Forums

Topic: ARMS

Posts 1,241 to 1,260 of 1,369

meleebrawler

To be honest, I was expecting her voice to be higher-pitched with all the laughing and apparent insanity. But I guess that's only one half of her that comes out in a fight; the other is the devious mastermind plotting from the shadows.

@Strix You missed the one I did a page back? I'll be getting some shut-eye before I can go hands-on with the doctor, so I just have a few questions: can she use springs or other bouncy elements like anyone else? And is she technically always in an aerial state, thus getting knocked down in a hit from anything, even when not "jumping"? Or is it the other way around? Either way, a mid-air block is powerful indeed, giving a bit more leeway to attack there while the opponent has a flurry ready.

Edit: Got the answer to the "always grounded vs. always aerial state" dilemma: as far as combos go, looks like Coyle is always treated as if she's on the ground.

Her movement, down to the sliding charge and hovering seems most reminiscent of Mechanica, with a hint of Min-Min in her third charged arm (on the right instead of the left, of course). She has constant, steady movement, which when coupled with the double right arm can make her offence frustratingly safe. But on the flipside, her lack of burst movement can make it difficult to dodge if she's on the defensive, so keeping momentum going is key.

Edit 2: Looked up some game footage, her left arm can pop an extra too? What determines which arm gets doubled? The direction she's moving in? Also, she's probably the most vocal character in the whole game.

Edited on by meleebrawler

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

JasmineDragon

I clearly need to give it a little more time, but after my first plays with her, Dr. Coyle is the first new character that I haven't immediately loved. She seems like a hodgepodge of other concepts in the game without Lola and Misango's dash or Springtron's inherent coolness, and her attacks seem really slow and not that powerful. Maybe my opinion will change with a little more practice.

On the plus side, her home stage is awesome. Moving obstacles are just what the doctor ordered!

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

-Green-

i think it’s cute how all these characters are just dressed up in their wrestler clothe and fight these matches for the sake of challenge and spectacle. There’s something so silly about imagining adults dressing up like Coyle and fighting, it’s charming in a way.

Anyways on a more serious note. Nintendo, why are there no good looking boy characters in this game? They all look so wonky in game, and at this point Helix is probably the most normal looking dude (I think he refers to himself as a dude).

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Today was the final ARMS update.

"The ARMS laboratory, the director of the ARMS lab that was enveloped at last, will participate in the "ARMS" Ver. As a big update, this time will be the last update. Of course, I will continue to adjust the game balance in the future, so I hope you will continue to enjoy "ARMS", which has become more lively as more fighters participate!"

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/67b3f436-e451-11e7-8c...

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js...

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

ThomGee

@meleebrawler Whoops, guess I missed it. Anyways, I'm pretty sure the arm the third arm appears on is random, though there might be a pattern, I'm still unsure. Also, you're right about her always being considered on the ground, because her Ice Funchulks can never go into their aerial version.

And just as I post this, Nintendo confirms no more big updates for ARMS. Really guys, that's how you go out? By announcing that this update has become so much more disappointing.

Edited on by ThomGee

ThomGee

My Nintendo: ThomGee | Nintendo Network ID: WakerOfWindsHD

meleebrawler

@Strix Perhaps we've simply reached a point where they can no longer continue adding characters/modes without charging for them.

JasmineDragon

I don't know, updates are nice, but they can't go on forever. I suspect they will provide more content when the paid online service starts, even if it's just special skins and a new stage here and there. If that's their plan, they'd be fools to give us too much for free right now.

meleebrawler

@Strix Everyone goes on about having more modes in fighting games, but it's very rare that any of them keep players interested for more than a couple of playthroughs without the promise of rewards via unlocks or cutscenes, or being totally unrelated to the main game like Tekken Bowl. Smash Run in the 3DS title was the only alternate mode I played a lot for being legitimately fun.

Sakurai's infamous reasoning for not including an adventure/story mode because of Internet leaks has some merit to it. Not so much in the context of Smash where I think people would have enjoyed a little-to-no cutscene adventure mode just as much since it's gameplay is different enough from the norm to stand on it's own, but for most other fighting games such modes they tend not to amount to much more than glorified arcade modes.

Grumblevolcano

I'm guessing the end of ARMS means the team has returned back to Mario Kart. Whether that means DLC for MK8 Deluxe or MK9, I don't know but I'd want the former much more than the latter.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

-Green-

The ending of the Grand Prix is hilarious lol. This game is a lot more charming than I remembered.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

meleebrawler

Dr. Coyle is a one-woman exposition army, continuing Springtron's trend of providing data on fighters through Biff reading her journal in Grand Prix. Sometimes they're just facts about weaknesses, but she also has a disturbing tendency towards uncomfortable truths there: She considers Helix a failure because he's too sluggish and cumbersome to fight effectively, despite his stretching. His low presence in any online mode seems to corroborate this. She really likes Min-Min's dragon arm, but finds her kicking habit a liability. Indeed most Min-Mins I see barely use them, especially for their intended deflect purposes. Ribbon Girl is hindering her fighting potential by simultaneously pursuing a singing career, which is self-explanitory. Ninjara's risking his curriculum on a project that could easily fail due to unexpected powerful elements. And Spring Man's pizza eating habits throw his conditioning out of whack, again kind of common sense.

Her beef with Max Brass is, as suspected, a result of a soured relationship. Apparently Max said some mean/thoughtless words towards her, most likely being dismissive of her scientific approach vs. his own natural talent and physical conditioning. Given the outcome of her Grand Prix, though, it seems she only really wanted to humiliate/surpass him, not seriously hurt him, as she still saves him from Hedlok, the latter clearly being beyond her control. (In that instance, anyway... when fought as a boss she does summon him.) Her ending is a picture of her and Max when they were still together, the latter bringing her tea. It's notably been torn in half before, but is taped back together now. Was it just a third party that did this, or is it a sign of forgiveness from the doctor?

All in all, she doesn't seem to be the evil person she's played up to be. Mildly insane/unhealthily obsessed and uncaring of consequences, sure (and a bit of a sore loser). But she's ultimately still dedicated to advancement via science despite her grudges, and her harsh criticisms seem more like what you'd expect from someone who researches extensively, plus she still gives credit where it's due.

Edited on by meleebrawler

JasmineDragon

@meleebrawler Out of curiosity, at what level do you get the Hedlok summoning and an actual ending to the Grand Prix? I've never finished a GP above level 4.

Grumblevolcano

I'm seeing that the no more ARMS content updates is actually mistake as a result of Google Translate and the real translation says that 5.0 is the last update of the year.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@Grumblevolcano There's already a Mario Kart on the Switch. They could be working on another game entirely.

Octane

JohnBlackstar

With Zelda and Arms both receiving their last updates before Christmas it shows that Nintendo realize that most sales are going to happen around this time and only straggling sales will happen from here out. Only time will tell if we receive a new Arms game at some point.

JohnBlackstar

meleebrawler

@JasmineDragon Just said it yourself; the extra fights occur at levels 4 and above. And now, on levels 6 and 7, you'll fight Coyle instead of Max if you're not actually playing as her. The levels are clearly marked now to indicate this.

Controlling her felt really good to me, riding real smooth on the ground and off. But as I suspected, she cannot interact with bouncy elements at all, which can be a good or bad thing depending on the stage. I gave her the Retorcher, and the resulting barrage when doubled is hilarious.

JasmineDragon

How did you guys like the latest Party Crash? I had an amazing time, played up to Level 12 mostly with Twintelle. I love that two local players can join the Party Crash, it was that much more fun playing with my daughter.

I did disconnect a few times, but not so often that it killed the experience. And it never seemed to take more than maybe twenty seconds to get into a match.

3dg3d3m0n

Absolutely loved it, l played all weekend up to lvl 80😀 Looking forward to seeing the badges and rewards..
Now back to Zelda...

3dg3d3m0n

Dogorilla

I played up to level 15 as Twintelle. The Party Crashes are such a good idea, I love the bonus periods every 15 minutes and the ways they change the gameplay.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic