Dragon ARMS from the start. The shields? Meh. But I'm pretty sure I'll use him even more when I can use any arm I want in the full game. Really exciting stuff.

And Twintelle... yep, I'm really digging her. Her slow-mo abilities are really helpful in dodging attacks and then countering with yours. I still have to learn how long the slow-mo lasts, though...

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

JoeDiddley

I've had even more fun than last weekend today, I'm so glad I preordered this game. I didn't do as well as I tried everyone rather than sticking with Master Mummy. I haven't clicked with Twintelle yet but I was generally winning with Min Min and Ribbon Girl so I'm pleased that gives me more variety.

I surprisingly didn't enjoy Hoops as much as I thought I would, mainly because I haven't got the hang of it. I loved the matches with everyone against Hedlock though. And had no sucky 2v1 matches.

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

Haruki_NLI

Is V-Ball in this round? Its the only mode I haven't seen

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

meleebrawler

Hedloc really looks like a goofy, sadistic Terminator.

@Vee_Flames Dragons are quite good in my eyes, especially for traps or cutting off movement though they are more effective at longer range than up close. Blorbs are fairly standard to control other than their ground-based bouncing. The main problem with his arm selection at the moment is it gives him something of a blind spot for fighters jumping towards him.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Zyrac

I didn't see much of Twintelle or Ninjara last session. Most people were Spring Man, Ribbon Girl or Min Min. Didn't expect that.

Something I've noticed is that you can seemingly identify motion control players by the way they fidget around before the match starts. Button players naturally tend to hold still.

Hoops is pretty cool. Obviously you can't just spam grabs, because the other player will deflect them all day. So there is some strategy to it.

Zyrac

Twitter:

KirbyTheVampire

I tried Helix again, and I actually did really well with him. He and Master Mummy are my two favorites at the moment, and I do pretty much equally well with them, Helix maybe even a little better. By the end I racked up 116 points, and would have made it to 119 if the servers had stayed on for like 5 more seconds, lol.

KirbyTheVampire

Qwertyninty

Wait so the test punch is one hour out of the day worldwide? Or is it multiple times a day?

Qwertyninty

Pho

@Qwertyninty It was multiple one hour slots a day, depending on the day. There are two tomorrow.

I've had alot of fun with ARMS, I'm learning that patience is important lately. In my last Testpunch, I would watch my opponents and let them swing, dash around, and get a quick hit in. I played mostly as Mechanica, I love her design and her play style, her lack of flinching is great.
I need to give Twintelle another go tomorrow, I never got the hang of her but I like her design.
Haven't touched Master Mummy or Helix.
Also, the 3 on 1 bossfights are one of my favorite parts.
People are getting smart with their specials, waiting for the opponent to use theirs to cancel out with their own.
The Testpunch sold me on ARMS

Also, not to brag, but my teammate left me in a 2 on 2 and I almost won in a 2 on 1 situation T~T
If you saw Pho, that was me

Edited on by Pho

Poyo! <3

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8691-6279 | Nintendo Network ID: xPH03N1Xx86

Qwertyninty

@xPH03N1Xx86

Thanks for replying. I haven't had chance to test it out yet. Keep missing. My life is too busy to try and schedule a one hour slot. I get they are testing their servers and such but a standard demo would be such appreciated. I will probably get the game when it's cheap or on some deal... or if they ever release a standard demo to eshop I can test it out.

Edited on by Qwertyninty

Qwertyninty

KirbyTheVampire

@xPH03N1Xx86 Definitely recommend trying Master Mummy and Helix. Helix's stretch ability is a bit wonky at first though, but it isn't too difficult to get the hang of.

KirbyTheVampire

Pho

@KirbyTheVampire I'll have to give him a go tomorrow, does that give him an edge in dodging?

Poyo! <3

meleebrawler

I managed to use Min-Min's forward air-kick (which I shall hereby refer to as stomp kick) to deflect a punch and grab counter. The little things that make you happy.

KirbyTheVampire

@xPH03N1Xx86 I find that it does, yeah. It also makes you pretty unpredictable, since you can quickly move from side to side.

An arm combo that worked pretty well for me is the dragon followed up right after by a Blorb.

KirbyTheVampire

Pho

@KirbyTheVampire Cool. He's got an odd set of starting arms, with the Blorb, shield and Dragon, all kind of slower, more defensive arms.

I'm interesting in getting a hold of all the different sets of ARMS, I want to see the variety, and how we can mix an match them. I also hope they get added in with the free content. Also hoping to see more game modes added. Kinda wish there was a story-ish mode, just a bit more personal, focused single player.

Poyo! <3

Pho

One thing I'd like to see, is being able to choose your color, instead of it just being chosen in case of conflict ie. Mechanica v. Mechanica. Maybe different costumes to choose from too.

Edited on by Pho

Poyo! <3

FGPackers

@xPH03N1Xx86 you can choose colour actually. Search for videos on youtube where it is explained

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Pho

@FGPackers I wasn't aware of that, thanks for pointing it out to me! Now I can be all Mechanica's of the rainbow

In case anyone besides me didn't know you click in the joystick at the character selection, and then choose a direction.

Poyo! <3

meleebrawler

@xPH03N1Xx86 A lot of early fighting games didn't have much story in the games themselves. Ending cutscenes, sure, but those were often just "I winned" or "What if" scenarios. Much of the lore was written outside of the game.

ARMs is running on the same principle. Before it can start telling a story, it must prove itself with gameplay and/or sales first. Nintendo certainly seems to be setting the groundwork for potential future instalments, especially with a "villain" character like Hedlok.

Pho

@meleebrawler Of course, I realize that a lot of fighting games don't have a story mode for each character, just something neat I'd like to see.

@Pigeon He certainly does have the stretchy arms.

Poyo! <3

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic