Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 401 to 420 of 3,493

RetroGamerAndrew

@meppi64 just happened to me again right now, 2 times, with a score 3.700 and 3.662. Took a really, really shaky picture (was travelling by train), I'll upload it when I'm at office.

I don't know what's happening but my score refuse to update. I have a working, fast 4G connection so connectivity is not an issue. Honestly this is a bummer... Im asking myself why should I try to improve my score if it doesn't get recorded. I think I'll quit playing ST for now to give my backlog some love.

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

Lroy

Oh man, getting a great score and it not registering is the worst. Feel for you fellas. At least we know you did it πŸ‘

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

RetroGamerAndrew

Here is the (bad) screenshot:

Untitled

I know, it's hardly readable... and in the heat of the moment I completely forgot to take a screenshot on the switch itself.

Not a good start of the day, btw: had to shovel snow for an hour from 5.30AM, and it's the second day in a row. Before turnin' my switch up I wanted to listen to some music and take a nap on the train to work... And then my mint-new hifi DAP (bought January, 10) refused to turn on (no way to charge it either... must be a faulty unit).

All this reminded me the famous quote from Young Frankenstein...
"Could be worse... How? Could be raining"

Edited on by RetroGamerAndrew

RetroGamerAndrew

OorWullie

Shock Troopers is a brilliant game but as a score chaser not so much. Having to do close range kills all the time takes away some of the fun of the game I think. It's a shame there is such a big points difference between shooting a bad guy and stabbing him up close.

Edited on by OorWullie

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Mr Mustard πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡­
SW-6101-8403-1640

πŸ•ΉοΈ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards πŸ•ΉοΈ

OorWullie

There's a promising looking shoot-em-up called Steredenn :Binary Stars been added to the Eshop coming soon section. It will release on the 8th and cost Β£11.99. It is a "hugely expanded" version of the original Steredenn which received very good reviews on PC and Xbox One.

It's an endless shooter/Roguelike mash-up with randomly generated levels. A Boss Rush mode with a weekly selection of bosses to defeat and leaderboard. A Daily Run with a special daily leaderboard where all players share the same run but you only get one go at it. 5 playable ships each with unique playstyles as well as 42 weapons and 30 upgrades. Also an Arena mode where once you defeat a boss in the main game, it's unlocked for you to train against in a 1v1 duel.

Sounds superb to me. The graphics are very nice too.

Edited on by OorWullie

SW-6101-8403-1640

wasilewski

Looks great, @OorWullie, like the old shmups of the 90s.

wasilewski

Switch Friend Code: SW-4558-8602-8597 | My Nintendo: heavymetal

meppi64

@RetroGamerAndrew
You weren't kidding. That's a really blurry picture!
You know that all the Hamster games work with the capture feature on Switch, right? (edit. oh I missed that sentence there. lol) Yep, happens to the best of us. ;P
I forgot about it myself as I was taking pictures with my phone for Stern Pinball Arcade, since that game doesn't support the feature.
@OorWullie I just was Steredenn on the news channel last night. Looks really interesting and good.
Now with Andy's recommendation as well, I'll be sure to pick it up Thursday.

I'd agree that Shock Troopers loses a bit of what makes it special when playing it like that.
But you don't need to just walk up to them and stab them.
Try to start shooting them as you walk into them and then stab them, it brings a lot more strategy to the table.
You'll need to experiment with the optimal distance to start shooting.
It also makes it harder to go against your reflexes when one goes down and not just turn around towards the others while still spraying bullets, as that will result in cheap kills.

Gonna be quite a week.
Sengoku 2, Star Force, The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers book 2 and 3 and I just got news that my Bayonetta Climax Edition has arrived at Amazon France, so I might get it this week!

Edited on by meppi64

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

RetroGamerAndrew

@meppi64 ahahah yeah I know it is, I just wanted something that I could easily upload to Tinypic or the like and quickly embed in a forum post... But it didn't work so well

RetroGamerAndrew

meppi64

@RetroGamerAndrew
I just created a fake Facebook profile (since I don't use facebook at all) and link it to my Switch, so then you can upload the pictures directly via the photo menu and grab them off the facebook page, upload them to imgur or something and post them here.

Now, reading that back, yeah, it's a lot of steps. lol

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

OorWullie

@meppi64 @RetroGamerAndrew I use a Twitter account to upload photos directly from my Switch and then to imgur as well. Someone in another thread pointed out that imgur is not needed though. They just copy the image link from Facebook and insert it between (img) (/img) , since Facebook is already hosting the image. Haven't tried it myself yet and not sure if it works with Twitter.

Edited on by OorWullie

SW-6101-8403-1640

RetroGamerAndrew

@OorWullie I have Twitter so I could do the trick... I wonder why I dint't think of it before.
Thanks for the suggestions

RetroGamerAndrew

Lroy

Another shooter incoming: Danmaku Unlimited 3. Info on NL and Nintendo Everything.

RetroGamerAndrew

@Lroy I have it (and the predecessor also) on Steam (β„’). What can I say, it's... as japanese as a shooter can get: extreme, intense, visually&sonically jaw dropping. I would say that It could be the blueprint for modern danmaku shooters.

RetroGamerAndrew

Lroy

Just put my little girl down for her daily nap and thought I'd have another run or two on SHOCK TROOPERS. Managed to break into the Top 100 of the Global Leaderboard - so at least you can see my name and score now. 2, 328, 000 puts me currently 91st. Nothing compared to the top guys but a minor miracle for me. Have found this challenge the hardest of the three we've done to date by far.

I'm putting a call out to the other folks playing along - not hitting the high scores - to still leave a post here. Be great to know you are out there taking part, especially if you aren't in the Top 100 as we can't see your scores in-game otherwise.

@oorwullie How's the NL Community rankings coming along? The Top 5 seem pretty close and be nice to see how close the together in score the rest of us are.

Edited on by Lroy

meppi64

@Lroy I could have sworn that I've seen Danmaku Unlimited 3 for Switch announced some time last year, but I can't seem to find anything. Weird.
I got 1 and 2 on my phone and iPad, not sure about 3 as I've stopped playing phone games pretty much completely sometime after I got my Vita.
Really great games. Even bought an iCade for them and the Cave games, but ended up not using it much at all.

Will gladly pick this one up on Switch the minute it goes live.

I hope we get to see Graze Counter one day on Switch as well.
Some random Japanese Twitter account posted a link to the steam page, but since I'm not a PC gamer and it doesn't have Mac compatibility, I'll keep waiting for a Switch port like for so many other games.
Speaking of which, I really, really need Nuclear Throne on Switch...

Edited on by meppi64

meppi64

RetroGamerAndrew

@meppi64 maybe you are referring to this: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/06/danmaku_unlimited_3_...

Sadly I don't think we will ever get the chance to play Nuclear Throne on Switch as developer "Vlambeer is moving on" from it, and unfortunately GameMaker games needs to be rewritten from scratch to work on Switch: https://steamcommunity.com/app/242680/discussions/0/162059901...

RetroGamerAndrew

meppi64

@RetroGamerAndrew That must be it as I seem to have even commented in the comment section there. lol

Damnit... That is such a shame.
The Vita version still hasn't been patched and is pretty broken as far as I'm aware.
No idea on the PS4 one, even though I have it.
I vastly prefer playing this on a handheld.

meppi64

RetroGamerAndrew

@OorWullie they share some similarities. They're both roguelites, but NT is faster, more "arcade", while EtG is more similar to a bullet hell shooter (especially in late stages) and has more weapons variety. You have a set of specialized mutants, each one with different perks. When you level up you must choose from a random pool of three abilities. Stages have procedural generated layouts, but the sequence is always the same (but you can take hidden shortcuts). You can even endlessly loop when you finish the game... assuming you manage to, which is quite a task
Loved it to death on PC, it's a real pity that it won't be ported

Edited on by RetroGamerAndrew

RetroGamerAndrew

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic