Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 3,461 to 3,480 of 3,493

OorWullie

@Corneel I'm not sure I'll be able to enter a time on Virtua Racing as I've ashamedly never managed to complete 5 laps on Acropolis, in fact I haven't even completed my 4th. To be fair I haven't spent a lot of time on Acropolis since I bought the game but considering my best on Bay Bridge is the final corner of the 5th lap after at least 10 hours of playing that track, it doesn't bode well for me. Even on normal, the time limits are really strict, one slip up and it's over. lI'll give it a good go though, I love the game but I'm clearly crap at it πŸ˜‰

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Mr Mustard πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡­
SW-6101-8403-1640

πŸ•ΉοΈ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards πŸ•ΉοΈ

mauhlin12

There is a bonus point for having the best lap time, so it might be possible that the fastest lap in this group might be from a person in this group who never finishes a race.

mauhlin12

Switch Friend Code: sw-1462-2641-1823 | Nintendo Network ID: mauhlin12

bushidosnail

I'm going to sit this one out. I don't have the funds right now for Raiden V, I'm not even sure how to get Darius without importing, and the time/quarters I spent in my younger days at Virtua Racing is more than enough for me, I despised that game. Best of luck to everyone and thanks as always @Corneel for the time you spend putting this together! Hope everyone had a good summer!

Switch Profile name - bushido

Switch Friend Code: SW-7472-3544-3419

Moroboshi876

bushidosnail wrote:

I'm going to sit this one out. I don't have the funds right now for Raiden V, I'm not even sure how to get Darius without importing, and the time/quarters I spent in my younger days at Virtua Racing is more than enough for me, I despised that game. Best of luck to everyone and thanks as always @Corneel for the time you spend putting this together! Hope everyone had a good summer!

Same here. I was looking forward to the new challenge, but I really wanted to play the games on Switch or at least Xbox One. Don't own any of them, and voted for others that didn't win, so... But next time!

Switch code: SW-2291-6286-4620

Nintendo 3DS code: 2879-0476-7598

My Nintendo: Toni | Twitter:

bushidosnail

@Moroboshi876 I didn't see the notification in time to research any of the games, but to be fair I'm pretty sure I didn't have any of them so I didn't vote so that people could play what they wanted. I had to replace my old dying PC so my spending cash is going to be tight until after the holidays, so I'm likely only going to be playing games I already have, or are on sale/under 10 dollars for a while. Virtua Racing falls into that category, but that particular game is a hard pass for me. Raiden V is actually one I'm really interested in, but I can't justify the price right now, especially for a single shmup that I'll only play for a couple of hours. I'll pick it up when it's on sale someday for sure. I definitely look forward to the next batch though!

Switch Profile name - bushido

Switch Friend Code: SW-7472-3544-3419

AgentLA

First score for Virtua Racing. What a fun racing game, still as much fun today as it was year’s ago.

Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot πŸš€

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721 | Twitter:

Shmupsnstuff

@OorWullie I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue! I'm going to keep trying, but basically I'll just be happy if I can finish the race. Got very close, but, man, it's tough.

@Corneel I saw your Raiden score. Impressive. I've got one of my own I'll post soon but came up juuust short of yours.

Darius Gaiden I've yet to give full attention to.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NShmups

Corneel

@OorWullie, There actually is some margin for error on the track. For me putting the steering on arcade was very helpful, since it was less twitchy that way and was able to steer more controlled. Then by slightly turning into a corner you keep more speed. That's what worked for me anyway.

@bushidosnail That's a bummer you don not own any of the games for this challenge. Hope that next round you have at least one title. Also putting an import only title on here was a bit of a gamble with regards to participation. Next time it will again be games that are available in the EU shop.

@Moroboshi876 Hope next round the selection is better for you

@Agent721 Nice one!

@Shmupsnstuff Still got more than three weeks to beat my score then
Also it's the first Darius for this challenge, not Darius Gaiden.

Arcade Challenges High Scores
Switch friend code: 8315-2784-9697

Corneel

My current high scores for the challenges:

GFoyle

Slowly getting warmed up myself, got to stage 4 in Darius (A-C-F-J), able to get the full 5 laps in Virtual Racing Acropolis, but tons of room to improve and very early stages still in Raiden V where there is tons of room improve in the remaining challenge time.

I have to say that I probably wouldn't ever had played Darius much at all without this challenge and now I have started to like it more and more even though it has that eighties shmup roughness, which I'm not usually huge fan of.

GFoyle

Switch Friend Code: SW-0120-0521-0269

mauhlin12

Which ship/weapons are you guys using in Raiden? I'm still just experimenting and can get to stage 3 and get through stage 1 without taking damage.

mauhlin12

Switch Friend Code: sw-1462-2641-1823 | Nintendo Network ID: mauhlin12

Moroboshi876

I'm a little confused. Are people outside NL taking part in these challenges? Twitter posts would suggest that.

I'm not participating this time (although Virtua Racing is on sale in Mexico), but I like to watch you guys.

Lroy

@Moroboshi876 Yes, I believe the participants are from Adult Switch Gamers Discord primarily, then this thread on NL and finally from Twitter as @corneel has set-up an account there dedicated to these arcade challenges.

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Moroboshi876

@Lroy I see. But then when the challenge ends what is leaderboard going to be made of? I mean here in the thread. Will it be a NL only version?

Lroy

@Moroboshi876 The man to ask is @Corneel but I would imagine the leaderboard would be made up of all people who took part no matter what platform of social media they used to post their scores.

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Corneel

Yes, it is exactly what @Lroy is saying. It will be a list made up from NL forum, Adult Switch Gamers Discord and Twitter. There has been an huge overlap anyway between those.

OorWullie

@Corneel What's the deadline for the Virtua Racing challenge? I think I might actually be able to submit a time if there's a few more days. I've improved a lot at the game the last few days. My best is just short of the hairpin checkpoint on my 5th lap so I've still got a bit to do but that's a full lap better than I managed last week. Love this game!

@Shmupsnstuff How's it going for you?

Can't get enough of the original Vasara, brilliant game. It's pretty tough going though, more so than the Psikyo shmups anyway, Dragons Blaze aside. Hope to see it feature in a future challenge. I've not played the sequel too much, hasn't clicked with me in the same way.

Edited on by OorWullie

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Mr Mustard πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡­
SW-6101-8403-1640

πŸ•ΉοΈ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards πŸ•ΉοΈ

Corneel

@OorWullie It really is a great game isn't it. I have also grown to love it quite a bit during this challenge.

There are still almost two weeka left, so hopefully you'll be able to submit a time. September 14 23:59 is the end date.

Shmupsnstuff

@OorWullie Well, I made it to the end! Key is that hairpin really. I can take it decently most laps now, but I need to cut out the silly errors through the rest of the track if I want to challenge our main man, Corneel.

Really did not expect to get so much out of that title, but I'm really, really loving it. Great set of challenges!

https://mobile.twitter.com/NShmups

Alshie

Managed to get a decent improvement on my Darius score but still can’t get past the boss on level C.

When you die once it’s exponentially harder...

Enjoyed this though - followed the thread for ages but first time I’ve signed up and posted. In awe of some of your scores and times. Didn’t get a chance to play much Raiden or VR unfortunately.

Alshie

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic