Forums

Topic: Arcade SHMUP High Score Thread

Posts 3,121 to 3,140 of 3,455

Moroboshi876

I'm really enjoying this Aero Fighters 2 challenge, it's really different from playing the arcade mode, because I'm under the pressure of having one credit only and trying to do it the best I can, and it's helping me getting better (I hope this reflects on the arcade mode later).

For now I'm about 350k and placed 115th in the World.

By the way, is there any restriction about which character we can use? Because I notice differences in my performance depending on the character. I do especially better with characters that once powered-up have homing missiles.

Switch code: SW-2291-6286-4620

Nintendo 3DS code: 2879-0476-7598

My Nintendo: Toni | Twitter:

Lroy

@Moroboshi876

hadnโ€™t read your most recent post above

Use the Ninja Pilot Ship, make sure you collect the coins/collectibles as soon as they appear at the highest point up the screen as you can. And be sure to he fully powered weapon wise going into the bonus stage. You can score big in that stage. As a guide, you can achieve a score starting with a 9 by the end of the very first level (Japan).

Also, if you get Paris second. Let the game screen progress all the way to the in-game leaderboard and the game reset screen auto-pops up. Select reset and you should now get a different order of levels. Japan is al always first.

Good luck, you can crack the Top 100.

Edited on by Lroy

๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast ๐Ÿ•น | ๐Ÿš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Moroboshi876

@Lroy Thanks for the advise (I don't know if it was you, but I already read the one of getting the score items as soon as possible in order to receive 10,000 for each of them, and it really helps). I usually end the first level 90,000+, but didn't know every time the second stage is different! I thought it depended on the character, and yes, I try to use a different one each time.

But is Paris supposed to be very difficult for you to give that advise?

Anyway, I'm glad to know this challenge allows to use any character.

The Bonus Stage is a blast, although it bothers me that if you get killed you really lose a life, unlike what usually happens in bonus stages in other games, that you just lose the chance to keep getting points and return to a normal stage.

Corneel

Moroboshi876 You are making great progress already. Should be seeing you pop up in the top 100 leaderboard soon. The one credit pressure is exactly what makes these challenges great. You really get to know the game, instead of just credit feeding your way through it.

No restrictions in what plane you use. Whatever suits you best and get the best results with.
Edit - Lroy was faster in replying to your question

Edited on by Corneel

Moroboshi876

@Corneel Thanks! By the way, I can't browse through the leaderboards, I just can see my page and the top one, but not the ones in the middle or after mine. What am I doing wrong?

Lroy

@Moroboshi876 The levels get more difficult as you go. E.g. the game increases the difficulty. So for example, Jungle level has some collectibles which increase score and are more easy to collect if you get the Jungle earlier in the sequence. Whereas Paris has viewer opportunities for points and is therefore preferable later in the order. Not game changing but just something we noticed when doing the Caravan challenge way back and now again for this High-Score challenge.

Iโ€™m a mere novice myself as @tanaka and @Gfoyle and @RetrogamerAndrew have HUGE scores, so iโ€™ll bow to their greater wisdom on how else to improve your score.

Edited on by Lroy

GFoyle

Ninja or F14 are best bets to get decent score if you aren't experience in the game. I think you can do well with other's too, but you would need to get much further in the game (F15 has powerful powered up main shot, which helps killing bigger enemies, bosses and such much faster, has fastest speed but is not a good as others in the bonus stages which give you a lot of points).

@tatanak you have really good score, how far did you got, I presume Mexico? I will try to get close to your score still, but I have my doubts will I beat it. I just need to get my run together and get pass Australia boss, then I should get closer to the score because of that second bonus stage between Australia and Mexico.

GFoyle

Switch Friend Code: SW-0120-0521-0269

Moroboshi876

59th. Definitely Cindy and Ellen.

Tatanak

@GFoyle Yes, I got to Mexico. I played with Hien FS-X plane, it was great in bonus stages.
@Moroboshi876 Great progress!

Switch Friend Code: SW-0707-1268-9888
Twitter: Tatanak

Lroy

@Moroboshi876 Nice one buddy!

Moroboshi876

I see someone added me to the leaderboard (thanks), although I just said 59th. But the score is correct, my username is Toni (here it's a male name despite the i) and my initials are TRR.

Untitled

Edited on by Moroboshi876

Tatanak

I finally beat Metal Slug.
Untitled
Untitled

Moroboshi876

@tatanak You guys are a bunch of gods of arcade games... Kudos

Corneel

Well done on completing Metal Slug @Tatanak First one to beat it during the challenge. And not even using all 5 continues in the process. Excellent! Are you joining the Pac-man or Gunbird challenge also? @Zkibu could use some competition with the Pac-Man challenge.

@Moroboshi876 That was me who added you. I'm stalking the Aero Fighters 2 leaderboard every now and then to see if anybody made any progress. Cindy & Ellen is definitely the way to go. It got me a score of 450700 without much effort. Need to do a couple of runs to improve on that score. Goal is to make it to the second bonus stage.

Also, just one more week to go for the current challenges! Be sure to check out how you are doing in the challenge leaderboard and highscore leaderboards.

Edited on by Corneel

Tatanak

@Corneel Thanks. I've always liked the Metal Slug but only for this challenge I began to play it more intensively. I learned a few tricks from youtube videos and I'm able to complete mission 1 - 4 without loosing a single life. Mission 5 is ok too, but the final mission is a hell, I hate especially the bridge part.
I dont have other games and I dont like Pac-man too much. I think Iยดm done with this challenge. Thank you for organising this challenge and Iยดm looking forward to the next week.

Edited on by Tatanak

GFoyle

Nice one @Tatanak. That's not that far from 1cc.

I'v have had some break with the challenges for few days, but I'll do some during the last week. Not sure I'll play Metal Slug as I planned, depends how I do with the AF2 and Gunbird in the next sessions.

Yeah, Zkibu should get some competition for Pacman. There was clear initial interest when the challenge started, but maybe Zkibu's score killed the fighting sprit of others !

GFoyle

Switch Friend Code: SW-0120-0521-0269

Moroboshi876

Yesterday I got hooked on Puzzle Bobble 2, sorry, but after a few tries in Aero Fighters 2 I couldn't improve my score. I'll keep trying, though.

The thing is some parts I do better, I even finished the first stage above 100,000 mark, but then I lose stupid lives, which prevents me from getting higher. Or I get to Paris and that stage is more difficult than others, isn't it?

I also think I won't have the time to try Metal Slug. But I want to play this game that I bought quite some time ago on Switch, just haven't tried it. Whenever I played it on modern cabinets I saw I'm not very good, but I like it.

Edited on by Moroboshi876

Lroy

@corneel I have posted photo evidence of my (generally poor) scores in all four games in this challenge, over on the Adult Switch Gamers Discord thread for these challenges. Is that okay? More fiddly getting images posted here.

Edited on by Lroy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic