Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 3,161 to 3,180 of 3,493

GFoyle

I posted my screenshots over at discord yesterday, but I got to the last boss in Gunbird, came second in AF2 I think and my couple of runs of Metal Slug got me to the stage 4 I think (yeah, that was a bit weak effort on Metal Slugh my part). Skipped Pac-man.

AF2 was more fun than I expected. Gunbird was ok, but it's still definitely more polished game of those two, I'm just a bit spoiled because of those later Psikyo games I find better versions of that style of shmup.

Eagerly waiting to hear what will be the next challenge games!

Oh and I'm really glad this kind of challenge format got so good start! (btw for those who aren't over at discord too are missing about half of the discussions) Hopefully the next one will continue and even pick up the pace!

GFoyle

Switch Friend Code: SW-0120-0521-0269

GFoyle

Oh and huge thanks again to @Corneel for running these! That reminds me, hopefully we get the founder of the challenges @OorWullie to participate in these again too!

GFoyle

Switch Friend Code: SW-0120-0521-0269

Lroy

Yeah, come back @Oorwullie even if itโ€™s just to say hi and talk about your amazing skills on TETRIS 99! (@naviandmii kindly shared a tweet of yours over on the Discord, mad skills).

๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast ๐Ÿ•น | ๐Ÿš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Corneel

The first set of challenges has ended! We had an amazing comeback with the Arcade Challenges and the only reason for this are you guys. Thank you all for participating, posting in this forum and on the Discord channel and for creating a positive atmosphere. The new format seems to work out excellent with everyone picking the games they like to play. (Suggestions regarding this format are welcome, there is always room for improvement)

Detailed results for this challenge round can be found here and the highschores here. These will stay available.

High score challenge 1 | Aero Fighters 2 | 1st Tatanak 783.800 | 2nd GFoyle 738.300 | 3rd RetroGamerAndy 514.500
The in-game leaderboard has been flooded by us! We now have at least ten people in the top 100 with @Tatanak taking fourth place and @GFoyle eight place. The impressive score set by Tatanak proved to be unreachable, although not for a lack of trying. GFoyle made huge improvements and came very close. The rest of us where fighting for third place with @RetroGamerAndy being victorious.

High score challenge 2 | Pac-man | 1st Zkibu 121.690 | 2nd RetroGamerAndrew 42.010 | 3rd Corneel 39.870
We have a truly unbelievable highscore from @Zkibu who went all-out at the beginning of the challenge. The goal was reaching the top 50 of the in-game leaderboard and that only took a mere couple of days. Miles behind him there was a fight for second place going on with @RetroGamerAndrew claiming that spot a few days before the challenge ended. Also a special mention to @Agent721 who was playing this challenge on a [http://www.numskull.com/pac-man-quarter-size-arcade-cabinet]quarter size mini Pac-man cabinet[/url].

Survival challenge 1 | Gunbird
This challenge was a bit more difficult than we initially though it would be. Mainly because using a continue sets you back at the beginning of the stage (from stage 5 onward) and that made it a bit tricky. Nobody beat the game using these settings. @GFoyle came closest by reaching the final cat-gremlin boss.

Survival challenge 2 | Metal Slug
Huge congratulations to @Takanak for beating the game and not even using all continues in the process. @Zkibu was also very close but got overwhelmed in the part with the turret in the last level. The rest of us mostly got stuck on the fourth or fifth level.

Final results season 1, month 1
1st RetroGamerAndrew 31 points | 2nd Corneel 28 points | 3rd GFoyle 22 points
Congratulations @RetroGamerAndrew !! With a great overall result on all four challenges you are victorious in this months challenge!

Again, thanks to everyone who joined for making this a success! @Moroboshi876 @Lroy @Zkibu @riccyjay @GFoyle @Agent721 @Tatanak @GrailUK @settingsun209

The next set of challenges will be announced shortly!

Untitled Untitled
Untitled Untitled

Edited on by Corneel

Arcade Challenges High Scores
Switch friend code: 8315-2784-9697

Corneel

Season one | month two | starts today! | ends 16th of March 23:59 CET

Each month there are four challenges to compete in. Pick the challenge you like most and go all out with that one, or spread your chances and do multiple challenges during that month. In each challenge you can get ten points. At the end of each month we will have a leaderboard with the combined scores for that month and at the end of the season we'll combine the scores and see who our top players are.

The challenges are divided into two categories. First we have the good old high score challenges. This is where you compete for a top spot on the leaderboards. The top 10 players get awarded with points. Top player 10 points, runner up 9 points etc. Your submitted score will also be placed on our leaderboards for bragging rights. If the challenge ever comes back...you will have to first beat your previous highscore before you can start earning points during that challenge.

Secondly we have the survival challenges. This is a bit more casual and the focus here is on getting as far in the game as you can without worrying about your highscore. Points will be awarded based on certain goals. This will change for each game.

If you want to participate in one or multiple challenges, all you need to do is post your screenshot in this thread and you will get on the monthly leaderboard and the high score leaderboards. You can also have a look at the Adult Switch Gamers Discord where we have our own little arcade corner.

The challenges for this month are:

Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled

Highscore challenge 3 | Out Run (Switch, 3DS)

Pick your favorite tune and drive into the sunset with this arcade classic. We will be racing for points in this challenge. So choose the route that works best for you and be sure to take a screenshot of your highscore after the race is over with your red Ferrari Testarossa Spider still in the picture so we know no tune-ups have been used.

Rules: Default (New mode | 3 difficulty | 3 time limit | no tune-ups)

Highscore challenge 4 | Aqua Kitty UDX (Switch, PS4, PSVita, XBone, PC)

Defender but with cats! You and your team of milk mining kittens have to overcome a fear of water to drill down under the ocean seabed to begin extracting naturally forming full-fat milk! Go for a highscore in the arcade mode of the game. This will take you to the first stage of the game and onward. If you die, it's game over. Take a screenshot of the in-game leaderboard after you die.

Rules: Arcade mode, normal difficulty

Survival challenge 3 | Thunder Force IV (Switch, Mega Drive, Saturn)

Originally released in 1992 on the Sega Mega Drive, this game is considered one of the best shoot em ups on the system. There are ten stages, the first four can be played in any order. Points will be awarded based on your progress in the game. Take a screenshot of your game over screen. Kids mode not allowed!!

Rules: Japanese version | Normal mode | you can use all 6 continues the game provides you with

Goals:
1 point - beat one the first four levels
2 points - reach level 5
3 points - reach level 6
4 points - reach level 7
5 points - reach level 7 boss
6 points - reach level 8
7 points - reach level 8 boss
8 points - reach level 9
9 points - reach level 9 boss
10 points - beat the game!
Special rules: 5 bonus points for a 1CC!!

Survival challenge 4 | Wild Guns Reloaded (Switch, PS4, PC)

Shootout at high noon! This arcade-style shooting gallery mixes the Wild West with steampunk and was originally released for the SNES in 1994 by Natsume. This Reloaded edition has new characters, stages and modes. We will try to beat the game using 0 continues. Take a screenshot of the 'game over' screen (or the 'all clear' screen).

Rules: Normal difficulty | any character | you cannot use any continues
Route: Carson city > Ammunition depot > Gold mine > Armored train > Underground > Final fight

Goals:
1 point - reach first level boss on the rooftop
2 points - reach 'ammunition depot' boss
3 points - reach 'gold mine' boss (metal spider-crab)
4 points - reach 'armored train'
5 points - reach 'armored train' boss
6 points - reach 'underground'
7 points - reach 'underground' boss
8 points - reach 'final fight'
9 points - reach final boss
10 points - beat the game!

Have fun!

Any of the old crew joining us again for this round? @OorWullie @CroRock @DashKappei @masterLEON @CW13 @ScottyB @Steveovig @bushidosnail @CaffeinatedGamer @Rogueleader76 @theShpydar @Krull @Jbs-Dad @Stargazer @Fafounet

Edited on by Corneel

Lroy

Sterling job @corneel !

Tatanak

Impressive scores, everyone! And special congratulations to @RetroGamerAndrew, @Corneel and @GFoyle for reaching the first three places of the season challenge one.
A great selection of games for the next round, I own Aqua Kitty and TF IV, I will definitely buy Out Run. Iยดm tempted to buy WGR too, it reminds me of the excellent arcade game Cabal which I played on the arcade machine with my friends a long time ago.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0707-1268-9888
Twitter: Tatanak

Lroy

Just picked up Sega Ages OUTRUN on Switch. Previously bought the game on 3DS and many other platforms but thought what the hell. Be cool to play it on Switch for this next challenge.

Think Iโ€™m going to pass on AQUA KITTY UDX though. Could never motivate myself enough to click โ€˜buyโ€™ even when it was previously discounted. Iโ€™d need a demo to try methinks. Already own Sega Ages THUNDER FORCE IV and WILD GUNS RELOADED ๐Ÿ‘Œ

Corneel

@Lroy Maybe think again about that Aqua Kitty game. I wasn't sure it would be fun either, but after picking it up, I must say it's a really well executed Defender type game. The controls are super tight and this makes all the difference. Don't miss out on this one.

@Tatanak Never heard of that Cabal game but gameplay footage looks really similar to Wild Guns. And looks like tons of fun! And just buy Wild Guns. You know you will eventually... Great fun and it's worth every penny!

Tonight I started a couple of runs in Wild Guns, but it turned out to be many, many runs. Game is hard, but tons of fun and very rewarding. Every 100.000 points you get an extra life and this makes it tempting to go for those flying money bags and other bonus stuff. First two levels are not really that hard once you get the hang of it. Right now I'm at the mining level. Also, if you shoot enough enemy bullets you get this Gatling gun thing and become invincible for a short while.

Untitled

Edited on by Corneel

RetroGamerAndrew

Wow, I didn't think I would win this one! Well that's mainly because aces @GFoyle and @Tatanak didn't take a stab at PAC-MAN I guess... but I'm happy nonetheless!
Btw I have to stress that I'm really impressed by your performance guys. I didn't put too much effort on Gunbird but even if I'd do I doubt I would have been able to reach the last boss. Same goes for your score on AF2, although it was a little easier for me thanks to my previous experience in the Caravan Challenges.
Being a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none paid off this time

Thanks @Corneel for the sterling work! (btw I think I also reached the gatling turret bit in the last stage of Metal Slug - not that it matters, just for the record).

@Lroy: I'll join the choir of people praising AQUA KITTY: it's a very good horizontal shmup, a very simple yet really sweet score chaser.

One think I was thinking of is to keep separate leaderboards by genre and/or type of competition (survival/highscore). For instance we could have a SHMUP leaderboard, a BMUP leaderboard (if/when we'll include them in our challenges) and so on. Those would track how good we're performing in a specific genre and would reward those who prefer sticking to a single game/couple of games.
What do you think?

As always, anyone planning to take part to this second round please drop us a line here or on the relevant Discord server in order to make thing clearer!

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

Moroboshi876

Great! I want to participate in Out Run, Thunder Force IV and Aqua Kitty. But I have to ask, because in the Pac-man challenge I didn't know if I could use the Arcade Game Series Pac-man version on Xbox One, and I asked if it had to be on Namco Museum (Switch) -because some comment led me to think it hadn't-, but never got any answer. On Xbox One I do a little better (just a little).

So this time I want to be prepared and have to ask about Aqua Kitty on One, because that's the version I have. But I see it's not one of the mentioned options. Is that a simple overlook (sadly frequent these days with Xbox One) or is this version ruled out for any reason?

Plus, Wild Guns has to be Reloaded, right? SNES version wouldn't be OK? I thought Realoded was a faithful port with a couple extra characters, but nothing else. If it has more changes or enhancements then I understand why the original version is not taken into account.

Edited on by Moroboshi876

Switch code: SW-2291-6286-4620

Nintendo 3DS code: 2879-0476-7598

My Nintendo: Toni | Twitter:

RetroGamerAndrew

@Moroboshi876 No problem, go on and use the XBOX one version: I suggested Corneel to add Vita and PS4 version myself but I didn't remember it was also out for XBONE.
On the other hand I'm pretty clueless about the difference between SNES WG and modern WGS except for what you already mentioned, so I don't really know (my guess is it would be ok but I can't compare them)

The original fire has died and gone, but the riot inside moves on.

RetroGamerAndrew

Switch Friend Code: SW-3772-6675-0699 | My Nintendo: RetroAndy | Twitter:

Moroboshi876

@RetroGamerAndrew Thanks! I'll be playing Xbox One version then. I bought it some time ago and spent some time with it, after getting to the next thing because of my lack of focus LOL.

romanista

Is someone playing ketsui deathtine? Such a beautiful version of ketsui.

NintendoNetwork: Romanista77, Switch: 5098 6135 1325,3DS 0318 8943 647
PS4: Romanista345, Xbox 360: Romanista, Steam: Romanista345; Wii: 7214 8673 0486 1521

OorWullie

Hey guys, good to see you all still chasing scores.and keeping this thread alive. You've done a great job @Corneel

Life's been a bit mad for me the last few months. Don't know why, but I've kind of lost the passion for my all my arcade games, can't remember the last time I played one. I'm all in for giving this new challenge a go though, well except for Wild Guns. I don't fancy my chances, I've never even reached the 5th stage of Outrun, I struggle with Thunderforce IV and I'm so so with Aqua Kitty. I'll give it my best shot though.

๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Mr Mustard ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡ญ
SW-6101-8403-1640

๐Ÿ•น๏ธ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards ๐Ÿ•น๏ธ

Corneel

@RetroGamerAndrew Sorry about that Metal Slug score. I really thought I double-checked everything that was submitted.

About the separate leaderboards; I like the idea to get insights in specific genres (and yes, we'll definitely have beat em ups soon!). But to be honest, it would be another leaderboard to track and that is maybe a bit much.
What I was thinking of doing at the end of this season, is to create some sort of infographic to highlight in a fun way what we accomplished over the past couple of months when the season is over. It would also be fun to show on there who was the best in specific genres. Would this be a valid alternative to your suggestion?

@Moroboshi876 I forgot to answer that question regarding Pac-man before, sorry for that. You can use any version of Aqua Kitty. It's also on PC I just found out. I'll add those in a minute.
For Wild Guns it's a different story I'm afraid. The Reloaded version has a different stage on normal (and another one on hard) and thus it's not the same as the SNES version. We would have to do the challenge on easy to have the same stages that are on the SNES version. But even then, it has the added widescreen which makes too much of a gameplay change I think. That's why I only picked the Reloaded version. If I am wrong in this, please tell me. This is just according to the short amount of research I did before setting up the challenge.

@OorWullie Very glad to see you again in this thread and to have you on the leaderboards again for the next challenge. Just like the good old days

Lroy

@Corneel @retrogamerandrew Youโ€™re twisting my arm with AQUA KITTY UDX. Iโ€™ll check out some more video reviews chaps.

Oh and big hello to @oorwullie Nice to hear from you buddy.

Moroboshi876

Lroy wrote:

@Corneel @retrogamerandrew Youโ€™re twisting my arm with AQUA KITTY UDX. Iโ€™ll check out some more video reviews chaps.

Oh and big hello to @oorwullie Nice to hear from you buddy.

After seeing it on sale several times (on Xbox One) and yet hesitating, I ended up purchasing it for about 2 euros and I have to say it's a different kind of shmup, but addictive as hell. If you can get it for small change you definitely won't regret it.

Lroy

@Moroboshi876 Yeah, thatโ€™s the thing. Being silly I know but having passed on it several times when it was on sale, I now have to be convinced to buy it full price, lol! Iโ€™ve got plenty to keep me busy anyhow what with OUTRUN, THUNDER FORCE IV and WILD GUNS REMASTERED anyhow.

Moroboshi876

@Lroy Then I wouldn't recommend it to you. I like it, but for a low price game. I don't like it to the point of paying full price. I'm going for 3 of the 4 challenges myself, Wild Guns being the game I never bought even when it was on sale. I didn't know it back in the day and the nostalgia factor didn't work this time.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic