Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 3,141 to 3,160 of 3,493

AgentLA

@Corneel

This competition has been great as it’s given me a real way to try the mini Pac-Man arcade out. It works really well, the only downside is it doesn’t keep your high score if you turn it off. I have other smaller arcade replicas and they keep the high score even when unplugged. Small nitpick. Other than that it’s very well done.

Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot 🚀

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721 | Twitter:

Moroboshi876

I read it wrong. 22 euros is the top price for not paying customs. 15 is OK.

Switch code: SW-2291-6286-4620

Nintendo 3DS code: 2879-0476-7598

My Nintendo: Toni | Twitter:

Corneel

@Agent721 I have seen those smaller replicas also, but that quarter sized model looks like it is a very high quality build. And I believe a Galaga one is on the way also. Those would look nice together.

@Moroboshi876 That's what I was meaning to say yes. Below €22 you do not have to pay customs. So not that bad of a deal for €15 including shipping.

Arcade Challenges High Scores
Switch friend code: 8315-2784-9697

AgentLA

@Corneel

Galaga? I’ll definitely pick that one up!

Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot 🚀

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721 | Twitter:

Moroboshi876

Argh... I just fell 3,000 short of my high score on AF2. All for losing some stupid lives...

Also I've seen that the same stage is easier or harder depending on its placement, am I right? I usually beat the jungle without breaking a sweat, but if it's placed as the 4th stage the enemies come down shooting from the beginning.

Moroboshi876

I have 2 questions: what's the score in Pac-man? General or normal?

And about Metal Slug... What's the deal with prisoners? I rescued several and they thanked me, but weren't taken into account at the end of the stage...

Corneel

@Moroboshi876 If you are using Namco Museum for the Pac-man challenge, you should look at the normal score. There is also an overall tab, but I have no clue how that is calculated.

The deal with the prisoners in Metal Slug is that they provide you with useful items and a bonus score at the end of the level. However, when you die the prisoner counter is cleared and put back to 0. I think that is where the confusion comes from.

For Aero Fighters stages get more difficult the further you get. I am not sure however if this is just the order of the stages you get (progressing in difficulty) or it is a result of the ranking system (not dying means upped difficulty). For me it is more obvious in the Psikyo games how the difficulty ramps up with the different boss patterns etc.

Moroboshi876

@Corneel Thanks! That clears all my doubts. So in Metal Slug prisoners count if you don't die, right? Too bad.

Namco Museum's Pac-man, yes. I thought these challenges had to be done on Switch... isn't it right? What version are you guys playing?

GFoyle

Rank effect in AF2 is clear, especially those super fast surprise bullets some enemies start to throw are annoying as hell, but I guess it's more subtle than in some other shmups. It's not as obvious as the difficult change from stage order, but it's there and you can feel it if you have a good run, the game starts to really punish / hunt you at some point. This is super common mechanic in arcade shmups where the goal was to make money from each credit.

I don't know what affects rank in this game except survival time, number of lives. In some games it's also number of bombs, power ups etc. In some games the rank can be lowered by powering down (later psikyo games at least) by colliding into enemies, but in some it only drops from dying (like Battle Garegga). I think in AF2 it's probably just dying which affects the rank.

In those M2 shot trigger ports of Battle Garegga and Mahou Daisakusen (Sorcer Striker) there is gadget showing the rank as a graph (these are not available for switch unfortunately). It's really cool and it helps to figure out and prepare for it.

GFoyle

Switch Friend Code: SW-0120-0521-0269

Moroboshi876

@GFoyle You made me think about another doubt I have... I believe I noticed that if I don't use bombs with a stage boss, in the new stage the number of bombs is lower. I mean, stacking has no use. Can you confirm it? Or I'm just wrong?

Punishing a good run seems cheap to me.

GFoyle

You can hoard up to 6 bombs I think, after that each one just gives you score I think, not sure how much. I haven't noticed any loss of bombs at a start of the new stages I can recall.

The rank mechanic main, if not only purpose has been making money from this games designed for arcade. Its kinda in the DNA of these games, but I agree, it's a bit cheap, unfair. It's just something you need to know and prepare for (great players say that they are always aware of the rank on some degree at any given moment and how it affects things). It has a positive side too IMO, it makes the game less static and feel's to be more "alive" because there is reaction to how you do.

GFoyle

Switch Friend Code: SW-0120-0521-0269

Moroboshi876

Well, here are my scores. Aero Fighters 2 hasn't changed sadly, I keep doing much worse I don't know why, but here are Pac-man and Metal Slug ones. I guess Metal Slug won't give my points, but still. With 5 credits I reach what seems to be the Mission 3 boss.

Untitled

Untitled

Corneel

@Moroboshi876 I'm afraid that's not even the boss from level 3, although this Rambo dude is much tougher than the actual boss (big tank). You still get points for reaching level 3 though!

Edited on by Corneel

Lroy

Level 3 of METAL SLUG goes on forever, lol!

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 | 🚀
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Moroboshi876

Today I slightly improved Pac-man score. And I'm afraid it's final. Couldn't improve Aero Fighters 2's score, I keep dying stupidly where I didn't before.

Untitled

I tried the patterns, but when I reach the part of "here you're on your own" it's a matter of instincts, so it didn't really make a difference to me. I deeply admire people like @zkibu, it has to be really difficult.

Corneel

My final scores are:

Metal Slug: reach level 6
Untitled

Gunbird: reach level 6
Untitled

Aero Fighters 2: 450.700
Untitled

Pac-man: 39.870
Untitled

riccyjay

No pics for me. Sorry, in China and can't upload screenshots.

Anyway, no improvements to report. Gunbird was the multi-stage dragon / skull / fish boss. Aero Fighters is a rather weak 389,100.

I was on holiday for a lot of the challenge period so didn't get too into it. Hope to be more involved on the next one.

Edit: Hey! Love that bulletin board, by the way! Nice work - looks cool.

Edited on by riccyjay

SW-4616-4310-4138

Corneel

@riccyjay Thanks! No screenshots for this challenge is fine given the circumstance. Your scores are on the leaderboard regardless! Hope you can get some more time in during next challenge.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic