Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 361 to 380 of 3,493

wasilewski

meppi64 wrote:

What does worry me though is that the score table on the side is starting to burn into my plasma tv from all these score attacks. lol
Been running the built in screen sweeper for 3 hours now and luckily, it's starting to disappear.

Would that happen on the Switch screen do you think?

wasilewski

Switch Friend Code: SW-4558-8602-8597 | My Nintendo: heavymetal

AgentLA

After being down and out with the flu this week, I’m jumping back into the competition. I did not appreciate my last place finish last week, I only got a few days of action in due to being sick.

Looking forward to Shock Troopers!

Congrats to @masterLEON for his high score.

Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot 🚀

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721 | Twitter:

meppi64

@wasilewski
I wouldn't worry too much about the screen on the Switch itself since it's a modern day LCD screen and thus a lot less prone to burn in.
Plasma screens are notoriously bad for this. Well, used to be.
This isn't actually burn-in I'm seeing here as that would not go away over time, it's actually image retention.
Playing other things on it will counter it.
This has been an issue with screen tech since the good old CRTs. Some screens are better at this than others.
Nowadays it's pretty much a non-issue, besides for the people who still prefer plasma screens obviously.
Since I don't watch a ton of regular tv, it takes a bit longer for the image that has been displayed for hours on end to dissipate. So I'm running the screen wiper on mine just for good measure.

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

wasilewski

@meppi64 thanks for the info, I was getting worried there!

wasilewski

DashKappei

@retrogamerandrew
Nope, I’ve been living in Tenerife for the last couple years and before that I was in London for 6y. Still love my Country tho!
@wasilewski
Nope, it’s not a plasma-tech screen so there’s no risk of getting burned-in images.
Although the best Plasma sets, last ones in production for Pioneer/Sharp for example, are much less prone to burn-in and with care it can be avoided. I played retro/highscore gaming for years on plasma sets (their IQ can’t be beaten and I’m willing to put up with these hurdles because of it) and at the most I’ve gotten image-retention that can be easily fixed judt by playing different games.
I mean, same thing when watching a footie game or sports on tv where you have the scoreboard stuck in the left top corner for 90 minutes
@meppi64
Fine, you’re quite clearly having a change of heart on accuracy Vs taste, so I’d suggest you sell me your FM to recoup some money then! lol 😆

DashKappei

Switch Friend Code: SW-7921-9388-6881

meppi64

@DashKappei No way! I love my Framemeister! I'll just turn down the sharpness a little. ;P

My plasma is one of the last series that Panasonic made actually.
I had a 2009 model that could easily last another 10 years or so, but when I heard that they were getting out of the plasma tv business, I knew it was now or never.
So I ordered the 65" TX-P65VT60E which was close to €4000 here at the time.
Still get a bit of trouble with image retention, but it only happens when playing nothing but Pinball or Neo Geo games for a week.
It does go away though, and when mixing up games a bit, it's not even there at all.
Only when I get to focussed on one single game and spend hours upon hours of playing it.

meppi64

Switch Friend Code: SW-8347-9726-5976 | My Nintendo: meppi64 | Nintendo Network ID: meppi64

RetroGamerAndrew

@wasilewski me too I'm practicing on the MAME... on my Android phone

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

Qualitybeats

It's just not great for a high score chase to be relegated by random drops, and unfortunately, Shock Troopers - much like AF2 - has far too much randomness to it's scoring system. Even if you pull off a perfect run in Shock Troopers, if you don't get more bonus gems instead of health ups and nuke gems and ammo drops, then you're back to resetting.

I'm at ( http://ibb.co/cECLyH ) 3,279,000 and I'm already at the point where I am resetting in the first minute if I don't get a majority of drops to be bonus gems, because I've already hit the skill-ceiling and now am waiting on
random drops to give me my higher score. As much as I've enjoyed ST in my lifetime, it's scoring system is based on randomness, which is undeniably a bad design choice.

Edited on by Qualitybeats

OneHeartLeft on YouTube

Switch Friend Code: SW-3372-2967-0798 | Twitter:

OorWullie

I set my high score of 280k something on my 2nd go this weekend and I've not been able to get close to it since.

I played some Strikers 1945
and its sequel back to back today. I had a good session on both. I must admit, when I first played part 2 a few weeks ago, I actually thought it seemed inferior to the original. The graphics are darker and look kind of muddy (for want of a better word) and the music isn't as memorable. But most of all it just felt a little too bullet hellish for its own good. Today though I realised I've been a fool and who was playing it wrong as I'd just been using the charge shot like I would in the other Psikyo shooters. Now I realise it's a meter you fill up by taking down enemies, that makes you ever more powerful if left alone but also gives you a powerful extra option to release and bail you out should you need it. Letting it do its own thing and building it up is incredibly useful and makes the game not as challenging as I first thought it to be That said, it's still bloody tough though but in a more enjoyable way that I previously thought.

I was thinking about how we could use the Strikers games for a future challenge. In the default settings Strikers 1 tallies up your score over 3 continues while in 2, your score resets with each continue and seems to register the worst score of the 3. This isn't ideal as your 3rd continue is basically just about trying to stay alive as long as possible and it makes your previous 2 attempts a waste of time. In fact it punishes you for doing well in them. For example if you used your first 2 continues up really quickly,say by end of stage 1 then you've got a much easier run on stage 2 to start racking up a score than you would have if you started your last continue from a later stage. At least that's the way it seemed to me today, maybe I'm understanding it wrong?Either way, for both games, it seems changing the default settings to 0 continues is the way to go if we're going to pick one in future. Once I figured out the charge meter in 2 I was able to make it to the boss at the end of the 3rd with my 3 lives on Normal difficulty, not too bad I don't think. On the original I can make it to the end of the 4th with 3 lives.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Signosis

I’m up for this challenge.
What games are we setting high scores for?

Signosis

Twitter:

OorWullie

@Signosis Hello there and thanks for joining us. Shock Troopers is this week's game and you can find the past leaderboards and challenge rules at the link in my signature, or at the link provided by the fine gentleman above me. Good luck.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

wasilewski

Here is another great video from a Japanese player. Notice how he milks the enemies for maximum points by shooting them a little first then rolling in and performing a melee attack.

wasilewski

meppi64

@OorWullie I kinda know what you mean about Strikers.
I got Strikers 1945 II first in 2000 at a small import shop that I used to take the train to once a month to get my Japanese Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, Super Famicom and Neo Geo Pocket fix as you couldn't find any of this stuff anywhere else here. (Not at least that I was aware of)
The thing with having to use a little shop like that was that you couldn't just pick and choose what games you wanted as they only had a very limited stock. But you could give them a list of games they would source for you and call you if any of them came in.
So in 2000 I finally got Strikers 1945 II and fell in love with it immediately. I think that was even my first Psykio game I played.

A year later, after finally getting a steady job and not being an interim anymore, like I was for 3 years prior, I finally got my first Visa card. Went to videogameimports online and the floodgates were opened.
All of a sudden I had tons of games to pick from, games that had been on my wishlist for years now but somehow never were available. (Well, games they couldn't scalp me on at the old shop it seems...)
So I did a big first order of almost nothing but shoot em ups.

Cotton NeoGeo Pocket Japan 48 € Wed 19 September 2001 Videogameimports
Soukyugurentai Sega Saturn Japan 75 € Wed 19 September 2001 Videogameimports
Gekirindan Sega Saturn Japan 48 € Wed 19 September 2001 Videogameimports
Strikers 1945 Sega Saturn Japan 48 € Wed 19 September 2001 Videogameimports
Dodonpachi Sega Saturn Japan 60 € Wed 19 September 2001 Videogameimports
Blast Wind Sega Saturn Japan 25 € Wed 19 September 2001 Videogameimports
The Game Paradise Sega Saturn Japan 95 € Wed 19 September 2001 Videogameimports
Gunbird Sega Saturn Japan 60 € Wed 19 September 2001 Videogameimports
Salamander Deluxe Pack Sega Saturn Japan 63 € Wed 19 September 2001 Videogameimports
Silhouette Mirage Sega Saturn Japan 85 € Wed 19 September 2001 Videogameimports

I actually got Strikers 1945 for nearly half of what I paid for II a year before.
When I first played it, I felt the same.
I couldn't shake the thought that the first game was even better than the second.
The music, the atmosphere, it being less frantic that the sequel.
But nowadays, I can no longer seem to make up my mind. I go back and forth all the time, thinking yep, the first one is certainly my favourite, then the next day going, Strikers II is really the perfect game. lol
Sufice to say, I love them both.

PS, I always set my games as no continues as well.
It makes learning the games and making progress a lot more rewarding.
Doing a couple of play thoughs by credit feeding is good to get to know the game a bit better, especially as I won't be seeing those final stages very often.

The furthest I've gotten on Strikers 1 on Switch is 1-4 with one credit. And also 1-4 on Strikers II, but only with the Ki84 so far.
I'm really hoping we'll see Strikers 1945 III as well as Plus.

meppi64

AgentLA

@wasilewski
Great tips on that site! Very useful info, especially the close combat fighting. Thanks!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721 | Twitter:

AgentLA

@wasilewski

That is key, I put in a few hours on this yesterday and that method is how I’m trying to pump up my score. If you’d get a blue gem for every stab, it be much easier to get a very high score. As other have mentioned, too bad it’s random.

wasilewski

@Agent721 yeah it's very random. I think if you can shoot some of the enemies a few times, roll and then stab them that way you will rack up a huge score. It's very, very difficult though!

wasilewski

DashKappei

Got a score of 3165500 currently 10th on the Caravan leaderboards.
I can see @Qualitybits with a better score than mine

Edited on by DashKappei

DashKappei

Switch Friend Code: SW-7921-9388-6881

wasilewski

Nice work, @DashKappei and @Qualitybits. I haven't been playing much today, but am gonna have a go later, although the top 10 is far off for me.

wasilewski

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic