Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 941 to 960 of 3,493

wasilewski

Thanks @RetroGamerAndrew.

Yes @Lroy, good to see lots of new players joining the challenge. Hopefully they can offer us all some high scoring tips and tricks.

wasilewski

Switch Friend Code: SW-4558-8602-8597 | My Nintendo: heavymetal

GrailUK

Re: Blazing Star. How have I only just discovered that you get a higher score multiplier at full charged shot!?! No wonder my score has been so low. I have been killing everything by timing my shots not realising it has gimped my score. BAH! Hehehe

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Lroy

GrailUK wrote:

Re: Blazing Star. How have I only just discovered that you get a higher score multiplier at full charged shot!?! No wonder my score has been so low. I have been killing everything by timing my shots not realising it has gimped my score. BAH! Hehehe

Huh? I'd be interested to hear more about this as I'm still learning the nuances of BLAZING STAR. I need to remember to watch that video @oorwullie mentioned as well.

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

GrailUK

@Lroy Well, every time you get a power up, it tacks another charge bar to your shotbar. At full power, you have 4 segments to your shot bar. If you charge to the fourth bar, and kill a chain of enemies, the score multiplier stacks and goes up to x128. If however, you only charge to the 3rd segment, the maximum multiplier on those same enemies would be x 64. (2nd segment is x 32 and 1st segment is x16).

Jbs-Dad

Metal slug I'm going against popular opinion I struggle to like it although it's graphically amazing. I'm 1050th rank, yep im terrible at it πŸ˜€. Good luck everyone on this one

Switch code: sw-0773-7462-9023

AgentLA

Great scores last week & nice participation too. I’m never played Metal Slug but I’m looking forward to it. Cheers!

Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot πŸš€

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721 | Twitter:

meppi64

@GrailUK Whoa, I had no idea it worked like that. Thought 64 was the maximum. :-/

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

Lroy

@GrailUK Ah I see, makes sense. It's bloody hard enough to be charged at the right time without having to be at full charge as well, lol! Gotta say, this community and these challenges have already given me so much more enjoyment and appreciation of games like PULSTAR and BLAZING STAR. Both would now rank in among my fave horizontal shoot-em-ups of all-time. I tip my hat to y'all 🍻

ArtheXavier

Metal Slug? Definitely picking it up tonight! Looking forward to competing with you folks. I remember sucking at the game, but maybe I'll learn to be better at it.

Switch Friend code: SW-1992-7925-5001 | Nintendo name: Arthe

OorWullie

I'm just going to come out with it,Steredenn: Binary Stars is the best shoot-em-up I've ever played.

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Mr Mustard πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡­
SW-6101-8403-1640

πŸ•ΉοΈ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards πŸ•ΉοΈ

GrailUK

@meppi64 Me neither! It has made a HUGE difference So don't die! You power down and it nerfs your max multiplier

Edited on by GrailUK

ArtheXavier

OorWullie wrote:

I'm just going to come out with it,Steredenn: Binary Stars is the best shoot-em-up I've ever played.

Argh... I have to buy it too, then? Switch is killing my wallet!

Switch Friend code: SW-1992-7925-5001 | Nintendo name: Arthe

Lroy

@masterLEON Just watched your run on BLAZING STAR. Amazing stuff, helped me visualise what @GrailUK was saying about the full charge multiplier as well. Thanks for sharing πŸ‘

GrailUK

@OorWullie I'm going to pick it up next pay day.

Lroy

ArtheXavier wrote:

Metal Slug? Definitely picking it up tonight! Looking forward to competing with you folks. I remember sucking at the game, but maybe I'll learn to be better at it.

You're most welcome. Great to have you aboard soldier!

Lroy

monkeyspasm wrote:

My first challenge and I finished well down the order, but hugely enjoyed it!

Well done @wasilewski and to all who took part.

I love Metal Slug, buying it now, I've only had the Switch a few weeks and have bought tons already (including Star Force and Super Mario Bros last night)!

Yep, the Switch arcade is an addictive and expensive place, lol! Thrilled you'll be taking part in these challenges going forward πŸ‘Š

Lroy

Jbs-Dad wrote:

Metal slug I'm going against popular opinion I struggle to like it although it's graphically amazing. I'm 1050th rank, yep im terrible at it πŸ˜€. Good luck everyone on this one

Do not despair, most of us start off well outside the Top 100 and work our way up. Over the coming days, some of the very gifted players here will lend us flagging folk a hand by posting strategy tips and even video capture of their runs etc. So each week and each game is very much a learning curve and evolution of your skill.

In truth, it doesn't matter where you rank at the end as long as you have beaten your own starting score and feel you've gotten better at the game.

GrailUK

@masterLEON Just want to echo Lroy. It's a very good video. How do I find your channel on YouTube

Lroy

@OorWullie Wow! What with you and STEREDENN and @Shiryu proclaiming that DANMAKU was the best Shmup on Switch. Plus, the growing affection for SKYFORCE RELOADED in these parts. I'm having to reconsider my mantra that the old arcade ones are always the best ones πŸ˜‰

Shiryu

@Lroy It is very hard to beat the old, sprite art shmups. But when it is properly done byt the right people who knwo what they are doing, even polygonal modern age shmups are worth a consideration. Danmaku Unlimited 3 and Steredenn might not be new of Switch native, but they fit the system like a glove.

"No Surrender, No Retreat."

Nintendo Network ID: Shiryu | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic