Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 561 to 580 of 3,493

GrailUK

@wasilewski Erm...I was thinking I was starting to cap my run but...but...just go to 5 mins and look at the score. (Sometimes it's good to look at speed runs for scores for Caravan mode)

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

OorWullie

Just pre-ordered Steredenn: Binary Stars from the Norwegian Eshop. It's only costs Β£9.15 on there which is cheaper than the UK price. The reason I pre-ordered was because I wanted to get the Rocket League DLC from there with my Revolut card but you need to top it up with a minimum of a tenner and I was planning on getting Steredenn anyway. Can't wait to play it, looks amazing.

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Mr Mustard πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡­
SW-6101-8403-1640

πŸ•ΉοΈ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards πŸ•ΉοΈ

wasilewski

@GrailUK that's a TAS = tool assisted speedrun. He's cheating!!

wasilewski

Switch Friend Code: SW-4558-8602-8597 | My Nintendo: heavymetal

GrailUK

@wasilewski Oh! (Thank God!!! Lol) My score was done handheld. Switch is amazing

Edited on by GrailUK

Lroy

@wasilewski @grailuk I don't know what this 'tool assisted' business means but blimey that score in 5 mins is incredible!

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

wasilewski

@OorWullie any reason you choose the Norwegian eShop? Were you getting a good deal on the Krone exchange?

wasilewski

OorWullie

@wasilewski It's the cheapest option for lots of games. Neo Geo games are around Β£5.10 for example. Not all games are cheaper there though, some are more expensive so I have accounts for other regions too. I've been buying most of my games from the US Eshop since I got my Switch and more recently the South African but I made a Russian account last week to buy Outlast which cost me Β£16.80, compared to Β£19.99 it would cost in UK or the equivalent of Β£18 if I'd bought from US . I use an app called Revolut which allows me to buy from any PAL region Eshop with no foreign transaction fee and real exchange rates. The pricing of games across Eshop's is strange and can vary a lot. Outlast 2 costs just over Β£15 on South African Eshop, which is cheaper than the original cost there and Β£12 cheaper than the UK. Definitely something to think about to save a few quid.

SW-6101-8403-1640

RetroGamerAndrew

@OorWullie didn't know about that app, I'll definitely check next time. Cheers!

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

wasilewski

@OorWullie I had no idea the prices varied that much. Revoult sounds good, I will have to check it out for sure. Cheers!

wasilewski

masterLEON

TFW you make it past the 2nd stage mid boss, to the motorcycles, and you end up with the EXACT same high score >_<

Untitled

Edited on by masterLEON

"You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!"

Switch - 6257-7933-4694

OorWullie

@wasilewski @RetroGamerAndrew If you make an account and top up Β£10 before Sunday you're entitled to a free physical card. Virtual cards are free but physical cards normally cost a fiver. They're offering it to celebrate reaching 1.5m customers. You don't need to spend the tenner though and can actually send it back to your bank account. Really great app btw, not just for Switch but for when you travel as no fees and real rates. Can be used for overseas money transfers or as an alternative to PayPal too. Best of all, it's always free.

Edited on by OorWullie

SW-6101-8403-1640

wasilewski

@OorWullie Thanks again for the tip .

@masterLEON how are you getting so far in 5 minutes?!? I can barely get past the first stage.

wasilewski

wasilewski

I recently joined the forums on shmups.system11.org and I noticed a member on there called PROMETHEUS wrote a document called The Full Extent Of The Jam.

PROMETHEUS is an expert DoDonPachi player and holds the Western record score and he used a keyboard!

He wrote this guide, The Full Extent Of The Jam, explaining his methods for playing shmups.

There's loads of great stuff in here, like how to dodge bullets, where to look on screen etc. It really helped me a lot and hopefully some of you will find it useful too.

It's hosted on Google Docs and the shortened link is here: -

https://goo.gl/Fi2zE

Enjoy!

wasilewski

GrailUK

@masterLEON Wowsers! That's crazy. Hey, at least we have put Paris behind us.

masterLEON

@wasilewski Strategic management of specials and skipping certain enemies mostly. Right now I'm feeling out whether I should slow it down or not. I'm thinking that area is the furthest I should go since I can't really stun lock the bosses at all. The TAS replay @GrailUK posted up gave me a couple pointers, but that area 1 was surprisingly close to what I normally do (except for the jumping thing, lol).

Switch - 6257-7933-4694

DashKappei

Hey guys!
I want to make a big round of applause to Nintendo Iberica. πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ’―πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽŠThe most amazing customer service I've ever gotten in my life, no kidding!
They came to my house to get the joycons on Thursday. Two hours ago I got my delivery with both fixed under warranty. That's 5 days counting Saturday and Sunday and time required for shipping it back and forth. Pretty freaking unbelievable 😲😲😲

DashKappei

Switch Friend Code: SW-7921-9388-6881

GrailUK

@masterLEON I don't get the jumping thing lol. I just assumed the scrolling was a fixed speed. Reckon it makes any difference?

DashKappei

As for this week challenge I'm torn. Don't own MN, only played it a couple of times in the arcade 20+ years back and I don't remember if I like it, honestly I was waiting for Sengoku 3 to get my brawler fix. I have so many games to buy, this week there's Flinthook and Danmaku 3 as well, dunno what to do... if I should sit this one out. My fav 2D brawlers of all time are Vendetta (Crime Fighters 2), Bare Knuckle 2, Kunio Kun's RCC, TMNT TiT and Viewtiful Joe 1 (of course I love D&D CoM, Punisher, AvsP., GA Revenge of DA...).
Something like Robo Army is too basic and simple, if I have to go basic then Final Fight 1 is my jam).
Do you think Mutation Nation would be worth it for me?

DashKappei

Switch Friend Code: SW-7921-9388-6881

masterLEON

@DashKappei That was a pretty quick turnaround. I had a similar experience when I sent in my New 3DS for the shoulder buttons. Of course, they just grabbed a spare AC New 3DS and sent that back to me. It worked out though, because I was starting to get that scratches on the top screen on the one I sent in, lol.

The deep part of Mutation Nation, though it's not really deep, is when to use the special attack pickups. There are 4 main ones and their # of uses doesn't stack. They're useful to wipe the screen of enemies. Attacks C and D take a few seconds to do, D can also hit enemies that enter the screen after the attack starts. You can also do a special attack when you're out of uses for the currently equipped attack, but it uses up 2 full blocks of health (16HP). Picking up any attack power up restores one full block of life (8HP). I can probably see myself going through the game a couple times but that's it, unless I want to go for the 1CC. The hit detection feels like TMNT, but the art/animation style doesn't lend itself to the immersion, IMO.

Switch - 6257-7933-4694

Lroy

Just wondered what game(s) you folk are buying with your Gold Points? I was considering ENTER THE GUNGEON or SKY FORCE RELOADED as both have caught my eye but left me very undecided. Otherwise, I guess I'll just plump for another one or two Hamster releases.

I think a few of you have SKY FORCE RELOADED. Do you think it is worth a punt?

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic