Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 3,281 to 3,300 of 3,493

Corneel

Untitled

Results time! The second round of challenges has ended. Many thanks to everyone for participating again! We had a nice variety of games this round and it was fun to see everyone pick there favorite challenge and focus on that.

Detailed results for this challenge round can be found here and the OUT RUN + AQUA KITTY UDX highschores here. These will stay available.

HIGH SCORE CHALLENGE 3 | OUT RUN | 1st @Agent721 21,554,000 | 2nd @Tatanak 15,973,370 | 3rd @Bushidosnail 12,096,200
@Agent721 quickly took pole position with @Tatanak and @Bushidosnail on his tail. The rest of us have been stuck in traffic I guess. 6th until 10th place all finished close together with scores between 6,000,000 and 5,500,000.

HIGH SCORE CHALLENGE 4 | AQUA KITTY UDX | 1st @RetroGamerAndrew 141,351 | 2nd @Tatanak 112,706 | 3rd @OorWullie 82,057
@RetroGamerAndrew got a strong start at the beginning of the challenge with a fur-midable 8th place on the in-game leaderboard. @Tatanak took on the challenge and got close, but not close enough.

SURVIVAL CHALLENGE 3 | THUNDER FORCE IV | Leader: @GFoyle (stage 9 boss)
There seems to be a bit or a love it or hate it thing going on with this one. The game is very unforgiving early on and that shows in the results. @GFoyle is close to a 1CC run on this one, and I suspect he will get there soon. Runners up are @Tatanak and @Zkibu who both got to stage 6, @Corneel (stage 8) and @Moroboshi876 who beat two levels.

SURVIVAL CHALLENGE 4 | WILD GUNS RELOADED | Leader: @Tatanak (armored train boss)
Very fun game, but also very unforgiving with only @Tatanak getting past the third level. @Agent721 and @Corneel reached the mining level, @GFoyle reached the 'ammunition depot' boss @Lroy reached the 'ammunition depot' level.

Final results for round 2:
1st @Tatanak 26 points | 2nd @GFoyle 21 points | 3rd @Agent721 16 points

Again, thanks to everyone for making this a success! The next set of challenges will be announced shorty!

Edited on by Corneel

Arcade Challenges High Scores
Switch friend code: 8315-2784-9697

Corneel

Season one | round three | starts today! | ends 13th of April 23:59 CET

Each month there are four challenges to compete in. Pick the challenge you like most and go all out with that one, or spread your chances and do multiple challenges during that month. In each challenge you can get ten points. At the end of each month we will have a leaderboard with the combined scores for that month and at the end of the season we'll combine the scores and see who our top players are.

The challenges are divided into two categories. First we have the good old high score challenges. This is where you compete for a top spot on the leaderboards. The top 10 players get awarded with points. Top player 10 points, runner up 9 points etc. Your submitted score will also be placed on our leaderboards for bragging rights. If the challenge ever comes back...you will have to first beat your previous highscore before you can start earning points during that challenge.

Secondly we have the survival challenges. This is a bit more casual and the focus here is on getting as far in the game as you can without worrying about your highscore. Points will be awarded based on certain goals. This will change for each game.

If you want to participate in one or multiple challenges, all you need to do is post your screenshot in this thread and you will get on the scorebook and the leaderboards. You can also have a look at the Adult Switch Gamers Discord where we have our own little arcade corner.

The challenges for this month are:

Untitled

Highscore challenge 5 | DIG DUG (NSW, XB1, PS4, PC and others)

Rules: NORMAL MODE | DEFAULT SETTINGS

First appeared in arcades in 1982 and quickly became on of the most popular arcade games ever. We will be digging through the dirt, dropping rocks on those cute FYGAR dragons and inflating a bunch of POOKA's. Available on Switch in the Namco Museum and on other systems as a separate release in the Arcade Game Series. Just post a screenshot of your final score on the in-game leaderboard.

Highscores will be put on the DIG DUG leaderboard.

Untitled

Highscore challenge 6 | STRIKERS 1945 (NSW)

Rules | NORMAL difficulty (level 5) | 3 LIVES | 0 CONTINUES | 600,000 EXTEND SCORE

Get your Flip Grip ready for this vertical shoot 'em up from Psikyo that needs no introduction! This was done previously in a weekly challenge with 2 continues, but we'll be doing 0 continues for this challenge. Just post a screenshot of your highscore.

Highscores will be put on the STRIKERS 1945 leaderboard.

Untitled

SURVIVAL CHALLENGE 5 | SHOCK TROOPERS (NSW, PS4, XB1, NeoGeo)

Rules | ORIGINAL MODE or Hi SCORE MODE | Continues: OFF | 3 Lives | Level 4 Difficulty

We will take down the Bloody Scorpions and their Commander in this 1997 gem from Saurus. Go LONLY WOLF (god bless Engrish) with one character and three lives or TEAM MODE and pick three characters to swap with during your adventure. Pick your preferred route for your journey; MOUNTAIN, VALLEY or JUNGLE. Halfway through you get the option to swap between routes, although you get an extra bonus level if you do so. Points are awarded according to the stages you beat. Take a screenshot after you died that still shows the level.

Goals:

Untitled

Untitled

SURVIVAL CHALLENGE 6 | DEVIL ENGINE (NSW, PC)

Rules | ARCADE mode | VERY HARD or VERY EASY | RANK OK

Only released last month, but already very popular in our poll. We will try to make it to the final stage of the game, on either VERY EASY (available after an attempt at VERY HARD) or VERY HARD with the latter offering more points for completion. The game offers many unlockables for your total combined score including added continues. You are free to use them all, you will need them... Make sure to take a screenshot of the 'Game Over' screen that still show the level in the background.

Also a special mention for the soundtrack that features several tracks written by Hyakutarou Tsukumo, know for his work on Thunder Force V.

Goals:

Untitled

Also, for those interested, here are the results from the voting for this round: Surveymonkey results.

Have fun!

Lroy

@Corneel Updated my post with pics.

Thanks for organising all the results and arranging the new challenge games. Bravo!

I’ll be playing DIG DUG, STRIKERS 1945 and SHOCK TROOPERS. Gonna skip DEVIL’S ENGINE as I don’t own it and have spent way too much cash on games lately πŸ˜‚

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Tatanak

Great challenge, thanks @Corneel for your work. A big surprise for me was Wild Guns Reloaded. I bought it a few days ago on Steam. It's an awesome game. For the round three I have Devil Engine and I will buy Strikers 1945 and Shock Troopers.

Edited on by Tatanak

Switch Friend Code: SW-0707-1268-9888
Twitter: Tatanak

Moroboshi876

Great! This month I can't play more than 2 games, because I only have Shock Troopers and Dig Dug, which is better for focus! I'm not going to win, especially Dig Dug is a game like Pac-man to me: I enjoy it, but I can't get too far, so I'll be glad to just participate and try to do my best.

Switch code: SW-2291-6286-4620

Nintendo 3DS code: 2879-0476-7598

My Nintendo: Toni | Twitter:

Microjak

Hi ,just curious as to what controllers people are using for shmups/arcade games,do arcade sticks make a huge difference,especially for shmups? cheers

Microjak

RetroGamerAndrew

@Microjak I play almost 99% of the times on the go, with my joycon in portable mode. For shmup I sometimes use the HORI lef joycon, which has a d-pad (not an exceptional one, but still...).
I have a modded HORI RAP4 Kai arcade stick, but I seldom use it nowadays.

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

Lroy

@Microjak I have the HORI Arcade stick for Switch but use my Pro Controller most of the time out of habit and ease of accessibility.

Microjak

Thanks for the response guys,I was hoping someone would tell me that I will suddenly become awesome if I buy a decent arcade stick,but I guess I will just stick with my pro controller and practice practice practice,cheers

Microjak

AgentLA

I’m just starting on this month’s challenge and here is an early Dig Dug Score along with my set up and some pics of a late edition Atari Digdug Box. This game is an 80s arcade classic so it was released on a ton of really old systems including the famous Atari 2600.

Edited on by AgentLA

Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot πŸš€

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721 | Twitter:

AgentLA

@Microjak

Hello, as you can see above by scrolling through the pics, I use joycons with the flip grip. For games playable in TATE mode, I think that’s the best way to go.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721 | Twitter:

Lroy

@Agent721 Well played. I’m loving DIG DUG. Hard to maximise scoring whilst avoiding being hit but tons of classic arcade fun.

AgentLA

@Lroy

Thanks! The trick is to kill as many with a rock as possible and more than one if you can at a time. Which is of course harder said than done as you have to get them to follow you and then properly set them up for squashing. I always played Dig Dug in the arcade but was never very good at it. This challenge gives me a chance to revisit this oldie but goodie. Very fun so far.

Corneel

@CW13 Amazing score! I doubt anyone will be able to get close to it during this challenge.

I made some minor improvements with Shock Troopers; got to the end of stage 4 (valley route) and Dig Dug; 37530.

Untitled
Untitled

GFoyle

My current progress at this time is

• stuck with latter half of stage 5 easy on DE and not really improving, a bit sad really.
  • 474100 on Strikers
  • and middle of stage 4 on shock troopers.

Focus have been a bit all over the place for the past couple of weeks and it shows, but hoping I get a bit of improvement in the second half of the challenge.

btw. for those who wonder, the challenge has quite a good participation even though this thread hasn't been super active lately. The discussions just been over at the 'adult switch gamers' discord channel lately.

Edited on by GFoyle

GFoyle

Switch Friend Code: SW-0120-0521-0269

Lroy

Voted for the next set of challenges, thanks @corneel

AgentLA

I managed to reach Stage 4 on Shock Troopers via the valley route. I’m hoping to press harder next week. I’m using the big mama chick...for some reason she works best for me. What’s everyone else using?

I still haven’t broken 300k on Strikers which is bothering me. I’m mid 40k on Dig Dug & hoping for more!

Edited on by AgentLA

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic