Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 3,341 to 3,360 of 3,493

Lroy

And man! Is GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES beautifully animated or what? Superb gameplay too. A 1v1 fighter up there with the very top-tier SF iterations.

FINAL FIGHT is an all-time classic beat-em up. ALPHA MISSION is more of a minor curio vertical shooter but I’m in for all of them this round. Great line-up.

Edited on by Lroy

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

CW13

@Lroy Used all my gold points for the last pack of Williams Tables, ha!

CW13

Switch Friend Code: SW-3787-0663-7007 | 3DS Friend Code: 0104-0625-3826 | Twitter:

Lroy

@CW13 Ha! Ha! Fair enough πŸ‘

Moroboshi876

Considering ACA Neo Geo Puzzle Bobble is the arcade version, would the rom in MAME be valid? If not, I'll pass on this one, because I have Puzzle Bobble 2 on Switch and I'm not planning on getting the first entry.

Alpha Mission and Final Fight... I have both. Dammit. LOL

Switch code: SW-2291-6286-4620

Nintendo 3DS code: 2879-0476-7598

My Nintendo: Toni | Twitter:

Moroboshi876

I finish the first stage on Final Fight, but barely. And then Andore Jr. is imho a cheap enemy.

Not the first time I play this game, but I had always played it very casually. Now it's my chance to get serious. But boy, 2 lives and that difficulty...

Corneel

Sorry guys, I'm a bit behind with updating the leaderboards. Will do that tomorrow night.

@CW13 If I am not mistaken, the Snes version has other power ups, so that version cannot be used for this challenge.

@Moroboshi876 Sure the rom is fine to use. High score mode uses the default settings.

Arcade Challenges High Scores
Switch friend code: 8315-2784-9697

Moroboshi876

@Corneel Great! I'll just not continue and it should be the same.

Lroy

@bushidosnail Great score buddy! And hang on? Only got to round 3. That’s amazing.

Edited on by Lroy

bushidosnail

@Lroy Thanks, friend The trick, in my opinion anyway, for high score chasing on this one is not to clear as many levels as possible. It's to take advantage of the easier early levels and set yourself up for an easy clear shot on one side, and then dangle as many bubbles as possible off of it on the other side to get a high multiplier. I'm not sure of the exact mechanics but it seems to be pretty much exponential per bubble dropped once you get a large enough combo. It's easier said than done and you have to take into account the screen shrinking as you are doing it, but you can get a million per stage fairly consistently once you get used to it. As you get later in the game you're lucky to just clear the stage in time and can't really go for a high score stack on it.

Switch Profile name - bushido

Switch Friend Code: SW-7472-3544-3419

Moroboshi876

@bushidosnail I have yet to try the first Puzzle Bobble, but spent several hours on Puzzle Bobble 2 and neared the 10 million mark, so I guess the score system is different. Round 14 is the farthest I've been able to go.

Anyway, in that game at least the first 2-3 stages let you clear all the bubbles with a couple shots and that's what gives you points quickly. I never had the impression that going for individual bubbles gave you multipliers or anything. What I gathered so far is the fastest you clean a stage, the highest the score. Maybe this was changed from the first entry?

bushidosnail

@Moroboshi876 I haven't played 2 so I can't really comment on that. A fast clear on the early levels in this one will only give you 40-50k bonus points in my experience, while taking your time and dropping a lot of bubbles can give you 1-2mil. Perhaps there is a fast clear strategy that works, but if so I'm clearly not anywhere near fast enough

Moroboshi876

@bushidosnail Dammit! And here I was thinking I had a chance to win this challenge because of my Puzzle Bobble 2 scores, that got me once in the World's Top 40 (but later the same score fell to lower positions).

Well, in PB2 you get 500,000 points for clearing the stage in less than 5 seconds, for instance, and the bonus for all the bubbles that fall, but I can see the way you play changes a lot in PB1 (well, the other way around), which makes it interesting to try out.

bushidosnail

@Moroboshi876 Five seconds? Haha, maybe you do get that kind of crazy bonus. I'll have to give that a try at some point.

Corneel

It took a bit longer than usual but the leaderboards are created and up to date.

Also there is a slight alteration for the GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES challenge. We will still play high score mode, but please take a screenshot of the fighter roster that shows how far you got. Like this:
Untitled

Point will then be awarded according to how far you got. Defeated 1 opponent = 1 point; 2 opponents = 2 points etc. Beat the final boss = 10 points. Enjoy!!

Corneel

And some early scores:

Untitled
Puzzle Bobble (191,960): I like the game a lot, but I'm really, really bad at it. Clearing the stage as quickly as possible is not the way to go as it seems, so this will take some adjusting.

Untitled
Alpha Mission (30,710): First boss is a pain. Trying to figure out how to get full armor at that point as that seems to be the way to beat him.

Untitled
Final Fight (first stage beat): Need to be a bit more patient and structured, trying not to trigger too much enemies at once. Normally I credit feed through this game, but it's really fun to play it with just a single credit.

Untitled
Garou: Mark of the Wolves (3 opponents defeated): Never played this one, but it's a joy. Animations are on par with Street Fighter III. Will be playing this and Final Fight a lot during this challenge.

Edited on by Corneel

Moroboshi876

@Corneel You make me want to try Puzzle Bobble 1 too, because it really seems to play differently. In PB2 clearing stages as soon as possible is the way to go.

In Final Fight I'm in the same position.

And Garou Mark of the Wolves is definitely in my wishlist, but I was hoping to acquire a little Fatal Fury lore before I bought it, meaning playing the first 2 (which I own in other systems) with depth and buying FF3. Now you guys are tempting me.

Moroboshi876

People, today the Arcade Classics inside Konami Anniversary Collection gets released. It contains a lot of shmups that I guess will be part of these challenges one day. I don't know if they'll feature online leaderboards, but it says "powered by Arcade Archives", and don't overlap with the Konami Arcade Archive titles announced for the Switch individually, which is great. The titles are:

-Gradius
-Gradius II
-Salamander
-Scramble
-Twinbee
-Haunted Castle (it's a Castlevania, so no spaceships here)
-Thunder Cross
-Typhoon

Corneel

@Moroboshi876 And now you make me want to play Puzzle Bobble 2 too
For Final Fight, most of us are stuck in stage 2 at the moment. It's more difficult than I remember. You very easily get overwhelmed by enemies.
Also, just buy Garou already, you know you will eventually... might as well do it now

I was planning on one of the challenges next round being a Konami shoot em up challenge. So we will vote for our favorite shooter from this collection soon. Feel free to make suggestions for the other challenges.

Moroboshi876

I've just read a review of the Konami Anniversary Collection Arcade Classics that calls it lazy and, more importantly, says that only the American versions have been included. I wasn't expecting that from Hamster.

Does it happen to Arcade Archives Time Pilot too?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic