Forums

Topic: ARMS

Posts 1,121 to 1,140 of 1,369

-Green-

New ARMS update is out, and they're basically just small tweaks and changes. They say that the next major update will contain a new character and new arms as well.

https://t.co/7AWdjWnX0A

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

TuVictus

I think ARMS is a good game to bust out randomly over the life of the Switch like Mario Kart. Where Splatoon feels like a perpetually played game, ARMS seems user friendly enough that I can imagine many get togethers incorporating it. I hope so, at least.

TuVictus

Haru17

They finally showed the new character in this incredibly grainy footage. I wonder if there will be a Nintendo Direct before she's out this month. She looks... curvy? It looks like she has jelly legs ala Helix's body. That much is probably just a graphical similarity, but I wonder how people will deal with this after Twintelle set everyone's latent repression in a tizzy.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

erv

She looks fat.

I wonder what type of character this is going to be. I'm insanely impressed by how different each arms character is. I really suck so much at this game, but like it a lot at the same time.

I think I'll be playing this for a long while

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

meleebrawler

@erv It appears she can do a super jump when her arms are charged. Not quite as high as doing a big jump off of a trampoline, but about twice the height of a normal one. Still enough to dodge most punch sequences.

I don't really see the clown other than her balloon pants. Looks more like either a baker or a vaguely arabic fighter to me.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

JasmineDragon

@meleebrawler I agree, Middle Eastern baker/confectioner possibly, her pants look like a sharwal and that would fit with the "sweet, exotic smells" they were talking about.

I would love it if it's true, you never see that type of character in video games and it would be some awesome representation.

Switch FC: SW-5152-0041-1364
Remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Grumblevolcano

@Haru17 Next week would seem like the perfect time for a direct.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

meleebrawler

@JasmineDragon If there's one thing ARMS took from Punch-Out!!, it's cultural diversity in it's cast. But even more impressive is doing so without shoving the differences in your face. Twintelle is a black French person for example, but the game doesn't make much of a fuss about it, instead focusing on her stretchy hair and celebrity status. And they certainly don't limit themselves to checking off a list of nationalities for the roster, as seen with Helix and Byte & Barq.

So far, we have American (Spring Man), French, Chinese (Min-Min) and Japanese (Ninjara).

Haru17

I'm pretty sure Spring Man and Min Min are both Japanese, ramen is a Japanese dish.

-Green-

We're in need of some good husbandos. Enough of the waifu bait.

Edited on by -Green-

meleebrawler

@Haru17 Why does Spring Man speak perfectly fluent English then, whereas Min-Min doesn't?

Paraka

@meleebrawler - How can they hail from a world their universe isn't in? Have you not seen the loading screen between every stage in the Campaign? It's not Earth, I can tell you that much.

Paraka

Haru17

They all live in the same city, but I think it's just fictionalized Japan with some transnationals.

And this puts us up to equal in terms of male / female fighters if you don't count the two 'its,' Barq & Byte and Helix, who both are designed like non explicitly but definitely intentionally male cartoon characters tend to be.

erv

Well ever since I gendrify as a non-binary undead mummy I feel so empowered by being represented in arms!

Edited on by erv

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

meleebrawler

@Paraka Plenty of video games use fictional locations that are nonetheless based on real ones. Like Eagleland in Earthbound, largely based on American cities, or various regions from Pokemon like Kalos or Alola.

Haru17

Ignorance and self-delusion aren't wit.

-Green-

I just don't really like any of the boy character models in this game tbh. Even poster boy, Spring Man looks a bit mugly.

Paraka

@meleebrawler - Well there is a difference between inspirations and direct representation. Oddly enough, when characters like Kirby, Thrall from Warcraft fame or various non-humans take strong cultural references next to no one bats an eye. This apparently only effects those humans which color CAN technically be represented with. Even when we have unique non-Earthly worlds, everything is directly made to connect to our personal understanding of humans and diversity.

Don't get me wrong, I don't oppose representing characters of various cultures. Especially when characters have... well, character. Overwatch has been amazing with this. I just play the advocate opposing worldly inspirations connecting to direct human correlation. Namely cause it gets hazy and convoluted.

Paraka

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic