Forums

Topic: ARMS

Posts 1,261 to 1,280 of 1,369

meleebrawler

30 with Mummy. The reveal of Coyle running the whole thing makes the event a bit of a guilty pleasure for everyone involved, but I suppose that in the end it is just analyzing people fighting which she does most of the time anyway. Coyle is a lot of things, but a cheapskate isn't one of them.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Scrummer

10 with Twintelle. I really love the party crashes, as they really are what brought me back into the game.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

SuperWeird

I was on Team Twintelle all the way - and we won! Haven't really spent much time with her, so good to get acquainted.

SuperWeird

meleebrawler

I kind of had a feeling Twintelle would win, but I didn't expect it to be this close. Only a 2% margin between the two!

Dogorilla

When was it revealed that it was run by Doctor Coyle?

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

meleebrawler

@Dogorilla Since update 5.0.0, in her boss fight (as well as Helix, Hedlok and Springtron. Suffice it to say she's a driving force in whatever plot we do have, and her efforts have resulted in her "interacting" more with the others in the form of journal entries in her Grand Prix and character-specific victory quotes). Alternatively we've known since the first party that it is run by ARMS Laboratories as well as it's poorly guarded secret purpose of gathering info from fighters, just not the identity of the person in charge.

Anti-Matter

Little question.
So, after Update 5.0.0, the Unlockables are just New Gloves for each Characters ?
And what is the main purpose to follow Grand Prix ?

Anti-Matter

Dogorilla

@meleebrawler It's interesting that they've included all these snippets of lore. I'd love to see a sequel with a fleshed out story mode, maybe even with similar production values to Brawl's Subspace Emissary. Hopefully the upcoming Arms comics will expand on the lore too.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

meleebrawler

@Anti-Matter Well you need to beat Grand Prix to unlock Ranked mode (I think they lowered the the requirement of it being level 4 and above). Besides that you get character ending pictures, badges like completing it with everyone on level 4 or above etc.

Other than that, gloves and badges are the main things you work towards unlocking. Though once you have all gloves, money no longer has any use unless you just want to play ARMS Getter for kicks.

@Dogorilla The thing is, most fighting game plots that use a tournament setup (ARMS Grand Prix) usually have a villain in charge or at least monitoring it to further some greater nefarious goal. Coyle may seem to fit the latter, but her goal only goes as far as being the best ARMS fighter there is. Not taking over the world, or selling her artificial weapons on the black market or some such. Just improving herself and proving her perceived superiority, even if her methods are sometimes shady and at worst, morally dubious. This alone won't make a particularly interesting plot, so either Coyle slips further off the deep end and becomes more evil, which would hugely cheapen her character if you ask me, or a new villain pops up. Her bad attitude towards others, especially Max, is tempered with redeemable qualities like a potentially sympathetic backstory, a solid work ethic that includes fair compensation for services rendered, and perhaps most subtly, not being the type to hold grudges over non-personal matters; her tantrums when defeated in Grand Prix may make her come off as a huge sore loser, but at no point does she ever curse or swear vengeance on the person who defeated her, the anger is entirely self-directed, much like Inklings in the first Splatoon when they lose. It's especially evident (and poignant) when she removes Hedlok, an invention SHE created, and stares at it, almost as if looking into a mirror, before crying out "Useless!!". Poor thing... she worked SO hard, yet ultimately came up short... in some ways she seems to be an analogy of pro gamers, who spend hours, if not days analyzing every aspect of the games they compete in, and no doubt feel intense frustration when they lose where it matters, sometimes to the point of storming off like Coyle did. But in the end, they understand that losing is an important part of learning as well; Coyle in particular, does not look too upset at all when losing a Party match.

Well, that was a long Coyle rant. But, that tends to be a consequence of Nintendo's general "show, don't tell" method of storytelling, there's a lot of room for speculation. Bottom line, Coyle can be an antagonist, but a larger villain will likely be needed for a deeper story.

Edited on by meleebrawler

Grumblevolcano

New update released (5.0.1), don't know what it does though.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Anti-Matter

Grumblevolcano wrote:

New update released (5.0.1), don't know what it does though.

5.0.1 ?!
How did you get the update ?
Mine is still 5.0.0

Anti-Matter

Grumblevolcano

@Anti-Matter I switched on my Switch to play Xenoblade 2 and the ARMS update automatically installed. You can make the game to update if it doesn't automatically by going to ARMS on the Switch's home screen as if you're to start it and press start. Go down to "Software Update" and select "Via the Internet".

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

SuperWeird

@Dev I'm all over Team Lola Pop, she's one on my mains.

SuperWeird

meleebrawler

Lola isn't super popular, but Misango is an extreme rarity whenever I play online... doesn't bode well for me since I really like him, but whatever. I just really like the extra flexibility his mask provides whether he needs dodging or tanking, and the invincibility granted by yellow during a flurry is something that's both powerful and unique to him. Stances like that appeal to me, which is also why I'm interested in Aegislash for Pokken.

JasmineDragon

@Dev Damn, both of them are favorites of mine. Really not sure who I'll choose.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

JasmineDragon

@bluemage1989 I mained Mechanica in the beginning, but I'm mostly Twintelle now. I prefer the faster fighters.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

bluemage1989

@JasmineDragon

I've been maining Ribbon Girl since day one but am trying to get a second character to 'main' standard. I have tried Mechanica as I don't know many who ever use them let alone main them but its been hard going. My wife mains Master Mummy and she is wiping the floor with me!!

Twintelle ey great character design but I am yet to win a fight with her few rounds here or there. What is your strategy with her??

bluemage1989

jump

^Lola got 57% according to when I went into the game to collect my badges.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic