Forums

Topic: ARMS

Posts 321 to 340 of 1,369

Spoony_Tech

@FGPackers I didnt expect it to take up a lot but that's really low. I'm sure when its all said and done though with updates it will be over 5.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

meleebrawler

@Spoony_Tech Maybe not, but 20-person lobbies that have multiple games going on plus constant matchmaking for those who aren't currently playing still seems like a fairly heavy load to test.

Also would like to remind people how the Splatoon Testfire really did uncover server issues.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Octane

@Joeynator3000 Probably nothing, since I've heard the controls for the Pro Controller are the same for a single Joy-Con. Just the left stick, the ABXY buttons and the triggers.

Octane

Joeynator3000

Ah well...was thinking that could've been used for curving punches or something.

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Nicolai

Well, I'm certainly way more excited for this game than when it was revealed. Everyone seems to be praising the motion controls of this game, and how easy it is to pick up and play, and how deep the gameplay is. It's just amazing how much difference a reveal trailer can make. Showing it directly after a cheesy party game and showcasing two of the blandest characters did not help it's image at all.

Anyway, I can't wait to try out the Testpunch.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Haru17

@Nicolaison I hear you about the generic character designs for 'blue = boy' and 'red = girl,' but the motion control doubts were only ever borne out of foolish hatred for different controls. ARMS is a complicated game and that announcement trailer showed half the characters as well as establishing the control scheme and how you could block and curve punches. If you started explaining status', weight and stage hazards right then and there no one would understand what the game was.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Nicolai

@Haru17 Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I didn't initially have doubts about the motion controls or complexity, I was just glad to hear them being praised recently. Nah, I didn't really have any concrete doubts when I first saw it, it was more just the way it was presented, and how silly the first two characters looked, and how uninspired the other characters looked. The characters revealed after the initial reveal seem way more creative to me, especially my two favorite characters so far, Min Min and Helix. And Mechanica seems way more interesting more that I've heard a little bit of her backstory.

It definitely didn't gain the immediate connection I had with Splatoon, but now I'm reasonably excited.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Haru17

@Nicolaison I think the character designs are just a fault with the game overall and the most boring ones came first to both not confuse people and save interesting announcements for later. Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara (srsly with that name?), and Mechanica (again not a real name) all seem like early concept drawings that weren't fleshed out from a visual standpoint. Sure they have unique abilities, but their character designs are so very plain. Ribbon Girl's stage and backstory literally seem like they were created after her character design, which was then not updated despite the fact she's supposed to be a pop singer (just look at how more uniquely Twintelle dresses and animates compared to her despite the fact they have similar celebrity backgrounds).

Nicolai

@Haru17 Agrees all around. I don't really feel inclined to try out most of the characters on the roster. The only one I can really honestly get behind is Min Min, and the fact that I consider Helix one of my favorites only shows how easy it was for him to get there. Twintelle is also one of the more creative characters, though I don't like to mention her too often, since most people aren't favoring her because of her "creativity." And althought Barq looks silly too, I guess Byte is kind of an interesting design. But none the other characters really jump out at me.

But hey, if the gameplay really is as good as people say it is, maybe I'll find some characters I like.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.

JoyBoy

I think Springman's design is actually pretty rad...

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Ralizah

I like most of the character designs. Especially the different types of materials used for the arms of the various characters (springs, ribbons, bandages, etc.)

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Haru17

I don't see how you could argue that Spring Man and Ribbon Girl's designs aren't generic, especially since they directly lifted the pink and blue gender role garbage for their color schemes.

Anyway, I want to see a 2v2 match with four Bytes and four Barqs. Now that's some Ice Climbers on 3DS.

-Green-

I'm okay with 'generic' designs if the characters are memorable enough. I don't have any particular issue with any of the names or general designs up to this point. I think some could look a bit better in some areas but overall I dig it.

Ryu and Ken have two of the simplest and most 'generic' designs, yet I can easily recognize them.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

JoyBoy

Oh the color generics, what to do about them!? Do we simply AVOID them? Or FIGHT against it? Find out more in 3 pages when even the most trivial thing will be nittpicked.

SW-7849-9887-2074

KirbyTheVampire

The characters that were announced first are definitely the most boring. The only one out of that group that appeals to me is Master Mummy.

KirbyTheVampire

Maxz

I think there's fairly unanimous agreement that first bunch of character designs weren't as compelling as the last lot.

There's still basically no sense of cohesiveness between them (compared to something like Splatoon with its well-realised aqua-metropolis theme and well-developed Inkling/Octarian split). However, the second bunch of characters were so imaginatively... weird, that the whole concept of 'cohesiveness' seems to have seceded to that of joyous absurdity and diversity.

You can legitimately ask, "What are a mummy and a mech-suit girl doing in a fighting game with a gym-bro and a pop-star?". But after you throw in ramen girl, robo-dog-cop-duo, chicken-brained puddle of genetic slime, fancy French filmstar with fighting hair, and a skateboarding lizard thing, your brain stops trying to find patterns and just accepts it. At least, mine does. I don't know what your brains do. But I'm sure it's fabulous.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Testpunch. My only experience with the game is getting pummelled at a Switch launch event, where I never worked out how to move or jump or block or... do anything apart from get beaten up by someone who clearly had. It'll be good to have some more time to work things out. I was one of the few people who really liked Star Fox Zero's controls, so I shouldn't really complain about not being able to pick something up in 3 minutes at a test event.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

JoyBoy

Biff did ask for her autograph in the direct! Good on him!

SW-7849-9887-2074

FGPackers

Maxz wrote:

You can legitimately ask, "What are a mummy and a mech-suit girl doing in a fighting game with a gym-bro and a pop-star?". But after you throw in ramen girl, robo-dog-cop-duo, chicken-brained puddle of genetic slime, fancy French filmstar with fighting hair, and a skateboarding lizard thing, your brain stops trying to find patterns and just accepts it. At least, mine does. I don't know what your brains do. But I'm sure it's fabulous.

This.

The characters design, even though is overall very cool to me, does not have to have a precise and defined guideline. And with a game like this it is even a good enough choice. I think instead that made characters so particular and with all this variety, it can be a fantastic way to attach a wide number of people. Like it or not, this can be another really good sell point for this game, surely it is for me. I love the design of the characters and the game itself.

PS: excuse me if i did not explain well

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic